June Finds 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Medicine Weasel View Post

Mixed bag of punts from a recent camping trip to North Wales. Highly recommended if anyone is yet to venture to that part of the country!

A few stand out moments on the Sain comp, 'Endaf Emlyn - Laura' has got summer anthem written all over it! Also enjoying a few tracks on 'Shades of Magenta', jangly-indie-country-pop on a private, but struggling to find any info / tracks. Hoped 'Lori Wells - I Gotcha' was going to be a winner with Theme from Shaft as the opener but quickly descends into a medley nightmare. The others are fairly tepid country / folk vibes.
    The Sain comp is a blinder. Great way to get a superior sounding take of Brans Pop glam stomper Tocyn. Heather Jones at her vocal best. Morys Elfryn channeling a mid walian Scott Walker and Edward H Dafis channeling the Tebot Piws in their satyretastic Ty haf.

A lot of grate that comes from the slate
    sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonovox View Post

Lovely stuff - I do enjoy these kind of finds!!
      "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

• Out of my latest stack of finds .This was the last one un-played, inadvertently I'd left the best until last. Welsh private from '84, progressive jazz rock.

Image courtesy of Discogs.
        record licker

Comment

• Eleven from me.

Francis Bebey—Pygmy Lovesong
          Probably the rarest of the records I've bought recently. Odd songs with charming synthpop arrangements.

Markko Polo Adventures—Orienta
          It was great to see this on Fuz's exotica mix bumped today. By no means a one tracker. It's wildness is kind of balanced by a cowboy saloon vibe. Definitely an oddity.

The King Sisters—Imagination
          Forgettable aside from the one track where the matron's attempt soul/spiritual which is great and sounds fantastic loud (Sweet and Slow). I think it's worth picking up for this!

The Sandie Shaw Supplement
          A gift from Ian Townsend. Thanks.

Various—Surprise Partie
          Another gift. Some good songs on this.

The Outriggers—Golden Hits Of Hawaii
          A find on the way to work. It's good, one of the strongest Hawaii sounding LPs I've heard. Ace sleeve notes:
          This sextet of young men, with their guitars, vibes, Hammond organ and exotic percussion, were born with the “wake-me-when-I’m-done” beach boy attitude. They took up the ukulele only when they discovered shinnying up cocoanut palms was tough on the thighs. They abhor vigour (or would, if abhoring weren’t such tough work these days).
          The Outriggers play with eyelids at half mast.
          In other words, you shouldn’t expect any tremendous big crashes and bangy loud noises in this album. The Outriggers don’t know how to work that hard. They… (YAWN)… well! the mood’s kinda catchy.
          Just put on the album and relax, like a good guy.
          There is a certain sloppiness to it.

Laurindo Almeida & The Bossa Nova Allstars—Viva Bossa Nova!
          Did someone recommend me this here? I don't know. It's alrgith. I can't remember buying it.

Bill Faith—A Guitar To Remember
          Very low key guitar exotica but with a couple of rythmic shufflers that slink around very satisfyingly. The Trolley Song is ace.

Billy Mure—Supersonic Guitars
          Some space-age crackers. As you might expect, not shy of effects. Sleeve totally ruined by unecessary STEREO banner.

Enoch Light—Provocative Percussion 3
          There it is, perfect Albers sleeve. Not the best LP in the Command staple but adds to the collection.

Oscar The Grouch—Let A Frown Be Your Umbrella
          Check this out, from a minute in, fucking beautiful from the Grouch:

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Nice one tiddles
            I'd be a bit grouchy too if I had a builders bum in my gob. Got to love Oscar.
            Everyone tear down your own little wall
            That keeps you from being a part of it all
            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• Originally posted by eine View Post
              The King Sisters—Imagination
              Forgettable aside from the one track where the matron's attempt soul/spiritual which is great and sounds fantastic loud (Sweet and Slow). I think it's worth picking up for this!
              I think it's worth picking up for this:

Assuming it's on the LP? I only have the related EP. Anyway, I wouldn't class it as forgettable -- ??!*@!!$?? as they used to say but would probably use some kind of emoticon for nowadays.

Nice finds BTW!

Comment

• Just about caught up with the albums last time around - here's a few addenda and mostly 7s - another mixed bag from the interweb and assorted chazzas...let's begin with a bit of summertime chicken surfin' stuff....

