February Finds 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February Finds 2015

Nobody looks like they want to move into Feb yet so I'll kick things off. Real world finds are non-existent at the moment so I've been picking up some reasonably priced reissues lately.

We'll start with some new stuff though.

Came across these through a recent thread on here but can't remember now which thread it was though but thanks to whoever posted them.
    Knifeworld - Buried Alone : Tales Of Crushing Defeat.
    Knifeworld - The Unravelling. Two albums from this proggy/pop psychy band fronted by the wild-eyed Kavus Torabi with Melanie Woods (former drummer for Sidi Bou Said) adding counterpoint vocals. This is music to sit down and explore. Their music is described as unusual, complex, dense and exhiliarating and I can't argue with that.
    Syd Arthur - Sound Mirror (Harvest). Some more modern pop-inspired psych that kicks along nicely.

Human Instinct - Human Instinct 1969-1971. Triple lp boxset of their first 3 albums. Brilliant stuff from a great New Zealand band with the legendary Billy TK on guitar. This goes from blues/garage rock to psych/prog in the later material. Think the Pins In It album is my favourite - the change of bass player seems to have given them a bit more of a groove.
    You Really Got Me from Burning Up Years
    Black Sally from Stoned Guitar
    Rainbow World from Pins In It
    Human Instinct - Kiwi Psych Heads singles 1966-1971. Followed up the boxset with this cheap collection of their 45 releases over that time period. Fills in a few gaps that the albums miss.
    A Day In My Mind's Mind
    The Daisy Chain - Straight Or Lame. This came up cheap on Norman so quickly grabbed a copy. Great West Coast pop psych with femme vocals. The track Zzotto sounds very Stereolab-like.

Medusa - First Step Beyond. Previously unreleased psych rock beautifully packaged once again by Numero Records with a lovely mock-velvet cover and embossed gold and red artwork. The music's not bad either.
    Quatrain - S/T. West Coast psych rock from '69. Picked up the Sundazed re with an extra album of unissued material.

Jim Sullivan - UFO. Don't think this one needs an introduction here. Not a bad track on this.

The Lebron Brothers Orchestra - Psychedelic Goes Latin. Can't be the first one that's been drawn to that title and yes it is in no way psychedelic. Still a decent album though when you fancy a bit of boogaloo.
    Terry Smith - Fall Out. Scott Walker produced jazz guitar with a strong backing band. Could sizzle a bit more but overall it's a good listen. Decent cover of Look Of Love with a nice flute solo.
    The David - Another Day, Another Lifetime. Cracking album with plenty of psychy guitar and organ. Reminds me of Love in parts.

Hollins & Starr - Sidewalks Talking. Think this one's got a few fans on here.
    Affinity - S/T. Again very late to the party on this one.
    John Bunyan's Progressive Pilgrims - Apricot Brandy & Albatross. One of the better exploito albums I believe. Plenty to like on this with fuzz guitar and organ aplenty.

Year round boot sale is still turning up the odd bit in you are willing to brave the subarctic windswept tundra.

Stockhausen - Prozession. A solitary avant garde record in a pile of dreck, this is insanely klang-bleep-bloopy. Dead pleased to find it, but is currently filed under "Stockhausen" with a mental note that maybe I don't need so much Stockhausen.
    Bobby Pickett - Monster Mash. "That's £2. You know the Monster Mash? It's half an hour of all the same like that." He was correct. Love it.
    Kokee Band - Exotica 1970. Solid State jazz exotica. Bit late in the day (actually '66) for this kind of Project 3 copycat stuff, but actually it's got some at least one cracking track on it, a revved up "Love For Sale". Nice takes on "Misirlou" and "Tico Tico" etc. etc. too.
    Angel - Helluva Band. Early hair metal with widdly keyboard and guitar.

Deeper into the chud, Viva Bouzouki and The Finest Bouzouki do what it says on the tin. Defunkt - Thermo Nuclear Sweat bought because of Vernon Reid presence, but not really clicking with me. The Davitt Sigerson I picked up because it was on Ze Records, but no dice.

The junk shop also had another collection of bits and bobs in.
    King Crimson - Larks Tongues In Aspic. There's a big hole in my 70s Crimson knowledge, this is in the middle of it. Like the rest of Crimson, interesting to great in parts, but doesn't maintain a grip throughout...
    John Maynard - The XII Wonders Of The World. Oddball medieval song suite with songs covering 12 types of personality.
    Singing The Fishing. Classic radio ballard production, somehow this is the first of the LPs ever to cross my path. This is magic.
    Neil Innes - The Innes Book Of Records. Goddamit Innes make me laugh.

