December Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
    Yes, and it was free bc of a few scratches. This track has already blown my mind:
    Yes, this tracks reminds me a bit of Novos Baianos "Acabou Chorar" I also like "Um Abraco No Lucien Extensivo Ao Edu Lobo" - Dedicated and inspired to John Lucien and Edu Lobo.

Bought mine from this seller http://www.discogs.com/seller/Sean1956cricket he seems to have lots of good brazillian records.

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post

white whale tastes good.
      I'd love me one of these. Boney V played me some stuff off it - unique sounding LP. Saw one at a record fair but it was priced but kind of wish I'd taken the plunge.
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Great tune! I gather Tony Hill still lives in The area!

Comment

Not so much finds a three gifts from a benevolent mate - all Spanish minimal Synth come Industrial bits

Esplendor Geométrico - 1980-1981 Prehistoric Sounds (Geometrik) - 3 x 7" & CD - top collection of quite harsh industrial beats... not for everyone - tried to get one of the 45s at Utrecht - 200 Euro price tag put me off a bit

The next two are reissues from the 80s Auxilio De Cientos label - would love OG of these...

Diseño Corbusier - Pérfido Encanto (Vinilisssimo)

Diseño Corbusier - El Alma De La Estrella (Vinilisssimo)

clips

"It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Originally posted by makuma79 View Post
            "Um Abraco No Lucien Extensivo Ao Edu Lobo" - Dedicated and inspired to John Lucien and Edu Lobo.
            My poor Portuguese came up with something like "A Hug to Lucien extended to Edu Lobo" for that.
            It probably explains the similarity between the choruses of Por Nossa Senhora and Lucien's Would You Believe In Me. Still doesn't explain who wrote it first or the link, though.
            The Spanish press of that lp, under the title Usted abuso, is dead common.I was punching the air when i found mine, then i saw another, then another... There's at least two on todocoleccion right now for under €2..
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Boot sale and charity shop plunder:

Millie Small - Millie And Her Boyfriends. Prised from a horrifying box of welded-together-by-mildew offerings, this has actually cleaned up nicely. Early reggae duets - great stuff.

Jethro Tull - This Was and Stand Up. Hadn't heard anything earlier than "Thick As A Brick" before, so a nice find, but probably will be shunted on.

Walter Wanderley - Kee-Ka-Roo and Moondreams. His albums have proved elusive over the years, so very pleased to pick these up for buttons.

The Ames Brothers - Hola Amigos. Spotted "with orchestra under the direction of Juan Esquivel" on the cover, so picked it up (think I left this behind on a previous visit). It does have all those classic Esquivel-isms in the orchestra arrangements, but the Ames Bros singing is not a natural match for it.

The Linha Singers - Voices In Rhythm (A Programme Of Czech Rococo Music). Very much in the Swingles style, which I have a big soft spot for. Accompanied by the Karel Velebny Jazz Group, arrangements of obscure 18th century Czech composers.

The Crusaders - 2nd Crusade. Soul/jazz instrumentals double LP. "Journey From Within" is a standout, epic piano, guitars, sax all hammering away simultaneously, just great. Will be revisiting this.

Michael Omartian - Adam Again. Xian jazz fusion. Not a good thing based on a quick needle drop.

Misa Flamenco - two different Spanish style masses, one with Flamenco accompaniment, the other a "Misa Mozarabe" using ancient instruments. Unusual and atmospheric.

Nelson Riddle - White On White, Shangri-La, Charade And Other Hits Of 1964. Great easy arrangements of course, including an ace big band version of "Java.

Hollywood Argyles - Alley Oop. I don't tend to post up 45s, but I was happy to get a copy of this, a longtime fave. Very silly song, was covered by the Bonzos.

Other great deals:

V/A - The Contemporary Guitar Sampler - nice Transatlantic comp of solo guitar playing.

Sam and Dave - Double Dynamite. Bang!

Don Sebesky - The Distant Galaxy. Had heard of this, but never actually heard it. Delighted that it kicks off with a cover of Cream's "Dance The Night Away", and there is plenty of wibbly wobbly moogy, sitar type space madness in the arrangements.

