October Finds 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• October Finds 2014

Still digging. All below were from cheap-as-chips land, £1 or less, with one exception. Includes a nice big dollop of 20th century composer.

Prokofiev, Samuel Barber, Frank Bridge solo piano works - all magnificent. Never into these composers before, their big hitters always overshadowed the tasty astringent-to-atonal sides displayed here. Would probably have skipped on Prokofiev if I hadn't spotted that one piece was called "Five Sarcasms". Americana III I have yet to get to grips with, but basically contemporaries of Charles Ives.

Webern albums - great to find these in the wild. Schuman/Rorem refers to jazz influences in the sleeve notes, but it all sounds strangely like film soundtrack, disappointing. Alan Hovhaness is patchy at best with a prolific output, but Fra Angelico is one of his best pieces, otherworldy sounding with the 'spirit murmur' technique he invented in evidence (aleatoric, textural sound).

The Templeton Twins renders 70s hits in a 30s style. This is actually Ted Templeman double tracking on megaphone vocals, goofy as heck, and jammed with Vulture standards like Spinning Wheel, Light My Fire, Macarthur Park... I reckon y'all are hardy enough to handle Macarthur Park 30s style. I love the high pitched "Oh No!"

The Morgan James Duo At The Bar Of Music has a weird title, an ace cover, a dodgy selection of tunes, and ace renditions in a high-energy shooby dooby wooby wah vocal style with a healthy splat of scat singing. Class.
    Maynard Ferguson - Swingin' My Way Through Through College also harks back to the 30s and has plenty of POW! but is a little lacking in BIFF!
    Rose Royce - Rainbow Connection. Funkin' Norman Whitfield production and a track called 'Bad Mother Funker' sell this one.

The reissue of Graham Bond - Holy Magick was the expensive one at £3. Cover printing is rather blurry, but chuffed with this. Box of frogs time, the whole of Side 1 is a 20+ minute occult ceremony with chants in Atlantean (among other th ings) accompanied with some tasty blues organ, natch.
    Glen Campbell Presents Larry McNeely is a solo album from the banjo meister on Glen's TV show. The most interesting thing I reckon is "Banjo Raga Number Two", but it's not as interesting as that sounds.
    Offsetting the Graham Bond are two 10p punts - can't remember the last time I found a charity shop selling off LPs for 10p! - Walter Murphy - Rhapsody In Blue gives the title track a cheesetastic disco funk workout in the same vein as 'A Fifth Of Beethoven', and the Ron Goodwin brass band is as you'd expect.

It's not often I am brave enough to sample Xian records, but I couldn't resist Crossbeats - Crazy Mixed-Up Generation, which spreads the Word in a Merseybeat manner.
    The Fortunes - Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again was a real letdown, nothing standing out.
    Allan Clarke - My Real Name Is 'Arold. Some nice moments, needs more listening.
    Brewer and Shipley - ST11261. Slickified country rock.

Shinichi Yuizi - The Romance Of Japan. Great Koto music album I found at the bottom of a tea chest.
    Storyteller - More Pages. Fairly roughed up, but the music sounds amazing, dual vocalist folk-rock, lovely vocal harmonies. This is the band with the mighty Terry Durham in it, he also did the cover artwork here.
    Gene Pitney - More Big Sixteen wouldn't normally get a look in, but it does have my favourite Gene track on it, 'Half The Laughter, Twice The Tears' which always leaves me feeling gobsmacked (also on 'Blue Gene').
    Bee Gees - 1st. Upgrade from my rubbish copy to a slightly less rubbish copy. So it goes.

I just noticed that YouTube of the Templeton Twins is lacking the additional female vocals on the LP I have which make it more wackier. Boo. But I can't edit the post to moan about it there.

Comment

I love that Graham Bond album, great find.
      Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

@ Sonovox...Result on the Crossbeats, it's a tricky one to turn up, I'm green with envy!
        "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Can a month get off to a better start than finding these at a market this morning..?

"Tropicalia" is the original Brazilian 1968 mono and the "Mutantes" is the 1969 original Brazilian pressing.

Deep, deep joy. If you like Brazilian music I guess.
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Oooooooooooooooof.

Comment

but you don't like brazilian music, Simon, so you should just send them both to me.

quickly.

before they pollute your shelves.

you fecker.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
                Can a month get off to a better start than finding these at a market this morning..?

wowzers - excellent finds! I would have struggled maintaining any sort of poker face. Great music!
                Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                  @ Sonovox...Result on the Crossbeats, it's a tricky one to turn up, I'm green with envy!
                  Yeah, I dig this one aswell... nice find.
                  In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

"Tropicalia" is the original Brazilian 1968 mono and the "Mutantes" is the 1969 original Brazilian pressing.

Oh boy.

I mean, "OOooofff"
                    Last edited by Sie Vulture; 06-10-2014, 11:49 AM.
                    https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Blimey! Market stall!!!?????? Market!!!!????? Stalll!!!!???? Only ever seen the Mutantes on the wall in Utrecht.
                      Last edited by Sie Vulture; 06-10-2014, 11:49 AM.
                      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Yes mate, market stall...

Just finished cleaning the Mutantes... VG+ vinyl, plays lovely (considering it didn't have an inner sleeve)
                        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Just finished cleaning the Mutantes... VG+ vinyl, plays lovely (considering it didn't have an inner sleeve)

Blimey your market man is coming up trumps this year mate. Nice finds.
                          Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Tell me it wasn't Colins' stall Sie.....his next outing would have been down here on Monday. Congrats anyway, great finds
                            Everyone tear down your own little wall
                            That keeps you from being a part of it all
                            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Cheers...

No, not our mutual friend... talking of him, he's not been bringing any new records to the market of late - I think he's downsizing his stock and/or struggling to find good stuff. When you shout up "morning Colin! any new bits?" he can name all the new records in the crates and there are usually no more than three... Shame..!

Comment

Working...
                              X