July 2013 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by candiman View Post
    Venus & The Razorblades – Punk-A-Rama. Is not punk and is also not very good. I should have put The Tonics White Christmas in the picture instead.
    I like it, Kim Fowley punksploitation innit?
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

• Though supposedly trying to resist vinyl expenditure, I seem to have picked up loads in the last month.

Have been traipsing round the charity shops when work allows and have also revisited the spot that's recently opened up in Notts which was utter carnage when I swung by on Saturday. This was after going to a waste-of-time 'record fair' in Derby (two sellers, really?) and then bumbling round Ripley and Alfreton before deciding that Derbyshire really is peopled by the missing link and I headed back for the safety and civilisation of Notts. Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire don't get on you see. I think border control should be tighter, except when I go up to Matlock looking for mushrooms in a month or two.

Also done some nice trades on the board, so thanks to all who got involved.

I should preface this by pointing out that I'm currently house-sitting for my younger brother and have no access to a turntable, so most of these finds are yet to be heard!!

This little selection of VV classics were picked up while waiting for a meeting to start in one of Nottingham's satellite towns. All will be going in the next round of freebies, but PDSA did Ok out of it.

The top two on here came from the same mooch round the chazzas and the bottom two were from Rob's when I was on my way back. The B&H has a couple of nice parpmongous spy jazz tunes (think it's Syd Dale) and I was well happy to get Joe Jackson for a quid after looking for that one for years and not seeing it in the wild.

The above selection came from a mostly from a trip to see my dealer chum on the market. I got shut of a load of spares and got Scott 3, the Japan 12" (red vinyl) and a bunch of credit for next time. I found the Osmonds LP (tipped off by Pencilface) in Scope - the only vinyl they had was what seemed to be the entire Osmonds back catalogue, someone must have fallen out of (puppy) love with them all of a sudden. The classical LP was from a chazza near another work meeting and I picked it up for 20p cos I like the sleeve!

These were from the same chazza as the classical LP in the previous pic. Couple of breaktastic VV classics in Liberace and Captain Noah. I expect Latin Sounds to be too cheesy for me. Nena was bought very tongue-in-cheek. But I'll probably still play it. Hairy armpits and all.

Trades with various lovely geezers off the board (Eine, Expiry and Pete H). Gold rings on yer.

More charity shop action. Most of which is spare I think. Just nice to still see some of these cropping up locally.

As above. Except I had to endure one of your more eccentric charity shop staff bellowing constantly about his life and how everyone finds him hilarious (except me) while I was searching through several large boxes of mostly chuff. But that's digging in bloody Alfreton for you. Again, mostly spares here.

Think the above all came from animal charity shops in Ripley. I know I'll be letting Taboo go in a future freebie thing, the RKM comp - who knows? Fight Club 12" stays with me - one of my top five films ever. And just what was it with these crooner type chaps and posing with a dog? Keith Lard in the area? This is what led to that barmy bastard out of Lost Prophets you see. It starts with some Private Press Richard O'Sullivan-looking smoothie trying to woo the ladies with a Dulux Dog prop and ends with an emo singer's laptop full of all manner of canine canoodling. All so preventable.

These were all out the 50p box at the lamentable record fair in Derby. Not really my bag at the moment, but would have been rude to leave behind for pennies.

Sue and Sunny from an antique shop in Alfreton which had greatly overpriced almost everything, then I find this shoved in a corner for a quid - go on then. Ad Rhythm comp from a charity shop down the road and the freakbeat/soul comp from a nice trade with Mr AKH-47. Merci.

SF Sorrow from Oxfam Music & Books just down the road from my office. Black / Silver pressing, so not a pension fund, but nice to find all the same. Paid 'proper' money for it, but don't feel like I got bent over - more than reasonable I think.

