July finds 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some great stuff for quidsies at this week's booter:

Lotti Golden - Motor-Cycle. This is great, Bob Crewe produced elaborate arrangements of a song cycle (motor-cycle) about life, love, death, excessive partying and existential wotsit in New York circa late 60s. Musically top notch, and emotionally fraught. There were moments where my hair stood up on end - 'Gonna Fay's', where the partying is only briefly interrupted by the death of Fay is brutal. Just great.
    Mongo Santamaria - Soul Bag. Up, Up And Away might be a step too far, but a slew of ace cover versions otherwise.
    Ken Jones - Big Beat Boogie. Only my 2nd Ken Jones album in 20 years of dredging, gotta say it is as good as the other one I have (which is versions of early Galt MacDermot tunes). This is all boogie woogie piano, some classic tunes (Meade Lux Lewis, Pine Top Smith, etc.), and some originals, piano plus biggish band arrangements that really work well.
    Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Somewhere In Afrika. Looks kind of interesting this, I got a bit put off by the cover of "Eyes Of Nostradamus" so will have to revisit.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity. Never really got into this before, although I like Birds Of Fire, time to give it another go.
    Di Meola / McLaughlin / De Lucia - Friday Night In San Francisco. I really wanted a copy of this when I was about 16, never picked it up somehow. Listening to it now - it's pretty damn good! Triple threat guitar wibbling, but it all seems to fall together perfectly without being too self-indulgent. Except for the Al Di Meola piece on Side 2.
    Deep Purple albums, mebbe worth a shot. Guess my eye skips over them normally, can't recall having seen the bottom left one before, or really noticed how nasty looking that Burn cover is.

Couple of Salsoul 12" from the boot as well:

Apparently Gaz - Sing Sing is quite well known, but the B side disco cover of 'The Good The Bad And The Ugly' is a vulture's delight. Also nice to have Candido - Dancin' And Prancin'.

On another front, this EP is nicely off the wall / off the leash:

Irvin's 89 Key Marenghi Fair Organ - Plays Lennon and McCartney. I quote the liner notes: "This is a fine record for collectors, be they Organ lovers or beat-music fans And it will help each convert the other to their particular point of view. The grandeur of the past unites with the vitality of the present and all's right with the world." Semi-tuned and anticipating Mr. Kite, I like it, particularly the little organ discord at the start of 'A Hard Day's Night'.

I went shopping on the internet for some avant-gardey things:

The Iannis Xenakis albums really look the piece. I'm not sure I'm getting the full effect of some of this, as the instructions for some pieces are for the orchestra to intermingle with the audience, and then kind of pass the sounds around the performance space. Maybe needs a decent 7.1 speaker system and encoding to bring that to life.
    Kazimierz Serocki - Pianophonie. This is just awesome, late 70s epic composition featuring electronically treated piano. Brilliant and startling throughout, I think. I've helpfully embedded a video of the whole bloomin' thing below.
    Arnold Schoenberg - Piano Pieces. Oxfam, £2, can't be bad.

And I also found some mostly jazzy things:

The Michael Moss / Four Rivers - Cross Currents is freeish jazzish late 70s stuff, first track 'Coal Sack' sticks soprano sax and electronic blurps together to good effect. Side 2 is one long suite, 'Ain Soph', and again I think the liner notes prove instructive: "Moss juxtaposes Indian and South American rhythms with a British march. The timeless and haunting sound of Tibetian lamas is set against futuristic space sounds you might hear in a Stanley Kubrick movie not yet conceived. Moss plays a flute only slightly more nervous the carefree Peter before the coming of the wolf, and on top of this, this most dissonant bass clarinet in the history of the world, a single ruined wheezing voice dating from some time after the death of all melodies and notes." If you're not sold now, you never will be.
    And with Gerald Wilson - The Golden Sword I have all the classic bullfighting themed jazz I ever need. I think.

Fin.

Comment

• Originally posted by reza View Post
      thanks, some of them will be for the outbox, yet to listen to all of them
      If you haven't already - have a listen to African Dub Chapter 3 - best dub Lp ever.

The Phase 1 dubwise contains a few corkers too.

