No announcement yet.

July finds 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right. Sorry I've not been around much this past 3-4 weeks but work has kept me more than occupied. Don't worry, I've kept checkin' in to see how you lot are doing with your finds and I have been heard ooooof'ing it in a number of hotel lobbies and airport departure lounges when I use their wi-fi to check up on some of this months amazing finds.

One of last stops was a couple of days in Philadelphia and I managed to sneak out of work early to catch up with the usual suspects for beer and records. Finds below:-

A couple of twelves to start. The Black Riot is a classic Todd Terry production from '87-'88 and this is the original US release. Features a stripped down dub mix that I do not think was made available on the UK Champion issue. Original is a local hip hop twelve out of New Jersey that never made it big. File under "decent random rap".

Any Patrick Adams-produced twelve on Queen Constance is going to get my attention and knowing that some are now really pricey, I was more than happy to get this one for cheap. Needs a clean and a fresh paper sleeve, but we'll sort that out later. A huge stroke of luck and the old "always check the new arrivals sections" trick yielded the Kashmere Stage Band - yes, its an original. No stand-out tracks on this, it's just a breezy soulful jazzy affair from start to finish. Well, apart from their rendition of "The Old Rugged Cross" that closes the album. No need for that.

Right, onto the 45's...

A few speculative punts here. The Max Infinity is on the same label as the Angela Jefferson tune (you all remember "I Can Feel Myself Slipping Away, right..?). Monty Douglas & The Dominators was a real double-take as that is not your first choice of Beatles cover now, is it...? It's a really strange version too - drum break, lilting broken vocals and West Indian garage band production. Need to research this.

J.J. Malone is a new one on me; solid funky soul. I have a few on that Galaxy label. Frenchy & His Allstars give us some Fania-esque latin soul and I did rather like the personalised letter that I found inside the sleeve. Address to a former owner of the record from who I can only assume was the band's manager or promoter.

Last three to finish - Dynamic Concepts is seriously funky soul from Philadelphia and a bugger to show up. At last! Anything on the Phil-L.A-of Soul label is worth needle dropping. Finally, any band called Donald Jenkins & The Delighters is going on the play pile. Chicago soul, needs a few more listens...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

• Dropped by the local market on Friday - one library album and eight decent reggae 45's...

There is one really good track on this De Wolfe by the Barry Stoller Band - "Disco King"

Here are the JA 45's ... in the process of cleaning and researching them this evening. Some seriously beautiful music...

Oh, nearly forgot - this arrived in the post whilst I was away. Great Island funk tune I've been after for ages.

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

• Just three 50p bits from the booter this morning... The Bee Gees 1st is a beautiful copy and Wuggsy has already baggsied it. Messengers was sampled by DJ Shadow on Product Placement (spare) and the Dave Collins 45 on Rhino sounds like every other Dave Collins 45 you've heard on Trojan; Monkey Spanner, Shocks A Mighty etc etc...

Comment

• Great finds Sie! Some real corkers in there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post

That´s my funeral record right there.
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post

A couple of corkers there Sie.

Comment

• My idea of slowing down, it seems ..been on holiday for 2 weeks for now..

The stuff I found in Estonia without trying too hard last week while on a vacation with the family & friends, including some familiar titles - some of these records were found at a freebie box in the corner of a 2ndhand store

