May 2014 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by treeboy View Post
    I've only heard Caterpillar from Lees post, but it sounds as if there's more good stuff to be found in there. Cheers for the heads up
    No bother Paul. Here is the other heavier track on the LP....

"Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

• Originally posted by gogo View Post
      Back from Greece. some none-greek records (I have to listen them and after I can give you information if interest)
      The Fiddler's Dram is decent FolkRock with Albion Band and Oyster Band connections.
      Last edited by moecurlythanu; 25-05-2014, 05:11 PM. Reason: Addled brain.
      https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

• I had a random wander round the hinterland between Nottingham and Derby (proper bandit country) hitting charity shops as I came across them, relieving them of any interesting vinyl and books, then fleeing the scene. I took in Ilkeston, Belper, Ripley, Eastwood and Kimberley.

I do these things so that you don't have to.

My finds for the day (and a couple of others chucked in):

Three of the above came from the back-room of a Lighthouse shop, the staff kindly allowed me to go through and have a rummage. If nowt else, I've added to the 'spares' pile in case anyone needs these. I think 'Voodoo Party' is now the title that I'm pathologically unable to leave behind when seen for pennies.

Guess which one of these came off eBay? Yup, Cher. Purchase completely influenced by the recent BBC4 documentary on the Muscle Shoals sound. Haven't had chance to play it yet, dead busy at the mo, but looking forward to a proper listen as I've read good things. Chuffed to bits to nail two more Scritti Politti 12"s. Mad that I've been after them for months and had no joy, then I take two trips out on consecutive weeks and tick off each one that I wanted. I'm also partial to The Associates and find their ecstacy-fuelled indulgences great fun.

Some random 'exotic' stuff to rehome in the vicinity. The top left one turned out to be a marching band and was awful, so it went in my BIN section. BIN meaning 'in the bin', taken out of circulation with extreme prejudice. Had a quick listen to the Digni Garcia, fearing the worst, but there's a quite beaty track on there that I might listen to again, before the rehoming.

These were all from the aforementioned back-room, there was so much big band stuff that it was ridiculous. I just made up the numbers with a few extra bits to take down the market to bulk out my usual trades package. Have filed the Dankworth in my 'spares' though.

These were among the last things I got, when my blood sugars and powers of reasoning had started to drop badly. The Rodrigo and Len Magee were both abysmal and have been added to the BIN section (I put the sleeves in the recycling bin, re-use the inners and the vinyl goes in with the household rubbish). The Percussion one will be a freebie and the Bill Bryson would be a Waxidermy 'boner' I reckon, but it's so bonkers that I think someone round here could probably use it. Says it's an '82 release (on Whale Rock Music!) but tracks date back to the early 70s and he's one of these private press multi-instrumentalists, with the emphasis on 'mentalist'. Anyhoo, there's one track with a female guest vocalist that's kind of folktronica, then there's a tune 'St Michael's Mount' that's almost acid folk / SSW. Really odd and self-indulgent stuff, but fair fucks to him.

And, yesterday, I decided to trek down to the market, despite pissing rain and traded in two bags of chuff for...........

Bang.
        Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

• 2 records from todays boot fair,but looking forward to next weeks boot fair,a regular stall holder said that,he is bringing 7 or 8 boxes of in his words "black music" reggae/soul/funk no idea..

xtc-3d ep 12" virgin 1977

and an african lp....

sir warrior and his oriental brothers african issue 1981 afrodisiac label

------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Comment

• Originally posted by toby.d View Post
            Four of my favourites of the month so far, all found on my recent trip to Japan. I will say more about the shopping there and post my the other finds when I have more time.

Jim Sullivan - Jim Sullivan (Century)

As you probably know, this is the U.F.O album but with the tracks mixed differently and in a different order. I had never heard this version until I got it but U.F.O was and is right up there with my favourite albums and ultimate 'know-I'll-never-find-one' wants. The differences between the two are pretty obvious and to be honest I think the original mixes are superior. It might just be familiarity but I think the drums on the OG go harder and it's got a 'rawer' quality to it. Regardless I was well chuffed to get this and you can't fuck with the songs themselves, they're still close to perfect front to back. Funky folky SSW desert highway music.

