• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brainbomb
    Chocolate Rain
    • Jan 2005

Found 3 "ethnic" records today:

Indian ragas to the left, quite mellow and the addition of flute makes it stand out amongst the millions of similar records.

Then two records with Tibetan ritual music, both good but the middle one is amazing - dark deep droney chants and clanking/rattling percussion and totally solid. Never really realized industrial music was invented in Tibet centuries ago... The one to the right has some horns on it that sound very Cabaret Voltaire as well.

But put headphones on, turn up the volume and be prepared to be blown away:

"Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• Boi Bach o Bethel
      Electric Banana
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
      Found 3 "ethnic" records today:

Indian ragas to the left, quite mellow and the addition of flute makes it stand out amongst the millions of similar records.

Then two records with Tibetan ritual music, both good but the middle one is amazing - dark deep droney chants and clanking/rattling percussion and totally solid. Never really realized industrial music was invented in Tibet centuries ago... The one to the right has some horns on it that sound very Cabaret Voltaire as well.

But put headphones on, turn up the volume and be prepared to be blown away:

I purchased this years ago as it was sampled by the Beastie Boys on Ill Communication, but its an INCREDIBLE listen throughout . Well worth a punt and a great addition to any collection
      sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

• The Divine One
        Lonely Jelly
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
        I purchased this years ago as it was sampled by the Beastie Boys on Ill Communication, but its an INCREDIBLE listen throughout . Well worth a punt and a great addition to any collection
        Was this not the reason they started their Tibet charity? Since they couldn't work out the best way to distribute the sample fees, they started up a foundation...
        Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

• LDJB
          Chocolate Rain
          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by smashingcheesegromit View Post
          these from a local business to me,they sell alsorts of stuff,very rarely come up with records,had to buy these for £8,havent picked them up yet,so kinda of a pre-find,gonna update with conditions,the macarthy lp,s will prob be on their way to my dad
          I dig that Harvey Andrews LP - the great and the good of the UK sessioners on it too!
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Benicio Del Toffo
            Ugly Custard
            • Dec 2002

Quick round-up of my random purchases and a few generous trades with fellow Plussers.

Trades with Mr W. Fogg. Good taste in vinyl, better taste in football. As I've told WF, I've got the Kubisova already, so will be gifting that to someone else on the board to keep the good vibes rolling. Are we still allowed to pick up Bill Cosby related stuff now, even though he's clearly a wrong 'un (what is it with garish sweaters and sexual deviance?!)? Am I banned from playing 'Hickey Burr' now? Then again, I still bust out 'Rock and Roll pt 2' whenever I want.

Guess who I got obsessed with last week? I figure I've spent too long trying to look like Ian Brown or Keef, only to be disappointed. I've decided to make my aspirations more realistic and model myself on Lowell George. More PB sandwiches please!!

Got the Amalgam from Rob's last week. Didn't really know what to expect if I'm honest. One track almost remains locked in a groove, but mostly it's skronkery and has led to spousal botherment. Will be available to anyone with slightly more open ears than mine. The other three were from local chazzas last weekend. Quite like the Singers Unlimited, with Pat Williams on the arrangements. The Xian LP is probably well known round here: side one is awful, proper happy clappy nonsense, but side two is a 'Jazz for Jesus' affair with a few tracks that definitely wouldn't have been shamed by inclusion on 'Resurrection'. The MPS is just pedestrian piano jazz trio stuff that I knew was a mistake even as I handed the quid over!

My new policy is to allow one spuff per month (i.e. per salary) to pick off an item on my Wants list. This month was the Gemignani 'Modern Percussion' LP. Crazy stuff, funky jazz with breaks and grooves (mostly one theme repeated in variations over several tracks). The other Percussion LP is Gemignani related and is mostly atmospheric noodling, except for one bonkers track / passage on the 'Kama Soutra' side, got this one for cheap off ebay.fr. The Al Hirt LP, obviously famed for 'Harlem Hendoo', was from ebay.uk for less than the price of a sandwich (I was sole bidder) and has been on my Wants list for ages. Much more solid LP than I'd expected too. Happy days.
            Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

• Brainbomb
              Chocolate Rain
              • Jan 2005

Jealous of the 'Modern Percussion original, only have a reissue. The Al Hirt was a VV classic that eluded me for many years and when I finally found one - like you I found it much more to my liking than I expected.

