Lies, damn lies, and.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lies, damn lies, and.....

Bored at work today, I did a quick analysis of Finds threads here.

Vinyl maybe making a comeback, on the other hand…

Rekkids is drying up and/or diggers is drying up and/or diggers is getting lazy.

b/w

What happened in the Spring of 2012?

Or there is just less interest in listing find after find?
    "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post
      What happened in the Spring of 2012?
      Mark Llmod and Sie V simultaneously came back off their 'holidays'?

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
        Or there is just less interest in listing find after find?

What is the point of posting finds?
        Is it to show the world that you are buying 'good' and recognised records?
        Is it to show that you've done lots of leg work and tracked down that allusive record that everyone is after - or you've just been lucky and stumbled into the right place at the right time?
        Or are you plowing your own field and picking up things that are completely off the beaten track - but records that are difficult for people to comment on because they don't know/recognise them?

I love the finds threads and don't contribute enough to them. I love some record pron and I love to find out about things I didn't know were out there. I should definately comment more on posts I like, at least if only to show that they are being read.
        What I find very dull is lists of records with no supporting comments. I can browse through many other websites and see pictures of record sleeves.
        The trouble is, to write about your finds takes time and a little thought. I find I also need time to listen to the records and think a bit about them - I hate writing something like 'I need to listen to this more'!

I suspect that we aren't buying less - I certainly am not - but we are posting less. Perhaps because its time consuming, perhaps because its harder to be really original (I don't really believe this), perhaps because if we put effort into posting finds we want/expect more comeback.
        After all one of the reasons I post in the finds threads is to get some sort of validation for my habit/hobby/taste/luck - and if I don't get it then I might as well not post at all!

So, like most things in life, you get out what you put in and I think if we want to improve the finds threads we all need to start posting - but also commenting

Now, I have a boring meeting to go to.........
        "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

I would also say that the responses to finds have become very generic: either totally ignored or some variation on 'ooof', 'game over', etc. It's all become rather mechanical, and lacking in genuine enthusiasm. IMO, anyway. It's not easy to post pictures either.

That said, I do like looking at records and I wouldn't want to see the thread disappear.
          Last edited by ginghamkitchen; 27-02-2015, 10:49 AM.
          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Not only do I continually have trouble posting pictures but when I look at the site at work (shhh) the pictures are blocked 90% of the time. But I like looking at records. So I can see an argument that the thread has great potential which it is failing to deliver.

Part of the problem is often people post stuff right away and so there is no appreciation/ assesement so the poster is like everyone else, either they already know it or they don't. So in the first case you get the "wow amazing" comments or you get the uninformed looks interesting. What you don;t get it the first flush of enthusiasm for the music. I say that thinking back to the old charts on the vulture site where people would list records they'd bought in the last month that they liked or found interesting.

It'd wouldn't need a change in anything other than poster's approach to make the finds thread a place with a more informed commentary on recent purchases.
            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I'm not posting as much in the finds threads now, mainly because I'm really not buying many records at the moment. I'm still following the thread though. I know some on here see it as flossing, but I try and give what little bit of information I can, in the hope that someone else will expand upon it if possible, or recommend something else based on the post. In my experience this does happen -not always-, but it tends to be the same people that will follow up a post. That's fine by me. Obviously, this site was going many years before I signed up, and people who have been on here for a long time will probably have already been exposed to the sort of things I put up, by previous contributors. In my defence, I would point to the people like myself who haven't "seen it all before", and are still enthusiastic about finding out about good records whether they are expensive, rare, or cheapies. I'd also say that a lot of the music I pick up, is undeniably influenced by what I have encountered on this forum, the bulk of which has appeared in the finds thread. So thanks to everyone for continuing to post up. Mrs Treeboy would beg to differ
              Everyone tear down your own little wall
              That keeps you from being a part of it all
              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Well said Paul. Has Mrs Treeboy (or you even) seen your Utrecht interview?

