Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

September Finds 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Linha's appear on site in (from memory) the classical thread.

    Comment


    • Galapagos Duck – “The Removalists”. Ex+/Ex+.

      I picked this up a couple of days ago.

      I move records on often enough, and generally with no qualms. I did have seller’s regret regarding this Duck. But it wasn’t that strong. Seeing “Katy did” on Youtube wouldn’t have swung it if I hadn’t also seen a clean copy shortly afterwards. The clincher was that it was a trade for a couple of VV staples not readily found here and a couple of other bits and pieces (which I have already forgotten).

      I am surprised to see that "Katy did" hasn’t featured in a swap before. Too obvious, perhaps? I won’t call dibs on it, but it is a contender.

      Comment


      • Bah, just finished recording it on the off chance it hadn't made an Xmas swap but database say yes.

        Originally posted by bongolia View Post
        Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

        Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

        Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

        Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

        Comment


        • I bought a first press of this today as I remembered it from this thread, completely unique like an early 'John Cooper Clarke' crossed with 'Ivor Cutlor' and myriad of artists and singers from all over Europe, he must have been a wonderful teacher.

          Hailing from the same neck of the woods it seemed to connect straightaway, wonderful wordplay that had me laughing out loud at points. I would never have bought this or anything by him otherwise the cover belays the content within. Cheers GC, Jake truly made my day.

          Originally posted by giantchicken View Post
          60 million euros.....sounds impressive doesn't it......until you realise that at current exchange rates*, that translates into £27.68 GBP....probably just about enough to buy Ben's Lemon Drizzle Cake pictured above...tempting....


          Jake Thackray - 'The Last Will and Testament Of...' - Yippee, the vinyl gods answered my prayers for another Jake Thackray and here's a very nice copy of his first album. When I was a kid I always figured Jake as a little weird, I mean he was too old to be a pop star but then his songs seemed to make too much sense for an old person. He was twenty-nine when he recorded this so I now hear him as a young man and realise what a complete one-off he was, and how much he was influenced by French songwriters, chiefly Brassens - some superb stuff on here, including his 'Brit Bossa' entry 'Scallywag' (see that thread) and little gems like 'The Cactus'...



          And finally.....

          'The Warriors' (OST)
          Microdisney - 'The Clock Comes Down The Stairs'


          Two from 'Vinyl Planet' that didn't meet my stringent 'crackle emissions' control and so will have to be returned....hey!...I'm not working today!...let's go to MACCLESFIELD!!!....

          Don't fret - there's still plenty of catching up to do....

          *I'm not much good with money - this figure is from my accountants at Leech Brothers, who've done a great job of keeping me just clear of the poverty line for over 40 years now...
          Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

          Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

          Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

          Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

          Comment


          • Originally posted by amidar View Post
            I bought a first press of this today as I remembered it from this thread, completely unique like an early 'John Cooper Clarke' crossed with 'Ivor Cutlor' and myriad of artists and singers from all over Europe, he must have been a wonderful teacher.

            Hailing from the same neck of the woods it seemed to connect straightaway, wonderful wordplay that had me laughing out loud at points. I would never have bought this or anything by him otherwise the cover belays the content within. Cheers GC, Jake truly made my day.
            A pleasure. Amidar - I'm only surprised that a fellow of your calibre hadn't encountered him earlier. I personally find having a sense of 'Yorkshireness' (and being of a certain age) are distinct advantages in appreciating the finer nuances of JT's work, but they're certainly not essentials - enjoy!
            you can hear colours when they rhyme...

            Comment


            • Always seen the albums around especially the first but somehow always dismissed them as something completely different. I have vague recollections of him on TV the more I've youtubed turning 40 certainly helps, despite him being 29 when he recorded his first.

              My 70 odd year old fellow Leeds born dad's reaction to my new found love "Yeah I remember him, always on 'Yorkshire TV, rubbish!" haha.

              Originally posted by giantchicken View Post
              A pleasure. Amidar - I'm only surprised that a fellow of your calibre hadn't encountered him earlier. I personally find having a sense of 'Yorkshireness' (and being of a certain age) are distinct advantages in appreciating the finer nuances of JT's work, but they're certainly not essentials - enjoy!
              Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

              Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

              Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

              Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

              Comment


              • Originally posted by amidar View Post
                "Yeah I remember him, always on 'Yorkshire TV, rubbish!"
                ...yup, that's precisely what I was talking about!....
                you can hear colours when they rhyme...

                Comment


                • He was a revelation to me when I first heard him via a friend lending me a CD. My thoughts on Jake from a while ago are on my blog:
                  https://downstairslounge.wordpress.c...jake-thackray/
                  The Downstairs Lounge
                  http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                  http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

                  Comment


                  • Nice read thanks Agnes, I have the joys of 'Jakes Progress' on the way and 'Bantam Cock' too. Your'e right there is something a lot deeper as you peel away the layers of mirth. I like the wonderful what I can only described as a kind of non-plussed but happy melancholy.

                    Northern or not he's a bit marmite but I would wager there's something anyone over 25 can relate to on his first album.

                    Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
                    He was a revelation to me when I first heard him via a friend lending me a CD. My thoughts on Jake from a while ago are on my blog:
                    https://downstairslounge.wordpress.c...jake-thackray/
                    Last edited by amidar; 20-02-2016, 11:20 AM. Reason: Thanks :)
                    Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

                    Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

                    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

                    Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X