No announcement yet.

August Finds 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few back, while visiting friends in Perth, we nipped down to Freemantle, I think it was Record Finder we went to. They had a 301 on a plinth tucked away under a shelf. I pulled it out and had a look. I looked over at the shop owner. He looked back and asked what I had found. At that point I don't think he knew what it was. I had no way of getting it home anyway. He told me he didn't know if it worked or not (the dust led me to believe it had been tucked away and forgotten about. He obviously saw something in my expression, as a couple of minutes later, after I had reluctantly slid it back into its hiding place, he told me "maybe I'll get my mate to come down, have a look at that old one, see if he can do something with it". His mate being the chap who fixes the old record players people bring in. Game over. Then again, it might still be gathering dust.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Where were you when I needed you!

Comment

Or, rather, where was I when I needed you but didn't know it!

Comment

Record finder has some good stuff.

Generally not cheap, though.

Unlike me.

Comment

From the same chazzer as the Vince ‘n Bola…

“The Sound of Sunshine” by the Sunshine Band. Ex+/VG+.

I approached this as a straightforward exercise in grip and flip. As it turns out, a couple of the tracks are better than I expected. This would be the highlight.

Who knew (apart from AfromanDisco)?

If I get bored I might try pitching it down. See if that adds more grunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Funktionnaire View Post
              Where were you when I needed you!
              In Record Finder There was another place with some nice old turntables upstairs. Hills? Would that be the place? They had a beautiful Deco monster gramophone. Big enough to consider emigrating and building a house around it. The moment passed quite quickly.

Comment

Haven't posted anything here for ages, and usually don't have time to do things justice in the way that many of you, but having just come back from the States and Canada with over 50 LPs, thought it best to flash a few around to show y'all what can be had out there for next to nothing!!

I spent a fair amount of time feeling stupid for paying more for postage on so many American records over the years than I did for the vinyl itself and thought sadly of how much I cou;d\'ve saved over the years if only I'd been patient enough to wait until I was in situ! Ho hum.

Anyway, here's the first batch.
                A mix of wants, random finds, doubles for friends and the like.
                Feel free to ask if there's anything you want the lowdown on . . .

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

jakartajive: Wouldn't mind knowing a little bit about The Happenings record, actually! I found a couple of non-album 45s here from them which had a nice punch, and that album seemed to be the best regarded - was interested to know if it swung more to pop or rock.

Comment

Originally posted by spacefin View Post
                    jakartajive: Wouldn't mind knowing a little bit about The Happenings record, actually! I found a couple of non-album 45s here from them which had a nice punch, and that album seemed to be the best regarded - was interested to know if it swung more to pop or rock.
                    It's basically fairly lush, groovy period piece harmony pop with the odd wash of psychedelia added into the mix to keep up with the times.
                    No serious rocking outing - or freaking out - on there, but they do stretch out on occasion and let loose.

There's things like this which you think is settling into a satori-Zen candle mind chill session until five minutes in it kicks into jazz scatting and then the echo box kicks in before the jazzy piano outro.

This is one of the more upbeat tracks - bongo-bashing guitar skitter with more soaring harmonies:

So not deadly or essential, but a nice listen.

Comment

• Nice haul (so far) Hugh. Love the Sweetwater lp. Really like that Living in darkness track you posted up. To my shame I've never heard the Bob Mosley lp, what's that like?.

Comment

• Paul Desmond - "After Dark". VG+/VG+

Early 70's comp. Three tracks from "Take Ten" stand out. "Theme from Black Orpheus", "Samba De Orfeu" and "Alone Together". Desmond is a joy to hear, but if this LP is any guide his choice of tunes didn't help him. The Brazilian aspect provides a lilt that serves him well. I'll be looking out to upgrade this. And perhaps pick up the full "Take Ten".

Comment

• Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                          Nice haul (so far) Hugh. Love the Sweetwater lp. Really like that Living in darkness track you posted up. To my shame I've never heard the Bob Mosley lp, what's that like?.
                          Pretty good, and I guess in keeping with later Moby Grape stuff.

Veers into swampy country funk / soul in places, like on his take of Gypsy Wedding, which I prefer to the Grape's heavier take on the track ...

And this kind of vibe continues elsewhere . . .

Not sure about his sexual politics, mind!!!!

Not a patch on vintage Grape, but nice to have.

Comment

• Some more of the great North American record binge haul . . .

Comment

• And the rest of them . . .

Comment

• Digging in Ystad on a Sat morning. There are no record shops left since Gunillas Skivshop closed a couple of years ago, so I don't know where Wallander gets his opera fixes nowadays.
                                The square market usually has a stall with records. I was hoping for the friendly 45s guy, but he was not around. Instead, a stall with about 10 boxes of LP, all priced meticulously between 5-20 kr (40p-£1.50). And there was nothing there that I would want to take home for 40p. Well, this one, which had a price tag of 50kr (£4), then reduced to 20 which was scratched down to 10kr (75p). Probably because of the mysterious spill down the front. After cleaning it down it looks better than on this photo, and can actually be handled without gloves. The record was actually in NM condition.
                                This is another installment in the story of trying to get into The Replacements. I have a couple of friends who are into them, but no matter how I try I just don't get it.

------------------------------------------------------
                                "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X