I like the finds thread - Ok it's not like the old charts on VV where we had to deliberate over what to choose, actually 'review' the record, sort out images (not as easy then as now - believe me) and wait for it to appear when Chris or Sie had time. It's a lot easier now (again trust me on this) - I can even bung a pic on here when I'm still in the shop! Whilst this is progress and to be applauded I guess it does mean that people will just bung things up thinking 'I'll expand on that later' but don't - I'm certainly guilty of that.

I like to see everyones finds even if they are not to my taste or pocket or it looks like the poster has run through a charity shop covered in glue - I still like to see them. I've had so many good tips off these threads (both things to pick up and to be avoided) over the years and read a lot of entertaining content.

Keep it up I say and if you don't like it go and look at something else for a bit.
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                  Obviously, this site was going many years before I signed up, and people who have been on here for a long time will probably have already been exposed to the sort of things I put up, by previous contributors. In my defence, I would point to the people like myself who haven't "seen it all before", and are still enthusiastic about finding out about good records whether they are expensive, rare, or cheapies.)
                  I ´ve been here for ten years and the Finds thread still has loads of stuff I´ve never seen. Last month there was a whole page of finds of which I´d previously heard of just one record.

I don't contribute because I barely buy any records,but having done it a few times before I appreciate the effort everyone puts in.
                  Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

I don't contribute because I barely buy any records
                    Ditto - these days hunting them down/buying loads of the b*gg*rs is a thing of the past. But it's great to see what others are turning up on their travels.

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                      and people who have been on here for a long time will probably have already been exposed to the sort of things I put up, by previous contributors.
                      Not really. There's a lot of records in the world and buying patterns have changed anyway.

I'd be more likely to respond while taking a break form work with a cuppa if I could see the pics.
                      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I don't really have finds- being confined to a small town most of the time- but I like the finds thread. Like most on here I simply like looking at pictures of records and, like General Sternwood, in 'The Big Sleep', who can no longer drink himself but enjoys watching others drink, I get a vicarious pleasure in seeing people finds posted up. I don't really see it as a 'Look What I Got' thing, I see it more as a service. Head Gardener's visits to 'The Tip Shop' never fail to impress even though I wouldn't want most of the records he buys (where are such places; we don't even have a 'tip' anymore as it was a victim of the cuts), LDJB's scans of 45's, and encroyable finds from 'The Charity' on his 'way back from a post run' are a real treat and in addition to the photo he'll often tell you something about the record. Sonovox's regular mix of Modern classical, ethnic and pop is always interesting, and Amidar's been posting some nice selections lately.... whoever posts there is always something to be learnt. The knowledge these people impart may be esoteric to most but to people on this board it can be like gold dust. It's nice to see people are still finding things. We had a couple of charity shops in town with a bunch of records in. Very occasionally there would be some new stock, rarely much that was any good, but they don't have records at all now.
                        Inevitably some people will have more finds than others, and appear to be propping up the finds section but that's probably because they live in a city and have more access to second hand records, or they have handy access to a 'tip shop', or perhaps they work in a record shop and go to view people collections. As long as they don't mind propping it up I'm happy to keep looking, and learning.
                        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                          Head Gardener's visits to 'The Tip Shop' never fail to impress even though I wouldn't want most of the records he buys (where are such places; we don't even have a 'tip' anymore as it was a victim of the cuts)
                          I did pose this question a while back but no one chipped in with an answer - I'm guessing there is no such thing in London.

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
                            I did pose this question a while back but no one chipped in with an answer - I'm guessing there is no such thing in London.
                            Yes, I'd quite like to be able to walk in to a place and say " I'll take the entire contents of your floor for forty pounds", even if they had been trawled already. Even to do it only once, and to no particular end, I would feel I could say " I've lived"!
                            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                              Yes, I'd quite like to be able to walk in to a place and say " I'll take the entire contents of your floor for forty pounds", even if they had been trawled already. Even to do it only once, and to no particular end, I would feel I could say " I've lived"!
                              Indeed.

I reckon HG performs a valuable service rescuing records before they meet whatever grizzly end awaits after the tip shop can't shift them...

Comment

Working...
                              X