September Finds 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September Finds 2014

Some large lots of vinyl out at the boot yesterday. Picked up a few albums, which I'll roll into the next one, but also dug my way through tons of singles from a single seller (sic). Four rows in each crate, each row a couple of feet deep. A couple of early birds were flicking through, pulled a face, and moved on to look for pots of leprechaun gold to flip. There was a lot of ahem filler, but I dug in, and worked through 4 crates worth. Pulled out a bunch, went to pay, and the guy says, "there's 4 more on the back of the truck, want to climb up and go through?". Yep. Worked though all those, and in all that time no one else even came and flicked through another box.

Ended up with about 40 singles. Here's some of what they could have won! ... skipping past the didn't-work-outs, the too-mojo, and the just-can't-be-bothereds ...

Big Carrot - Blackjack. Marc Bolan pseudonym raer, right there as I started on the first crate. Sounds a bit like T-Rex, don'tcha know.

Armaggedon - Oh Man. Quality heavy rock on an Italian jukebox single.

Bunny Sigler - Love Train. Great slow take on this classic tune.

Bunny Sigler - Theme For Five Fingers Of Death. Kung Fu themed funk with martial art grunts and a challenge to both Shaft and Superfly. Yeah!

Ultrafunk - Kung Fu Man. More kung fu action on here, "fists of steel , speed of light, never looking for a fight"...

Jimmy Castor - King Kong. Along with this I got a couple of other Jimmy Castors, but this is the one - c'mon it has a ape-grunty acapella refrain and a killer couplet; "One woman heard his love call / but he was too big and too tall".

Le Pamplemousse - Le Spank. I did pick up a few disco/cheese bits, this is my favourite. Forget Le Freak, this is Le Spank... synthy-winthy dancefloor spanking time.

Neil Christian - That's Nice. Ronseal R&B.

Orangle Bicycle - Want To B Side. Some psych b side. Not the nicest looking copy, but plays fine.

The Rattles - The Witch. At last, been after a copy of this stomper ever since seeing the Les Humphries take on it (!) - thanks VG+.

Nino Ferrer - La Pelle Nera. Italian James Brown moves... nice try!

The Move - Disturbance. Pounding B side of 'Night Of Fear' ending in a disturbing screaming breakdown - intense!

Harpers Bizarre - Malibu U. One of their finest moments, a TV theme for the grooviest university in the universe. Love this, I listen to it a lot, and this is a nice copy.

Break Machine - Break Dance Party. Is there any other kind?

Idris Muhammad - Turn This Mutha Out. CTI-'d up disco jazz stuff with quirky bits. Also picked up a couple of late 70s Roy Ayres/Ubiquity in the same vein.

John Elliott and his Diatonic 4 . Organ + accordion take on Caravan is rather splendid.

Yesterday was August, right?
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
      Yesterday was August, right?
      Today is September. QED.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post

Harpers Bizarre - Malibu U. One of their finest moments, a TV theme for the grooviest university in the universe. Love this, I listen to it a lot, and this is a nice copy.

"All new students report to the Dean of the school, his office is cool - it's a telephone booth....."

A total winner...That looks a great haul my friend....one day I might just make it out of bed early in the morning...
        you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

It’s been a bad week for my in tray which had been under control for almost a month.

Local carboot sale threw up about 5-10 curios/couldn’t leave ‘em punts:
          Gershon/Kingsely double which is heavy on the cover version,
          1977 Burt Bacharach solo lp called Futures,
          1985 mfp Action Themes,
          1978 power pop group called Yankees with Alex Chilton guesting, some decent R&B covers,
          a local 45 by a group called The Savoys with a cover of CCR’s lodi (weak, so so weak),
          1974 Udo Lindenberg lp which teeters between glam rock and terminal schlager. The jury is out on that on.
          “Here Comes The Sun” by Nina Simone (VG- cover) is the obvious winner.
          All in I spent €8 and that got me two DVDs as well (Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Krull fact fans).
          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Got some nice bargains last month and although this is from a couple of months ago (just managed to work out the image/photo upload issues), it's one the best £1 charity shop finds I've had this year. Stone NM copy with the promo sticker on the label.
            From the same shop near me in which I found a mint copy of the Associates first single, the self released Bowie cover 'Boys Keep Swinging' for 50p.
            Also got a couple of really nice Deram singles at a booted, one was 23rd Turnoff...

[IMG][/IMG]
            Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mondays Child View Post
                Got some nice bargains last month and although this is from a couple of months ago (just managed to work out the image/photo upload issues), it's one the best £1 charity shop finds I've had this year. Stone NM copy with the promo sticker on the label.
                From the same shop near me in which I found a mint copy of the Associates first single, the self released Bowie cover 'Boys Keep Swinging' for 50p.
                Also got a couple of really nice Deram singles at a booted, one was 23rd Turnoff...

[IMG][/IMG]
                well done sir
                Rockwell
                Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by Sie-Fly View Post
                  well done sir

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOffffffffffffffffff ff.

No need for that Record collecter reissue
                  sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
                    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOffffffffffffffffff ff.

