March 2014 Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 2014 Finds

I had a good day. Some unexpected money came my way yesterday, so I spent some of it on todays record fair. Then I listened to the records I bought for the rest of the day.

These first were all from the cheapie bins.

Rune Öfwerman & Funky Strings - My Groovy Friends
    Jazz with strings that I wouldn't call very funky - maybe funkyish. Spinning Wheel, Proud Mary, Aquarius, Hush and similar. One original. Not bad, but doesn't stand out much. Sleeve is way better than the record: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=4463988

Clea Bradford - ...Now
    Vocal big band jazz. A bit like a female crooner. Nice I guess, but there's nothing like My Love's A Monster on it...

Ennio Morricone - The Red Tent
    Orchestral soundtrack, nothing groovy here. Pretty nice - b-side has one long more avantgarde piece that's pretty good.

Jiri Stivin & Rudolf Dasek - System Tandem
    Jazz duo with guitar and flute/sax. Quite good for being what it is – at one time they get as funky as I think you can get with just an electric guitar

and a flute.

Jimmy McHugh and Pete Rugolo - Jack the Ripper
    Orchestral and not as interesting as I had hoped. Dramatic and suspenseful...

Armand Migiani / Couroyer - Sex o Rama
    Overall too easy - but has a few very nice groovy/funky tracks, especially Venus and JP Massieras Carmen.

Dukes of Kent and the Voices of Celebration - Kent Schneider's Celebration of Man
    Upgrade copy of this jazz mass type thingie. Love it.

Madura - II
    Pretty good hotpotch of folk, jazz, prog, soul, funk and rock occassionally sprinkled with a bit of moog. Not all good but has some good moments especially two tracks with jazzy electric piano and some funkier moments.

Collage - Kadriko
    Estonian folksongs in loungey vocal jazz versions. A bit of a mixed bag but overall decent and several tracks are just beautiful.

Kenny Barron - Peruvian Blue
    Has some groovy and good jazz tunes but also some boring ones with just piano or piano and guitar. I'm not totally convinced the good bits outweigh the bad – even though they are quite nice.

Perez Prado & Shorty Rogers - Voodoo Suite Plus Six All-Time Greats
    The Voodoo suite on the first side is an excellent blend of big band Prado style mambo, jazz and dramatic exotica. The tracks on the second side are for the most part much more forgettable.

Berry Lipman - That Sounds Well
    Best of... 2LP compilation - not that exciting imo. Some good bits but much of it is very easy and some of it's cheesy. Lots of samba and shuffle.

The Left Banke - Walk Away Renée / Pretty Ballerina
    Fuzz and harpsichord – quite nice popsike with a slight baroque touch.

Coven Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reaps Souls
    Occult rock with female vocals. Groovy and occassionally eerie. Excellent. Long time want.

Jacques Loussier - You Only Love Once
    Another long time want. A couple of insane tracks that gives Pierre Henrys Mass for Today a run for its money when it comes to psyched out groove with bells and electronics. Plus some nice loungey jazzy bits.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

such a nice ride, great finds Brainbomb!

Comment

Fleamarket pickups:

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post

The Left Banke - Walk Away Renée / Pretty Ballerina
        Fuzz and harpsichord – quite nice popsike with a slight baroque touch.
        Quite a laid back review of one of my favourite albums! Personally I'd edge up slightly from 'nice' and would say it's baroque tendencies were a little more than 'slight' Surely an influential album for many bands that followed that path - though not many matched the quality.
        "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
          Quite a laid back review of one of my favourite albums! Personally I'd edge up slightly from 'nice' and would say it's baroque tendencies were a little more than 'slight' Surely an influential album for many bands that followed that path - though not many matched the quality.
          Indeed !
          Rockwell
          Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by Sie-Fly View Post
            Indeed !
            Indeed again!
            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

You are probably right but I needledropped 6 records and listened to 8 in full yesterday so maybe I didn't really hear Left Banke for what it is. I remember I also got a strong feeling it's a grower.

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                Indeed again!
                X3
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
                  You are probably right but I needledropped 6 records and listened to 8 in full yesterday so maybe I didn't really hear Left Banke for what it is. I remember I also got a strong feeling it's a grower.
                  I'm sure you'll enjoy many more listens, their follow up is even better!
                  "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

I've been out and a about a fair bit this weekend - record fair, couple of local shops and charities and of course theres always the good old PO.

