No announcement yet.

September Finds 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn .... you could have had the j.j light mate . Lovely finds ... Joe Beck is a wonderful record
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post
      Niagara for a quid, top find and a nice STS too, bet you were buzzin!
      Game over ... great stuff!
      https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
      http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
      https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
      https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
        Id say the its in the top ten ooooooooooooooofffffffffffffs

Sid James approved
        sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Originally posted by Sie-Fly View Post
          Damn .... you could have had the j.j light mate . Lovely finds ... Joe Beck is a wonderful record
          Only just cottoned on to Joe Beck. Liked the sound of the Acid Archives write up, so went looking. Waiting on a copy of the Sabicas Rock Encounter lp, which also sounds interesting.
          Everyone tear down your own little wall
          That keeps you from being a part of it all
          Because you've got to be one with the one and all
          You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post
            Niagara for a quid, top find and a nice STS too, bet you were buzzin!
            Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
            Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
            Id say the its in the top ten ooooooooooooooofffffffffffffs

Sid James approved
            Recently I had been wondering whether it was nearly game over inasmuch as on the charity shop trawling front as they have been barren all year. This has recharged my faith batteries quite nicely!

(My dad had a strong likeness to Sid James we were often told, of course that meant he had to practice the laugh.)

Comment

I thought that one only resided on Utrecht sellers "walls". Top "proper" find. A lesson for us all there.
              Everyone tear down your own little wall
              That keeps you from being a part of it all
              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Popped into a useless chazzer Saturday thinking why do I keep checking here. Then oof my bolly 45 collections increases somewhat. This hits from old movies series are bolly too :

im still going through it but i has lovely stuff like this :

:

which has a number of RD Burman compositions on liek this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR4W1b-4OuE

Then slim pickings at this mornings booter but they were budget price :

Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Good lord. Niagara for a quid. That was supposed to happen to me.
                  All the Wolpertingers

Comment

I picked up these nice old school choir albums today but couldn't find anything about them online - does anyone know more?!
                    The first one is from 1979 on Cherish and Vol. 2 is on SB Records and was released in 1982

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

I'd not heard of that before, is verr nice

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

So Candiman finds 'Niagara' for a quid - must admit that one had gone under my radar, but having checked Youtube I can see it's a great find - excellent work fella, your perseverance paid off, more than a little karma involved there, I daresay. Well done to you too Eclipsechaser, a fantastic Bollywood horde...perhaps the vinyl gods were smiling on the chazzadiggers this weekend? Hmmmm...Let's interrupt my catch-up to bring you right up to date

Today's find: (hey, some chazzas are open on Sunday y'know...)

Zizi Jeanmaire - 'Les Grandes Chansons' - My second Zizi album in a few months, you never used to see them - are all the British beatniks of the late 50s/early 60s dying out? This one was rather grubby but reacted well to a good cleaning - lacks a bit of atmosphere compared to the other I bought (a live album), but I warmed to it as it went on and got progressively swingier - the last track 'Je suis la femme' might even get a spin out...

It was my birthday on Friday and having had a pretty long and tiring workday, I wasn't in much of a mood for partying (not that anyone was available to join me if I had been) so I consoled myself by treating myself to a 45 from the States - it was a BIN at about 5 or 10 quid over the usual, but it was described as mint (yeah, right) and you don't see it often - it tends not to hang around, so I bit - you can wait until it arrives to find out!

Saturday morning I felt a bit guilty at my profligate spending and resolved to get back to some good cheap chazza digging - I identified three shops I'd never visited and as it turned out only one had vinyl and a decent amount too....here's what I came home with...

Some 45s...

Nothing amazing - all 60s stuff but all in pretty good condition....

Cilla Black - Anyone Who Had A Heart
                        The Ivy League - Tossing And Turning
                        Sandie Shaw - Girl Don't Come
                        Gerry & The Pacemakers - Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying
                        The Hollies - Just One Look
                        Petula Clark - Downtown
                        Gene Pitney - I'm Gonna Be Strong
                        I'd imagine at least a couple of these are potential upgrades, haven't checked yet....

Albums...

I've always been a bit envious of those (like Eclipsechaser) who routinely seem to run into Indian records and have Bollywood collections, yesterday, it seemed my luck had changed - but since I hardly had a clue what I was looking at it was a case of choose a few and hope...in terms of getting a sense of Bengali music it seems I chose well...had to do a fair bit of googling to find out even what they were though!

