No announcement yet.

September Finds 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to see your Paul mate, always nice to knock some records off your wants list.

On subject of knocking stuff off your wants list, I got this off that Dude who turned up with two singles when you were there -

"Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

I didn't have the nerve to ask him what else he was holding in that carrier bag outside the shop, while you were checking the Billy Fury 45. Had I known, you wouldn't have seen me for dust I'd have been away on my toes down Grey Street, waving it in the air My favourite Action 45....still don't have an og. Great 45, nice one.
      He said he had a box of 45s at home, did he come back again?
      Everyone tear down your own little wall
      That keeps you from being a part of it all
      Because you've got to be one with the one and all
      You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Quick trip out around the shops today, not much over a tenner spent:

[IMG][/IMG]

Frank Zappa - Over-nite Sensation UK OG of one of my top 3 Zappa albums. Apparently the mix on this is different to the US version but I've owned various copies of this in different formats and cant say I've noticed.

Russ Henderson and his Caribbean Boys - Carribean Carnival Sucker for these calypso albums, will update my thoughts as and when. I do hope she isn't directing that voodoo doll at me, have enough stresses at the moment!

Georges Moustaki - Same Saw Allain Goraguer's name as arranger and thought it was worth a punt but It'll probably be dreary chanson.

A Tribe Called Quest - Peoples Instinctive Travels... Excellent condition despite someone having half inched the inner sleeve, chuffed to find some decent hip hop.

Oh... the bird seed is to tempt the potential badger we have entering our garden in the night or at least prove its existence.
        Last edited by amidar; 19-09-2015, 04:52 PM. Reason: badger
        Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
          I didn't have the nerve to ask him what else he was holding in that carrier bag outside the shop, while you were checking the Billy Fury 45. Had I known, you wouldn't have seen me for dust I'd have been away on my toes down Grey Street, waving it in the air My favourite Action 45....still don't have an og. Great 45, nice one.
          He said he had a box of 45s at home, did he come back again?
          He came back with the box the next, utter shite, best thing about it was the box, so we bought the 45 carrying case, and the two 7's he had on him the previous day.
          "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
            In Newcastle last weekend. Met up with a couple of shifty geezers in RPM, and had a quick glance through some of THAT collection...crikey! I didn't make it as far as the 45s, despite Mr Sayers best attempts to deplete my Utrecht wedge! Still got a bit left.
            Picked up 3 excellent lps from there, great condition too. No big hitters for me (there are plenty there believe me) just great music.
            Lovely to catch up again Paul and a great trio of LP's there. Glad you're enjoying them.
            "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Likewise Nige, roll on November
              Everyone tear down your own little wall
              That keeps you from being a part of it all
              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

More catching up summer purchases - first one was a single purchase from a shop way out in the countryside. The rest are from the same local shop but one or two at a time during the summer months:

Henry Franklin - The Skipper
                Nice fusioney jazz with electric piano and horns. Mostly mellow but there's a longer more free piece and the groovy Beauty And The Electric Tub.

Quincy Jones - In Cold Blood
                1967 soundtrack with some amazing suspense and crime jazz.

The Jean-Luc Ponty Experience With The George Duke Trio
                Early Jean-Luc Ponty is always worth picking up for excellent fusion jazz violin grooves.

Freddie Hubbard - The Black Angel
                This is great - somewhere between earlier years more straight jazz and the fusioney stuff that would come shortly hereafter.

H. P. Lovecraft - S/T
                Very good psych, but overall a bit less "occult" feeling than their followup album, which is a bit strange given the bandname. Still good organ workouts and some nice flutes and stuff. Just wish they hadn't put the stupid rag in the middle of side 2.

