June 2014 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
    get your ears round this swinging upbeat one...

and this much more mellow one...

Swinging:

"collard greens" from this

Mellow:

"to my queen" from this:

You brought that Milt Jackson down to Fickle once I think.

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
      You brought that Milt Jackson down to Fickle once I think.
      sure did, "Bags And Strings" is a good playout track, rest of the album has its moments too.

then there's the Alan Lee records, but maybe we should start a vibes thread, rather than sully this Finds thread any further...

or even better, add to this hoary old pile of ideas.... http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showthread.php/24605

Comment

From a new music shop here in Sofia
        Area and Kannibal Komix are great!
        Last edited by gogo; 04-06-2014, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
          Alan Lee - The Smilor Austraerlian Jazz. One side of covers, including World is a Ghetto, but the original pieces on the B side are where it's at. Nice to pick this up in a trade
          Sorry for the lateness Plainstone, but just wanted to say (a) glad you hooked up with Chris and I hope he accepted out apologies for the Bamboo no-show on Saturday night and (b) that's a great trade. As Mr Mack says, you need to find the album with "Love Song" on - it is absolutely brilliant
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Purchases from London Record fair

Been after the Gonzalez and Mandrill for a while. Newban is new on me and is 1st and 2nd LP repress.

First 2 are a couple of nice early speed garage classics on Ice Cream Records

Repeat is early 90's Black Dog. Timeless is classic drum and bass from Invisible Man. The Invaders looked good on the cover but not even a drum break!

Some nice cheap charity shop Brazillian mint UK og's. Freddie King is new one to me and the only thing worth buying in the Dover charity shops yesterday.

This is what Deal had to offer yesterday. Jacques Loussier's are Uruguayan!!

Desperate times in the charity shops yesterday. Next 2 pics were all i could muster up.

Comment

Originally posted by nebkins View Post

Desperate times in the charity shops yesterday. Next 2 pics were all i could muster up.

I like that Elliott Murphy LP (is yours coloured vinyl?) - very burnt out 70s New York. There's one track I particularly enjoy (just me probably!!) - long one...... digging it out now..... first track - Diamonds By The Yard - a Bruce Springsteenesque building track. There are strings and children singing on another 'epic' track (side 2?) - all a bit preposterous but meets with my approval.
              "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                Thanks mate, should be cheap as chips (Well under a fiver, even online!).

You should also like these two by him -

Thanks sayers. I enjoyed listening to those. I was then online later and stumbled upon the summertime whilst looking for something else. Needless to say I bagged it.
                Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

More through the door

Jefferson Airplane- Ballad of you me and pooneil/Two heads.
                  Had trouble getting a copy of this without surface noise, but now I've succeeded. Two Heads is a dark, spooky tune, one of my favourite Airplane tracks
                  [IMG][/IMG]

A side is a warning of what was to come from Demis! B side is where the fun is. Swirly, phased cymbals, breaks, wah wah keyboards, nonsense lyrics, very good indeed.
                  [IMG][/IMG]

Great 45 post Foundations from Colin Young from 1971. Anyone know who else is playing on this one? All about the b side again.
                  [IMG][/IMG]

Top drawer psychedelic 2 sider from Groundspeed from Harvard University, Cambridege Massachusettes. Released June 1968. In A Dream has a touch of Country Joe & The Fish circa 1st lp, just a touch mind, as they were definitely off on their own trip. Stunning. L-12-East has a more UK sound. More progressive, but still firmly out there. First came across it at The Tanners when Mr Sayers blew me away with it. Only taken me this long to track down an affordable one Craig!!
                  [IMG][/IMG]

Everyone tear down your own little wall
                  That keeps you from being a part of it all
                  Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                  You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Nice finds there Paul mate, I'm jealous of the Colin Young....Glad you finally got a copy of that 'Groundspeed', great track.
                    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

how timely to find this LP today, the soldier front left actually looks a bit like my grandad,
                      but he only killed folk in Burma and North Africa

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
                        Sorry for the lateness Plainstone, but just wanted to say (a) glad you hooked up with Chris and I hope he accepted out apologies for the Bamboo no-show on Saturday night and (b) that's a great trade. As Mr Mack says, you need to find the album with "Love Song" on - it is absolutely brilliant
                        Duly added to the wants list. Will be in touch soon.
                        https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                        http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                        https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                        https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

Find of the year for me yesterday, one I've been hankering after for a long long time popped up for - couldn't believe it!

