November Finds 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November Finds 2014

Got a tip that there were thousands of records in the basement of a local furniture shop. Waded through countless Perry Como, Max Bygraves and German Oompa and found 6 copies of David Emmanuel - Life On The Road / Love Secrets.

Rest were from local shop where i traded in a load of boring techno and house for some funk and disco 7"

Atlantic is Bar Kays - Soul Finger and Polydor is Roy Ayers - Running Away

Originally posted by nebkins View Post
    Got a tip that there were thousands of records in the basement of a local furniture shop.
    In the start of my digging career, in the early eighties, I got a tip that the local jewellery/watches shop had a stock of 45s left from the time when they were the local record shop as well. The elderly owners were happy to let me dig in their back room for an afternoon. I had just started an interest in sixties pop/garage but I managed to pick out about 25 records among box after box of religious/easy listening/trad jazz/eurovision. Most of them with very nice and in some cases rare Swedish picture sleeves. I was a bit clueless at the time, so with what I know now, I could probably have picked out even more. At the time my interest in jazz was zero, so there may well have been a lot of desirable Swedish jazz there.
    Last edited by Sie Vulture; 03-11-2014, 10:02 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Got to the boot a couple of hours later than normal, lots of unplucked goodies there still.

Dave Anthony - Popsie looked promising enough for a 20p punt on "Electronic Organ and Things", and it turned to be out an absolute cracker, especially the original tunes. Googling for it took me to a discussion guess where. Nearly cracked it trying to take it off the deck, combo of a too-narrow spindle hole on a floppy disc [sic!]. Just about got away with it after some vigorous cursing and wiggling.
      The Bigwoods - More Of The Bigwoods is another private, cordovox action which is usually bitterly disappointing, but this has a couple of goodies, fuzzy take on Satisfaction. And of course, the bonus publicity photo of Bobby Bigwood in action. Wonder what's the deal with the chef's hat.
      Some Roxy solo projects with Eno involvement in Andy Mackay - In Search Of Eddie Riff, which is a bit snoozy in parts but comes up with a nice Ride Of The Valkryies (!) at the end and Phil Manzanera - Listen Now with his trademark guitar sonics.

The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown is a UK mono original. Happy.
      Klaatu - Hope has been dyed yellow in the corners somehow. Great elaborate proggy arrangements, but I see where the Beatles rumours came from on some of this.
      Cactus World News - Urban Beaches. Easy to write them off as U2 wannabees, especially with B*n* production involvement, but strip away the taint and there are some scorchingly good moments here, the first track has a wonderously mad atmos of guitar squawks, shrieks and qwrglurghs second to none.
      Shamen - En-Tact. Why not?

Bit of Ted Heath action, also a decent but not amazing Project 3 with Urbie Green and his 21 Trombones. And Doctor Doolittle with the book in it - somehow failed to get a copy before now.

Postbox finds here.

Sound Forms For Piano is a great survey of different approaches to modified piano sound. Henry Cowell's The Banshee is great, involves direct string scraping making spooky howling noises. And some nice tone cluster work from him too, outrageous in its day but just powerful sounding now. Conlon Nancarrow's prepared piano pieces sound like the most glorious riot of sound, or irritating as hell, depending on mood. And then there's Ben Johnston's Sonata for Microtonal Piano - definitely musical marmite.
      The LP on the top right is a double LP of quarter tone music by Ivan Wyschnegradsky , so you can tell I like marmite.

The two albums of Inuit music I found harder going than I expected. Need to revisit to see if anything clicks. Really interesting to see examples of Inuit script though.

Mer Et Bateaux sound effects - the relaxing noise of waves on some tracks, furious storm sounds on others, bathyscope atmospherics, and brutal industrial cargo ship noise. Perfect combo.

Field recording of The Helston Furry Dance with commentary. Ace!

Big Daddy - Eye Of The Tiger. Doo wop version!

The Beeds - Love Hurts. Rather nice harmony pop.

Georgie Fame - Rhythm & Blues. Not sure how the local gripsquad had managed to miss this for 20p, cracking.

