August finds 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August finds 2014

This week's arrivals with a few staples & some newish releases rounded out with a couple cheap finds (Quincy mono og & 'Kirkastus' by Piirpauke).. Mad River is an alltime fave, so nice to have clean original at last - that, Tago Mago & Wegmuller/Tarot box set came from a friend who's still cleaning out his collection.. soul lps were purchased from a local shop which recently bought in a mad (deep & northern) soul collection from heirs of a deceased collector, with lotsa titles I'd never seen (or even heard of ), and the're adding nice stuff for sale daily- I think I gotta stop going there for a while now..
    The aural history of the sex life of a cosmic corn popper

Hardboiled start of the month for me:

KPM 1076 Speed And Excitement
    Johnny Pearson, Keith Mansfield and Alan Hawkshaw ‎– hardboiled grooves with fuzz and organ. Solid album.

Armando Trovaioli ‎– Blazing Magnum
    Because I've always wanted to own a couple of really cool Italian trash cinema soundtracks. This one has great moody stuff and fantastic cop show funk pieces with weird electronics.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Some killers there Burt. Glad it's not just me feeling the 1st Mad River lp. Dark and beautiful.
      Les Goths, haven't heard the lp, is anything in the same league as Turn Over?
      Everyone tear down your own little wall
      That keeps you from being a part of it all
      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Love that blazing magnum

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
          Some killers there Burt. Glad it's not just me feeling the 1st Mad River lp. Dark and beautiful.
          Les Goths, haven't heard the lp, is anything in the same league as Turn Over?
          Yeah, big fan of that Mad River lp - dark, beautiful and unpredictable: I've been listening the cd a lot over the years and I'm still able to spot something new everytime I listen to it.. btw it sounds like the balance on the og is slightly different than on the cd which is supposedly a needle drop (I also have the 1986 Edsel RI lp with 'corrected' speed , but for me, the original, sligthly speeded-up version is way to go)

As for Les Goths, the rest sounded decent enough - a few other nice tracks here and there, but with nothing standing out like Turn Over.. as a whole didn't hit me like the Public Nuisance 2lp, though
          Last edited by blue burt; 02-08-2014, 11:42 AM.
          The aural history of the sex life of a cosmic corn popper

Comment

Ouch, I want that Blazing Magnums too.

Comment

Comment

Hi guys, here are some pieces I found lately:

1.Etienne Verschueren Quartet - Early Spring - Jazz Cats Records - another find from the Belgium jazz label, just a few of them listed on the web, finding more makes me want more from this label. Nice piece for the jazz lovers.

2.Memorial Henri Gautier - recordings in the memory of a french poet (1978) - it seems it's a private pressing. Spiritual jazz, avant-garde jazz, free jazz, pretty consistent and again a good one for those who enjoy jazz. The opened gatefold is the same record. Images like these always hungers my listening needs.

3. Ken McIntyre - Home - (1975) - SteepleChase Records - jazz, lovely record, relistened some songs several times.
                4. Cloud - All Night Long - (1980) - Flashback Records - it was featured in Gilles Peterson's Britfunk mix for Brownswood and Ninja Tune. I was quite marked by that mix can't explain exactly why but it instantly listed some british jazz-funk releases on the top of my wantlist. So one of these popped up just a few days back.

The vocal side is the best tho, what a track...

5. Alaska & Seba - Back From Eternity - (2006) second release on Arctic Music - minty copy. Again some rare stuff from the masters of drumfunk. Release limited to 1000 copies not a few but enough to make it hard to find in a minty condition. I can remember that the guys were saying, regarding this release that they tried to recreate the sound of the 90s atmospheric jungle scene. Roger Eno - Voices was sampled in this incredible release. Timeless!

Comment

I definitely need to pick up the Mad River, that's the second or third time someone here's recommended it highly. That Cloud tune is brilliant, I don't know about Brit Jazz but I know that sounds great! Gogo, any info on those? Do you rate S.B.B? Fad looks interesting as does Free Beer...?

I went and traded some records on Berwick St yesterday with some O.K results, plus a couple of eBay grabs:

Tony Wright (Kingyo) - Simplicity/Complexity (Radnor)

Excellent folk album from Philadelphia. Native American singer songwriter, very good guitar and songwriting with some rock and psych touches. The Simplicity side is all stripped down folk while the Complexity side has nicely produced and arranged orchestration.