Jazz Jamboree 1971 vol 2 - great stuff by Günther Fischer Quintet & Frick Guin & Les Swingers
                Moscow Youth Jazz Festival 1968 - decent straight jazz comp on Melodiya
                Pop Masina - Kiselina - perhaps the best of the bunch, Serbian heavy psych from 1973
                Imants Kalnins - 4. Symphony - a heavy concept album by a Latvian composer reportedly inspired by Led Z. "Kashmir" & Tubular Bells at the time - I
                love it, and the fact it was free!
                Dievinslavu Ansamblis ABC - I've had this before, but have absolutely no recollections of it - yet to be re-listened..
                Stan Borys - wasn't familar with this before but it sounds like a decent Polish soul lp on a quick listen (another freebie)
                Jazz - Jazz-Gedichte von Jens Gerlache w/ Friedhelm Schönfeld Sextet (Amiga 1968) - a concept album paying tribute to the jazz greats of the past in the form of poetry & music, quite entertaining actually with some nice jazz toons as well
                Raimond Pauls - S/T - a one-tracker for sure, but what a track it is!
                Zodiac - Joguak (the 2nd album by the Latvian electronic outfit)
                Kunicka - a Polish female singer, not listened to this yet
                2X Buratino Lood ep - Estonian children's tales & music with some groovy & psychy bits on it (think it was Martin who brought it to my attention years ago)
                Tsvety ep in a generic sleeve - another one-tracker on Melodiya

Most of these were purchased again from a friend's collection.. Melody Nelson was supposed to be bought for a cover upgrade only but turned out it was a different pressing (an original) than the copy I already had..d'oh! Africadelic`s The Name No.2 - French funky library lp, not usually buying these but this sounded fun and the price wasn't bad so why not. Silver Apples is an upgrade copy with a poster... Et Cetera is a brilliant kraut album by Dauner & co, Shepp, Freddy King & Can are all clean originals; also got a good price on 'Metropolis' so couldn't resist as the final track on it is a big fave.

Nils Lindberg is a solid Swedish jazz from 1962, original pressing (pressed in Norway actually) and the one below it is a really nice Bulgarian jazz album from 1969 by Milcho Leview et al. The rest were cheap buys from a friend who was clearing out his basement locker..nice straight jazz titles, some originals, some Japanese pressings, all in pristine condition

More of the same.

Cheap (mostly soul) unplayed 45s from a local recycling center, most notable being "Big Feet" by the Tikis & "Almost" by Jimmy Delphis..

Last but no least...a clean keeper copy of this Swedish psych grail - replaced my old vg copy I sold a while back for a good money..
                The aural history of the sex life of a cosmic corn popper

Comment

• Slowing down? Then you pull out the Baby Grandmothers 45! Congratulations and a walloping great OOOOOF! For that alone. Another interesting looking haul. Monster Movie never sounded better than the og IMO, seminal lp.
                  Everyone tear down your own little wall
                  That keeps you from being a part of it all
                  Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                  You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• Another bulk round-up.

First two in this pic were a birthday present from Dr & Miss Deep Down Heavy so a big thanks guys.

Julie Driscoll & Brian Auger - London 1964-1967 (Charly Records). Only have a reissue of Streetnoise in the racks so nice to hear some of their other output. Had multiple plays already.
                    July - S/T (Parlophone). Swirly coloured reissue and very enjoyable it is too.
                    The Growing Concern - S/T (Mainstream). Another reissue and harmonic popsike at its best.
                    The Savage Rose - In The Plain (Polydor).
                    The Greatest Show On Earth - The Going's Easy (Harvest). Pretty decent jazz prog stuff which in parts sounds like Caravan meets Demon Fuzz.

Arthur Gee - S/T (Tumbleweed Records). Goes a bit too close to country on the A-side but the flipside is good and has a scorcher called Waterweight with the required organ shreds, buzzy flute, and psych touches.

Teamed up with the Deep Down Heavies for a nice Sunday morning carboot and came away with the next 12 records for 50p a pop so a few punts were taken.

Ray Mcvay's Big Soul Sound - We Got Soul (Fontana). Seen this listed here a fair few times and having never come across it before had to be worth a go. Not really feeling it on first listen but will give it another go before moving it on.
                    Rupert And The Firebird - S/T (MFP). First time I've seen one of these in the wild too.
                    The Graham Walker Sound - Hair (Saga Eros). I know some of the Hair soundtracks can be a bit hit and miss but seeing Alan Hawkshaw mentioned on the back of this one it was definitely worth a punt. It's a belter with some great tracks and Hawkshaw going wild with the hammond.
                    California Sunshine - Comp double lp (ABC Records).
                    The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Further Out (CBS). Liked the Miro on the cover and Bluette is a lovely track.
                    Lambert, Hendricks & Bavan - Recorded 'Live' At Basin Street East (RCA Victor). What a combo, couldn't resist this. Has a pretty good scat track on side one and this little belter on the flip with a storming sax solo.

