May 2014 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Craig and Lee for the write ups!
    It's quite interesting that the last set of finds I posted I added quite a lot if info, links to songs etc and virtually no one commented. It took ages to post too.
    This time I put up pictures only and get more of a response!

Comment

Do you have it Craig?
      My Statigram account ...

http://statigr.am/cratedigger

http://kratgraver.blogspot.nl

Comment

Originally posted by Kratgraver View Post
        Do you have it?
        Yeah, a US copy, but it's rough!
        "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Got a near mint USA copy as spare, but that haves some background noises too. If you are interested PM me.
          My Statigram account ...

Comment

Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
            Thanks Craig and Lee for the write ups!
            It's quite interesting that the last set of finds I posted I added quite a lot if info, links to songs etc and virtually no one commented. It took ages to post too.
            This time I put up pictures only and get more of a response!
            Mark mate, if you can be bothered I would always add bit info if you can (Sorry I know this has been discussed at length a couple of times on here!), just because people don't comment doesn't mean they haven't read and took note! Plus you blanket post it on Waxi as well as Soulstrut, I'd be surprised if no one comments on one of the three boards!

Comment

Got a near mint USA copy as spare, but that haves some background noises too. If you are interested PM me.
              Thanks for the offer Cees, but if it's got background noise I think I'll pass as you need it clean to enjoy it fully...So the Japanese press is the way to go?

Comment

Yes the Japanese version sounds completely clean. I think the US copy is badly pressed to enjoy fully.
                My Statigram account ...

Comment

Thanks man...

I think the US copy is badly pressed to enjoy fully.
                  Not that I could tell as my copy has marks!

Comment

I've been hitting the car boots, charities, record fairs & also a few trips out of town the last few weeks. Here are some highlights (for me at least)

These 3 from a local charity - the Scarecrow and Owen Hand are pretty trashed but play through ok. Apparently the guy who donated them apologised for the condition & said he'd been drunk for around 20 years... Scarecrow is 1978 prog - the band sound like musicians who were too good to be punks. Half recorded at the Marquee and half at the Brecknock, just up the road from me. Kevin Lamb is lovely folky SSW, & in nice condition. Some great songs on here - anyone know it? Owen Hand is a bit samey acoustic folk - I like the record shop sticker from Holloway Road though...

A few long-time wants crossed off - Jon & Jodi from Flashback. I've been outbid on this too often to be funny so it was nice to see this on the wall & cheaper than usual ebay as well. Gary Farr's Strange Fruit from Olympia - not as good as his first, but 'In the Mud' is the bomb. Keith Tippett from a car boot - minus sleeve, but plays fine. Anyone got a spare sleeve knocking about?

Car boot and junk shop reggae finds. The Prince Buster sleeve is wrecked (as you can see...) and it's warped - but one side plays beautifully, & includes his superb version of Respect. The Lloyd Charmers has around 5 great funky tracks including the Hippy Boys' version of Look-a-py-py and an excellent Can't Get Next To You which I hadn't heard before. Well worth getting if like this kind of thing. Byron Lee has a quirky version of Je T'Aime and some other pretty cool stuff, best of which is probably Who Dunnit, written by Jackie Mittoo.

Road trip to Dorset & picked these two up in Weymouth and Bridport. The VU is the original 1968 UK press & in pretty good nick; Driscoll & Auger is mint.

A few online finds - the Waleska & Josemir is beautifully arranged languidly cool Brazilian 60s music at its best. Songs alternately with male & female leads. This was from a UK seller so slipped through the net - I think it's pretty sought-after. The inscription reads "Jonathan, here you have one collection of very romantic brazilian songs. Don't forget, it works in any country, in any language. From your brazilian friend Franco"

Two more very long-time wants, both well known in these parts: Margo Guryan was also from a UK seller who evidently didn't check popsike before putting it on Discogs. And 'Bright Phoebus' is simply beautiful. These three have been hogging my turntable for the last few weeks.

Singles to follow...

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post

A few online finds - the Waleska & Josemir is beautifully arranged languidly cool Brazilian 60s music at its best. Songs alternately with male & female leads. This was from a UK seller so slipped through the net - I think it's pretty sought-after. The inscription reads "Jonathan, here you have one collection of very romantic brazilian songs. Don't forget, it works in any country, in any language. From your brazilian friend Franco"

Two more very long-time wants, both well known in these parts: Margo Guryan was also from a UK seller who evidently didn't check popsike before putting it on Discogs. And 'Bright Phoebus' is simply beautiful. These three have been hogging my turntable for the last few weeks.

Singles to follow...
                      I think I might have been an underbidder on the Waleska and Josemir - or maybe I was watching it and forgot to bid
                      Small world!
                      Last edited by Sie Vulture; 06-05-2014, 03:27 PM.
                      "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                        I think I might have been an underbidder on the Waleska and Josemir - or maybe I was watching it and forgot to bid
                        Small world!
                        I thought I was a cheapskate! Just checked & it finished at £5.50. Happy to send you a d/l if you'd like, it's a great album

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                          I thought I was a cheapskate! Just checked & it finished at £5.50. Happy to send you a d/l if you'd like, it's a great album
                          Total cheapskate!!!! I'm always amazed at some of the things that slip through the net
                          A d/l would be super cool - cheers
                          "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Chuffed to find a few bits in a couple of antiques fairs that I was taking my mum to over the weekend. These two were particularly nice to find inbetween Saxon and Michael Bentine albums in a box under a table.

Trees was of course a long term want - one I thought unlikely to find in the wild (if you don't know it - sounds like this - Fool). Motherhood was also exciting to find as I love their first LP..... maybe need to give it another go, as it is a bit 'prog' on first play, though I love this track - Song Of Dying

Picked up some rather lovely glass too - as well as a beautifully illustrated WW1 book on nursing. I did rather better than my mum in fact!

"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

45 Time.

Usual suspects fairs markets car boots ,no on line purchases. Sorry about any duplication have tried to edit to no avail and it's late and I need a drink. All on You Tube probably. Enjoy the pretty pictures any questions welcome.

Only the second time I've found a Politicians in the wild in ten years, Jackey Beavers has a great beat.

Robert Thomas 'Salvation' in vogue at the moment I believe, this is a legit second issue.

Been hammering 'The Family Affair' fragile falsetto lead latin piano breakdown electric violin flutes great.

[/URL]

Bee Bee Butler was a new one on me lazily paced beauty that weighs in at over five minutes.

After a copy of Runaway People if anyone has a spare?

Rufus wins hands down IMO.

Top left is Jah Rythym 'Government Yard' it's neighbour is Derick Morgan, bottom left 'Woman A Genal' genalmeans dirty or in this case unreliable. Mmmm, still, a nice sparse skinhead popcorn type thing.

Joe Gibbs ' My name is Woody Woodpecker so don't be calling me no Chubby Checker' Big Youth rambling on about someone from Manchester not wearing polyester ( I think) Ranking Magnum is a scorched copy but a great track and dub.
                              Last edited by relkeel; 06-05-2014, 02:17 AM.
                              record licker

Comment

Pitch, you must have been very pleased to find those two. Were they cheap?

I'm not massively keen in that Motherhood LP. Not as good as their first!

Comment

Working...
                                X