May 2014 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 2014 Finds

A mix of 50p charity shop sale stuff, and other items from the region of a fiver.

Phyllis Tate - Youth Sings. I so nearly skipped over this, but so glad something made me check it out closer. Definitely in the Trunk Records zone of cool childrens music, there's two school choirs on this 1968 record, singing music composed or arranged by Phyllis Tate. The first side is 'Seven Lincolnshire Folk Songs', taken from the Percy Grainger song book. As the liner notes say, 'piano and percussion as equal partners with the choir', which translates into a track like 'Bold William Taylor' roaring along with discordant piano chords and thumping bass drum coming in and out. Sounds fantastic and otherwordly. There's also 'Horkstow Grange', the song which Steeleye Span got its name from, and 'Oats And Beans And Barley'. Side 2 kicks off with the wonderful 'Street Sounds: Concertante Suite For Wordless Choir, Piano and Percussion', including three sections, starting off with 'Local Band' where the singers imitate the sound of instruments played by enthusiastic amateurs, along with lots of bass drum and triangles. The whole thing wraps up with some 'Folk Songs From France'. Wonderful stuff all!

Fishbone - The Reality Of My Surroundings. A long time fave of mine, upgrading to vinyl . There are a couple of duff tracks, but it's a double album which means there is a huge amount to love here. Stands up way better than any other 'punk funk' of the era, you've got layers and layers of metal guitars, horns, vocals and madness. Highlights include 'Fight The Youth' and 'Housework', a nicely bonkers ska-funk-jazz-whatever heap of chore-driven fun.

Sandy Tobias Offenheim - If Snowflakes Fell In Flavours. Canadian private press of children's songs, with quirky titles - 'Onions Make Me Cry', 'I Am Ready To Eat Spaghetti', 'Do Not Disturb My Olfactory Nerve', 'I Feel Grouchy'. Tweeness abounds.

King Sunny Ade - Juju Music. Lovely stuff.

Cyril Stapledon - Film Themes Go Latin. Hey, a Latin version of 'The Sicilian Clan', let's go! Not very Latin, or Sicilian, but the start /end with the dogwhistle strings and synth (?) is great, elsewhere an odd bit of fuzz and string flourishes. Not bad.

Rupert Hine - Immunity. Not really feeling this one first time through, art rockish bleak desolate feel. One track really stood out, 'Another Stranger' with unusual vocal treatments, snippets of gabble and 'computer' sound FX.

Tom Rush - Merrimack County. Don't really know Tom Rush, but love the first track, 'Kids These Days' with its laconic funky riff and drawly vocal delivery. Some other countrified rocky bits, SSW stuff.

Richard Torrance - Eureka. Fliptop sleeve, slick rock songs.

So I went to a meeting yesterday and was stood up.
    With some time on my hands I trawlled a few charities and came up with some (for me) random singles

The Rokes - Ma Che Freddo Fra/Per Te Per Me I've heard of the Rokes as a Brit band that went to Italy and made it big. I love the sleeve of this single so I thought I'd take a punt. The a side is quite catchy late 60s pop. A little fuzzy guitar action and a singalong chorus that is completely beyond my limted Italian. The b side is pants
    I Dik Dik - Piccola Arcancia/Zucchero Again picked up for the sleeve - live the guy in the mustache and cravat, not so keen on the tam o'shanter! I'm really liking this. It has a kind of Small Faces Ogden's Nut Gone Flake feel to it - a generous sweep, great guitar, a slightly psychy/pastoral lilt and an extended outro. Meanwhile the b side is a slight let down. Anyone know anything about these guys?
    Ralf Bendix - Sag Mir Deine Sorgen/Baby Sitting Boogie Not sure why I picked this up. The a side is smaltzy schlagger. But the b side is inspired maddness. Its a kind a hully gully with baby noises over the top, including the sound of the baby doing a poo! Mr Bendix has a good voice but its the baby saying boogie that clinches it. Novelty but good
    Les Reed - Man of Action It was the handwritten sleeve that caught my attention. Worth 50p of anyone's money. It don't know about Radio North Sea or why they would chose this track as their theme tune. Its pleasent enough but to my ears it doesn't quite live up to its title

And I also picked up this disco monster - Ferrara - Love Attack. I really must do a disco mix
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
      So I went to a meeting yesterday and was stood up.
      With some time on my hands I trawlled a few charities and came up with some (for me) random singles