Stu Phillips ‎– Hells Angels On Wheels
                Biker soundtrack with bits of jazzy beat, breezy wordless vocals, a trippy mellow sitar piece and of course som really hard fuzz. Highly recommended.
                "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post
                  Russ Henderson and his Caribbean Boys - Carribean Carnival Sucker for these calypso albums, will update my thoughts as and when. I do hope she isn't directing that voodoo doll at me, have enough stresses at the moment!
                  West Indian Drums! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee3B7iklfwg

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
                    Quincy Jones - In Cold Blood
                    1967 soundtrack with some amazing suspense and crime jazz.
                    Nice finds there! I think this Quincy soundtrack is just incredible. HP Lovecraft is great too, 'White Ship' is soooo good it almost cancels out the horror of the time machine stuff. Almost.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                      Nice finds there! I think this Quincy soundtrack is just incredible. HP Lovecraft is great too, 'White Ship' is soooo good it almost cancels out the horror of the time machine stuff. Almost.
                      Yes, that Quincy soundtrack is highly recommended for fans of crime jazz.
                      "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                      and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• It's been quiet for awhile, but two 45s that arrived today by different means.

Booker T & The MGs - Time is Tight with Swedish P/S arrived in the mail. Bought from a Facebook group off someone who seems to have a box of 50 sealed copies.
                        At 3£ including P&P it sounded too good to be true, which it partly was. When I took it out it was a bit fruit-bowlish. Plays through without swaying but still...
                        Too bad as I hear he has quite a few left, and I was thinking about getting some more for swaps if I could get them for a good price.

New Dada - Non Dirne Piu, swapped this for a few soul/disco 45s in the parking lot of my lunch time chazza stop. A soul/funk digger I frequently meet there said he had it and would swap it if I brought something funky I wanted to get rid of. This seems to be the Italian version, they also recorded it as Sick & Tired.
                        ------------------------------------------------------
                        "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

• I really like Batti Pugni off that New Dada 45.
                          Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

• I like both sides. And The Booker T will be sorted. The seller will send a new one that he opened to check. If there is interest I could probably arrange some copies.
                            ------------------------------------------------------
                            "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

• Seems to becoming a bad habit of mine but this is a long overdue round-up. The pile was getting a bit daunting to face taking pics and doing the details but got nothing due in at the moment so biting the bullet and getting this done. Buckle up folks 70+ albums to get through!

Split this into 2 parts so I don't exceed the video limit for a single post.

Part 1

Cheap Modern Jazz Quartet job lot in very nice condition so couldn't resist.
                              MJQ - Modern Jazz Quartet (London).
                              MJQ - The Modern Jazz Quartet at Music Inn. Guest Artist: Jimmy Guiffre (London).
                              MJQ - The Modern Jazz Quartet Plays One Never Knows (London).
                              MJQ - Fontessa (London).

MJQ - Bags' Opus (London).
                              MJQ - Pyramid (London).
                              MJQ - at Music Inn. Guest Artist: Sonny Rollins (London).
                              MJQ - The Modern Jazz Quartet E.P. (Esquire).

This selection features some of the bands I've caught live recently including some cracking local talent.
                              Toy - Toy (Heavenly).
                              Toy - Join The Dots (Heavenly).
                              Falmouth Sound - Vol 1 (Easy Action).
                              The Black Tambourines - The Black Tambourines (Art Is Hard). Leading the charge in some of the great stuff coming out of Falmouth at the moment.
                              The Diamond Family - Would I Were A Swift (Or A Skylark Be).
                              Hockeysmith - Let's Bang 12" (Backabelly).

Some new releases.
                              The Liminanas - Crystal Anis (Because Music). 2012 release from this French band with obvious Gainsbourg stylings.
                              Sauna Youth - Distractions (Upset! The Rhythm). Punchy set of 3min or less indie punk tracks. Great fun and recommended.
                              Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Multi-Love (Jagjaguwar). Love UMO but not entirely convinced I'm enjoying this as much as the previous two albums. Worth persevering with though.
                              Jaga Jazzist - Starfire (Ninja Tune). Norwegian experimental jazz electronica ensemble for those unfamiliar with Jaga Jazzist. Not for everyone but always something interesting on their records.

Wizzz! - Vol1, 2 and 3 (Born Bad Records). Mentioned recently in one of this forum's New Releases threads and too good a deal not to buy all volumes in one hit. 3 cracking compilations of French psych and garage tracks. Not perfect but enough there to make it a worthy buy. Think vol 1 is leading the favourites list at the moment.