Bill Cosby - yeah, that record is dope. I will allow myself to continue listening to it...
              "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
              and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• Headless mermaid
                Chocolate Rain
                • Mar 2005

Picked up one old school rap 12":

Ronnie Gee: Raptivity
                LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

• mr sayers
                  Chocolate Rain
                  • Jan 2005

Nice finds there Ben mate...I've got that 'One way' Xian thingy, as you know couple of great tracks on it, I've got Nige to thanks for putting me onto it.
                  "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• djh62uk
                    Green Onions
                    • Apr 2013

That'll teach me to do a quick reply - this was intended for Benicio Del Toffo back on page 1 of this thread...

I'll forgive you Terry Riley comment as you've just turned me on to Larry Page - specifically "Do it in Slow Motion" from Rampage - so good. Just hit the spot, Ta!

Comment

• Grim Lounge Cowboy
                      Lonely Jelly
                      • May 2014

Rampage would be a very satisfactory $1 bin find for that track.

Comment

• candiman
                        Electric Prunes
                        • Nov 2012

A trawl around the local chazzas just now which I will class as a success. And I've not had many of those recently.

Tubby Hayes - Return Visit! Original UK Mono press. Every possibility it was trashed looking at it, but at 50p it was worth the chance. Plays much better than it has any right to and a clean should improve it even more.

Ann Peebles - Tellin' It. OG UK again. Love Ann Peebles, have all her 45s I think but this is only my second album of hers and there are at least a couple of non 45 tracks.

Gladys Knight & The Pips - Nitty Gritty. Gladys has one of the great voices. Too bad she veered too close to MOR territory in the 70s.

All these from the same shop. A new guy behind the counter. I asked him if there had been any others I had missed. Yes he said he had had a few himself - mainly soul including Curtis , Millie J , Fontella Bass (which was trashed). He also likes a bit of Tubby Hayes. B*gger. So I obviously had his leftovers, the ones he didn't think were in good enough condition. Ann & Tubby will clean up OK, not so sure about Gladys its skipping at the mo, and looks like any chances of finding soul and jazz there in the future will be slim.

Jacques Dutronc - 24 Grands Succes Had seen Mr Dutronc get some mentions on here. Thought I would dip my toe in the water. Glad I did.

Comment

• amidar
                          Lonely Jelly
                          • Jun 2014

Nothing less than a result on the Tubby! Nice one.
                          Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• medlar
                            Chocolate Rain
                            • Dec 2005

Some parptastic German press easy gear

The New Ricardo Santos Sound
                            (Decca)

Horst Fischer - World Cup Trumpet
                            (Philips)

100% parp. "Dragnet" is great fun.

Berry Lipman & his Orchestra - The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
                            (BASF)

Very good! Equal part parp and decent beats

some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• smashingcheesegromit
                              Electric Prunes
                              • Apr 2007

update from my last post..took out the trash,the others left were in mint condition,which was worth the punt..plus some others from todays chazza finds

the deroy is an acetate,school girl choir unfortunately :0(
                              ------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Comment

• Head Gardener
                                Lonely Jelly
                                • Jan 2004

These are just some of the great singles I bought at a record fair today - they came from a Music Publishers
                                clear-out (50p each) there were a lot of unknown acetates too and plenty to sell on but these were some of my keepers

demo of the first Monty Python related 7"?

note the mis-spelling of Pele

at last! my first and only cricket related record

1968 Argo Records promo - signed on the back by an Argo label big-wig (probably)

the one and only record released by the great actress

quite bizarre that when they were not releasing Queen records EMI were knocking out singles like this

one sided test pressing of the TV advert by Darth Vader

this single just bombed upon release

B side of US issue of Coney Island Baby

the original issue date caught my eye

great sleeve for this French EP
                                The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X