Kazi Nazrul Islam - 'Bengali Songs'

Nazrul was known as 'The Rebel Poet' through his association with, and activism (and imprisonment) for, anti-imperialist causes - this album compiles work from a long period - for non-speakers of Bengali, the simpler tabla and sitar works and those featuring female vocals are perhaps the most instantly attractive...

Hemanta Mukharjee - 'Hemanta - A Legend Of Glory'

Bengali film music over three decades, by a master of the genre and possessor of a beautiful singing voice - you can hear the evolution of the sound, there's melodious use of woodwind and strings and even a few western percussion instruments starting to creep in; a pleasant and relaxing listening experience...

Shankar Jaikishan - OST 'Andaz'

The much more familiar territory of Hindi movies - looks to be a kind of Bollywood 'Sound Of Music' going by the sleeve and the yodelling on the opening track which translates as 'Life Is A Journey' - reverb drenched vocals, Asha Bhosle etc...good fun...

And also...

Janet Jackson - 'Rhythm Nation 1814' - had always liked Janet Jackson's mid 80's Jam & Lewis period and was looking forward to continuing the trip - unfortunately, despite appearances this copy is less 'well nasty' and in fact just ...well....nasty....

Pete Moore Orchestra - 'Exciting Sounds Of Tomorrow' - either a spare or if it's better than my current one (it was) then an upgrade...

...and then this happened...

Getting towards the end of the shop's vinyl stash, I encountered a record with no sleeve - taking a quick look inside the bag, I recognised the album and had a little 'oooft' moment...the condition seemed good so I thought, 'O...K..... I'll just pay for these and make my way home....'

Took it home and after just a minimal dry clean...

I was looking at a VG++/EX....OG of...

Marcos Valle - 'Garra' -yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and then I noticed....there, you can see, in the photo, inscribed in the run-off, 'LITA 091'......i.e. Light In the Attic....i.e. the 2013 reissue....tell me, what kind of sick, sadistic b*st*rd goes around leaving stuff like that in charity shops getting me all excited? Huh?....ah, well, mustn't grumble I guess, it's still a pretty decent score for a quid, even without the sleeve, but really....and just think, this will happen more and more in the future...

Still plenty more to come...
                        you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

blimey Niagra for a quid is a bargain. Top marks. You too tree boy.
                          Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Hank Mobley: Dippin. Early black n light blue issue fairly cheap. I'm not mad.

Comment

recent vinyl finds

Not the soundtrack to the recent Channel 4 series but an album of sound FX featuring
                              sex & violence and err, auctions.

Ain't nothing going on here but Cornish verse and music, thankfully these Minstrels are not blacked up.

This album released on Pama in the late 60's features popular tunes of the day,
                              The Red & White Minstrels and How To Cure a Nagging Wife

Just when I thought I had every stereo test record ever made I find one
                              I'd never seen before - released through a magazine in the late 60's

These were the pick of 3 Chet Baker albums I won in a local auction at the weekend,
                              both are sealed recent re-issues - they were in with a lot of other Jazz stuff
                              but these were the ones I really wanted, £24 well spent for 15 albums.

This is the Dutch 12" version of the single that was a UK hit in 1979
                              it's a bit of a shame that it just has the same 4 tracks.

I took a 50p punt on this as I'd not seen/heard of it before and it turns
                              out to be quite scarce, but it was it's B side Come Inside which I preferred.

Along with the 2 school choir albums I found at the weekend was this 7" which features
                              the best known UK school choir (at least since 1979) I never knew they were on another
                              record as I'd always thought There's No-one Quite Like Grandma was their only release,
                              so you can only imagine how proud I was to discover this then!

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Walked down the first row at the car boot on Sunday, thinking 'going to be nothing here, why do I bother, waste of time..'. 20 minutes later I'd spent all me cash. everything 50p - £1, was good.

Couple of boxes of dancehall 45s from a clearance geezer, so dipped in as not bought any dancehall for years. Yet to properly go through, but some nice stuff here.

Next up, someones husband getting rid of his 7's, so i helped him out. Pleased with the Eric B 'Follow The Leader' and 'I Know You Got Soul' 45's.

Have been enjoying the Geoff & Maria LP's, great choice of songs, all done with a lot of charm. The Jones Girls LP's are all great, classics like Nights Over Egypt etc, and as I had never heard You Gonna Make Me Love Somebody before, very glad I picked them up.

The Andy Doll is a great swing/country/rockabilly LP on Starday, not sold on the Black Uhuru, but me mate's recommend it so will perservere. Sonic Youth & Televison 12's, very enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
                                X