December 2013 Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
    OK - the Copenhagen fair finds from 2 weeks ago. All between an £20.
    Nice finds, BB. Seems I should stop missing the CPH fair. And the cheap jazzguy is still there?
    Have had the Gyldmark and other Danish softcore soundtracks, but still looking for more exciting ones.
    Horace Silver is great, I recommend almost all his 60s and 70s stuff, some have nice vox.
    Nice you're getting into more straight jazz, so much good stuff - if you can find it...

Comment

• some 7"s I have found in the last week

mysterious old acetate which turns out to be bad skiffle

b side is an instrumental version

Power-Pop from 1979 - fully signed inside the gatefold

4 track EP by the Colin Frechter Orchestra includes Corrie

never come across this before - A side has the history of Sunderland FC, B side is The Roker Roar

Spy-Fi from the short lived TV show starring Jason King

featuring the sounds of death & mutilation, thankfully only in mono
      The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

• Quite gratifying just ambling around browsing for records while all around were consumed with the quest for sprouts ,Quality Street and gift vouchers.
        I give you Relkeel's Midweek Grips.

record licker

Comment

• Chris McGregor's Brotherhood Of Breath - S/T. An original for a tenner. Reader, I grabbed it. Loving it.
          Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah-Um. Lovely copy.
          Manu Dibango - Afrovision. Minty for
          Erol Buyukburc - Yasemin. Charity shop grab. Turkish pop, one look at the cover and I was sold on it - silver suits, Farfisa, moustaches. Haven't listened through, but a very promising tonsil-straining east-west-collision in what I have heard.

The rest below are from the cheap bins, charity shops or boot fair finds.

Fischer-Z - Red Skies Over Paradise. First album is still getting regular plays, so I've picked up their 3rd effort.
          Don Lamond - Off Beat Percussion. Command album with the drummer in the lead.
          Miles Davis - At Carnegie Hall. Never got on with Miles, maybe this'll be the one to convert me.
          Earl Bostic and Tab Smith - Swinging Saxes. Minting up from my old mouse-nibbled copy. The Bo-Do-Rock is sooooo gooood.

Quilapayun - El Pueblo Unido Jamais Sera Vencido. Chilean protest music on Transatlantic Xtra. Ensemble of seven, great vocal harmonies and traditional South American instruments.
          Missa Luba (Congolese Mass). Finally cracked and got a copy, have been enjoying Misa Flamenca a lot recently, so worth trying out some other 'alternative' masses.
          V/A - English Songs. Peter Pears, Benjamin Britten and others. Would have skipped but for Little Jimmy Oddman's recent mix, feel like revisiting this kind of music.
          David Macbeth & Mirelle - Two For The Road. Pinnacle records? Never knew they did records... cabaret singer easy version of 'Dirty Old Town' with Ivor Raymonde orchestration? I'm sold.

Cilla Black - Cilla. First album with arrangers including Johnny Scott, Johnny Spence and George Martin.
          Skyhooks - Guilty Under Proven Insane. Rockin' Aussie stuff.
          Lyrio Panicali - Romantic Italy. Another Studio 2 I swear I've never seen before. It was 20p so I did the decent thing and gave it a chance. Schmaltzy version of 'Il Mondo' going down well here (a fave Italian belter in the Jimmy Fontana/Ennio Morricone version).
          Geoff Love - La Musique D'Ennio Morricone. Never seen this French MFP before, all Morricone covers, advert for Marlboro on the back! Some interesting track choices here, never thought to see Geoff versions of 'The Battle Of Algiers' or 'When Women Had Tails'

Bert Kaempfert - Traces Of Love.
          Bert Kaempfert - Safari Swings Again. Been after this one for an age, it never seemed to come up.
          Astrud Gilberto - Windy.
          Esther Ofarim - Is It Really Me. Honestly listened to this and thought 'Scott Walker arrangements' without it clicking that she's actually on 'Til The Band Comes In' (one of a couple of Scott albums I don't have). A nice surprise, I was expecting this to be massively cheesy.
          Ballet Espanol - nice cover art.
          James Last - Voodoo Party. Spare.

Music Of The Spanish Renaissance At The Court Of Emperor Charles The Fifth. Really enjoying these medieval music albums lately, easy to pick up for cheap, beautiful sounds.
          Music To Entertain Henry VIII. If it's good enough for Henry VIII, it's good enough for me.
          V/A - Homage To Dylan Thomas. Various readers including Richard Burton.
          Richard Burton - Reads Poems By Dylan Thomas. This was a separate online buy (before I found the Homage album). Hypnotic.

Lots of singles too, but this one is getting the most plays:

Tony Camillo's Bazuka - Dynomite. Funky track with dude shouting 'Dynomite' over the top, yes please.

Was also hopeful for this Ferranti single immortalizing their computer range. Sadly missing the gatefold sleeve it should have. It's lightly swinging easy rather than mad electronic sounds.

Taking some flak for my acquisition of a Larry Grayson single.

Comment

• Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

Spy-Fi from the short lived TV show starring Jason King
            Not tyhat short. I have the DVD box set of Department S and it runs to 8 discs. Though Jason King is usually better dressed than that.
            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

• pics are still my enemy but I can declare that my friday purchase of The Dillards "Wheatstraw Suite" is a lost classic. Up there will "Sweetheart Of the Rodeo" and "Gilded Palace of Sin". Not cheap but I didn't see any reason to shortchange either myself or a decent local shop.

I also got an interesting cheap 45 by Rick Nelson, the a-side if a version of Dylan's "Love Minus Zero/No Limits" which isn't great but the flip "Gypsy Pilot" is a groovy early 70s rocker.
              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

• Did a bit of trading with a local dealer who's just had an amazing collection come in. The highlight of my spoils was this

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Very nice Lee, like the understated orchestration on the b side too. Don't have any TT ogs but would love Romeo & Juliet out of all of them, what a tune!
                  Everyone tear down your own little wall
                  That keeps you from being a part of it all
                  Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                  You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• On the Dirty Boulevard.

record licker

Comment

• Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                      And the cheap jazzguy is still there?
                      If you mean the guys selling ex-library records where most is jazz - yes, they were there and my source for Miles Davis, Mingus and Hancock. Otherwise I'm not really sure who you're talking about.
                      "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                      and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

never come across this before - A side has the history of Sunderland FC, B side is The Roker Roar
                        drool

Comment

• Originally posted by mike sondek View Post
                          drool
                          A flukey 70's FA Cup win and once had a manager called Monkey's Heid,surely shoud be a one sided 45
                          record licker

Comment

• Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
                            Not tyhat short. I have the DVD box set of Department S and it runs to 8 discs. Though Jason King is usually better dressed than that.
                            The vast majority of ITC shows only ran for a single series of 15-20+ episodes, then went straight into syndication.
                            SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                              The vast majority of ITC shows only ran for a single series of 15-20+ episodes, then went straight into syndication.
                              I've only watched the first couple of dvds. So do you mean the rest of the box set is just going to be repeats of the same episodes?

John Peel

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X