Emil Richards - Stones. Guessing most here will know it, a very out-there one-off 'space age' thang, combination of unique microtonal percussion instruments with Paul Beaver on moog wildness. Cover is a little worn, but the vinyl is minty - promo copy. Just a fantastic album! I took the picture above with the Kinetic Art book because it has a chapter on the design of new musical instruments, which pictures one of the Erv Wilson instruments probably used on the recording, as well as instruments by other designers. (Great book overall, in fact).

Erv Wilson's 'Transcelest', bottom right, 22-tone to the octave 1967 instrument. Elsewhere on the page, an Electric Ektara, a Pyrex Marimba, and Nipple Gongs .

But that's not all, some fine easy items for a pound a go...

The Leading Figures - Sound And Movement. 1967 stomping instrumental covers of rock n soul numbers with a raft of session fellas in place, including Ray Davies, Alan Parker, Vic Flick... and Jon Lord on organ! Never seen this one before. Excellent 'Sunshine Superman' kicks proceedings off.
                          The 'In'-Keepers - S/T. Ray Davies in another guise, despite the medieval theme it's pretty good, driving ' Matthew And Son' with a bit of harpsichord action, couple of nice slinky easy originals.
                          Mike Post - Railhead Overture. It's got 'The Rockford Files' and some with similar moogy moves elsewhere with big band. Odd track choices - 'Manhattan Spiritual', 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' and 'The Theme From The Vikings'?
                          Berry Music - Production Programme No 2. Excited to find this for a quid, especially with all the references to 'beat' in the track titles, but it seems to be fairly lukewarm parp throughout - oh well!

Vic Lewis - Colours and Academy Award Winners. Really didn't know Vic until I got Boy In The Saffron Robe recently, which is brilliant. So wasn't scared off by these being orchestral easy. Colours is all originals, too pastoral for my taste, except 'Gold' by John Scott which is like the most bonkers piece of melodramatic string-y film scoring. The Academy Award Winner one I grabbed without examining - I saw it had 'Shaft' on and that was enough - but it's mostly duff medley (nice sequencing of Let It Be Me into Shaft...).
                          Sam Rizzetti - Seven Valleys. Sealed LP of Hammered Dulcimer solos, late 80s. He makes the instruments himself, mostly original tracks, pleasant tinkling sounds but the inclusion of Amazing Grace and Greensleeves curls my toes.
                          Vicente Gomez - Tokyo Rhapsody. Flamenco/classical guitarist plays Japanese tunes. Looked interesting but it's all on the sedate side, I was hoping for a bit of pedal to the metal flamenco styling.

Leonard Bernstein - Elliott Carter / Aaron Copland. The Elliott Carter piece is just fantastic complex sound, need to listen more to get to grips with it properly. Was surprised that the Aaron Copland is actually austere 12-tone late-period music, just up my alley, I was expecting to skip over that side.
                          Jozef Sixta - Punctum Contra Punctum.... New to me, Slovak composer, in the 'clocks and clouds' area of Ligeti type composition.
                          The Beta Band - Human Being. Nice 12" promo copy with press release, shame about the sticker damage.
                          The Four Tops - Still Waters Run Deep. Nice psychedelic soul touches on here.

Terje Rypdal - Eos and Descendre. Definitely a good month this, also found these two Terje Rypal records to fill the gaps in my collection (still need his first three, including Bleak House). Had the Eos collaboration with David Darling on CD for many years, it is astonishing. The opener is a mad guitar thrashing thing that you have to be in the mood for, but then you get these amazing soundscapes of cello / electric cello with the processed/eerie guitar breaking in. One of his best records, I reckon.
                          Donald Byrd - The Cat Walk. 80s French pressing, nice.
                          Roland Kirk - Now Please Don't You Cry, Beautiful Edith. I was put off Roland Kirk by what I thought was multi-horn gimmickry - mistake! Much grooving goodness here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post

Erv Wilson's 'Transcelest', bottom right, 22-tone to the octave 1967 instrument. Elsewhere on the page, an Electric Ektara, a Pyrex Marimba, and Nipple Gongs .
                            you could start up an interesting trio with those 3 instruments...

Comment

This book looks amazing. Just googled as it would make a perfect present for my other half - seems to go for serious dough though
                              www.raysmith.bz

www.mixcloud.com/COSMICSLOP/

Comment

Originally posted by DRSMITH View Post
                                This book looks amazing. Just googled as it would make a perfect present for my other half - seems to go for serious dough though
                                Was around a tenner off Amazon last year - hold out for saner sellers!

Comment

Working...
                                X