November 2013 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by the flight View Post
    Another Electrecord release just got into my collection. "Formatii de muzica pop" as Pop Music Bands was a compilation of releases in the late 70s in Romania. Sometimes bands that never released a song had the chance to do it on these compilations. The term Pop in the title is somehow misleading but most of the songs are kinda rockish to prog rock.

I recorded a song that got my attention on this one. Has a rockish feel into but the baseline gets quite funky and the keyboards are incredible. Reminds me a little of the early dusty fingers selections. The song is by Basorelief - Drum prin campie (a walk thru the field) and I could find just 2 songs recorded by this band.

https://soundcloud.com/dusty-hands-g...um-prin-campie
    Great track, thanks for uploading. The keyboards sound a bit like a dulcimer, very unusual.
    BTW the album in question is Formatii de muzica pop Vol.3 from 1978, there are two earlier volumes.
    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

• Originally posted by candiman View Post

Music from the Soundtrack "All night Long" featuring Brubeck/Tubby Hayes/Dankworth etc. - Playing as I type, a freat mix of jazz, bit crackly but not too bad. "Wingate's Spot" - nice!
      Check out "muy rapido" too - killer jazz dance.

Comment

• Just picked up a nice copy of Arvo Part's Tabula Rasa LP on ECM from Oxfam. Pleased!
        "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

• Originally posted by ivan_smackhead View Post
          [
          sharon brown - i specialize in love. god knows how many copies i have of this now.
          glad to know it's not just me then. think i've still got the rubbish 90's remixes somewhere too. never tire of hearing the original version

Comment

• nice start to the week...
            ..prob all well known here.

currently listening to the herbie hancock,seems cool so far :0)
            ------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Comment

• Originally posted by Milesago View Post
              Great track, thanks for uploading. The keyboards sound a bit like a dulcimer, very unusual.
              BTW the album in question is Formatii de muzica pop Vol.3 from 1978, there are two earlier volumes.
              Yes that's right, it's volume 3! I totally agree on the keyboards, I also found the record that contains their second released song, also very cool but a little more jazzy. I will post that also.

Comment

• Originally posted by smashingcheesegromit View Post
                nice start to the week...
                ..prob all well known here.

currently listening to the herbie hancock,seems cool so far :0)

GOOD JOB ON THE BLIGHTY PRESS OF MIKE MAINIERI . GREAT VIBES ALBUM , NOT AS FAR OUT AS THE TITLE SUGGESTS BUT A NICE LISTEN
                sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

• Haven't posted in a while ...

As I restrained myself to a sort of budget for records most finds where cheap otherwise trade ... ... have to say most doubles are picked by a friend recently. Feel free to ask, only Sabu is a reissue a got in a trade.

My Statigram account ...

http://statigr.am/cratedigger

http://kratgraver.blogspot.nl

Comment

• Here is another Electrecord release (I try to get the maximum from my Romanian sources and I'm having lots of fun doing that) that contains the second release from Basorelief, an obscure band from Romania I posted earlier. The record is called Club A and it contains recordings from a musical event held in Bucharest, March 1981. The event was organized by the Communist Students' Association from the Institute of Architecture “Ion Mincu”.

The main musical line of the recording is rock but there are some notable fusion songs:

Basorelief - Crocodilul - nice piece of jazz!

Accent - Alarma falsa - another obscure band from Romania plays a dramatic piece with a very nice drum work, electric guitar effects and flutes building up the tension.

Comment

• Found one of those 45 record albums with some really nice records inside, all 50's stuff, Julie London, Dick Jacob etc etc Brillo are you ready?
                      some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• Killer finds there Cees mate, some classics on CD there too!
                        "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                          Killer finds there Cees mate, some classics on CD there too!
                          Thanks mate, these kind of finds make you forget you can't go to Utrecht. Also some of that cd's are hard to find too.
                          My Statigram account ...

http://statigr.am/cratedigger

http://kratgraver.blogspot.nl

Comment

• Another copy of...

Arrived today, well worth a listen

Comment

• A mixed bag of sources, as usual...

From the booter this week, I dug up...

Billy May - Today! Where Today! = 1966. So it's big band in the Now sound style, fairly uninspiring track selection but still Billy delivers as he always does, and there's some good stuff here. The version of Michelle that kicks things off is great. Also like the original "Compatibility" with fuzz bass backing.
                              Carl Orff / Gunild Keetman / Margaret Murray - Music For Children Vol 2. Pleased to pick one of these up, need to keep an eye out for Vol 1 now.
                              Harold Smart - At The Organ. Oh, it's the theatre organ. Elsewhere I like Harold, but not here.
                              Woody Herman - Summer Sequence. WRC issue, Herman + Charlie Byrd.

Also picked up a stack of minty singles for 20p, all 60s-70s canon fodder, but I was particularly pleased to get this...

The Coasters - Love Potion Number Nine. The 1971 "funky latin" version.

These four were charity shop finds.

The Super Rail Band - New Dimensions In Rail Culture. Great Malian band, long tracks with some brilliant guitar work, just flowing. Recommend.
                              Fafa De Molokai / Olomide - Dieu Voit Tout. Not listened properly yet.
                              Kass Kass - S/T. Likewise.
                              John Foxx - The Garden. Another one I have been hoping would pop up for cheap.

In the zone of the cheap racks, we have:

Al Stewart - Zero She Files. Gradually nailing the early Al albums, so good.
                              Dennis Coffey - Electric Coffey. Son of Scorpio and other firecrackers.
                              Jona Lewie - On The Other Hand There's A Fist. Interesting but incoherent noodles, just like the other Jona album I have.
                              Hugo Montenegro - Lady In Cement OST. I haven't listened through yet, but the second track - Jilly's Joint - is such a stormer it was worth the price of admission alone. Pounding drums, fuzz guitar riffs + off the wall fills and soloing, organ wibbling... moving along at a rate of knots. Just what I want from an OST. Third track sounding great too...

Fischer-Z - Word Salad. Their first album, and it's a bit of a corker. Quirky energetic intelligent post punk, super high pitched vocals (something I always love). I can see this getting some serious replay action, and I'll have an eye out for their others.
                              John Serry - Exhibition. Fusion. Alert. On a first listen there are nice touches, but the overall timbre is meh-inducing so far.
                              Papa John Creach - Inphasion. I'm pretty much a sucker for any album that features a spaceship in the shape of a giant violin on the cover. This kicks off in fine style with the title track, an excellent funky instrumental. But in a fit of madness, the other tracks have vocals on which hobble my progress through.
                              Woody Herman - Heavy Exposure. Big band kicking through funky tunes - Phil Upchurch and Donny Hathaway on here. Excellent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                                Hugo Montenegro - Lady In Cement OST. I haven't listened through yet, but the second track - Jilly's Joint - is such a stormer it was worth the price of admission alone. Pounding drums, fuzz guitar riffs + off the wall fills and soloing, organ wibbling... moving along at a rate of knots. Just what I want from an OST. Third track sounding great too...
                                It's a great OST - haven't seen a British issue before...

The film is worth a watch too.

Comment

Working...
                                X