Maynard Ferguson - Freaky. If I had to describe something as super groovy freaky jazz, this would be it.

Sid Ramin - Stiletto. Vulture classic type soundtrack, long term want. A bit rough but the ugly sticker residue cleaned off nicely.

V/A - Dr Goldfoot And The Girl Bombs - Exploito soundtrack action.

Comment

^ Nice finds mate....Love that 'Distant Galaxy'.
                "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Went to a record shop I've not been to in a while, and went a bit crazy...
                  Pic may or may not come tomorrow.

Got:

Colosseum - Valentyne Suite
                  Been wanting The Kettle on vinyl for a long time, now feeling a bit underwhelmed. No, wait, it's got the funk and the wah and that's what I like. Nice prog stuff on side 2 as well.

Novalis - Novalis
                  Dronz. Dronz. Dronz.
                  Enjoying the prog of the rest of the first side too, will check side 2 tomorrow.

Electric Junkyard - Electric Junkyard
                  Inspired by MPFlapp's Utrecht find of a long time want I thought this was a steal at the price and would be some crazy avant garde psych. Not really my thing, good version of Aquarius though. Up for trade.

Blond - Blond
                  Had to get this spare copy as it was a very nice price. Also up for trade.

Scott Walker - Jackie/The Plague
                  Finally a copy of this, overpaid a bit but saved the postage from the UK... one of the best ever.

Slick - Space Bass 45
                  This will do till I get a 12" or LP.

Mick Rowley - I'm A Man 45
                  Former The Smoke singer covers Macho's cover. Not sure if I should upgrade to the longer LP version...

All Time Favourite Jingles 45
                  "Remember this golden classic?"
                  http://soundcloud.com/teaspoonsweden
                  http://www.mixcloud.com/SebastianFSorrow/
                  http://soundcloud.com/seb-f-sorrow

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                    My poor Portuguese came up with something like "A Hug to Lucien extended to Edu Lobo" for that.
                    It probably explains the similarity between the choruses of Por Nossa Senhora and Lucien's Would You Believe In Me. Still doesn't explain who wrote it first or the link, though.
                    Aha...shame Jon Lucien is no longer with us, we could've asked him...i've often played these two tracks together and thought..hmm...who's copying/quoting who...
                    The fact they're both on RCA is significant...but the song that links the two for me is 'Work To Do' by the Isley Bros...which was from '71 (?)...

My guess is 'Work To Do' came first, then Jocafi (who slows the 'Work To Do' riff down, changes the chorus) and then Jon Lucien (who speeds the Jocafi version back up, changes the call & response style riff played by the bass & piano/guitar from the Jocafi version to a more fluid bassline, adds new horns and changes up the bassline on the chorus...

Or something like that...such a great record and not at all rare...

Is it Jon Lucien who plays the bass on 'Would You Believe In Me'? The part he plays on the chorus is inspired/classic/immense...and always gets me playing air bass...like Alan Partridge...

'Um Abraço No Lucien Extensivo Ao Edu' is such a blissful track, especially with headphones, stereo panning on the tea towel toms...it's hard to describe it without sounding poncy or saying something like 'achingly beautiful', which is ultra naff so I won't. But cor blimey, it's a tonic...strings, harp, glock, guitar...super nice...

any ideas anyone? Tom B seems to be the main brazil nut around here...

Comment

Originally posted by diggerdumper View Post
                      any ideas anyone? Tom B seems to be the main brazil nut around here...
                      Brazil yes, Portuguese sadly no - though from my very rudimentary knowledge (and google translate) I think Babycart's stab at it is about right. That Antonio Carlos & Jocafi is great - no idea about the possible connection between this song & Jon Lucien though. It's not that unlikely that there's a Brazilian musician called Lucien, no? The late lamented Nameofthegame would have been able to tell us. What happened to that guy? He really knew his Brazilian music...

