April 2014 Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 2014 Finds

Right - let's get the new month started with a couple of decent bits from the local market, a crackin' find at the booter plus a dozen decent 45's from Philly...

The Donald Byrd is a later mid-70's Liberty pressing. The Trojan comp is from 1971, triple album.

Original 1970 US issue of the Funkadelic for less than the price of a chocolate bar. The vinyl is absolutely EX clean - doesn't look like it has ever been played. The Nigerian album... well it's not really my thing - but I know someone who may be interested... (winks)

Here are my Philly finds - it was a rush and I only got 3 hours at Val's and then about 45 minutes at Hiding Place. Still...

The 45's... nothing earth-shattering here, just decent across-the-board soul music. Happy to find the US pressing of the Marvelettes so I can retire the rarer UK issue from my DJ box.

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Shock Records label is the best.

Comment

Nice finds Sie. Been after an Appendix for ages.

Comment

Thanks Mark... Appendix is really cool - not too free and decent vocal tracks... Victor Kiswell has a copy for sale right now, but it seems real pricey...
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

It does turn up but never cheap. Strange one to find all the way in Philly!

Comment

Originally posted by toby.d View Post
            Shock Records label is the best.
            It is, if you like sweet soul...

Comment

Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
              Strange one to find all the way in Philly!
              Indeed. I got a proper mixed bag... the nationalities of the seven LP's I picked up are; 3 x USA, Bermuda, Belize, Sweden and France..!

Comment

I meant aesthetically but will check out the content too!

Comment

Originally posted by toby.d View Post
                  I meant aesthetically but will check out the content too!
                  (winks)

Comment

Love that Ethics 45!
                    i remember when it was all fields round here....

http://www.mixcloud.com/groovywoovy/

Comment

Originally posted by Galtee Mountain Casual View Post
                      Love that Ethics 45!
                      Lovely stuff..!

Comment

The Astronauts track on that Trojan comp is bonkers. Stands out like a sore thumb. I go 'what the F...oh aye' every time I play that side of that record.

Nice finds by the way.
                        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Free your mind...Is one of the best LP's ever, every collection should have one!

Nice finds BTW.
                          "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Thanks Craig (and Lee!).

"Free Your Mind" is a beauty and no mistake. This copy will be going to Japan with me, along with my Meters double.

Oh yeah. That copy of the first Meters album is EX. Not a mark on it.

Comment

Make sure to play the B side of the Alfreda Brockington 45 Sie, it's killer deep soul, just fades to quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X