Comment

Found a few nice cheap bits at the Olympia fayre - a cracking Francis, Day & Hunter LP with a couple of very nice bongo-driven jazzy tracks, a clean copy of that Chappell album with the "Ask The Family" theme and a stack of curious but very cheap 45s toppermost of which was this early 60s R&B thing.

And here's that familiar theme tune but viewed from an unfamiliar angle...

Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

Originally posted by Melter;557167.
        [B
        Syd Arthur[/B] - Sound Mirror (Harvest). Some more modern pop-inspired psych that kicks along nicely.
        I listened to this over the weekend. I have one of theirs already (name escapes me). I find I am initially bowled over by their sound but as the album proceeds I end up being not completely convinced without really being sure why. I like the instrumentation and the arrangements. I think it is the singer's voice, although it sort of fits with what else is going on I can't help thinking he maybe the weak link - buried down in the mix so that I can't work out what he is singing sometimes. Or is it that the lyrics are weak and they don't want them pushed to the fore?
        And I do think they should make their tracks longer and explore their ideas more. Is this the pop slanted thing or do they just think the average music listener nowadays has the attantion span of a knat?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
          Stockhausen - Prozession. A solitary avant garde record in a pile of dreck, this is insanely klang-bleep-bloopy. Dead pleased to find it, but is currently filed under "Stockhausen" with a mental note that maybe I don't need so much Stockhausen.
          Bobby Pickett - Monster Mash. "That's £2. You know the Monster Mash? It's half an hour of all the same like that." He was correct. Love it.
          Kokee Band - Exotica 1970. Solid State jazz exotica. Bit late in the day (actually '66) for this kind of Project 3 copycat stuff, but actually it's got some at least one cracking track on it, a revved up "Love For Sale". Nice takes on "Misirlou" and "Tico Tico" etc. etc. too.
          Three nice records here. I think I have the last, seeking the second and admiring but probably not wanting the first.
          Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
            Three nice records here. I think I have the last, seeking the second and admiring but probably not wanting the first.
            My master plan with Stockhausen albums is to wait until they come along for a quid... pretty successful so far.

The inner sleeve of this has a "Phonogram Faulty Record" label attached with "Warped/dished" ticked, but it's flat as a pancake - maybe the original buyer just couldn't believe it was meant to sound like this

Comment

first couple of days of Feb have turned up a few LP's but am really looking forward to getting down on my knees
              in the fields when the boots begin again rather than these pretty grubby tip shops, but still managed some nice finds.

it was the mere thought of a funky brass version The Exorcist theme that made me pick this up!

I must have missed these Irish civil rights related LP's the other week, singalong lyrics on the rear

the debut by The Tinkers on Pye

not an original copy but an unplayed Fame label re-issue

rear of the cover had coffee stains but the vinyl is clean and a Go Beat original

one to trade on as I already have this, but someone has gaily rubbed out the price on the sticker

but from my own copy luckily I know the 'Gay Price'

Last edited by Head Gardener; 02-02-2015, 04:56 PM.
              The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
                Whoa, what's she playing there? A guitar??
                Last edited by Sonovox; 02-02-2015, 03:10 PM. Reason: oops

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                  Whoa, what's she playing there? A guitar??
                  SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

That would be me in the 'NME top 100 albums of 2014' thread. Glad you enjoyed them.
                    Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Just time for a quick look in my local vinyl emporium this evening. I took along five lp's that I had acquired for pence and which are probably worth that. Traded them for Bobby Montez and His Orchestra - "Viva! Percussion!". Vinyl is Ex+. Sleeve also (a very small amount of ringwear).

That should amuse me later this evening.

Comment

It is the Australian edition that you will see on Discogs if you look there.

Comment

Finally managed to break the chains holding me back and get a dig in first of the year i think... found a new place which is showing a bit of promise...

Some well kent Oud shredding...

Jazzy exotica middle eastern thing...

Destined for the next redeeming feature, saved by a oddball organ dancer "La Pollera Amarilla" by Tulio E. Leon. Anyone know this guy is all his stuff like this?

Surprisingly groovy jewish folk tunes done by a beat band...

I got all excited when I found this, but on closer inspection it turns out to be that memphis brown beat band LP... which I have but I couldn't resist the cover!

Grooviest Chet Atkins?

Oh yeah... and this...

In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Wow. The Leaves!! In Edinburgh??
                            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Near by, I'll fill you in when I see you...
                              In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Working...
                              X