X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent additions...

LP's

Jimmy Webb - Music and words (Reprise)
    As discussed early in the thread, one stand out track, the rest is listenable though.

Esther Phillips - From a whisper to scream (Kudu)
    Couldn't leave a nice clean (cheap) UK spare of this LP, well known, still a great track though! -

Hedgehog Pie - The green lady (Rubber)
    Local folk LP with a couple of nice tracks. Now to find their debut.

Magic - S/T (Bullseye)
    Local private press...Always pick stuff up on this label, yet to find a keeper! Bought this on the strength of their cover of 'Good Vibrations', not a bad version, not too sure I'll be keeping it though!

Roy Orbison - Southbound Jericho parkway (London)
    His epic 'psych' track (Thanks for the tip off James mate) -

"Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• A rare visit to Spitalfields Record Market involved lots of digging through £1 45s..... Think I've come back with 50+!

Anyway the best of the bunch:

Peter Haller - Values (B-side to Peace) on Sonet
      Ronnie Hazlehurst - Music for Montreal / Go For Gold on BBC
      The Bystanders - 98.6 on Piccadilly
      Les Reed Orchestra - Slaughter On Tenth Street / The Hawk on Bell
      Alan Tew Orchestra - The Sweeney / The Prowler on Epic
      Godiego - Monkey Magic on BBC
      Roger Webb - Hammer House Of Horror Theme on Chips
      and last but not least was a bit surprised to pick this up
      Ossi Malinen Octet - Jazz Made In Finland vol 1 EP - this is gorgeous and amazing it was released back in 1959.

not bad for £8!

Also quite a few £3 -£10 LPs

including Mandingo III, Brian Hodgson Moog thing (The Unexploded Myth), private press UK jazz (Terry Steward - anybody know this?) and the Conan The Barbarian soundtrack!

It was rather hot in the greenhouse that was Spitalfield market and everyone was suffering somewhat, but I did see Mang and Medlar along the way.....
      "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

• Nice to see you Mr Pitch, and Mang too, and glad that you found a few things! Was pretty hot for sure.
        Have a great day tomorrow

Oh and I found at the fair three albums all very different from each other:

Mandingo - Sacrifice (well known to plussers, but until now I didn't have)

Les Baxter - Cry Of The Banshee / Edgar Allan Poe Suite

Mike Heron - Smiling Men With Bad Reputations
        Last edited by medlar; 19-07-2014, 11:30 AM.
        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• July roundup - it has been jazz month for me. From various places:

Harold Land - Choma (Burn)
          Free flowing groovy jazz with spirituality and funkiness. Features Bobby Hutcherson on vibes. Very good.

John Klemmer - Magic and Movement
          I quite like these early John Klemmer records (this one is live from 1972 and 1973) - spaced out, sometimes with use of electronic effects, at times almost psychedelic sound that can lean towards free, spiritual and/or funky jazz. Donät like the sleeve at all though.

The Piano Choir - Handscapes 2
          A Strata-East from a charity for £1 - too bad it does little for me as several pianists get together to perform as a choir. I think in concept it could have been really cool if it had been done in a more avantgarde minimalism style or something but as it is it's just not a record for me.

Gary Bartz NTU Troop - Follow the Medicine Man
          Black awareness jazz with both avantgarde/freejazz and funky/soulful bits, some instrumentals and some vocal songs. Very good.

Pharoah Sanders - Jewels of Thought
          Stellar spiritual and deep sax skronking as always with Pharoah. I now only lack 2 or 3 albums (of which one is quite pricey) before owning all records released in his own name between 1966-1977 which is a goal I'm trying to achieve even though I pursue it a bit halfheartedly.

Göteborgs Musikkvartett - S/T
          Folkmusic from around the world gets jazz treatment, focus on Balkan, Hungary, Mideast but also Italy, Germany, Norway. There's less than usual left of the original tunes here though as this is quite a strong but structured freejazz reworking. It will not be everyones cup of tea but I really enjoy it.
          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• That Gary Bartz lp is cracking. Nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by eine View Post

https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
              http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
              https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
              https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
                I now only lack 2 or 3 albums (of which one is quite pricey) before owning all records released in his own name between 1966-1977 which is a goal I'm trying to achieve even though I pursue it a bit halfheartedly.
                Which ones? Also, don't neglect some of the LPs on Theresa. Some good ones in there.
                https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

• Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
                  Which ones? Also, don't neglect some of the LPs on Theresa. Some good ones in there.
                  Village Of The Pharoahs, Elevation and Pharoah (last is the one on India Navigation which is the pricey one).

