June 2014 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nebkins View Post
    Liking the Bill Withers cover on the Scott Walker but thats about it.
    Give it a fair crack of the whip, I found it was a real grower. This is a gonna-roll-up-in-a-big-ball-and-die classic:

Comment

• Car boot and charity scrobblings once more:

Pleased to rescue The Hombres - Let It Out from a clump of Al Bowlly records. Nothing gets to the level of the title track, though.
      Slightly baffled by the top right until I took it out of the sleeve - it's The Guess Who - Artificial Paradise. Seems like there should have been about seven other layers of gimmickry packaging on it, though. Music not doing much for me.
      Seen several copies of Seventh Wave - Things To Come recently and it looked intriguing, finally bit for a quid. It's proggy-synthy early 70s, some interesting moments on there, particularly the abstract instrumental 'Premonition'.
      The Jess Roden album looked interesting because Allen Toussaint is involved with arrangements, backing players looked great, but it's not really doing much for me.

Larry Page - Executive Suite is an elusive one I was pleased to grab, the arrangements and production is nice but it is fairly lightweight easy at the end of the day.
      Billy May - Sorta May. Oops, already had this with a different cover, good big band album though, the version of 'In A Persian Market' is great fun.
      Steel Pulse - True Democracy. We're on the beach, so let's have a lecture. Fine reggae.
      The Schobert and Black is some kind of terrifying schlager comedy affair, nuh uh uh.

John Cale - Fear. This is outstanding skewed pop - listening to 'Barracuda' for the first time was amazing, what an arrangement!
      Pere Ubu - Datapanik In The Year Zero. Again, wonderful demented dark rock, fab.
      Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express. My previous suspiciously modern repress of this had a pressing fault in it which was massively annoying. This is way better... and it's the French pressing with 'Les Mannequins' instead of 'Showroom Dummes', better!
      Kraftwerk - Electric Cafe. OK, now I just need to find a copy of Ralf & Florian for buttons, and I'm done!

Also picked up a few jazz 78s, Tadd Dameron with an all-star cast looks like the best of the bunch:

Comment

• Great finds all! Particularly jealous of the Jack Hargreaves quattro

Couple I picked up yesterday for a £5 each from the charity store. Bit steep you might say but I think I got lucky:

Double Six Of Paris Sing Ray Charles. This is great - swingin' jazz scat and vocalese with heavy arrangements from the early 60s. A real find.

Mexican Press of Los Teen Tops first LP. Full of loud covers of US rock n'roll. Lucille a real highlight and happy adding this to the collection too.

Didn't bite on this, but another wonderful World Record Club early 60s sleeve - someone should do a book:

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• A few this week, Monday market which I only get to go to if I'm off work. So not that often.

[IMG][/IMG]
          Couple of 45s, both of which I find a bit creepy! In a good way of course.
          The Manfred Mann 45 is My Name Is Jack, not one of their best moments, but on the flip is a very strange coupling to the pure pop of the a side. Just flagging it up for the curiosity value really.

Yellow Payges is a UK demo. Once again I'm getting a dark sunshine(is that a genre?) feel from this pop/psych 45.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Gun-Gunsight. Guitars a plenty on this. Strangely (considering the cover) I was reminded of The James Gang in places. A good listen if late 60s psych into prog guitar driven rock is your thing.
          Full Cream was cheap and will get some deck time round here.
          Sounds Nice-Love At First Sight. US Rare Earth promo. Patchy, but the good makes up for the not so good. The best tracks from both 45s are on here. There's a great jazzy track called Summer's End which I wish I could share but can't find a clip of. Plenty of Hammond,nice arrangements from Paul Buckmaster, and a great line up of studio talent behind them. Worth picking up for the good stuff I'd say.
          The 2 45 tracks

Everyone tear down your own little wall
          That keeps you from being a part of it all
          Because you've got to be one with the one and all
          You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• Great stuff Paul - I love the cover of 'Flying' on the Sounds Nice LP.
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Here's a quick round up from me

All little 'uns

2 from the charities and one via the postie - can you guess which one?

The Sudamericanos (my Spanish is rubbish but I'm guessing 'the South Americans'?) has a decent run through a Monkees fave.
              Never seen the Mel EP before - 'Comin' Home Baby' in a new format
              The End - Spanish issue until I find a UK one - great UK psych!