No need for that Record collecter reissue
                    Seconded!
                    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

A bit of a round up - sorry! A lot of trades (thanks Craig, Ben, Cees and Joe - top fellas), some BINs, some local flipper deals, a few in the wild and some PO box action! Sorry if I'm duplicating anything - old age memory etc.

LPs:

Biting Pencilface's style with the Brazilian TV OST - some gret originals on side one including a 'Psyche Rock' soundalike!
                      Loving side one of the McNair - side two needs further listens.
                      October Country - bought for 'My Girlfriend is a Witch' but enjoying it all - bit more gentle sike pop in the main.
                      World of Oz - poppy but I realy like it - the one proper psych track is amazing though. Thanks Craig.
                      Ride - minty and cheap - Seagull is amazing still.
                      Stone Roses - spare - couldn't leave it in a charity shop - think I have 4 copies at the moment
                      Greatest Show on Earth - prog innit - nice!
                      New Place to Live - Canadian rural psych with a Xian bent - pretty good.
                      Kossie Gardner - great organ LP with covers of such VV / VG+ friendly stuff as 'Fire' and 'Sunshine of Your Love' - not sure why I never knew about it years ago? Should be a VV classic. It can be had super cheap too.

Machine - Dutch prog raer - not sure about this yet - not really grabbing me - might be coming to Utrecht with me as trade material.
                      Greek lady freakbeater cheap BIN - ta Sarge!
                      Youngblood comp - v cheap from the market - got it for 'Captain Man' really.
                      Another Pencilface spin - strange and great library! Synths, bells and fuzz!
                      Mindbenders - great LP - 'Schoolgirl' and the 'Morning after' are the tracks but it's a good listen throughout - many thanks Sie.
                      Nino & Legs - another one the jury is out on - I should really like but hmmmm
                      Bottom row are part of a few 'indie' LPs I found in a charity recently - there's a bunch of others but I put these in to balance the photo.

45s - I've had A LOT of 45s in recently so here's the edited highlights:

Classic popcorn?

Great early soul dancer.

Little Richard's RnB phase - excellent - super tough drums.

I never knowingly leave a Bo Diddley record behind. Yet to find a bad one (pre 1975).

Great girl group sounds

weird slightlydelic oddity

Nice slice of Scottish psych

biting Enrico's style now - checked this after he playlisted it - great!

new Checker funker on me - loving it.

Waxi set sales comes up trumps - used to get played at Wigan - sounds a bit slow for that to me but superb all the same. Great Kinks cover on the flip too.

traded for this - lovely UK copy if you ignore the label.

'Farmer John' rip off extolling the virtues of water skiing - no really.

HEAVY - LP going spare now - pm me if interested.

A bit pedestrian to be honest

funky hornrock workout.

Biker OST exploito - not as good as I'd hoped for but decent

Cheap US copy of UK psych classic with Hendrix involvement

Scottish beat with one of the strangest sounding guitar solo's I've heard - love it

Great uptempo sister soul version of the Bobbie Gentry classic.

Finally nabbed a copy of this noveltly northern spin - ace!

Great US garage psych 2 sider

The original version of the song covered by the Electric Prunes - bit more laid back - love the backwards effects at the end.

US wah wah infested psych.

Wanted on of these since I heard Sie Norflok play it - a tough pull but finally got it! Great cover of a folk standard with tough drums and guitars. Look at the sleeve too!

A cheeky offer on discogs and I'm in the 'VG+ Moses club' - started by AlanMck I think? Classic 2 sider which need nothing further from me!

Probably my current fave spin - Fuz played this to me off an LP a while back and it's taken me some time to turn up a copy but it was worth the wait - Wanda Jackson goes garage!

..and last but by no means least

a long time want which came up for sale and I decided to go for it - 2 amazing sides and I've already forgotten the guilt of paying for it

I've never been sure what being 'rowed out' means - anyone?

Comment

Killing it there Lee mate...Big fan of that October Country, some tasty 45's there, plenty I'm well jealous of - The Eyes, David Terry, TR5 etc.
                        "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                          Killing it there Lee mate...Big fan of that October Country, some tasty 45's there, plenty I'm well jealous of - The Eyes, David Terry, TR5 etc.
                          Cheers mate.

I actually forgot the last pic - the picture sleeve 45s:

The Mirage - long time want again - this is a German issue with two great sides for yer Euro - I'd prefer a UK 'Tomorrow....' but this'll do nicely!
                          Knef ace psych B side off 'that' LP.
                          Great afro funky breakz on BYG - part II is where it's at for me.
                          France Gall BIN on here - excellent - three great tracks with 'Chanson Indienne' the stand out.
                          Blues Explosion - Funky noise - heard it on a mix recently and had forgotten how good it was so rebought!
                          Funky Italian femme 45 - excellent!

Comment

Nice singles Lee mate.

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                            Knef ace psych B side off 'that' LP.
                            I grabbed a copy of this online recently for next to nothing.
                            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                              I grabbed a copy of this online recently for next to nothing.
                              Me too

Comment

Working...
                              X