The big ones

A later Chappell DMM - still pretty good but edging towards the early 70's production sound - still some nice fuzz and drums to keep me happy though.
                    JA press Return of Super Ape nabbed with shop credit - classic dub.
                    Bizarre Scottish Private Press LP - Fuz used a track on his mix - the between track banter is often better than the music. Fuz and I were commenting that there can't be many of them around...and then I saw another copy today - I left it though.
                    Magma - later issue of second LP - not sure if this is staying - not an easy listen, even with my high tolerance prog ears on!
                    Touch was a total bargain - I still can't understand why it was so cheap! UK heavy psych / prog moves - spare.
                    I'll always give those silverline LPs a go if I've not had them before - this one is a bit too Tij-ey but it's saved from the out pile by the brace of decent Beatles covers including LSD!
                    Private Press shitter - already re-homed chez Fuz.
                    Music LP was a total punt but turn out to have one killer track - funky drums, phasing and reverbed vocals - very nice.
                    DC5 is a cash in thing with only the A and B of their first 45 on the LP - the rest is sort of exploito beat / surf - interesting but no killers.
                    Apola Goovy! Who among us would leave this behind in a pound bin? Not me!! It's Nigerian jazz / grooves with splashes of fuzz guitar all over it - pretty good!
                    I was hoping Boots might get funky again on this one - there's a couple of nearly there's but I think this LP is not destined to stay.

A stroll into town today netted these:

All from a shop which hashad a massive collection in all sorts of chud and but at least he has now started to create a £1 section....which is where most of these came from.

Modern Lovers - this is the Kim Fowley produced early tapes - an interesting compare and contrast with the properly released LP which is one of the best LPs ever as we all know.
                    Paul Horn - not sure why I bought this (apart form the £1 price tag) - the players on here are stellar but it probably wont do it for me. hmmm
                    Jimmy Witherspoon - Bluesy RnB on Transatalantic - nice!
                    Clarence Henry - NOLA RnB on Pye - nice!
                    Country Fever - the cover of Nesmith's 'Listen to the Band' is ace but a one tracker for me.
                    Living Sound -pulled this for Fuz - Xian rock with funky touches and a break!
                    Roy Budd - doe O'Sullivan - Too Much Attention is the one - spare and gone.
                    My Heart skipped a beat when I spied the Kinks in the bins I have to tell you! Now I already own a near perfect copy of this LP and it's one of my top five records but I couldn't leave this - I just had to be able to say I've found one in the wild. The cover is pretty tatty (how do you get biro off sleeve? anyone? Nige?) but the vinyl is in pretty good shape and with a decent clean will be even better! Spare.
                    Don Fardon - German Comp of some of Don's best moments - spare and gone.

the little 'uns.

Start off with this great ballsy cover of Bobbie's "Mississippi Delta'

At the fair I was lucky enough to get to the 'interesting box of random 45s' before a fellow collector (soz Chris) and found a few good bits but this is probably the most interesting of all.

They were a Scottish mod / RnB band - only made one 45 due to rather tragic circumstances. More info and clips here on Mr Whimster's excellent blog.

Now, I'm no Bolan fan but I do love this early T Rex effort so was pleased to pull it from the same box

Got me a copy of this classic finally too - great funky party starter.

I never knew this got a 45 release! VV classic in the area!

An...erm...Dutch version of the soul standard - currently undergoing a through PVAing

UK'd up on this popsikey Searchers tune - this means I have a spare US copy should anyone need

Great funky B on this

A clean copy at last!!!

Another one I never knew was on a 45! Great version with nice bubbling hammonds and a bit of Rod.

Comment

I can't edit my post so here's the pic of the Python Lee Jackson 45 I'm sure you were all eager to see

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                        I've been out and a about a fair bit this weekend - record fair, couple of local shops and charities and of course theres always the good old PO.

The big ones

Paul Horn - not sure why I bought this (apart form the £1 price tag) - the players on here are stellar but it probably wont do it for me. hmmm
                        It's a goodun' that one - one of my favourite Paul Horn offerings.
                        "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                          I can't edit my post so here's the pic of the Python Lee Jackson 45 I'm sure you were all eager to see

Great pick up on the Blues Council - I love that single. Nice on the Goodness Me as well, still need to find me a copy of that, been trying to log any Bill Garden related records I can

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
                            It's a goodun' that one - one of my favourite Paul Horn offerings.
                            Indeed!

I also like Magma, though I realize it's probably a bit of an acquired taste...

Comment

Touch is such a great lp, had it for donkies years! The instrumental rave up a couple of minutes into Down At Circes Place was on virtually every mixtape I doshed out when I was swapping tunes in the old days (I know, fetch my pipe & slippers!). Still love it. Did it have the poster Lee?
                              Pardon me while I indulge myself, kicks off at 1.56 Oh yes, mental on headphones! "Gently peel back your mind petals, and listen, listen, listen..." They don't write them like that anymore
                              Everyone tear down your own little wall
                              That keeps you from being a part of it all
                              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Working...
                              X