Various - 'Strummin' Mental! Vol 5'

Ah yes, I well remember Peely playing the hell out of this compy back when it was released and I'm sure glad he did - apart from the above obvious favourite of mine it also contains Beep Beep & The Roadrunners' 'Shiftin' Gears' and The Jaguars doing 'Jaguars' - surftastic!...

...a couple of cheapy 12's for pennies...

Mono - 'High Life' - Late 90's stuff is cheaper than chips (fact!) at the moment so why not fill yer boots?...you may remember Mono, a post easy revival duo of clever clever cute cuties who were probably a bit too perfect for their own good - this song was a perfect fusion of 'Downtown' and 'The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore' but is totally unrecognisable here when remixed to the point of abstraction in the New Century Long Dub Mix...an ominous and krautesque synth groan precedes a headlong rush into drum driven noise madness...sounds better now than it did then...

Len - 'Feelin' Alright' - I loved Len's 'You Can't Stop The Bum Rush' album - a cartoony jumble of styles including power pop, a bonafide summer hit, retro old school hip-hop/electro and even a jokey Kraftwerk pastiche - 'Feelin' Alright' was probably among the weaker tracks, but 'Man Of The Year' featuring a guest appearance by Biz Markie and plenty of vocoder action is the draw here...

...two picture discs (50p each)....

Marc Bolan - 'You Scare Me To Death'- when is this from? I was expecting some sixties Bolan going by the picture, but this is pretty much everyday post golden age T Rex with a messy production...

Melanie - 'Every Breath Of The Way' -Apparently Melanie on the comeback trail in the eighties - a questionable decision....

...45s...

Line et Willy - 'Pourquoi Pas Nous?' - Songs written for song contests are rarely any good and this is no exception, but 'Gregory' from this EP is a pleasant duet and sounds familiar from somewhere that I can't quite recall...

Marianne Faithfull - 'Come And Stay With Me' - typical jangle folk 60s Marianne...doesn't really float my boat...

Shadows Of Knight - 'Shake' - nice bit of scuzzy bubblegum owned by seemingly every DJ in the world except me, until now...

'Jamais Le Dimanche' B.O.F. EP - Mr Hadjidakis' tune has become as familiar as taverna wallpaper, but it sounds good here in its original setting, propelled along by Merlina Mercouri's throaty warbling...

The Equals - 'Viva Bobby Joe' - British bubblegum from quality popsters whose output is criminally underrated I reckon - no hidden freakbeat gems here but I couldn't just leave it now could I?

The Associates - 'Breakfast' - 'Since when did you cook breakfast for Lieutenant Paul in ruined mirador?'...Last Christmas, I found myself really missing the superb voice and angular lyrics of Billy Mackenzie - that he is lost to us while D*ran D*ran plot yet another tour is all the evidence you could require that life is just not fair - this single from the splendidly overblown epic that is the 'Perhaps' album was as much a flop as the rest of the enterprise (it's worth reading the story of that album) but ironically I bought this for the instrumental B side which stands as a great Euro-pop melody in it's own right - 'Perhaps' deserves a quality re-release that restores the instrumental versions only included on the cassette version...

Wah! - 'The Story Of The Blues' - Pete Wylie...he was the future of rock & roll he was...I like the scale and ambition of this single....

Jake Thackray - 'Joseph' - a Christmas offering from the Yorkshire genius - not his best perhaps but it's good to find anything by Jake on vinyl...

Desmond Dekker - 'You Can Get It' - at the turn of the 80s, I worked in a Working Mens Club where my Dad was elected to the committee when an effort was made to up the quality of the 'turns' on offer - after a great show from Mungo Jerry (after which I got to have a pint and a chat with Ray Dorset), Desmond Dekker was booked...I was so excited...but he never showed up...regrets? - I've had a few....

Kate Bush - 'Running Up That Hill' - For me, KB peaked with 'The Dreaming' so I still find this a tad disappointing...

Prince - 'Girls & Boys' - The title was an open goal for His Purpleness, but he fluffed it and it would be some years before Blur got it in the right order...