Guy Marks - Loving You Has Made My Bananas. A spoof 30s style number, a bunch of nonsense lyrics. Not a belly laugh, "I asked the waiter for iodine / But I dined all alone" is as good as it gets.

Alyn Ainsworth - Lily Of Laguna Cha Cha. For the WTF Cockney Latin factor.

Del Shannon - Hats Off To Larry. A flat out favourite, I just love this song.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
        Dave Anthony - Popsie looked promising enough for a 20p punt on "Electronic Organ and Things", and it turned to be out an absolute cracker, especially the original tunes. Googling for it took me to a discussion guess where. Nearly cracked it trying to take it off the deck, combo of a too-narrow spindle hole on a floppy disc [sic!]. Just about got away with it after some vigorous cursing and wiggling.
        Brilliant..! One of my personal faves from the WMS experience.
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Couple of cheapies but goodies....yum yum (sorry!)

[IMG][/IMG]

Neil Christian - That's Nice / I like it. All about the b side, although the top side is alright. '66 fuzz washed wig out. Jimmy Page on guitar apparently, who cares? It's a corker.

[IMG][/IMG]

Aeroplane -September in the rain / It's so better. B side action again. Pop sensibilities shine through the heavy riffing guitar. Rightly so too, as the band had a bit of a minor pedigree going on. Keith Fawcett and Alain Arnaud were previously in Choc, which makes sense if you know their 45s. Steve Radford was guitarist with Jasper of Liberation "fame".
          Everyone tear down your own little wall
          That keeps you from being a part of it all
          Because you've got to be one with the one and all
          You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by nebkins View Post
            Got a tip that there were thousands of records in the basement of a local furniture shop. Waded through countless Perry Como, Max Bygraves and German Oompa and found 6 copies of David Emmanuel - Life On The Road / Love Secrets.

Good find!!! 1 keeper and 5 to fly off Discogs at £30 each?
            <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

NM for 3 Euros. Never get tired of picking up rap classics.

Comment

some odd bits I found at the re-cycle depot yesterday, 7" are 50p + LP's a £1

best find of the day was this beautiful 12" single by Macedonian group Anastasia

another nice find was the original UK pressing of this album, the track-listing says it all really

featuring a track called Morrissey and The Russian Sailor sadly not about the man himself

late 60's UK budget issue of the 1959 original in a totally different sleeve

if your grandad was from Norfolk and recorded a folk LP it would probably have sounded like this

the pick of the singles, there were plenty more bird sounds 7"s released in this series by the narrator, but this is the 1st one

a few nice European Folk EP's were lurking amongst the Joe Loss & Mantovani LP's

I thought this might be a comedy record, alas it is just a dry read through by the author of Parkinson's Law

an upbeat and typically silly tune sung with great enthusiasm by Spike, with his take on Silent Night on the flip

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

a few nice European Folk EP's were lurking amongst the Joe Loss & Mantovani LP's
                  Always enjoy your finds HG, particularly jealous of the Savage and the Senuous. Have had my eye on a US copy for a while. That Hungarian gypsy EP prompted me to write this post a while ago. I've since got pretty fascinated by the song 'Dance, Gypsy, Dance!'

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Head Gardener, the quality of your pics are just fantastic how do you do it , the cover on that Anastasia is amazing

Comment

wow, gustav ernesaks version of Spinning Wheel vinylvulture classic

Comment

Originally posted by priima View Post
                        wow, gustav ernesaks version of Spinning Wheel vinylvulture classic
                        Wow - I didn't know that was an Estonian folksong
                        "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                        and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Hey Head Gardner nice finds mate. How you liking the Don Ralke sound track :

Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

BIG love for the Don Ralke, I couldn't find much info on the UK copy so was doubly chuffed
                            thanks for your kind words guys, as always
                            The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Yup, the UK 'Savage And The Sensuous' is off the radar, nowt on discogs or the net at all...my stereo copy is well hammered but plays beautifully...Earl Palmer rocking some top beats with Patato...great find! I'd defo pass on my very vg stereo copy for a mono in nice nick...

Comment

Working...
                              X