July finds 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bootiful boot diggings from last weekend:

Scooped a few VdGG - 1st press UK Pawn Hearts, 1st press US H To He, Godbluff. Slightly scrappy looking but OK once the mildew was wiped off. Always found VdGG intriguing but hard to love, quite enjoying H To He which I'd never heard before. Plus The Johnny Otis Show, rather mangled cover but the disc is a strong VG, and the music is perched on a lovely doo-wop / rock n roll cusp.

Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets. Eno in prankster genius mode, rather duffed up sleeve but I will upgrade next opportunity.
    The Crown Heights Affair - Dreaming A Dream. The first side is great, with Foxy especially pulling off Barry White / blaxploitation sound track moves with aplomb. It gets all weedy and wimpy on Side 2, but never mind.
    Leslie Gore - Girl Talk. All Leslie Gore is core collection. That is all.
    Dimitri Tiomkin - The Fall Of The Roman Empire. Loved this film - Roman epics are ace - haven't seen for many years. Soundtrack is orchestral epic, not really a standalone listen.

The World Of Johnny Howard. Got rid of this Vulture fodder a coupe of house moves ago thinking it would be easy to get a new copy - took a few years!
    Bert Kaempfert - Blue Midnight. Upgrade from my ripped spine copy. Typically Kaempferty music which I like, and I just love the cover on this one.
    Frankie Valli - Valli.
    Peter Ustinov - A Devastating Look At Sports Car Racing. Slightly scared of this, haven't listened, I think Ustinov does all the sound effects?

A nice selection of indie collection gaps here. Joy Division - Closer, Ride - Nowhere, The La's - S/T, The Cranes - Inescapable. Very nice to get hold of some 'scrag end of vinyl' 1990s releases. Wasn't familiar with The Cranes before, but heavy grindy wall-of-guitar-noise coupled with indecipherable little girl in echo chamber lyrics = win. While I was looking through the box, the lady selling them was boasting about how livid her oversleeping husband would be that she was selling them for a quid a time, but she didn't care, she wanted to get shot. So I obliged. Bloke in front of me had already sequestered a bunch but left these.

And a fair whack of singles, highlights for me:

Fleetwood Mac - The Green Manalishi. Plodding sinister Mac fave.

PFM - Celebration. Italian prog job.

The Edgar Broughton Band - Evil. Anvil heavy loony tunes.

Wilson Pickett - Born To Be Wild. Heavy bloomin' metal thunder - great!

Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight. Used to have a pretty extensive RT collection, I think I've pared it down to this. And possibly that French, Frith, Kaiser, Thompson record with 'The Killing Jar' on it, which is an amazing track.
    Last edited by Sonovox; 30-07-2014, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonovox View Post

Peter Ustinov - A Devastating Look At Sports Car Racing. Slightly scared of this, haven't listened, I think Ustinov does all the sound effects?
      What a great cover! - and Ustinov on a Jazz label?!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonovox View Post

A nice selection of indie collection gaps here. Joy Division - Closer, Ride - Nowhere, The La's - S/T, The Cranes - Inescapable. Very nice to get hold of some 'scrag end of vinyl' 1990s releases. Wasn't familiar with The Cranes before, but heavy grindy wall-of-guitar-noise coupled with indecipherable little girl in echo chamber lyrics = win. While I was looking through the box, the lady selling them was boasting about how livid her oversleeping husband would be that she was selling them for a quid a time, but she didn't care, she wanted to get shot. So I obliged. Bloke in front of me had already sequestered a bunch but left these.
        Imagine he wasn't happy when he woke up. That La's lp on vinyl is a nice score.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
          Some odds and ends to finish...

That Etta James tune is boss..! I'm gonna guess and state that I'm the last person on VG+ to know about this records yeah..? Thought so...

I comped a track off Tyger a few years back - mad record .... there is VG+ friendly groover in there mate .... nice finds
          Rockwell
          Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• Spare Ustinov here should anybody need it !!
            Heard it -enjoyed it .... it can leave now ....
            Rockwell
            Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• Sonovox, definitely worth persevering with Pawn Hearts, esp A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers. A grower.
              Nice finds by the way
              Everyone tear down your own little wall
              That keeps you from being a part of it all
              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• Found this today in a charity shop. Very little online about it at all. Canadian early 70s and rather nice. If pushed I'd describe it as mellow psych prog with country touches and bits of musique concrete and poetry! Anyone know anything about it?

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Ustinov definitely looks tempting

Comment

• Originally posted by RobLilley View Post
                    Ustinov definitely looks tempting
                    PM if you want it -

Lee - no idea mate - looks interesting
                    Rockwell
                    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                      Sonovox, definitely worth persevering with Pawn Hearts, esp A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers. A grower.
                      Nice finds by the way
                      I have had a copy a fair few years along with Aerosol Grey Machine, do pull it out and give it another go every few months . There's deffo something intriguing about it, but it's never quite clicked with me. This pressing seems a lot nicer sounding though, might help!

Comment

• Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                        Found this today in a charity shop. Very little online about it at all. Canadian early 70s and rather nice. If pushed I'd describe it as mellow psych prog with country touches and bits of musique concrete and poetry! Anyone know anything about it?

]

Not really but sounds pretty interesting! I'd be pleased to find something like that in a charity!
                        "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                        and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                          Found this today in a charity shop. Very little online about it at all. Canadian early 70s and rather nice. If pushed I'd describe it as mellow psych prog with country touches and bits of musique concrete and poetry! Anyone know anything about it?

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...place_to_live/

Comment

• Thanks Paul - most interesting. Sound of Feeling eh?
                            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• 3 spares and one not

Comment

• Couple of 45s to finish July off.
                                [IMG][/IMG]
                                Was going to get one of the Ronnie Bird eps for this track, then discovered it much cheaper on a Canadian 45. The State Of Micky And Tommy chaps doing their thing on the arrangement. Nice spiralling fuzz solo, killer 45 in my book

[IMG][/IMG]
                                Paired up with an "interesting" version of the Thunderclap Newman hit, is this corker from '68 New York band. Won't set your dancefloor on fire, but a great tune with some nice backwards guitar at the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X