Comment

Originally posted by Bud Peyote View Post
                        Colosseum - Valentyne Suite
                        Been wanting The Kettle on vinyl for a long time, now feeling a bit underwhelmed. No, wait, it's got the funk and the wah and that's what I like. Nice prog stuff on side 2 as well.
                        listen to "Elegy".
                        Last edited by alanmck; 06-12-2012, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by diggerdumper View Post
                          Aha...shame Jon Lucien is no longer with us, we could've asked him...i've often played these two tracks together and thought..hmm...who's copying/quoting who...
                          The fact they're both on RCA is significant...but the song that links the two for me is 'Work To Do' by the Isley Bros...which was from '71 (?)...

My guess is 'Work To Do' came first, then Jocafi (who slows the 'Work To Do' riff down, changes the chorus) and then Jon Lucien (who speeds the Jocafi version back up, changes the call & response style riff played by the bass & piano/guitar from the Jocafi version to a more fluid bassline, adds new horns and changes up the bassline on the chorus...

Or something like that...such a great record and not at all rare...

Is it Jon Lucien who plays the bass on 'Would You Believe In Me'? The part he plays on the chorus is inspired/classic/immense...and always gets me playing air bass...like Alan Partridge...

'Um Abraço No Lucien Extensivo Ao Edu' is such a blissful track, especially with headphones, stereo panning on the tea towel toms...it's hard to describe it without sounding poncy or saying something like 'achingly beautiful', which is ultra naff so I won't. But cor blimey, it's a tonic...strings, harp, glock, guitar...super nice...
                          Lucien's listed as the bassist (and guitarist) on Rashida, yeah.
                          just dug both lps out and I reckon the Abraco track is probably the key to who got there first - it's about as close to the drifting, tropical lush orchestral sound that Dave Grusin created on Rashida as any track i can think of. I can't imagine they namechecked Lucien then invented an entire sound for him. Not sure where Edu Lobo comes in unless its the wordless vocals and the slightly Nordeste whistling feel at the beginning.

The Work To Do link is so obvious I'm kicking myself! I'd call Antonio Carlos & Jocafi a naughty pair of theiving magpies if they hadn't written so many other great tunes. i was really getting into some of the ballads they wrote for Maria Creuza a couple of years ago.
                          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

just dug both lps out and I reckon the Abraco track is probably the key to who got there first - it's about as close to the drifting, tropical lush orchestral sound that Dave Grusin created on Rashida as any track i can think of. I can't imagine they namechecked Lucien then invented an entire sound for him. Not sure where Edu Lobo comes in unless its the wordless vocals and the slightly Nordeste whistling feel at the beginning.
                            Been listening to both lps this morning (got the day off and the sun is shining).

The intro to Um Abraço No Lucien Extensivo Ao Edu Lobo is pretty much identical to that of Satan from Rashida, only slower. Or vice versa, only faster. I'd always thought Lucien was giving a nod to Berimbau on that track before
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

The intro to Um Abraço No Lucien Extensivo Ao Edu Lobo is pretty much identical to that of Satan from Rashida, only slower. Or vice versa, only faster. I'd always thought Lucien was giving a nod to Berimbau on that track before
                              Nice one Babycart...day off + rashida + jocafi lp =

I reckon Jon Lucien had a copy of this lp or at least met the Jocafi guys in the RCA studios in Rio/NYC. Anybody know Dave Grusin? He'd be able to 'smooth' (jazz) it out for us...

Soz everyone for getting off track...back to your finds...

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                                Brazil yes, Portuguese sadly no - though from my very rudimentary knowledge (and google translate) I think Babycart's stab at it is about right. That Antonio Carlos & Jocafi is great - no idea about the possible connection between this song & Jon Lucien though. It's not that unlikely that there's a Brazilian musician called Lucien, no? The late lamented Nameofthegame would have been able to tell us. What happened to that guy? He really knew his Brazilian music...
                                While not claiming to know anywhere near everything about the Portuguese language (I did my degree in Brazilian Portuguese) I can say that Babycarts translation is word for word right that is in a literal sense, If I was to translate that phrase into English it would have to change quite radically as the use of the verb abracar (embrace/hug) isn't used in the UK or even Portugal in the same way as in Brazil. Still, that sentence is nothing more than a shout out to two people.

Anyway, yes, nameofthegame saw him a couple of weeks ago. He had a large pile of Brazilian records in top nick for trade. I'll ask him to come back on here asap!

Comment

Working...
                                X