Comment

thanks, some of them will be for the outbox, yet to listen to all of them
        Tip: don´t play that Welton Irie lp if the vicar is around for tea. .
        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Centre pic centre 12 is Matumbi - Pretender / Point of View , to the right of it is Dennis Brown Money in my Pocket and the Greensleeves 12 below them is Dr Alimantado Still Alive / Born for a Purpose GRED 10

Bottom pic , centre row L to R is Capital Letters UK Skanking / Run Run Run GRED 16 then Junior Delgado The Raiders / Warrior BRD 005 and then Johnny Osbourne & Lee Vancliff Cinderalla / Bad Girl Now Tamlins JBD 028 and finally the "disco 45" on the bottom is a cover of the classic Ain't no Stopping us Now by Cygnus with an alt version on the B side on Freedom Sounds

and suprisingly they're all minty !
          Cheers! Dr Alimantado and Junior Delgado are top, nice one
          some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
            On another front, this EP is nicely off the wall / off the leash:

Irvin's 89 Key Marenghi Fair Organ - Plays Lennon and McCartney. I quote the liner notes: "This is a fine record for collectors, be they Organ lovers or beat-music fans And it will help each convert the other to their particular point of view. The grandeur of the past unites with the vitality of the present and all's right with the world." Semi-tuned and anticipating Mr. Kite, I like it, particularly the little organ discord at the start of 'A Hard Day's Night'.
            Great finds Sonovox as per usual. I've been looking out for this EP for ages - nice one! I am slowly collecting danceable Fair Organ tracks for an eopiuc mix. So far I have one - a cover of Prado's Patricia - and to be honest I've long given up as there's so only so many dirges a young man can take.

Here are some recent finds I was pleased with. More to come.

Zounds! What Sounds! - Dean Elliott & His Big Band - FINALLY got my copy of this at decent price. Cover knackered but record is clean. Absolutely great gonzo big band weirdness:

John Schroeder ‎– Witchi Tai To - Nuther one I've been after. Bit dissapointed on first listen, not as consistent as I'd hoped for.

Eddy Arnold - Cattle Call - Very pleased to get a UK issue in top condition. All the songs are great, but it's the title track that haunts as a kind of country & western exotica -

And carrying on the exotica tip, pleased to get this US issue in great condition. One of Les' earliest and best.

Klauss Johann Globe or something, I don't know what this modern record is or why I've got it, but it's very snazzy.

High-Tech - The Digital Sound Of Claude Larson - if you like synth sounds this is bitching!

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Originally posted by eine View Post
              Great finds Sonovox as per usual. I've been looking out for this EP for ages - nice one! I am slowly collecting danceable Fair Organ tracks for an eopiuc mix. So far I have one - a cover of Prado's Patricia - and to be honest I've long given up as there's so only so many dirges a young man can take.
              http://www.discogs.com/Mortier-Dance...elease/5082242 takes a crack at some top pop tunes, the version of Release Me is outstanding. Never seen a copy of Vol 2, mind you. EDIT: LOL just saw your name on the contributors list.

Well jealous of Zounds What Sounds, nicely done sir!

Comment

• A few more to bang up. Had a couple of results in Cambridge of all places today. Found a vinyl oasis on the market of this record desertland. Some from there, some from the local market one on-liner (if anyone cares).

[IMG][/IMG]
                Aphrodites Child is well known, and pretty good, could have done without the couple of ballady tunes, having lived through the Demis in a dress years.

Doomsday Machine were a Canadian band, coming on all Anglo pop sikey.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Good Feelins from 67. Good bouncy garagey pop.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsL2hjuqIdI

The Rhubarb Triangle is a limited 300 copy 45, been out a while, so if you're a fan of phased swirly, woofy groovers, I'd move a bit sharpish
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HritTiwNck

[IMG][/IMG]
                Love Affair, great b side
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKnwm-uqd7c
                P&B Ryan jump into the sitarry psych fest of 68 with both feet, and come up with a pop sike gem.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW6X8vSSfog
                The Shoes, What In THe World Is LOve, Dutch band, excellent 45 from 67
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMp6-elgXj4
                49th Parallel, another Canadian band giving it the English sound again, from 69,
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avlx2ohxN2E
                Hank Marvin 45 is a bit beat up, but it was 50p. Up for grabs, plays ok, just a bit crackly.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf2Yso5KqJs
                The Nite People, Morning Sun, Hammond, loud bass, great drums, swirly bits, understated guitars...solid 45

Shirley Ellis, straight out of the top drawer all day long. No pints dancer
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO7IA-QhuGU
                Howlin Wolf Evil/Tail Dragger. Excellent two sider
                Everyone tear down your own little wall
                That keeps you from being a part of it all
                Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• Originally posted by tjh392 View Post
                  Went to Cuba for a couple of weeks and ended up finding 2 copies of Grupo Los Yoyi and some other Cuban LP's. Found the Los Yoyi LP's after a few taxi journeys where I thought I might be mugged (as I'd just jumped into a taxi with 2 complete strangers with the promise of records) I ended up in a house searching through a few collections before I found them. Made the mistake of not taking enough money with me so I had to pass on a mint copy of Ricardo Eddy Martinez.

