December 2013 Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
    Just like the £2.50 boxes shop owners give us the call about Nige mate!

I know were there's a UK copy of that Dave Pike LP, bet it's not going to be £2.50!
    Haha...word to that bro!
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Could not get into that Klaus Weiss LP. I think its Jazz.
      All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Few bits from London on Saturday

Dave Pike is repress.

12" is a classic Dan Curtin & Ron Allen tune on Centrifuge Records. Loving the Ju-Par.

Comment

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
          Hampton Hawes: Northern Windows

How many copies of this album have you found in the last 6-8 weeks..? One, two or three..???
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
            How many copies of this album have you found in the last 6-8 weeks..? One, two or three..???
            Hehe, apparently the market bought deadstock of this and some other jazzfunk from a closed radio station. I've seen about 5 sealed copies but "only" bought 2 :-)

Comment

A quick visit to Bristol and the most excellent Wanted Records, netted me a copy of the Jazz Explosion Brit jazz compilation

What a great shop John has there.. It was a shame I had to leave for a meeting as I could have mooched through the racks for ages
              the monkey speaks his mind

Comment

Originally posted by admcc77 View Post
                It was a shame I had to leave for a meeting as I could have mooched through the racks for ages
                Think of the money that meeting saved you though mate!
                "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by pencilface View Post
                  B-side is a Dick Hyman cover
                  Fixed.
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Local micro - fair finds.

Heptones very average.Big Youth,great version of I need a roof Alton Ellis replaces a battered Ackee copy i have.

Raw edged mid sixties Chicago soul from Harold Burrage.

Id forgot just how good this is, remember reading that they piled the bass drum up with breeze blocks to get the drum sound, a very reasonable fiver.

record licker

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
                      Thought as much, you've just saved me digging the LP out Rich mate!
                      "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by relkeel View Post
                        Local micro - fair finds.

Some decent 45's there chap - interested in more details on the Solaris 45 as I never knew they released a single, only ever owned the LP. Which is great.
                        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
                          Some decent 45's there chap - interested in more details on the Solaris 45 as I never knew they released a single, only ever owned the LP. Which is great.
                          There are ,to my knowledge, at least three 45's on Dana. Two have tracks lifted from the LP that you have and the one pictured Space Invaders/ I Tried. Space Invaders is electro/P funk type of thing c/w 'modern soul ballad'.

Young Disciples: Missouri funk 1968.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0kcmmV99aY
                          record licker

Comment

I've been keeping it fairly low-key of late, not getting out and about as much as I'd like, but have been getting the odd bargain off that evil Bay place.

Would like to think that I'll manage to find a few other bits before the year is out, but I think another clear-out is the main priority (stay tuned for Freebies tomorrow, if I can avoid detection in the office!).

The above selection came from Rob's a couple of weeks back. Keeping the (bonkers) Miroslav Vitous, mainly for 'Aim Your Eye', but the other two are spares (the full version of 'The Two Ronnies' really is the business!).

Top two were from Rob's. The Lennon Sisters is a keeper, if a tad polite. The Sam Sklair is a bit too parp-mongous for me, definitely working towards that style which Mandingo eventually nailed, but just a touch too jaunty for me to hang on to. OG of the 'Seasons' LP was off eBay and I was the sole bidder, so got it for a very low price - think it may have been cos the seller timed the auction to end at random o'clock. Regardless, that's another one ticked off the Wants list.

Similar story with the Barron Knights, auction finished on a weekday afternoon and I was the sole bidder. More than one decent tune on here, but not an album you'd want to be chucking money at. Found the other two in a charity shop on way to work last week, the Larry Page is one of the old VV classics, several lounge funk tunes and the Kingsmen LP is purely for trading down the market.

Got these at charity shops while on the same work activity last week. Couple of spares, but will be hanging on to the TK / Marlin disco comp.

And a couple more charity shop finds, Change 'Searching', which I make no apology for! When Luther was good, he was really good. The other 12" is Pigbag 'Papa's....' which has suffered from over-exposure at sports matches, but remains a cool bit of wonky new wave funk. And a spare of Prince's (quite hard to get) 'Controversy' 12" from Rob's, which is probably heading down to my mate in Hove.

On reflection, it's time I got back out there and spent money on summat other than Clarins gift sets, DVD box sets and books on the Pre-Raphaelites! Christmas effing shopping eh?
                            Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

That Miroslav Vitous looks the business: contemplation of the infinite while clutching a double necked instrument, wearing big fur, and adjacent to a skull. +200 bonus points.

Comment

Just been to new shop Timebomb Records Hyde Park Corner Leeds 6 to take a few photos and came back with these.

record licker

Comment

Working...
                                X