Billy Joel - 'All For Leyna' - I hate BJ's schmaltzy stuff as much as the next man, but I like him when he's SHOUTY and ANGRY...and here he's very SHOUTY...perhaps it's a 'shortarse' thing...great synth solo too...

Coldcut - Re:Evolution - Loud and punky general election cut up that managed to pass me by at the time...

Paddy Roberts - 'Strikes Again' - Mildly amusing innuendo loaded ditties from Mr R.

The Jesus & Mary Chain - 'Some Candy Talking' EP - The Chain sounded dirty and dangerous back then - these days it sounds a bit tinny and weak tbh...

Creedence Clearwater Revival - 'Bad Moon Rising' - one of my least favourite CCR songs - why did I bother?

...the good stuff...

Serge Gainsbourg/Jean-Claude Vannier - 'La Horse' - I was on a bit of a sabbatical from vinyl when this snuck out and consequently I only had to pay about twice what you miserable skinflints were complaining about when it appeared - but look at it, look at it's minty, still sealed, numbered limited edition goodness...well I'd had a good run of cheapies, hadn't I?

The Para Band - 'Nazi Hunter' - Proper chuffed with this find - remember the 'Ungoogleable records' thread? Well this is the one I found a copy of for sale on Discogs while linking to the scant information that is available about it during my post so I had to strike as it had been 37 years since I'd first heard Peel play it... I was surprised that I remembered it so well in my head during that time...the record (a private press) appeared in 78 (300 pressed?), although it appears to have been recorded in '76 - nothing too amazing, just a very good pop song with a bit of attitude, an unusual scenario and some decent guitar wrestling - wish I could link to it, but it just isn't possible...

Dennis Coffey - 'Getting It On' - another great funky double header from the ever reliable Mr Coffey...

Stereolab - 'Kyberneticka Babicka' - if there's a positive about the 'Lab taking an indefinite hiatus it's the chance to finally catch up with their prolific output....here we find them reducing the Beach Boys and The Beatles down to their very essence over 2 sides of a 45 - hypnotic stuff...

Last edited by giantchicken; 19-06-2015, 01:16 AM.
                you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

• I unearthed another in the series 'Ole Bossa Nova' a month or so back same line up and similar cover but couldn't tell you off hand which came first. I've quite enjoyed it and mine came with an illustrated booklet teaching you how to samba which is always useful.
                  Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• Originally posted by eine View Post
                    Various—Surprise Partie
                    Another gift. Some good songs on this.
                    The very album that turned me on to yeye, in particular Stella's 'Pourquoi Pas Moi?' - that's Stella Vander! Oh and Les Cyclones have Jacques Dutronc on guitar...

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                    Nice one tiddles
                    I'd be a bit grouchy too if I had a builders bum in my gob. Got to love Oscar.
                    Treeboy, you and Oscar are just pessimists - remember; one man's builders bum is another man's barmaids cleavage...great find though Eine - that sleeve would be up on my wall...
                    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

• Originally posted by relkeel View Post
                      Out of my latest stack of finds .This was the last one un-played, inadvertently I'd left the best until last. Welsh private from '84, progressive jazz rock.

Image courtesy of Discogs.
                      I was completely unaware of this LP before this post. One of the things I love about the finds thread.
                      https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

• Originally posted by moecurlythanu View Post
                        I was completely unaware of this LP before this post. One of the things I love about the finds thread.

WHATS THE WELSH CONNECTION? (other than a mid 70s Man album)
                        sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

• Originally posted by amidar View Post
                          Not been a great week of Record finds for me so I resorted to buying some cd's of early 90's library music. A chazza in Whitchurch had a load in mainly Bruton and KPM at 1.50 each so thought they might be worth a punt. I bought 7 in all and left around 5 or 6 of the less promising titles behind. These are the only 2 on discogs:

http://www.discogs.com/Dave-Hewson-D...elease/3120211

http://www.discogs.com/Andy-Quin-Vid...elease/4909953

Anyway been having a listen and its a bit of a mixed bag but there are some good bits and pieces. Already found a nice intro piece for a possible end of year mix and there is a great tune on one that goes a bit mad with digital sfx. Should have picked the others up I like the whole nostalgia of this kind of late eighties/early nineties General MIDI stuff.