A BIN I nabbed off here and probably never said thank you....thank you - strange psych garage soul xian crossover - I like it a lot

Funky horn rock - I have the excellent 'Mirrors' by them and am aware of the pricey 'Music Man' but stumbled across the cheap 3rd 45 - it's pretty damned good although 'Mirrors' is still their best IMHO

A trade off the good Dr - many thanks sir. Great psych funk!

Daft novelty, almost popcorn, 45

Funky, fuzzy and daft - ace!

After me saying this was tough to turn up clean I find 2 minty spares in one shop - one is gone - holler if you need the other.

Birthday money splurge part 1. Top class UK phased psycher.

Birthday money splurge part 2. Top class mod pop double sider.

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• [QUOTE=LDJB;545049]Here's a quick round up from me

Glad you're enjoying the Wes Henderson mate.
                www.raysmith.bz

www.mixcloud.com/COSMICSLOP/

Comment

• Some corkers there Lee. West Coast Consortium doesn't turn up too often. Good work on The Attack too. Some birthday!!
                  Everyone tear down your own little wall
                  That keeps you from being a part of it all
                  Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                  You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                    The Jess Roden album looked interesting because Allen Toussaint is involved with arrangements, backing players looked great, but it's not really doing much for me.
                    I love this Jess Roden album. Back in my club DJing days (about 6 years after this album was released) the club bar manager bought in a copy of this raving over the On Broadway track.
                    A few years ago I found my old copy of a Roxy Music concert (c'74) program. That exact picture of Jess was in the program, he must have been playing support. I have no real recollection of seeing him - must have been in the bar. My loss.

Good find on the Pere Ubu too.

Comment

• Two songs yesterday were playing on and on for me:
                      The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - A Child's Guide To Good & Evil and West Coast Consortium mentioned. Both are extra pieces of psyche rock! Colour Sergeant Lillywhite is definitely a brilliant loot, Lee!
                      DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

• Originally posted by candiman View Post
                        I love this Jess Roden album. Back in my club DJing days (about 6 years after this album was released) the club bar manager bought in a copy of this raving over the On Broadway track. A few years ago I found my old copy of a Roxy Music concert (c'74) program. That exact picture of Jess was in the program, he must have been playing support. I have no real recollection of seeing him - must have been in the bar. My loss.
                        In that case, I'll make sure to give it a fair crack of the whip - first impressions often lie!

Comment

• Originally posted by eine View Post

Mexican Press of Los Teen Tops first LP. Full of loud covers of US rock n'roll. Lucille a real highlight and happy adding this to the collection too.
                          Can recommend their cover of "king creole":

Comment

• Just a quick catch-up of what I've found on my travels - mainly yesterday when killing time before an eye-test, but also from a quick visit to Retford (my North Notts homeland) and Sheffield's Record Collector. Nothing major found really, but all good clean(ish) fun.

Top two were from PDSA, obviously dead common, but it struck me that I don't actually own 'Let's Dance' so a quid to the cuddly pets remedied that and 'McCartney II' was also a unexplained vacuum in my collection which, when filled, lets me claim 'hipster' status or summat. The bottom two were from Record Collector in Sheffield, which I used to be able to find loads in at really good prices, but they've escalated said prices to online levels now, so I really don't think I'll be making that journey many more times. I was really only up that way as Mrs Ben wanted some Krispy Kremes from Meadowhall. Colosseum was a welcome upgrade from the Bronze issue to a spiral (at a reasonable price) and the Mellow Candle is the Tapestry reissue.

Top two here came in trades from the lovely Mr Per (thankyou again sir) - great wonky disco from Chilly and some funky rock from Syrius. Bottom two were off Retford Market for a couple of quid each (pretty sure Peddlers is a spare now I think of it!).

The Jimmy Smith and Gerry Mulligan LPs here all came from the Sally Army shop in Melton Mowbray where I'd gone on a quick bimble, mainly to take in Ye Olde Porke Pie Shoppe (I'm a veggie, but my brother and family like their pork pies / sausage rolls / ham and egg pie), where I purchased a lovely cheddar, broccoli and almond quiche and a cracking treacle tart (killer pastry). The Soft Machine LP came from Oxfam Books and Music in West Bridgford (just outside Nottingham) and I was well happy to get a really nice US copy for a fiver. It's all about 'As Long As He Lies Perfectly Still', no?

