November 2015 finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by giantchicken View Post
    Mr Russell is amongst my heroes and I hope to follow his example in growing old disgracefully (particularly if I get a Hetty Baynes to look after me in my dotage...) - back in the mid 90s I was staying with some friends in a cottage in Ambleside in the Lake District that was just down the hill from Ken and Hetty's home and we were sorely tempted to knock on their door and invite them down to party with us - I wish we had now....
    Let's party in Ken Russell style

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
      Hey Ben, re your haul of mushies. I didn't pipe up upthread because I wasn't sure of your intentions. I won't bore you with my personal psychedelic adventures, but I do know a Psilocybe semilanceata when I see one (the memory ain't what it used to be, but some things stick). That's definitely a mixed bag you have there. Bin those little brown dome shaped ones with the brown stems. You probably already have, in which case, enjoy.
      Yeah, you're right there. I did get a bit 'record dealer early doors at a car boot sale' with my scorched earth policy. Actually, it was more like sodden earth.

This was partly because I don't wear my specs when up on the fells, in case I fall and knack them, which leads to some interesting games of 'Path or Precipice?' as I get a bit blurry. So, I saw what looked like psilocybin, but then I thought 'Nah' and walked off. As I got to the edge of the field, I thought, actually, it's the right time of year (with the seasons taking slightly longer to shift up North), it was sheep pasture, with the grass quite cropped by the grazing, lea side of a hill etc., so maybe pick them anyway and check at home.

Am back home in Notts now, have had my first proper shower in a week, first shave in two weeks and two bowls of home-made red pepper soup that made my nose run like Bowie's on the Dick Cavett Show. Will be going through the myco-haul later and disposing of those that were obviously the result of over-zealous picking.

I'll report back on the others at some point. If I haven't been sectioned.

Back to talk of vinyl soon eh? I found bob all along those lines while I was away as the rain made a visit to Keswick a tad prohibitive, just a solitary VV classic in a chazza in Otley (plenty of Red Kites spied round Otley / Wharfedale though, which always cheers me up).
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Picked up a big haul from the market guy today after dropping of some saleable records for him, huge pile went to the cheap chazza (I owed them a stack). An interesting haul, odd German records, Exotica and Scottish bits and pieces, Russian Heavy Metal nothing of value but certainly interesting to me and records he would never shift. I'll photograph when get a mo. He'd started to sort them out and get rid of a lot but seems they are all over the place again! Got a nice box set thing 'teach yourself jazz drums' minus the sticks. I'll have to get me brushes out instead!

On a University Open Day tomorrow in Wolverhampton, might sneak in a cheeky chazza if I get the chance and there is no teenage moaning to contend with.

EDIT: It was pissing down, there was a mad man screaming about 'Christian Sinners' at people in the street so after all the Uni stuff which was worthwhile for the lad I went in one chazza which had no records a 'McDonalds then went home, I hate maccy d's but I hate KFC more so not much choice. Bah!
        Last edited by amidar; 14-11-2015, 05:48 PM. Reason: Rain!
        Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by giantchicken View Post
          Yes, I'm a Scott fan too, but my vinyl Walkers collection is small so I've recently set about improving that situation. Scott's solo albums have had plenty of reissues but other more notable Walker items ('Night Flights'/'Shutout' in particular) are pretty expensive by dint of their poor sales. 'No Regrets' isn't too difficult or expensive though - I even found one today, but it had a few scratches so I left it, but I'll pick you one up next time I see a decent copy. You made a good score with 'The Plague' though, that seems to be a tricky find for some (luckily, I also have one!) - recent Walker finds coming up soon!
          I discovered him by way of Julian Cope in the eighties and managed to snatch up 1,2, Till the band comes in and Nite Flights in various charity shops and flea markets. Most of them I've never seen in the wild since. Still keeping my eyes out for any speck of Walker. The Plague B-side is one I've been after, it's one of those rare Scott tracks you can put on without your friends pretending to fall asleep.
          ------------------------------------------------------
          "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
            Yeah, you're right there. I did get a bit 'record dealer early doors at a car boot sale' with my scorched earth policy. Actually, it was more like sodden earth.