The Rokes - Ma Che Freddo Fra/Per Te Per Me I've heard of the Rokes as a Brit band that went to Italy and made it big. I love the sleeve of this single so I thought I'd take a punt. The a side is quite catchy late 60s pop. A little fuzzy guitar action and a singalong chorus that is completely beyond my limted Italian. The b side is pants
      I Dik Dik - Piccola Arcancia/Zucchero Again picked up for the sleeve - live the guy in the mustache and cravat, not so keen on the tam o'shanter! I'm really liking this. It has a kind of Small Faces Ogden's Nut Gone Flake feel to it - a generous sweep, great guitar, a slightly psychy/pastoral lilt and an extended outro. Meanwhile the b side is a slight let down. Anyone know anything about these guys?
      Ralf Bendix - Sag Mir Deine Sorgen/Baby Sitting Boogie Not sure why I picked this up. The a side is smaltzy schlagger. But the b side is inspired maddness. Its a kind a hully gully with baby noises over the top, including the sound of the baby doing a poo! Mr Bendix has a good voice but its the baby saying boogie that clinches it. Novelty but good
      Les Reed - Man of Action It was the handwritten sleeve that caught my attention. Worth 50p of anyone's money. It don't know about Radio North Sea or why they would chose this track as their theme tune. Its pleasent enough but to my ears it doesn't quite live up to its title
      Perhaps all 4 of these singles came from Radio North Sea?

EDIT: just looked up RNI - some of the DJ names are excellent...

Robin Adcroft as "Robin Banks"
      "Daffy" Don Allen
      Roger "Twiggy" Day
      Arnold Layne
      Spangles Muldoon aka Chris Carey
      Louise Quirk

I Dik Dik were huge in Italy - you see their records all over the place over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
        Tom Rush - Merrimack County. Don't really know Tom Rush, but love the first track, 'Kids These Days' with its laconic funky riff and drawly vocal delivery. Some other countrified rocky bits, SSW stuff.
        Tom Rush has got some great stuff in his back catalogue (especially the stuff on Elektra) mainly in the ssw/folk troubadour mold but he also knew his r'n'b onions as well...

"Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Slim Jim View Post
          Tom Rush has got some great stuff in his back catalogue
          i really rate this LP (which should be easy to find cheap) - tough country funk next to lovely SSW gear:

Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Kingsday finds part one ... All under

Miharu Koshi - Boy Soprano, Dutch release, and the music is a mixture between electronic, classical music and new wave.

Francis Bebey ‎– Guitare D'Une Autre Rime, recorded in 1971, came out in 1975 Afro Folk from Cameroon.

Karlheinz Stockhausen - Negative Band, The ‎Short Wave, Contemporary, Experimental, Electronic Avantgarde Classical.

Roland Pöntinen Plays Piano Music by Erik Satie, into this lately.

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks, well known title, 1st press Germany, green label.

Buffalo Springfield ‎– Buffalo Springfield, clean USA copy, For What It’s Worth is still a great song.

German version of the John Carpenters Soundtrack Escape from New York. Translation: Rattlesnake.

In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson), Pink Rim version, welcome since I traded my first press.

Elmore James ‎– To Know A Man, Blue Horizon compilation of a great Blues artist.

A nice Nothern Soul compilation which is worth picking up.

Captain Beefheart And Magic Band, The ‎– Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller), is already the tenth studio album by Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band. Released in 1978, I can enjoy this one, I do not fancy all of his work.

Jeff Beck ‎– Truth, UK 1st press

Found several Brazil records, this is one which is better than most I found. Benito Di Paula ‎– Brasil Som 75. From 1975 …

Duster Bennett ‎– Bright Lights... Another UK Blue Horizon, Electric Blues.

Already had the alternative German cover with the mousetrap, love this one too.

Couldn’t leave this behind, was in such a great condition.

Oscar Harris, famous for Relax before Doin’ Sex, minted up and poster included.

Dave Edmunds ‎– Rockpile, more good blues.

Jeff Beck live, as far as I know this is a Japan only release. Mind blowing recording.

Azymuth ‎– Telecommunication, completing the collection, fusion jazz.

Leon Russell ‎– Leon Russell, also a UK press, prefer this record above others I heard of him before.

Georges Garvarentz ‎– Les Galets D'Etretat, mellow French soundtrack, has its moments.

Beck – Ola, UK 1st press.

Ned Doheny ‎– Hard Candy, happy to find this cheap, this record getting more and more in demand driving up the price.

Brett Marvin and the Thunderbolts, UK Blues, one of the lesser blues albums I found.
            My Statigram account ...

http://statigr.am/cratedigger

http://kratgraver.blogspot.nl

Comment

Kingsday finds part II, all under

No need to introduce, beautiful US copy

Swedish Jazz Compilation, some great tracks on this one.