Love those Jazz Catalogues by the way, what a lovely thing to have were they a car boot find?
                          I've done similar - quite a large amount in a local chazza. A lot from some obscure Italian libraries. Mainly tepid techno.
                          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

• Originally posted by Medicine Weasel View Post

'Lori Wells - I Gotcha' was going to be a winner with Theme from Shaft as the opener but quickly descends into a medley nightmare.
                            Indeed - another tepid one. Years ago I had it but gave it to a board member who might have enjoyed it more. Though I doubt it, but it fitted their specific collecting jones.
                            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

• It seems I get to do this once a year these days.. the second hand stuff from the last couple weeks, all from various local sources..

Always glad to fill the gaps in my Coltrane collection, Mingus is an interesting concept album from 1960, including versions of his early compositions, among the soloists are such hotshots as Yusef Lateef ,Ted Curson & Eric Dolphy to begin with. Og mono copy. Although I quit buying Hammond jazz albums in general years ago I couldn't leave behind this beautiful, ultra crisp French copy (on Sue) of Jimmy Mcgriff yesterday.

Experience (Vogue 1970) - nice 2lp, a bit patchy but quite enjoyable organ -heavy, groovy French prog/psych
                              Peppermint Rainbow - Will You Be Staying After Sunday (Decca 1969) - forgettable 1960 AM pop - a minor disappointment after reading a few favorable reviews
                              Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off (Blue Note 1962) - a stone cold jazz classic, og mono copy that i got almost for the price of a recent reissue - playing (again) as I type, actually
                              Catch My Soul OST - finally took a punt on this - and I'm glad I did, an excellent, religious themed soundtrack presented in the familiar swamp funk manner of Tony Joe White.
                              Jan Johansson - In Pleno (Megafon 1964) - happy to cross this one off the list yesterday, one of the better outings by this late Swedish jazz legend, if you ask me
                              Jim Pembroke - Party Upstairs (Johanna 1981) - ok'ish solo album by the former Wigwam frontman, getting quite scarce these days

Bought a healthy stack of 45s, still working on the lot (non-ps stuff not pictured) - really a mixed bag.. so far the highlights include (obviously) De Maskers's Batman, Neil Christian, og demo copy of Instant Party, Swedish og of Lars Lystedt's The Runner and the Finnish pressing of Les Sunlights' Caravan which i didn't know excisted...

Non-pictured non-ps stuff:
                              Alan Price Set -Put A Spell On You (Decca)
                              Small Faces – Ive Got Mine (Decca uk demo)
                              Nervous Norvus – Ape Call (London)
                              Champs – Midnighter/El Ranco Rock (Decca – French pressing)
                              Napoleon XIV – They're Coming.. (WB)
                              Shadows of Knight – Shake (Team)
                              Pentangle – Once I Had.. (BigT)
                              East of Eden – Ramadhan (Deram uk demo)
                              Butterflies – Who Killed Hottentott? (Odeon Sweden)
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_joYw0b7s
                              Mustangs – The Darrell Stomp (Providence)
                              Blue Mink – Mind Your Business (Regal)
                              Cliffters – Django (Philips)
                              Yardbirds – For Your Love (Columbia uk)
                              Oliver – Jean (Crewe) – loving the flip on this:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTOdbnUG4uY
                              ? & the Mysterians – I Need Somebody (Cameo)
                              The Who – Instant Party (Brunswick)
                              Les Sunlights – Caravan (Decca Fin)
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTxVjgxQEeI
                              Troggs – I cant Control Myself (Fontana) – Finnish p.
                              Troggs – Anyway You Want Me (Fontana)
                              Harumi Nagase – Manchurian Beat (Liberty) – red vinyl, Japanese p.?
                              Small Faces – Patterns[/B] (Decca uk)
                              Beach Boys – Sloop John B. (Capitol)
                              Shiva – Legend of Tutankhamun (Dart)
                              The aural history of the sex life of a cosmic corn popper

Comment

• A wealth of amazing records there blue burt. I would love a copy of Caravan by Les Sunlights, Finnish or not!

@sonovox, giant chicken, amidar—thanks! You're right Sonovox, that is a great track, it slipped my ears when I was running through it first time, and instead played Sweet and Slow about five times. Giant Chicken... Girls & Boys is (one of) the best Prince songs!
                                Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Working...
                                X