Harsh Reality - Heaven And Hell (Combel)

90s boot or re' of '68 Phillips release. Starts off like hard blues rock but develops into a psychedelic progtastic trip. Lives up to the cover. Only listened once so not much more to say but I think this is pretty well known anyway.

Hollins And Starr - Sideways Talking (Ovation)

Also new to me but I somewhat knew what to expect. It's like diet psych with lots of folk influences, quite dreamlike throughout. There's loads of floating fluting, including a Bach cover thrown into the middle. Overall an amazing listen, loads of changes in tempo and style, fuzz, sound effects, everything.

David Kauffman And Eric Caboor - Songs From Suicide Bridge (Donkey Soul Music)

I was so so pleased to find this, definitely my favourite purchase of the trip. Excellent price on a relatively rare record but mostly just because the music is so good. 1984 folk rock with a lonely and lost sound to it. Beautiful melodies, guitar work, lyrics and feel. Middle of the night type stuff. Complete with letters signed by Kauffman and Caboor to prospective stockers who never filled in the consignment form inside. Highly recommended.

As always, happy to send rips of any of these if you want.

Jim Sullivan pressing on Century is the original mix. The one with the Earl Palmer drums and stuff was supposed to get a major label deal that never happened. That's what I read anyway.

Suicide Bridge is killer. WANT

Comment

• My first ebay purchase since two years. And well chuffed with it

Bought this off a guy with zero feedback, and zero other items for sale. So took a bit of a risk/gamble and that might've been why I was the only bidder on this item.

Wasn't cheap, cheap but wasn't expensive (considering the going rate).

Also, was graded as VG for record/cover, but to my ears and feel it might as well be an Ex copy.

Comment

• From the wild in the last week (it's tough out there at the moment in my experience)

The chaff from following around (as ever) a certain Mr JS at this morning's booter, all turning out to be very enjoyable in their own way:

The Soul Of Shirley Caesar (Trip). Can find virtually no references to this thru Google. Great live Gospel LP. I can do without the Jesus stuff but love the singing and the backing singers are especially good.

Dusty Springfield - It Begins again. Her comeback album from '78 minus cover. Dusty is always worth the entry price. Includes That's The Kind Of Love You've Got For Me.

Robert Knight - Love On A Mountain Top. I've always thought the Robert Knight fell between two(or three) stools - an awkward amalgam of soul, pop, and a splash of country(?). Nevertheless all the tracks here are pleasant and I'm particularly liking Sandy, Rachel The Stranger, and Branded! (the last two verge into psych territory and are almost brilliant but let down by a bit of unnecessary pop sweetening along the way.

The Stranglers - The Raven. The limited release 3D sleeve

A nice clutch of 45s from last weeks booter:

The Hollies x2 - including Come On Back / We're Through which is belter of a double header. The Hollies could count as one of my collection tics - I always buy their singles when I see them - but as a tic is something you probably wish you didn't have The Hollies don't count as their stuff is all great!

Jacky - White Horses.

Bobbie Gentry - Hushabye Mountain. See The Hollies above re collection tic.

Duncan Browne - On The Bombsite / Alfred Bell. His debut 45 on Immediate. Really pleased to pick this up for 50p

Stylus - s/t (The Best Kept Secret). Picked this up a couple of days ago, needs a clean and might be ok. Australian funk / soul. Would sit well along side Ned Doheny on a comp. have been playing this on repeat on youtube:

(God! pasting in the image links from the new Flickr site is doing my head in!)

