May finds 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May finds 2013

Record fair, charity shops and a visit to a local flipper.

LPs

Chevy Chase psych!
    Tomorrow Never Knows jazz!
    Belgian (?) hard psych
    Session man funkyness!
    UK Explioto spare (gone)
    Beatles Latin thing!
    Guy Pederson Jerk!
    Edinburgh Placebo / Nucleus - esque Jazz raer!
    Comp - spare - gone - Tuane - tune!
    Reggaesploito!

45 highlights

Minted up this great Don Shinn related 2 sider - crackly copy going to the NE

Strange Pakistani beat

UK Freakbeat via Holland

Spare Gary Walker

Charity shop find - chuffed! Monster tough glam!

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

not much to report from todays venture out...

groundhogs-split-uk og

this 45 usa psych,soul?

year 2000-love,love,love/spooky-usa rama rama 1969
    ------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Comment

Some random stuff from locally and London yesterday

Jimmy Lindsay 12" has Fabian - Prophecy on the B side which is a big big tune

Protocol for unfamiliar heads is a classic UK bleepy breakbeat track from 1991.
      Donald Byrd is clean but cover is a bit worse for wear
      Lamont Dozier was my number 1 want after getting a track off it id'ed last week and subsequently the first record i pulled out at the Spitafields Record Fair. Don't you love it when that happens.

Gherkin Jerks is the new reissue. Thank god as not an easy record to hunt down.
      The 10" Dubplate is an unreleased UK breakbeat hardcore track by DJ SS from 1993.
      Keith Hudson is another reissue.

Comment

Scored these at some weird vinyl sale at Ibiza. No other buyers I had to elbow with.
        These came from 2 crates of crazy prog and psych stuff. Lots of Vertigo spirals but most of them in horrible shape. These were all ok and 5 euros each. I had no idea of the rarity of that Dr. Z. I only found out when I looked it up once I got back to my apartment.

Comment

Nice one on the Chevy, Lee!

Been hoping to encounter one myself for a couple of years now....

I had some luck at the bootsale today, and then went to a record fair... details will follow...
          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Dr. Z - Holy Cow !!

well done sir ...
            Rockwell
            Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Here are my queensdayfinds sorted out, cleaned, mostly in an Ex condition. I did wel this year IMO . Found some longtime wants and some upgrade versions. If you have any questions let me know. Paid somewhere round 100 euro for all.

And one mailbox arrival ...

My Statigram account ...

http://statigr.am/cratedigger

http://kratgraver.blogspot.nl

Comment

So the seller of The Ornette Coleman seminal classic, used all those stamps for postage ? Is there a story behind that, or just a record nutter?

Oh, & if you exclude classical records, you've got more there than I get in a year!

Comment

First three are from a bootsale en route to the record fair - must say that for 50p a piece the bootsale was almost as exciting as the record fair. Rest are from the record fair that delivered pretty good even though many sellers had cancelled.

Memories of the Punjab
                  Some Indian folk type thing with a bit of pop qualities. Can't say it's anything special, has its moments.

No To Co
                  Polish folk with beat moves. Also not special but has its moments.

Kati Kovacs & Locomotiv GT
                  This is better - funky and groovy rock.

Krzysztof Sadowski
                  Trashed sleeve, mainly back and a somewhat skewed vinyl with several marks... hm... well it cost next to nothing. Has some mod jazz dancers but also lots of less interesting stuff like the Beatles medley with A Little Help From My Friends and Yesterday...

Tadeusz Wozniak
                  Polish folk prog upgrade copy.

Stan Borys
                  Another Polish folk prog upgrade.

Ovary Lodge
                  Free jazz... not really my bag. Sound too much like children playing around with instruments for the first time at times for my taste. I've always said that if I could sit in on a free jazz session using any instrument at all and it wouldn't have made the outcome worse it's probably not very good - this feels like such a record.

Boston Tea Party
                  Nice psych/popsike with plenty of organ.