Regarding later Pharoah - it's not impossible I'll look into these in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by medlar View Post
                    Nice to see you Mr Pitch, and Mang too, and glad that you found a few things! Was pretty hot for sure.
                    Have a great day tomorrow
                    Guys! I was up there too in the greenhouse conditions. Only for a couple of hours in the afternoon though. Spent all my time rooting through Piers' treasure trove, will post up later.
                    Everyone tear down your own little wall
                    That keeps you from being a part of it all
                    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• Originally posted by babycart View Post
                      Tip: don´t play that Welton Irie lp if the vicar is around for tea. .
                      Your not wrong , luckily the overt sexual references and innuendoes went unnoticed by the other couples in the room!

maybe that one's not going to be a keeper

Comment

• It's the Lambeth Country Show today and there are various stalls selling all sorts, from one I found a few records:

Edmundo Ros - Sing Dance With Edmundo Ros (Decca)

Edmundo Ros - Sounds Of The South (Decca)

a couple more Edmundo's for the collection

Della Reese - Della Della Cha Cha Cha (RCA)

This is awesome!

Picked up The Delagators lp off the band as they were playing the smaller stage, they were fantastic!

http://www.discogs.com/Delegators-Al...elease/5868334

And now I'm off out again to check Jocelyn Brown on the main stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NAgxNtbzlw

Classic
                        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• Visited two shops today and made one purchase in each:

Manfred Mann Chapter Three - Volume Two
                          Excellent prog/jazzrock. Had to pay some money of course but still a decent price for a decent copy.

Hermann Gehlen B/W Giselher Klebe - Jazzmesse 1966 / 12-Ton-Messe 1966
                          Ah... another mass record. First side is a jazz-mass and very good if you like that sort of thing - could possibly be both the grooviest and most avantgarde the Kurt Edlehagen orchestra was involved in but I'm not an Edlehagen expert. Second side is choir plus organ and plays more like a xian avantgarde modern classical composition but is quite nice as well if you're in the mood for that sort of thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                            Guys! I was up there too in the greenhouse conditions. Only for a couple of hours in the afternoon though. Spent all my time rooting through Piers' treasure trove, will post up later.
                            Makes me realise that us plussers need a badger badge to say hello

Comment

• Originally posted by medlar View Post
                              Makes me realise that us plussers need a badger badge to say hello

Comment

• From Spitalfields on Friday,(my first visit, but I think I'll be back), and one lp from ebay.

Chuffed to pick this up. Scruffy, but cleaned up to play pretty well.
                                [IMG][/IMG]
                                [IMG][/IMG]

I didn't know this came out in the US. Had a bit of a search online, and all I could find were promo copies similar to mine, and Advance release copies with the swirly writing in the red windows on the label. Anyone seen an actual stock copy? Did it get any further than these two issues in the US? There must be a story behind it, as it's a highwater mark in psych 45s.Anyone?

[IMG][/IMG]
                                Long lp track given the pt1 pt2 treatment. Pt 1 is a good late 60s shuffling boogie job with handclaps, organ break, and Country Joe style vocals. On the Youtube clip this goes up to 3.35. The b side, and the rest of the clip isn't so good as they run out of ideas, and it all gets a bit silly. Texas band from '69

2nd issue of this Seeds classic from '67 with a better b side than the og.
                                [IMG][/IMG]

Classy '65 Hammond workout from Jimmy McGriff
                                [IMG][/IMG]

First issue of this Link Wray classic. '61 release. Swan picked it up in '63
                                [IMG][/IMG]

Bit of history a few on here might be interested in associated with this one
                                [IMG][/IMG]

The Lenny in question is lenny Drake, arranger of Chris Carpenters strange "This World....." 45 picked up the Le Beat Bespoke comps. Lenny And The Thundertones are the band on that 45 too.
                                This 45 is a '61 surfy guitar instro....I've got a soft spot for that stuff!

Hiding in the background (I know you're ahead of me) is this corker
                                [IMG][/IMG]
                                Top copy, threatening to blow my speakers out since I got it.

Comment

Working...
                                X