And now we're on to stuff from the new spot in Notts that I've been visiting. The owner has a policy of LPs are £3 or 4 for a tenner. He's slowly going through and listing stuff at Popsike prices on Amazon (?!) but says if you make the effort to go through the stock before he does, you're welcome to have the £3 deal and get yourself a bargain. Which is what I did. Much has come from a defunct shop in Chesterfield, some has come from a pal's lock-up and the bulk (I think) is from an Oxfam distribution centre, so there's a fair bit of stuff that has 'Gift Aid' stickers on. Tons and tons of Classical in there. Tons and tons of hiphop / dance (unplayed). Getting on for 250,000 items I reckon. Good luck to him.

I promise to take photos if I get chance to go back soon.

So, we've got the above stuff which, as anyone who's ever read any of my posts knows, won't be staying at Vallance Towers! Trade this reggae twaddle out of my house as soon as is possible!! Worth getting for cheap though eh?

Femme-vox selection. Again, nowt earth-shattering, but nice to pick up for little cost.

Little selection of VV / VG+ 'classics'.

A few random ones. Funny to get the Michael Chapman as I was reading an article about him that very morning. Serendipity. I'm going to read an article about KPM next time I go out.

And a few more random ones. I think I paid £40 all in after two hours of digging and risking life and limb from teetering stacks of LPs. He'd just brought in eight pallets and two dumpsters full that week, which me and a couple of others were looking through (the usual Nottingham / East Midlands / Gainsborough(!) eccentric characters have been getting involved there already). Well worth going and having a wade through, but you need to write off a day or maybe more. He reckons there's another 30,000 items still in storage and is already talking about what percentage he's going to have to commit to landfill. But it sounds like he's more than covered his outlay in unplayed copies of Oasis' back catalogue which came from the Chesterfield place. Good old Liam.

So, that's me for another month I reckon. Then again, I'll have that much to shift on, I might have to do some more trading!
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

• Lovely stuff Ben! SF Sorrow is a top ten all time LP IMHO! I still need a proper UK mono - I am currently on an orig German mono having moved on from a US stereo copy on Rare Earth

WHats the Studio 1 generic sleeve one?
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
          Femme-vox selection. Again, nowt earth-shattering, but nice to pick up for little cost.
          I think that Astrud Gilberto is fantastic, and one of her best.
          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• Cheers for records Ben, of your finds, I really like that Veronique Sanson one (in many ways).
            Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
              I think that Astrud Gilberto is fantastic, and one of her best.
              What he said....Nice finds as usual Ben mate, that new spot sounds the biz.
              "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post

These were all out the 50p box at the lamentable record fair in Derby. Not really my bag at the moment, but would have been rude to leave behind for pennies.
                I might have to get to that record fair in Derby if this is a fair representation. I'd have been punching the air to pick up these for 50p each.

You should persevere with Last Days And Time. One the first soul LPs I ever bought in around '73-'74 I guess. One of my most treasured albums. It's on my wall!

As it's not your bag at the moment you may not have got to the last track on each side - Mom and Power. You should.

Comment

• Re: Candiman

No matter what happens or how low you sink, do not go to that fair in Derby! It was twaddle!! Those LPs are by no means representative.

I hear what you're saying and Last Days and Time was one of my first funk purchases too (from a shop in Stapleford IIRC) and I've been putting 'Time Is On Your Side' on mixtapes forever. I'm just worn out by that genre now.

But I'm not mithering for 50p.

Into the freebies pile it goes.
                  Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

• Ben what's This is Country Rock from the first picture. Don't think I've come across this before?

Comment

• Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
                      Ben what's This is Country Rock from the first picture. Don't think I've come across this before?
                      Breakz!
                      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Nice score on the Japan twelve Ben, 'tis a great tune that!
                        Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

• Couldn't leave these on the wall in Reckless today - I tried - but they had to come with me............

"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

• Nice finds, love the font on the UK Electric Mud.
                            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• Originally posted by pitch View Post

Comment

• Fail. Shirley kicks Alfred's ass.
                                https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Working...
                                X