Some cheap online buys.
                              David Axelrod - Earth Rot (Ascension Records).
                              The Fugs - S/T (Base).
                              Kaleidoscope - A Beacon From Mars (Epic). Meh!
                              Quiver - S/T (Warner). Not for me and think some of the prices on Discogs are a bit ambitious to say the least.

Stray - S/T (Transatlantic). British prog/hard rock band. Dye-cut gatefold which, from the majority of copies I've seen, seems to wreck easily. They should have stuck with the inner cover image and saved themselves some money.
                              Hunger - Strictly From Hunger (Psycho Records). US psych rock from 69. Get past the obvious Doors influence and there's a pretty good album in there with plenty of nice organ riffing.
                              Colosseum - Valentyne Suite (Bronze). Well known which generally puts the Vertigo original out of my price bracket so the Re will have to do for now.
                              Chicago Triangle - Emergence (Permanent Records). One of those late night trawls through the Ebay listings and the cover jumped out at me as something that looked interesting. So this is a reissue from last year of a mid 70s private press. Chicago Triangle were, according to the blurb, a Latino hard rock, prog, band with an interest in the arcane mysticism of the triangle. Sold me! Just a great rock album with some nice keyboard work from the lead guy. Nothing on Youtube but found a couple of tracks on Soundcloud. Anything You Want - https://soundcloud.com/permanentreco...nce-lp-lampler

...to be continued.

Comment

• Part 2

All about the girls.
                                Mandy More - But That Is Me (Sunbeam). Sold my last copy ages ago and thought maybe I should revisit it. Still not sure but will hold onto it this time.
                                Girls With Guitars - Comp (Ace Records). Nothing to dislike here.
                                Shangri-Las - Leader Of The Pack (Red Bird). Rarely see anything of note in the charities these days so although not in prime condition there was no way I was leaving this behind.
                                Carolyn Hester Coalition - S/T (Metromedia/Pye). Very pleased to grab this clean copy online for a decent price (has an original price sticker on the cover of a mighty 29 pence - ah if only). Sure it's well known here but if not check it out straight away!

Julie Driscoll & Brian Auger - Open (Marmalade). From wanting this album for a while I've ended up with a cheap brace of them - one mono, one stereo. Will compare and contrast and move the spare on.
                                Merrilee Rush & The Turnabouts - Angel of the Morning (Bell). Nice pop rock, generally uptempo and with couple of good covers.
                                Syreeta - S/T (Mowest).

All about the guys.
                                Rex Holman - Here in the Land of Victory (Pentagram Records). Been on the wants list for a while and finally bit the bullet to grab a reasonably priced copy from the States. Top notch folk psych with the requisite sitar and tabla from a guy probably better known for his bit parts in the original Star Trek series. I guess his vocals are a bit marmite being a bit warbly but the songs are nothing less than brilliant.
                                Terry Durham - Crystal Telephone (Deram). Another filed away in the memory banks to look out for. A new record fair in Falmouth delivered this copy at a very good price and it's a keeper. My wife and kids hate it but I don't care cos they're wrong! A board favourite I believe.
                                Philamore Lincoln - The North Wind Blew South (Epic). Lovely orchestrated popsike album with some really nice tunes and occasional Indian flourishes.
                                Elliott Randall - Randall's Island (Polydor). Not bad bluesy jazz rock album. Doesn't work in its entirety but a few decent tracks on it. Love the photo insert that came with it (see below).

Lee Hazlewood - Love and Other Crimes (Reprise).
                                Pugh - Ja, Dä Ä Dä! (Metronome). One of those I'd only know about from hanging out on this forum and found at a local record fair at a good price.
                                Stelvio Cipriani - Baron Blood soundtrack (Dagored). A nice listen and not as intense as I was expecting from the screenshots on the cover.
                                To-day's Sound - Compilation (Liuto Records). Cracking comp of Piero Umiliani written and arranged tracks.

Bo Hansson - Magician's Hat (Charisma). Well known I guess.
                                The Wind in the Willows - S/T (Capitol). Meh! Probably shouldn't have bothered.
                                Archie Whitewater - S/T (Cadet RE). Been on the want list for quite some time and don't think I'll ever see an original in the wild so jumped on the reissue.
                                Spencer Davis Group - The Second Album (Fontana).