Good work fella! Los Yoyi and Ricardo Eddy Martinez were both on my mental wants list when I went to Cuba, but I never got a sniff of either. Do you mind my asking how much they were?

What else did you pick up?
                  it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                  take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
                    Good work fella! Los Yoyi and Ricardo Eddy Martinez were both on my mental wants list when I went to Cuba, but I never got a sniff of either. Do you mind my asking how much they were?

What else did you pick up?
                    yeah great story lets hear more
                    Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonovox View Post

Lotti Golden - Motor-Cycle. This is great, Bob Crewe produced elaborate arrangements of a song cycle (motor-cycle) about life, love, death, excessive partying and existential wotsit in New York circa late 60s. Musically top notch, and emotionally fraught. There were moments where my hair stood up on end - 'Gonna Fay's', where the partying is only briefly interrupted by the death of Fay is brutal. Just great.
                      Found her second (S/T) record just a little while ago and really enjoy that one too, recommended to seek out.

My fave from her 2nd:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBv9JKN-RvY
                      "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                      and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• Originally posted by the flight View Post
                        Indeed that Fresh Dirt is a good track, where did you have the luck to play it? I am missing a lot of stuff unfortunately but if you have a link or something available give me a hint, thanks!
                        I'm lucky enough to play what I like at the Tanners every month.

No need to miss out, check here -

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/forumd...Playlists-(New!)

They did another single BTW.
                        "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
                          Found her second (S/T) record just a little while ago and really enjoy that one too, recommended to seek out.

My fave from her 2nd:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBv9JKN-RvY

completely different to her Atlantic imput. Even though there are sterling session men on there (Mike Mainieri leading the way) I think its a one tracker ... the one Brainbomb has posted

This is more in keeping with Motor Cycle
                          sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

• A couple from a quick trawl of some local chazzas earlier this week.

The Music Of Dudley Moore – Familiar around here I’m sure. A mono copy in excellent condition. In case you don't know composed by Dud for the film “30 Is A Dangerous Age Cynthia”. The tracks are a mixture of the derivative and pastiche as is well described by Dud in his informative and extensive sleeve notes. I’m liking side 2 in particular with the Gallic tinged “Waltz for Suzie” (very 60s), the jaunty pop of “Hello Sailor” and the film noirish tone of “Detective”. There is also Moore and Moore (no, not Little Milton) - Dud and Barbara on Mating Cry.

Curiously he refers to one track as “Morning Walk” but it is listed as “Hello Sailor” (Dud had something to do with that title I’m sure). I can’t find anything to explain what was behind this and it seems confusing to some Youtubers as well.

Free – Tons Of Sobs. This album perfectly sums up the state of vinyl in the chazzas now. A couple of years ago I picked up an early issue gatefold sleeved copy of this for 49p (almost free) in a local chazza. This latest copy* is a mid 70s 4th issue, I think, in a single sleeve and cost £2. It seems that suddenly this year quite a few chazzas in my area have upped the price of an album to £2 (tons of sobs).
                            (*Yes, so it’s a spare, but I couldn’t leave it behind because it looked so minty. One of the traits of a vinyl junkie).

Comment

• My mate has a second hand vinyl market stall, and he can't get enough of that mainstream 70s rock (Free, Zep, etc) and the Beatles too. Goes as soon as he puts it out.
                              Everyone tear down your own little wall
                              That keeps you from being a part of it all
                              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• Originally posted by candiman View Post
                                Free – Tons Of Sobs. This album perfectly sums up the state of vinyl in the chazzas now. A couple of years ago I picked up an early issue gatefold sleeved copy of this for 49p (almost free) in a local chazza. This latest copy* is a mid 70s 4th issue, I think, in a single sleeve and cost £2. It seems that suddenly this year quite a few chazzas in my area have upped the price of an album to £2 (tons of sobs).
                                (*Yes, so it’s a spare, but I couldn’t leave it behind because it looked so minty. One of the traits of a vinyl junkie).
                                ...and worth a fair bit more than £2, of course

WF

Comment

Working...
                                X