May 2014 Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pencilface View Post
    I have all 3 of his LPs (he only did 3 right?) and the one you have there is my favourite by a long shot. Loads of really great songs on there and some killer smooth session playing… put it on repeat!
    It's definitely moving up my rankings with every spin! There is one more LP of his which I'm very interested in getting which was Japan only in the late 80s, on the Polystar label. The rest are 90s CDs which I don't need to own but wouldn't mind hearing more from.

Comment

• Had another charity shop blitz yesterday as I had to go across town to hospital to see what's what with my wisdom teeth (Two of the buggers are going apparently and I'm booked in on 27th June at................two thirty. Fucking piss-take!). So, while over that side of Nottingham, I took the opportunity to off-set my persecution complex by hitting the chazzas in Beeston, Stapleford (aka 'Stabo'), Long Eaton, Arnold and Sherwood. It wasn't a great haul, mostly added to the next round of freebies, but I enjoyed the mission regardless.

So, here's the first lot:

Got my Jesus on here, all these came from a chazza in Arnold. The two on the left are from New Zealand and the 'SaulTalk' one has an incredible opening 30 seconds, breakbeat and mad instrumentation which I'm sure some beatmaker round here can do summat with. The Come To The Water doodah is a comp of about four different artists and gets very close to acid folk and there was also a flexi-disk inside with a soulful happy-clappy tune on, so very much worth the 50p. The Jamie Owens is a bit 'meh', maybe too choral, not enough room given to the band. Evie is someone who's albums seem to crop up a lot and I've never dared go there, but this one was from an early enough date to tempt me and it's actually not bad at all - goes for a more soulful gospel sound and isn't a million miles away from Delaney and Bonnie on some cuts.

These three all came from the same chazza in Stapleford. They're most likely all spares, though I'm gonna give Vincent Bell another try before deciding as I thought the production was ace, it's just his (apparently) trademark 'underwater' guitar sound that begins to grate after a while. Maybe tolerable on the odd track, but every track? Really Vince?

VV classics that I see less and less these days in the shape of Ray McVay and Sight and Sound (a bit scuffed but 'Fragment of Fear' and 'Woodstock' play great), both spares. The Frankie Armstrong is (I think) a US singer doing some very faithful renditions of English folk, trying to be Sandy Denny, but kind of irritates me by adding an 'H' where there shouHouldn't beHe oHone like BeHeth fuHucking OHorton.

And finally, last and definitely least, Nancy and Lee to go in the freebie pile and a couple of Gene Pitneys to pad out (but not by much) trading activity next time I'm down the market.

Not a bad month really.
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
        hitting the chazzas in Beeston, Stapleford (aka 'Stabo'), Long Eaton, Arnold and Sherwood....
        Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
        Not a bad month really.
        Christ, it's not often you see or hear those words together. I like to spell it with a double b just to make sure everyone knows. Long Eaton also has some quite nasty nicknames that are best not printed up on this civilised social space.

And we'll have words about you rummaging on my old manor, sir.
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

The Frankie Armstrong is (I think) a US singer doing some very faithful renditions of English folk, trying to be Sandy Denny, but kind of irritates me by adding an 'H' where there shouHouldn't beHe oHone like BeHeth fuHucking OHorton.
          Found one of Frankie's albums last year - but passed it on. She is English - from Workington originally. Now a voice teacher http://www.frankiearmstrong.com/
          Perhaps Beth took lessons?

Also - Nancy & Lee was a definite keeper for me.

Comment

• yesterday .. divine intervention

anyone have any info about the one above, all the ones I've found sold have all been just demo copies ?

Last edited by reza; 31-05-2014, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by reza View Post
              yesterday .. divine intervention

anyone have any info about the one above, all the ones I've found sold have all been just demo copies ?

Whooooop!
              A Sound Awareness

Comment

• I forgot to mention those few from dif. flea markets in Europe the last 30 days - Portugal, Spain, Greece and Bulgaria:

I Dik dik and Dalibor Brazda from end of 50-s

and this Omega's single:

Comment

• Benicio,

what are the arists on that Come to the Water, its got an interesting auraa about it
                  sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

• Originally posted by el sporto View Post
                    Whooooop!
                    Great finds on those Garrick 45s - well done

Comment

• Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
                      Benicio,

what are the arists on that Come to the Water, its got an interesting auraa about it
                      In order of appearance: (members of the bands are supplied on the sleeve)

Tom Bradley
                      Certain Sounds 74
                      Parle Sauni Group
                      New Zeal 3
                      Wellington Chorale
                      Mass Chorale
                      Mark Hensman Group

Record Producer = Carol Sawyer

Produced and distributed by Youth for Christ (NZ) Inc.