Charity and local record store finds.
                                Can - Soundtracks (Spoon). Amazing I know but this is my first Can purchase! Bit of a corker.
                                Malcolm McLaren Duck Rock (Charisma) - One of those I thought I'd find fairly easily on my travels but this is the first copy I've come across and for a couple of quid it was well worth picking up.
                                Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - S/T (RCA). Seen there's a lot of love for August Darnell related projects on here so thought I'd give this a go and very enjoyable it is too. What would this be - swing disco?

A couple from the charity, a couple from our very own Ben and a couple more online buys.
                                Kid Creole and the Coconuts - Doppelganger (Island). After finding Dr. Buzzard it was nice to come across a couple of Kid Creole albums. Maybe not as good as Tropical Gangsters but not bad.
                                Kid Creole and the Coconuts - Tropical Gangsters (Ze Records). Nothing to dislike here.
                                Marta Kubisova - Songy A Balady (Supraphon). This and the Rhoda Scott were very kindly donated from the recent batch of Ben's freebies. Cheers bud.
                                Rhoda Scott - At The Hammond Organ (Major Minor).
                                Emitt Rhodes - Mirror (Dunhill).
                                Michael Rother - Fernwarme (Polydor). Ambient krautrock, perhaps a bit Jarre-like.

The Leading Figures - Oscillation 67! (Deram). Big band mod-ish covers of 30s and 40s swing tracks. Quite uptempo and has some Roger Coulam action here and there.
                                We Still Kill The Old Way - S/T (MCA). A bit lighter sounding than I was hoping for.
                                Barbara & Ernie - Prelude To... (Cotillion). Another well known around here and what a great album.
                                Black Ivory - Don't Turn Around (Today Records). I make no apologies for liking a bit of quality soul and this album delivers in spades. Couple of funky numbers on it too which I wasn't expecting.

Some recent car boot finds. The collectors/dealers seem to be outnumbering the amount of available vinyl lately so when someone turns up with a few boxes there's a bit of a frenzy and considered judgement seems to go out of the window. Still they were cheap so I can't complain.
                                Harold Land - In The Land of Jazz (Contemporary Records).
                                George Shearing and the Montgomery Brothers - S/T (Jazzland Records).
                                The Mighty Fire Steel Band - S/T (Allegro). Had a vinyl night event in town this month with the theme of cover versions so with that in mind I picked this up for the Beatles covers and I thought I'd seen it mentioned on here. Meh! Didn't get played out.
                                Cy Grant - Cy and I (WRC). Liked the cover the music not so much.
                                Shangri-Las - Shangri-Las 65! (Charly Records).
                                Pierre Boulez/Frank Zappa - The Perfect Stranger (EMI). Some orchestral Zappa.
                                Steve Miller Band - Children of the Future (Capitol). Early Steve Miller. The gatefold's a bit worn but the vinyl's in good nick. Pleased with this.
                                The Chambers Brothers - Now! (Vault). Live recording from 1966.

Last four (thank goodness you all cry!).
                                Nazz - Nazz Nazz (Rhino). The opening track rides so high it makes the rest of the album look a little weak but it's a pretty good listen all round.
                                The 1910 Fruitgum Co. - Hard Ride (Buddah). I guess these guys are better known for their bubblegum/sunshine pop rock but this is a belter of a horn rock album. A bit bonkers in parts but most here would find something to like.
                                Teegarden & Van Winkle - But Anyhow, (Atco). Duo doing driving organ and drums. Great cover of Season of the Witch and it's a damn fine album all round.
                                James Royal - Call My Name (CBS). Produced by Keith Mansfield this funky soul album is worth picking up if you see it cheap. Has a great vocal cover of Keith Mansfield's Funky Fanfare called House Of Jack. Not a one-tracker either.

That's it I'm done. Probably missed one or two buys out but you don't want to see all the dross.

If anyone cares to embellish my useless attempts at description with something more insightful and considered then that would be grand.

I will endeavour to keep on top of this for the next show and tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X