So, yeah, yesterday was eye test day. Test was in Grantham, so I thought I'd make the journey out worthwhile and pop to a couple of towns on the same rail route. The above stuff (with the exception of Rahzel) came from Sleaford, which isn't too far from Grantham, just over the border into Lincolnshire. Great to see Chico Lopez, one of the better members of the VV canon, long time since I've turned one up. The Johnny Howard is very much of the genre we know as 'Thamesian', Spike Milligan was to make up the numbers really and Rahzel was from a chazza in Retford - not my kind of thing these days, though I remember buying it on import many years ago, figured it would be a good freebie to punt around these parts, seeing as the charity gets their quid.

After Sleaford, I trundled down to Spalding, which is proper Lincolnshire, tulip-growing area and all that (you're well into South Holland area really). There's a good Sue Ryder Books and Music store there which has yielded much over the years (good job cos the other chazzas are wheezing their way into a vinyl coma) but they're now being 'helped' by a friendly local dealer (who's stall has presumably been added to at very little cost recently!), so the finds are trickier to come by. Happily, since I last went in a couple of months back, they seemed to have taken delivery of a vaguely 'jazz' collection. Much of it was mid/late-70s fusion, but quite a lot of VG+ friendly material on the fringes. I was able to add to my NYJO game, some nice Nottinghamshire connections with the 'Sherwood Forest Suite' (was he fuck from Doncaster!) and the Camra LP (which has a track named after famed Nottingham pub 'The Trip'), unfortunately the eponymous NYJO LP wasn't among the collection, I don't think the collection dated that far back. Shame. Also in the mix though, was the BYJO LP, which has some really good material on, even if it sounds a bit late, a bit 'Bruton' at times, with an ever-so-slightly too slick sound. Definitely worth another spin.

Also in the same collection were the Tony Hatch (which I figured someone might want for 'Herbin''), the Sounds of Bob Rogers (which I really can't make my mind up about, but will probably end up in the 'Out' pile ultimately), the Flashback Quartet (Lowlands jazz, too adherent to 'Trad' but the bass player hits the effects pedal and goes quite funky at a couple of points) and the April Rain, which is a WMS cocktail jazz LP recorded at a hotel, all members look like they need to expect their door coming off at 5am as 'Operation Yewtree' closes in, but the material is actually pretty good as the lead instrument is vibes (particularly good on 'Scarborough Fair') and the vocalist is, to be fair to him, pretty decent - another that I'll definitely give another chance to.

Final grab from Sue Ryder. Later issue of the excellent Al Jarreau LP of Bill Withers covers, with a brilliant 'Use Me', breaktastic 'Kissing My Love' (better breaks than the original?) etc, funky big band stuff from Denmark (with the compositions from the band easily eclipsing those by Thad himself, some real grooves to be found), Don Ellis is always worth getting and £3.50 was very reasonable - funny cos I'd been thinking about this LP recently as I only very recently saw 'The French Connection' and 'The French Connection II' for the first time (to my shame), surely 'The French Connection II' is one of the great unreleased (on vinyl) soundtracks? And lovely to get 'Shaft In Africa' in a charity shop (no qualms with handing over £7 for that, especially to a charity).

Finally, back in Grantham for the eye test, found some Xian stuff in PDSA and the reggae LP (out, damn genre!) on its tod in Red Cross. The Xian ones are a mixed bag. The Harmonizers (again, wait for that knock from 'Yewtree') is uniformly twee and happy clappy, though the band themselves clearly have that ability to evangelically convert folk as I looked at the sleeve and repeatedly exclaimed 'Jesus H'. The Gospel Ayres is well-known round here, no? Finally, the Creery Sisters was one that just intrigued me and it turns out to be a strange blend of gospel and reggae, with the band seemingly undecided which genre each member would play at any given time. Can see it being desirable to some (and it does appear on Popsike) particularly if it can be woven into a ska/bluebeat set, but not really my kind of thing.

So, once more, the trades and freebies pile perhaps does better than the 'Keep' shelves, but the fun is increasingly in the chase, rather than the capture.

Obviously, I'm not at Glastonbury this year, so no living vicariously through my drug-fuelled exploits I'm afraid. Though if you want to vicariously experience the thrill of having wisdom teeth out, think of me at about 14.30 tomorrow. Utter twaddle. Still, a weekend of soup and ice cream eh?
                            Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

• Yup, that's on it. Great stuff.
                              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Alois Haba - The Mother. Boxset of a quarter-tone opera, at times compelling and brilliant, at times dangerously close to the Portsmouth Sinfonia. Bonus: compliments card from the Czech Embassy (Tel: Belgravia 1942), and typed notes including an English translation of the libretto.

Comment

Working...
                                X