November 2013 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pencilface View Post
    you guys are crazy - there's at least 3 ace tunes on that LP!
    You guys weren't lying. Some good tunes on both Salloom and Edgar Droughton.
    LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

Originally posted by RedX View Post
      What lives in the blue tank?

A school pet belonging to my wife's class. A snail called Sammy!

Comment

Originally posted by ivan_smackhead View Post
        i love that ASTOR sleeve. never seen one of those before.

a quick discogs check tells me that must be the australian release of the kiss record.
        Yeah Oz copy. Strangely some of the Disco 12" were from Australia and New Zealand.

Comment

My first 'Recent Finds' post. Here are some finds from the tail end of October and November.

Rare Earth - Get Ready (Rare Earth)
          Wishbone Ash - Wishbone Ash (MCA) Errors of My Way is probably my favourite WA cut ever. Face melted.
          Led Zeppelin - Untitled (Atlantic)
          The Great Society w/ Grace Slick - Conspicuous Only In Its Absence (CBS)
          Smith - A Group Called Smith (Columbia) Nothing's struck me like Baby It's You, yet.
          Donald Byrd - Places And Spaces (Blue Note)

Jack Bruce - Songs For A Tailor (Polydor) Solid
          New Hope - Let Your Light Shine (Free) Christian psych/folk/rock. Lots of nice stuff, my favourite linked to below.
          Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink (Deram) Autumn prog vibes.
          Eartha Kitt - Sentimental Eartha (Spark) I love this record. Lots of great versions of Donovan songs.
          Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (EMI)
          Moby Grape - Truly Fine Citizen (Columbia)

I've had some luck satisfying my Vertigo fetish over the last few weeks too.

Juicy Lucy - Juicy Lucy (Vertigo) Dope cover. The bass/drums after the false ending on She's Mine, She's Yours are crazy. Lifted from Smokestack Lightning I assume.
          Aphrodite's Child - 666 (Vertigo)
          Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (Vertigo)
          Black Sabbath - Vol 4 (Vertigo)
          Gracious - Gracious (Vertigo) This one's a reissue. Heaven is my shit on here.
          Colosseum - Valentyne Suite (Vertigo)

Comment

Got the Brady Bunch LP w Drummer man on it. Gotta love kiddie funk.
            LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
              Got the Brady Bunch LP w Drummer man on it. Gotta love kiddie funk.
              I'v been intrigued by this: http://wfmu.org/365/2003/122.shtml for a long time. Maybe not funky, but judging by the soundclip something that could possibly drive you insane if you were to listen through the whole record in one sitting...
              "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
              and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
                I'v been intrigued by this: http://wfmu.org/365/2003/122.shtml for a long time. Maybe not funky, but judging by the soundclip something that could possibly drive you insane if you were to listen through the whole record in one sitting...
                That's why it's good to have developed a high tolerance for absurd records!
                LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

That's why it's good to have developed a high tolerance for absurd records!
                  His energy both fascinates and scares me!

Comment

Poundstretchers from last week's boot

The Undisputed Truth - Method In The Madness. First album on Whitfield records... kicks off with some bonkers alien abduction nonsense, settles down to some nice funky tracks - You + Me = Love.
                    J Jocko - That's The Song. Drummer from Sha Na Na goes a bit funky, couple of good 'uns on here.
                    Repairs - Already A Household Word. Rare Earth 1971 LP, still sealed. Interesting self penned folky numbers, Andrew Loog Oldham in the production seat. Long album, nearly an hour!
                    The Outriggers - Golden Hits Of Hawaii. "Not my cup of tea, mate" scoffed the seller as I pulled this one out. But as the liner notes say, it's a sextet "with their guitars, vibes, Hammond organ and exotic percussion". Lovely bit of exotica.

A rare visit to Liverpool, quick flick round the charities yielded a few.

Don Woods - Songs of Wirral. Who could resist an EP produced by the Department of Leisure Services & Tourism - Metropolitan Borough Of Wirral? Not me.
                    Havana Let's Go - Torpedoes. The chart chances of this single were basically, er, torpedoed due to the Falklands war. Kind of sub-Madness nutty fun.
                    Herbie Hancock - Rockit.

The Great Disco Bouzouki Band - S/T. Funky grooves overlaid with bouzouki magic. Amazing. Tracks like 'Disco Bouzouki', 'Ouzo & Retsina', and 'Do Re Mi Fa Soul' do what it says on the tin.
                    Manos Hadjidakis - Homecoming. Counterbalancing the disco madness.
                    Jacqui and Bridie - Hold Back The Dawn. Beautiful voices, Scarborough Fair is wonderful here.
                    The Chris Hinze Combination - Who Can See The Shadow Of The Sun. Jazzy flutey goodness. Got this when I popped in to the record shop in the basement of Grand Central Hall - Cult Records Possibly the thinnest record shop I have ever visited, a fair whack of stock, rock centric but worth digging through. It was definitely worth diving down there just to view the crazed metalwork - good job!

Comment

Hit another Dutch sale at 9 in the morning before work. Got a few treats...

Lollipops: s/t LP - rare Danish psych rock, incl. the beat-heavy Naked when you come
                      Edgar Broughton Band: Sing brother sing LP - on Harvest, looks like both groovy psych and lame blues, has titles like Aphrodite and Psychopath
                      Salloom, Sinclair and the mother bear: s/t LP - on Cadet Concept, looks interesting, hope it's a little like Rotary Connection

EDITED
                      Is that the store near Nørreport Station? I was there maybe two weeks ago and it sucked but maybe it was because it was the middle of the month and the good records were gone.

Comment

Again it was "all or nothing" - many spares - does someone need something?

Comment

Originally posted by evilrobot0000 View Post
                          Is that the store near Nørreport Station? I was there maybe two weeks ago and it sucked but maybe it was because it was the middle of the month and the good records were gone.
                          No, this was Helligåndshuset, a church used for social/commercial functions where they have a record and book sale every 2-3 months.

You're probably thinking about Beat-Bop owned by Merciful Fate-member Michael Denner. Often they don't have that many BG+ friendly treats.
                          LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

No, this was Helligåndshuset, a church used for social/commercial functions where they have a record and book sale every 2-3 months.

You're probably thinking about Beat-Bop owned by Merciful Fate-member Michael Denner. Often they don't have that many BG+ friendly treats.
                            Is that where we were this summer? I found some nice bits there...

Comment

[QUOTE=Brainbomb;529228]Is that where we were this summer? I found some nice bits there...[/QUOT
                              Yes, the church off the walking street, they usuallyhave a few good things fsirly cheap
                              LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                                The Great Disco Bouzouki Band - S/T. Funky grooves overlaid with bouzouki magic. Amazing. Tracks like 'Disco Bouzouki', 'Ouzo & Retsina', and 'Do Re Mi Fa Soul' do what it says on the tin.
                                Is this not Vangarde/Kluger - the people behind The Yamasukis and, er, Ottawan?
                                Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

Working...
                                X