Richard Harris - The Yard Went On Forever (Dunhill). Another punt as Jimmy Webb is listed as writer and arranger of all tracks. Undecided.
                    Clodagh Rodgers - S/T (RCA). Quite liking Get Back on here and a pretty good cover of Under The Boardwalk.
                    Nina & Frederik - Dawn (EMI). Had a feeling there's some liking for one of the Nina & Frederik albums on here but don't think this is the one.
                    Nina - Nina Alone (Pye). Not sure I should have been picking this up either.
                    Gerry & The Pacemakers - You'll never walk alone (MFP). Bought purely for the title track for me and my boy to blast out next season.
                    Tony Joe White - The Train I'm On (Warner). Doesn't reach the heights of his earlier stuff but when he's on it he's on it! Just got to get Tony Joe White and Home Made Ice Cream now and I'm sorted for TJ albums.

Baden Powell - Le Genie de Baden Powell (Festival). Picked up Le Coeur cheap and the same day Mr Pencilface lists this as a freebie so duly obliged and many thanks.
                    Baden Powell - Le Coeur de Baden Powell (Festival).
                    Georgie Fame - Fame At Last (Columbia).
                    Roy Ayer's Ubiquity - He's Coming (Polydor). Gatefold reissue.
                    Dudley Moore - The World Of Dudley Moore (Decca). 70s reissue and terrible repackaging of The Other Side Of Dudley Moore from 1965. However the pressing sounds amazing and it's a really nice jazz album with the self-penned tracks being particularly good. Stand out for me though is the weighty Sooz Blooz where he really hammers those keys.

Gabor Szabo - Jazz Raga (EMI). Very pleased to get an extremely clean copy of this for not a lot of money. Multiple plays have been had.

Small Faces - S/T (Decca). Very clean mono copy found for a quid at the back of a box of crud! Best find in the wild in ages for me. This record is loud and still sounds amazing 48 years after its introduction.
                    Peddlers - Three For All (Philips). Still lacking London Suite.
                    The Heads Of The Family - Play & Sing (Alshire). Has this groover on it.

Sagram - Pop Explosion Sitar Style (Windmill).
                    Charles Bevel - Meet "Mississippi" Charles Bevel (A&M). Been on the radar for a while after hearing You've Got The Power and overall it doesn't disappoint.
                    Tom Scott - Rural Still Life (Impulse). Decent jazz album with a touch of skronky.

Comment

• Originally posted by Melter View Post
                      Gabor Szabo - Jazz Raga (EMI). Very pleased to get an extremely clean copy of this for not a lot of money. Multiple plays have been had.
                      I´ve been hammering this to death again recently, too. The little woozy trill and morse code bit he does toward the end of Raga Doll is one of my favourite music moments.
                      I found this great footage of the maestro and Kati Kovacs last night while feeding my Gabor habit.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• nice haul, Melter.
                        Originally posted by Melter View Post
                        Tom Scott - Rural Still Life (Impulse). Decent jazz album with a touch of skronky.
                        decent?

DECENT?

DECENT?

these two alone should help you9 reconsider.

Comment

• Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                          nice haul, Melter.

decent?

DECENT?

DECENT?

these two alone should help you9 reconsider.

Picked mine up for a tenner very recently and have been playing the hell out of it.
                          Those two tracks are head and shoulders, mind.
                          To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

• That Tom Scot album is boss.

Don't forget this track... I agree not the strongest track on the album - but that is not the point.

The point is this:-

Comment

• That's an earlier LP, that, though, isn't it.
                              To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

• Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                                That's an earlier LP, that, though, isn't it.
                                Christ Almighty, so it is. What a fuckwit.

Comment

Working...
                                X