This was partly because I don't wear my specs when up on the fells, in case I fall and knack them, which leads to some interesting games of 'Path or Precipice?' as I get a bit blurry. So, I saw what looked like psilocybin, but then I thought 'Nah' and walked off. As I got to the edge of the field, I thought, actually, it's the right time of year (with the seasons taking slightly longer to shift up North), it was sheep pasture, with the grass quite cropped by the grazing, lea side of a hill etc., so maybe pick them anyway and check at home.

Am back home in Notts now, have had my first proper shower in a week, first shave in two weeks and two bowls of home-made red pepper soup that made my nose run like Bowie's on the Dick Cavett Show. Will be going through the myco-haul later and disposing of those that were obviously the result of over-zealous picking.

I'll report back on the others at some point. If I haven't been sectioned.

Back to talk of vinyl soon eh? I found bob all along those lines while I was away as the rain made a visit to Keswick a tad prohibitive, just a solitary VV classic in a chazza in Otley (plenty of Red Kites spied round Otley / Wharfedale though, which always cheers me up).
            "Path Or Precipice" sounds a bit interesting Ben! I'm with you on the Red kites. Never seen one in the town I live in until this summer. Caught a great view again a couple of weeks back while clambering around in the top of a tree. Such a fantastic looking bird. My friend went to somewhere over Reading way, where there is a feeding spot. Some people put food out, and the skies rapidly turn from empty to filled with large descending kites. Sounds very impressive, but there is something much more poetic about the lone drifter that sweeps across the sky, and you know you've been clocked and processed from way above. A proper "day maker". For me, this kind of thing is better than any top drawer vinyl find in a chazza or whatever. Always have been a bit of a "nature boy". Probably means I'll get laughed out of the forum, but that's me.
            Everyone tear down your own little wall
            That keeps you from being a part of it all
            Because you've got to be one with the one and all
            You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

"Path Or Precipice" sounds a bit interesting Ben! I'm with you on the Red kites. Never seen one in the town I live in until this summer. Caught a great view again a couple of weeks back while clambering around in the top of a tree. Such a fantastic looking bird. My friend went to somewhere over Reading way, where there is a feeding spot. Some people put food out, and the skies rapidly turn from empty to filled with large descending kites. Sounds very impressive, but there is something much more poetic about the lone drifter that sweeps across the sky, and you know you've been clocked and processed from way above. A proper "day maker". For me, this kind of thing is better than any top drawer vinyl find in a chazza or whatever. Always have been a bit of a "nature boy". Probably means I'll get laughed out of the forum, but that's me.
              Also with you on the red kites. They have made a fabulous comeback here in Skåne, the southernmost region of Sweden, and I think the last count here was about 2000 couples. It's rare not seeing a kite when you go out for a drive. The red kite is actually the "region bird" of Skåne.
              And with that I anticipate this thread will stray even further from finding records, and go into "Swedish birds"...

No, I actually found a few more records. I revisited the council-run tip shop that I inadvertently gatecrashed last week but managed to get a pile of 45s from. The nice lady remembered me and asked if the records had played OK. I asked if she had any more, and she went into the storeroom and dragged out a big moving box of LPs. The first thing I picked up from the box was Kebnekaises second album, folk-progg that I'm sure is known around here. I actually saw them live this spring, in good form, and more recently Baby Grandmothers, the pre-cursor to the band. This had me excited about the remaining contents of the box, but it was not to be...
              It can't have been a collection with the eclectic mix of classical, easy-listening, eighties commons, a few seventies and some postpunk. Still I managed to pick out 11 records. Kebnekaise was obviously a star find, but I was also happy to find a 12" EP by Essential Logic.
              ------------------------------------------------------
              "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Jurgen Kerth - Gloriosa

David Tukhmanov
                Kunstkopf Stereofonie
                Siglo i A.N.E.

Comment

I'm in the 'nature' camp too mate. I'm as happy out in the countryside foraging or just exploring (always with canine company) as I am digging through piles of random vinyl. It comes from much the same place I think, which is probably why I also enjoy 'Detectorists' and 'Time Team'. It's traditional for us to look out for Red Kites when we're heading to the Lakes as they've not quite populated South Notts yet (though I hear they're closing in), once you get close enough to see the wings / tail, it could be no other bird. A great conservation success story.