Tedd Smith - Requiem For A Nobody (Light)

I found some chat about Light and Tedd Smith through the search on here but not about this record. It's "a theatre or sanctuary piece for adult/youth choirs and soloists". A concept album, as far as I can tell, about the dangers of drugs and the hippy lifestyle. Folky segments, orchestral interludes, fuzz guitar, soulful choir, some decent drums, nice female vocals and Christian chanting make it an interesting listen. Some beautiful songs like Pictures and Lonely Come, Lonely Go.

Morrow Bros Band - Morrow Bros Band (Kumquat)

Rural flavoured psych/soft rock. There's some great dual guitar parts, sunny harmonies and tempo changes. I am feeling this sound right now.

Mashmakhan - Mashmakhan (CBS)

Nice clean copy of this. I love Mashmakhan and I love this record. Something for everybody on here. Quality funkypsychrock.

Dave Plaehn - Smokin (Pilot)

This one is also so good. 1980, jazz, soul, soft and smooth. Highly recommend.

Comment

The only thing of note from a quick chazza crawl yesterday. (Another 100% price increase encountered - up from 25p to 50p )
                    Seems this might just swell the coffers a little bit.

Judy Garland - It's Lovely To Be Back In London. A one sided special issue in great condition.

Comment

Originally posted by toby.d View Post

Dave Plaehn - Smokin (Pilot)

This one is also so good. 1980, jazz, soul, soft and smooth. Highly recommend.

Really like this. It seems very obscure. On the wants list.

Comment

I think it is quite obscure, not so difficult to track down online at the moment although you'll probably want to wait until something cheaper comes up than what's available now. It's a fantastic record though, in my opinion. Occupies the space between modern soul and easy rock with added quirks. I want to rip it to my laptop when I get the opportunity, I'll try and remember to send you a link when I do.

Comment

Couple of the fleamarket, some from shops, PO box and trades, no big bills needed luckily ...

Angel Gatti (pianist) was a fan of Formula 1 races and particularly of the French superstars like Jabouille, Prost and Arnoux. It's them who inspired "Pocho" to release this double lp in 1981. Some great jazz funk all over the first record, with rhodes, organs, synth, wah wah, horns, bass & drums and... some engines roars! i like this kind of cover art (by chance this is a gatefold sleeve!), photos of R5, R18 turbo, R30 turbodiesel and R5 Alpine turbo. Listen to the grooviest tunes of TURBO MUSIC.

Normally I'm not a big Keith Jarrett fan, have to say I like this set very much.

Minted up this Funk Classic, well known.

Lovely Cover, record more sample material than listen material.

Orchester Ken James ‎– Bossa Nova Revival, perhaps known here on the forum, could be an VG+ classic, great exploitation Bossa Nova.

Spare copy of this French Groove classic.

Robert Fripp ‎– Let The Power Fall.

Also found another bunch of great 12"Inches.

Minty UK 1st press.

Great album by the Queen of Soul.

Late Blaxploitation record, groovy tunes all over, 1979.

Less known Blue Note, groovy Brazilian, early 70s.

Dutch original, does not need introduction.

Long time want, thanks Lee, Afro JBs feel

Long time want, thanks Lee, Aussie Jazz

Great Blue Note spiritual Jazz set

Another gathered trough trade, Psych Sitar Soul, classic album

Lots of cheese, some track are funky

Funk Classic, another long time want!

Three times in 4 months, VG+ copy up for trade

Great record, trade I got in, funky female vocals ...

My Statigram account ...

http://statigr.am/cratedigger

http://kratgraver.blogspot.nl

Comment

Like the sound of the Turbo lp. Had a quick look for it. Same seller has it on Discogs and Musicstack. £170 on Discogs, £270 on Musicstack!! Do these people really just make it up as they go along?
                            Nice finds Kratgraver & Tobyd. Tony Wright sounds really good
                            Everyone tear down your own little wall
                            That keeps you from being a part of it all
                            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

That don burrows is a want of mine breakzzzz

Comment

Working...
                              X