X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SirSlim
    replied
    Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
    So I went to a meeting yesterday and was stood up.
    With some time on my hands I trawlled a few charities and came up with some (for me) random singles

The Rokes - Ma Che Freddo Fra/Per Te Per Me I've heard of the Rokes as a Brit band that went to Italy and made it big. I love the sleeve of this single so I thought I'd take a punt. The a side is quite catchy late 60s pop. A little fuzzy guitar action and a singalong chorus that is completely beyond my limted Italian. The b side is pants
    I Dik Dik - Piccola Arcancia/Zucchero Again picked up for the sleeve - live the guy in the mustache and cravat, not so keen on the tam o'shanter! I'm really liking this. It has a kind of Small Faces Ogden's Nut Gone Flake feel to it - a generous sweep, great guitar, a slightly psychy/pastoral lilt and an extended outro. Meanwhile the b side is a slight let down. Anyone know anything about these guys?
    Ralf Bendix - Sag Mir Deine Sorgen/Baby Sitting Boogie Not sure why I picked this up. The a side is smaltzy schlagger. But the b side is inspired maddness. Its a kind a hully gully with baby noises over the top, including the sound of the baby doing a poo! Mr Bendix has a good voice but its the baby saying boogie that clinches it. Novelty but good
    Les Reed - Man of Action It was the handwritten sleeve that caught my attention. Worth 50p of anyone's money. It don't know about Radio North Sea or why they would chose this track as their theme tune. Its pleasent enough but to my ears it doesn't quite live up to its title
    Perhaps all 4 of these singles came from Radio North Sea?

EDIT: just looked up RNI - some of the DJ names are excellent...

Robin Adcroft as "Robin Banks"
    "Daffy" Don Allen
    Roger "Twiggy" Day
    Arnold Layne
    Spangles Muldoon aka Chris Carey
    Louise Quirk

I Dik Dik were huge in Italy - you see their records all over the place over there.

Leave a comment:

• Expiry2011
    replied
    So I went to a meeting yesterday and was stood up.
    With some time on my hands I trawlled a few charities and came up with some (for me) random singles

The Rokes - Ma Che Freddo Fra/Per Te Per Me I've heard of the Rokes as a Brit band that went to Italy and made it big. I love the sleeve of this single so I thought I'd take a punt. The a side is quite catchy late 60s pop. A little fuzzy guitar action and a singalong chorus that is completely beyond my limted Italian. The b side is pants
    I Dik Dik - Piccola Arcancia/Zucchero Again picked up for the sleeve - live the guy in the mustache and cravat, not so keen on the tam o'shanter! I'm really liking this. It has a kind of Small Faces Ogden's Nut Gone Flake feel to it - a generous sweep, great guitar, a slightly psychy/pastoral lilt and an extended outro. Meanwhile the b side is a slight let down. Anyone know anything about these guys?
    Ralf Bendix - Sag Mir Deine Sorgen/Baby Sitting Boogie Not sure why I picked this up. The a side is smaltzy schlagger. But the b side is inspired maddness. Its a kind a hully gully with baby noises over the top, including the sound of the baby doing a poo! Mr Bendix has a good voice but its the baby saying boogie that clinches it. Novelty but good
    Les Reed - Man of Action It was the handwritten sleeve that caught my attention. Worth 50p of anyone's money. It don't know about Radio North Sea or why they would chose this track as their theme tune. Its pleasent enough but to my ears it doesn't quite live up to its title

And I also picked up this disco monster - Ferrara - Love Attack. I really must do a disco mix

Leave a comment:

• Sonovox
    started a topic May 2014 Finds

May 2014 Finds

A mix of 50p charity shop sale stuff, and other items from the region of a fiver.

Phyllis Tate - Youth Sings. I so nearly skipped over this, but so glad something made me check it out closer. Definitely in the Trunk Records zone of cool childrens music, there's two school choirs on this 1968 record, singing music composed or arranged by Phyllis Tate. The first side is 'Seven Lincolnshire Folk Songs', taken from the Percy Grainger song book. As the liner notes say, 'piano and percussion as equal partners with the choir', which translates into a track like 'Bold William Taylor' roaring along with discordant piano chords and thumping bass drum coming in and out. Sounds fantastic and otherwordly. There's also 'Horkstow Grange', the song which Steeleye Span got its name from, and 'Oats And Beans And Barley'. Side 2 kicks off with the wonderful 'Street Sounds: Concertante Suite For Wordless Choir, Piano and Percussion', including three sections, starting off with 'Local Band' where the singers imitate the sound of instruments played by enthusiastic amateurs, along with lots of bass drum and triangles. The whole thing wraps up with some 'Folk Songs From France'. Wonderful stuff all!

Fishbone - The Reality Of My Surroundings. A long time fave of mine, upgrading to vinyl . There are a couple of duff tracks, but it's a double album which means there is a huge amount to love here. Stands up way better than any other 'punk funk' of the era, you've got layers and layers of metal guitars, horns, vocals and madness. Highlights include 'Fight The Youth' and 'Housework', a nicely bonkers ska-funk-jazz-whatever heap of chore-driven fun.

Sandy Tobias Offenheim - If Snowflakes Fell In Flavours. Canadian private press of children's songs, with quirky titles - 'Onions Make Me Cry', 'I Am Ready To Eat Spaghetti', 'Do Not Disturb My Olfactory Nerve', 'I Feel Grouchy'. Tweeness abounds.

King Sunny Ade - Juju Music. Lovely stuff.

Cyril Stapledon - Film Themes Go Latin. Hey, a Latin version of 'The Sicilian Clan', let's go! Not very Latin, or Sicilian, but the start /end with the dogwhistle strings and synth (?) is great, elsewhere an odd bit of fuzz and string flourishes. Not bad.

Rupert Hine - Immunity. Not really feeling this one first time through, art rockish bleak desolate feel. One track really stood out, 'Another Stranger' with unusual vocal treatments, snippets of gabble and 'computer' sound FX.

Tom Rush - Merrimack County. Don't really know Tom Rush, but love the first track, 'Kids These Days' with its laconic funky riff and drawly vocal delivery. Some other countrified rocky bits, SSW stuff.

Richard Torrance - Eureka. Fliptop sleeve, slick rock songs.
Working...
X