Comment

• Bank holiday trawl around my patch

Chuffed with the laugh laugh. First one I've ever found in the wild. Spare but spoken for I think.
                  Nina & Fredrick weird concept lp spare too
                  Atarah band were spare too but gone.
                  The Xian folky one is too gentle for me. The one on milestones is ok but too Latin jazz funk to stay to be honest.
                  Never seen the tony Osborne before. It's ok but nowt to get excited about.
                  In summary I found a nice LP which I already had but still gave me a momentary buzz
                  "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                    Chuffed with the laugh laugh. First one I've ever found in the wild. Spare but spoken for I think.
                    Nina & Fredrick weird concept lp spare too
                    I'm after these if that's cool Lee mate...Nice Finds BTW.
                    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                      I'm after these if that's cool Lee mate...Nice Finds BTW.
                      Nae bother!
                      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mescal View Post
                        My first ebay purchase since two years. And well chuffed with it

Bought this off a guy with zero feedback, and zero other items for sale. So took a bit of a risk/gamble and that might've been why I was the only bidder on this item.

Wasn't cheap, cheap but wasn't expensive (considering the going rate).

Also, was graded as VG for record/cover, but to my ears and feel it might as well be an Ex copy.

Result! I picked up the RSD issue after seeing people bigging it up on here. Amazing lp. Been playing it loads.Pleased for you, that's a nice one to bag an og of

Nice one on the Duncan Browne 45 Candiman. I'm with you on the Hollies. Can't leave a copy of Look Through Any Window for the amazing B side So Lonely
                        Everyone tear down your own little wall
                        That keeps you from being a part of it all
                        Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                        You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
                          Chuffed to bits to nail two more Scritti Politti 12"s. Mad that I've been after them for months and had no joy, then I take two trips out on consecutive weeks and tick off each one that I wanted. I'm also partial to The Associates and find their ecstacy-fuelled indulgences great fun.
                          Huge love over here for both Mr Gartside's gorgeous Fairlight driven funk/pop symphonies and Mr MacKenzies jaw dropping songs. These two made some of the best music of that period ever.
                          Big ups.
                          Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

• Half a dozen new 45s

Thanks to Ben for surprising me with a nice clean copy of this one.
                            [IMG][/IMG]
                            Drums, drums and more drums. Wicked tune
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPIR136Yc-g

This one came still sealed up in its polythene bag! Flagged up from the lp in a previous post, sound great on a 45
                            [IMG][/IMG]

3rd press from '66. Mira 222. Og from 65 is 207. Quite different sounding versions as can be heard in the clip. Have to say I prefer the 207, but this is still pretty tasty. Spare I think
                            [IMG][/IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0P2iWrcfUI

Staying on the garage tip Canadian killer from 66. Repro from a few years back, sounds great.
                            [IMG][/IMG]
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTyWSMltqm4

Great 2 sider from Jellyroll from 1970.Strange / Help me over. I haven't heard the lp, so can anyone tell me if it's as good as the 45 (both tracks are lifted from the lp) or have they just pulled the 2 best for the 45?
                            [IMG][/IMG]
                            Could only find a clip of the A side. The b side is just as good.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxB4RaTr9SI

Best 'til last? Wonderful 45 from The Ghost. Dark, twisty turny, proggy psych. A scary earworm this has proved to be this week. Just brilliant. German, no p/s unfortunately.
                            [IMG][/IMG]]
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Eoh95L1TQ
                            Everyone tear down your own little wall
                            That keeps you from being a part of it all
                            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• recent LP finds

picked up 2 of these in a series of god knows how many, recorded in Vitaphonic Stereo in 1962

ahh I remember Jack (the lad) he was Artful Dodger in Oliver,
                              he's brave to take on The Beatles and The Small Faces on his debut LP

in 1969 the best way to flog LP's of dodgy cover versions was of course
                              to have the ladies showing their lovely knickers. The man responsible refuses
                              to show his pants but at least he's left some deck-chairs out for the ladies, nice.

a suprising find this week, never seen another copy in all my years,
                              it features music by John Barry on it, but I was shocked to see no songs
                              about red double decker buses, tsk...

excellent double album of early songs by old rockers - released in 1974
                              with a great pic on the rear of the sleeve.

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

a suprising find this week, never seen another copy in all my years,
                                it features music by John Barry on it, but I was shocked to see no songs
                                about red double decker buses, tsk...
                                how's the jazz waltz?

Comment

Working...
                                X