Stanley Cowell*2
                  Look at me. I'm an idiot. I bought two copies of the same record without noticing. Ah, well.... Piano led jazz but with full orchestra including brass and Bobby Hutcherson on vibes. Has both nice jammy parts, some free moments and some more composed type suite. Very nice.

Skaldowie
                  Polish rock/pop with some psych/prog touches. Not their best but enjoyable enough.

Öwerboda Brass
                  It feels like every shithole of a town in Scandinavia had an amateur big band jazz orchestra in the 70s - some good, some bad. I like to pick up these records when I see them, most are quite uninteresting but may shine for a track or two - this one is fantastic, however. About half vocal songs and half instrumentals - they do a nice enough You Are the Sunshine... and Summertime with really funky drums but the rest are originals and that's when they really shine in my opinion: it's great modern funky and groovy big band jazz with some nice effects in places, like spaced out electric piano and echoed brass.

Zbigniew Namyslowski
                  Starts out with a boring boogie-type piece but it gets better and is for the most part very enjoyable fusion funk.

Robert Charlebois
                  Pretty nice, nothing that stands out like some of his other more experimental and/or funky stuff.

North Texas State University Lab Band
                  Love the sleeve! Pretty enjoyable big band jazz with only original compositions – not too avantgarde, not too straight.

Terry Riley
                  Repetetive minimalism.

Gary Bartz
                  Very good and groovy jazz – vocal and instrumentals, a lot of the time funky and with the occassional excursion into free jazz.

Azar Lawrence
                  Not listened. Sure looks tasty, though.

Berndt Egerbladh
                  Swedish big band afro-jazz suite! Great stuff.

McDonald & Giles
                  Finally! Glad to pick this prog record. Should be well known here as it was all the talk about it a few years ago that made me want it in the first place.
                  "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                  and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                    Record fair, charity shops and a visit to a local flipper.

LPs

Was that Jenghiz Khan a find?

Comment

Originally posted by markie View Post
                      Scored these at some weird vinyl sale at Ibiza. No other buyers I had to elbow with.
                      These came from 2 crates of crazy prog and psych stuff. Lots of Vertigo spirals but most of them in horrible shape. These were all ok and 5 euros each. I had no idea of the rarity of that Dr. Z. I only found out when I looked it up once I got back to my apartment.

Wow on that Dr Z indeed.

That must be the rarest spiral out there.

Comment

Originally posted by mike sondek View Post
                        So the seller of The Ornette Coleman seminal classic, used all those stamps for postage ? Is there a story behind that, or just a record nutter?

Oh, & if you exclude classical records, you've got more there than I get in a year!
                        I don't know what is the story behind it, it made me laugh though. The stamps are all 70/80s, BBC, Churchill and Cars&Planes. Their value is not more than stated on the stamp itself. Perhaps he bought a collection cheap just for using them for shipment.

Queensday is a national holiday which turns the Netherlands in one big Car-boot, if lucky and early enough these great things can be found.
                        My Statigram account ...

http://statigr.am/cratedigger

http://kratgraver.blogspot.nl

Comment

Originally posted by Sie-Fly View Post
                          Dr. Z - Holy Cow !!

well done sir ...
                          Yeah...Killer find mate!

I would have perhaps picked up a couple more of them Vertigo LP's at 5 Euro each, even if the were a bit rough.
                          "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                            Yeah...Killer find mate!

I would have perhaps picked up a couple more of them Vertigo LP's at 5 Euro each, even if the were a bit rough.
                            He had a couple of Sabbaths but they were totally beaten, surfacenoise with music in the background. I have cleaned the Dr. Z but it still plays with considerable surfacenoise. When the music gets loud it's not that bad but it's present throughout the record. I'm going to sell this as the music is not up my alley. How much would you folks reckon I could get for this considering the shape it's in? I have checked Popsike and most copies that were sold for serious loot were close to mint but there's one copy that wasn't that good that still got bid up to around $1000.

Comment

Some awesome finds on this page chaps. Great work.
                              "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Working...
                              X