No, I'm none the wiser either.
                      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Tom Bradley
                        Certain Sounds 74
                        Parle Sauni Group
                        New Zeal 3
                        Wellington Chorale
                        Mass Chorale
                        Mark Hensman Group

Cheers mate.... great finds by the way
                        sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

• Interesting looking finds gogo. Any good tips for Portugal as I'm visiting in a month or so. I've been looking out for a copy of the Sunny Cry ep by Kameleoni for some time now to upgrade my trashed one. Give me a shout if you come across a spare one Same to anyone else with one they don't need.
                          Everyone tear down your own little wall
                          That keeps you from being a part of it all
                          Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                          You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Tom Bradley
                            Certain Sounds 74
                            Parle Sauni Group
                            New Zeal 3
                            Wellington Chorale
                            Mass Chorale
                            Mark Hensman Group

ha…I am, Tom Bradley was a newsreader with spray on hair, the rest are sundry Xstian acts - Certain Sounds was a revolving cast of young believers who toured schools torturing poor young fullas such as myself during our lunchtimes. I carry far too much personal baggage to ever consider picking that album up.
                            as an aside, there was a noisy, post-punk, sort of, act here called Youth for Christ - two basses and drums - who pissed the proper YFC off royally. that was a jolly jape, might have ended up in court as I remember.

Comment

• a few 45 finds from todays local boot fair...

------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Comment

• I've been a bit tardy posting May's finds up, and I know how you all love them...

A lovely picture sleeve for the wooly hatted classic. Paul 'Benny' Henry - Waiting At The Crossroads:

They can't have released many more records that I don't have. Barron Knights - The Two Sides of The Barron Knights:

The Barron Knights - I'd Like To Teach The World To Laugh:

A reasonably rare Australian EMI release, Barry Humphries - A Nice Night's Entertainment:

Another regional comedy delight, An Evening With the Original Black Country Night Out:

John Dalby - Get Me:

I think I now have three versions of this single, it's not often he didn't release some maudlin ballad. Ken Dodd - Doddy and The Diddymen:

A charity shop find I was never going to be able to leave behind. Various - Goofy Greats:

I had to leave another Hoffnung behind in order to retrieve this one from its charity shop bin. Gerald Hoffnung - The Hoffnung Interplanetary Music Festival:

Scary clowns. Don Spencer, Chloe Ashcroft and Carol Chell - Hokey Cokey:

Scary men in macs. From the same Blackburn chazza as the one above. Wolfe Jones - Rifles of the IRA:

And what trip to the Buxton charity shop mile would be complete without a haul of tatty TOTP records and yet more Mrs Mills? None, that's what.

Mrs Mills - Especially For You:

Mrs Mills - Knees-Up Party:

Lovely girl #1

Lovely girl #2

Yet more from Buxton. Postman Pat - Songs and Music From the Television Series:

A few from a trip to Blackpool. Stanley Myers - Prick Up Your Ears:

Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66 - Greatest Hits:

Played it. It's not sexy, it's barely even Hammond. Leslie First and Combo - Sexy Hammond:

The 12 inch version with Roast Beef Scratch and Sniff sleeve. That's definitely one to keep in the plastic cover. Spinal Tap - The Majesty of Rock:

More folk than comedy at this stage in his career. Tony Capstick with Hedgehog Pie - His Round:

Another one I already have but in a different sleeve. Goons - Michael Parkinson Meets The Goons:

Scrumpy and Western bandwagon jumpers, Shag Connor and the Carrot Crunchers - A Little of What You Fancy:

And to finish, a hat trick from the vulgar wee Scotsman, Hector Nicol - Cop of the North:

Hector Nicol - Queen of the Road:

Hector Nicol - Scotch and Full Of It:

The Downstairs Lounge
                                http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                                http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Working...
                                X