Anyway, the fungal fun pretty much went a treat. I took all the advice on board and started slow, ate about twenty or so of the smaller ones and just let it happen. Took a good 90mins for owt much to happen, but then it was a really nice, mellow trip, all senses really heightened (seeing colour within colour, light within light, all images in 3D etc) , time became a bit more elastic and I ended up giggling like an imbecile at 'Family Guy' and then off to bed at about 00.30, convinced that my bedroom was the inside of a tree. Lovely closed eye hallucinations for an hour, then slept well (we won't go into the tummy trouble). Wouldn't want to do it every night mind and might well give the rest to my sister-in-law, but it was nice to greet an old friend again!
                  Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Red Kites here too guys ....Sedbergh and Arnside ... and makes my day too ...
                    Such an incredible sight ...
                    Ben you're a brave guy I wouldn't dare go near mushrooms again. ...good on you boss
                    Rockwell
                    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• Seconded couldn't touch hallucinogenics these days, too much of a wimp.

Loads of finds from the market swap as stated earlier and the singles and others I found earlier in the week but was too lazy to photograph. I'll update when I get a chance to listen but any questions please fell free to ask although I don't know why I picked up 'Geoff Love' probably cos I'd never seen it before, you never know:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Discovered a ransom rap raerity

https://youtu.be/QT3Jzs8mreY
                        https://youtu.be/UAECaQasays

Comment

• what ransom rap? Is that an upgrade to tax scam rap?
                          All the Wolpertingers

Comment

• It's the same as random rap

Comment

• A mixed bag from the booter. Arrived late but still managed to find more than enough that was worth a punt. Everything here are really minty.

Penguin Cafe Orchestra s/t. The cover was good enough on its own. The groove contents match the cover for interest.

Pekka – The Mathematician's Air Display. The title sold this one. Didn't notice Mike & Sally Oldfield's names in the small print 'til I got home. Not my cup of tea.

The Neville Brothers - Brother's Keeper. Not played this yet. The follow up to Yellow Moon which I picked up a few years ago and had enough good tracks on it to make it a keeper. So hopefully this will be the same.

Aaron Neville – Warm The Heart. Includes some interesting takes on well known songs. I spent some time years ago sitting on the fence re Aaron's voice. I've learned to love it now.

Renaissance – Novella. Renaissance have a very distinctive sound and style. Not an automatic go to for me by any means but has proved pleasant Sunday listening.

Leo Sayer – Silverbird. Ahem. Recently here I suggested that I had seen hardly any Leo in the wild after finding a clutch and getting a bit carried away buying them all(!). Obviously I had previously tuned my radar to ignore Leo records because since then I have seen them everywhere. This is a second copy of Silverbird in a few months and an upgrade. My work is done now on the Leo front and my radar is detuned again as far as the little tussle haired one goes.

Otis Rush & Little Walter – Live At The Chicago Blues Festival. Always tend to pick up Blues albums but then don't often give them much airplay. How long before I play this one I wonder?

12 inchers:
                              Sahara – Love So Fine. On Elite, a label I have a soft spot for ever since buying their first releases – Atmosfear and Level 42 - when they first came out. Good mid 80s Disco fare.
                              Mantronix – Got To Have Your Love. Well known I'm sure. Always loved this but never had a copy.
                              The Whispers – Let's Go All The Way/Headlights. The Whispers are a great vocal group and really love their late 60s Soul Clock 45s. I was buying their Disco output in the 70s so the fact that I didn't have this one already probably should have told me it was going to be great. OK but probably in the out pile.

Comment

• 'Pekka Pohjola - Mathematicians Air Display' Great album, gotta be worth a decent trade with someone. He's a classically trained Finnish bass player, played with Wigwam etc. Famously sampled by 'DJ Shadow' I think although I forget the track or album by Pekka he sampled. I can see how it might not be your cup of tea though crazy showing off fusiony and proggy stuff, with Pierre Morlein on drums.

Send it my way I'll gladly take it off your hands
                                Last edited by amidar; 15-11-2015, 05:44 PM. Reason: forgot Pierre.

Comment

Working...
                                X