Country Joe & The Fish* ‎– Here We Are Again.

Jack Johnson in Europe, Older Blues.

Duane Allman & Gregg Allman

Brainbox, clean copy …

Best of Traffic, picked this up because it’s a Pink Label.

Manfred Mann ‎– As Is, unfortunately B1 is damaged, otherwise a great listen.

Jeremy Spencer, UK copy, really into the sounds of Fleetwood Mac lately.

Beautiful Red Plum UK copy.

Cuby and the Blizzards – Kid Blue, Dutch Blues legends.

Pleasure ‎– Joyous, classic Disco Soul Funk.

Two other Jazz funk fusion records which were missing in my collection.

Ashik Feyzullah Tchinar ‎– Turquie: Chants Sacrés D'Anatolie, beautiful Ocora release, very enjoyable record.

Double bass and vocals of Dee Dee Bridgewater, Avantgarde Free Jazz.

And many more …

Oke, I stop now … found many more, but around 30 became shop credits …
              My Statigram account ...

Comment

Lovely stuff Cees. There's a great funky track on that country joe lp.
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                  Lovely stuff Cees. There's a great funky track on that country joe lp.
                  Played one side a few days ago, love that, horns too.
                  My Statigram account ...

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
                    Perhaps all 4 of these singles came from Radio North Sea?

EDIT: just looked up RNI - some of the DJ names are excellent...

Robin Adcroft as "Robin Banks"
                    "Daffy" Don Allen
                    Roger "Twiggy" Day
                    Arnold Layne
                    Spangles Muldoon aka Chris Carey
                    Louise Quirk
                    I remember listening to RNI although none of the DJ names ring any bells now. I notice one of the ships it broadcast from was Mi Amigo. I remember that name, Caroline used to broadcast from that ship too I think?

Comment

Just a little furniture shop material going cheap:

Dan Lacksman Association - Flamenco Moog An semi-expected two-tracker delight. This is a strange one in terms of labels - Most of his releases are credited with distribution in Belgium, but apparently an Australian budget label got hold of it somehow as I now have several things by him. Most of it's your general moog and drums material - above par, since it's nearly all original compositions beside the inevitable "Popcorn" - but the real meat comes in on the B-side with "Lonely Days" and "The Sound of My Love", both presumably having Dan singing - the former being a something of a psychedelic dirge, and the latter being a ballad laden with mellotrons, weird whooshing, and some lovely electric guitar. Very pleasing.

Of course, I'm probably going on about something well known here?

John Elder - Derelicts Unusual 1987 Australian jazz-ambiance - field recordings of homeless people, fake-sounding keyboards, and excellent harmonica playing. Some vocalists on the B-side. No idea what to make of it - not quite my bag, but I think I'll keep it for a while unless anybody's had it on their want list.

Wendy Carlos - Sonic Seasonings This has been in the back of my mind for a little while, so it was nice to find, but ultimately a disappointment. No baroque suites here - it's 60% field recordings, 40% textural synthesizer. A couple of nice bits but hardly worth a double album. I did find a sample I've been wondering about for ages though, so not a complete wash.

Lipps, Inc - Pucker Up Straightforward 1980 electro-disco, but the engineering sounds wonderful and whoever's singing has some pipes. Been spun the most today actually.

Comment

A couple of albums from a medway chazza

Bloodstone st uk decca 1972 inc poster

Delroy Washington -i sus- UK virgin 1976

------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Comment

A few bits from Mudshark in Bangor

DUNE David Matthews CTI 1977
                          UK press of Sci fi concept album that almost ruined Creed Taylor's jazz label (Frank Herbert the author sued as it was BASED on not INSPIRED BY) other tracks include Star wars theme reworking and a David Bowie cover . Weniwe its all about hip hop staple sandworms

Dance to the Dealians 1972 Galo
                          South African pop covers (usually medleys) There's a nice cover of Credence Clear Water revival 's bad moon a rising with fuzz and nice organ tones. Not much info on the web but here's an audio of one track

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Danc...alians/7165082

Dawn's great take away concert
                          Mungo Jerry, Afreka Paul Brett Sage and Comus on one gate fold comp.
                          I found the bass on this pressing of song of Comus higher than the LP ? ANY OPININONS on this

sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

A few 78s, amongst which the best:

Dolores Ventura - Baa Baa Boogie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pRUTywkNbw

Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers - Baby Baby / I'm Not A Juvenile Delinquent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7omgE7DXeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r2HF5uHtNE
                            some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

This mornings completely random bootfair buys. Most under a quid each. Nothing survived to enter my collection so i cant be arsed to talk about them lol

Comment

Working...
                              X