December 2015 finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reza View Post
    Yes correct , its ok imo , unusual mix somewhere between a library and a jazz album , not sure if its a keeper , more listens needed
    Hopp II. always Hopp II.

Hopp I isnae too bad, but Hopp II is killer and too damn short.

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post
      The relate shop finally moved some of their 'Vintage Books' to the 20p section
      Never seem to see these kinds of old paperbacks anymore in charities. Have even seen charities near me bagging them up for recycling (can't properly recycle cheap wood-pulp paper anyway), without even putting them up for sale. There was a huge donated crate of sci-fi in an Oxfam books one the other day, but it was mostly more recent trashy (in a bad way) stuff, Star Trek, Star Wars and Dr Who spinoffs or bad fantasy. There was a nice series of old Tarzan books though (Tarzan Vs the Ant Men, etc) which looked more fun.

re: Swingles - I always grab them. Picked up "Getting Romantic" the other day, very pleasant

Comment

Any suggestions on later Swingles? I've seen a few recently, but not at punt-friendly prices.

Comment

George Golla - Wives and Lovers. VG+/VG+. $2.

Waiting for something else this morning I stuck my nose in a charity shop. Got this. Some scratching; nothing too intrusive.

Tracks are, I am afraid, mainly hits of the day. But side 1 kicks off with a blues and a Golla original - "Waltz to Adelaide". Online commentary mentions "Waltz to Adelaide" in 'Libaek' terms. Well, the players here are basically Don Burrows' group. And those guys were Libaek regulars. So, go figure.

On the plus side, there is a fair amount of open percussion here; there is a strong bossa vibe through the album. And there are some moments where you can tell these guys were used to each other as a unit - tight and smooth.

The first hard copy I've seen, so I don't begrudge myself the $2.

Comment

I've noticed 'World of Books' vans pulling up outside charity shops and filling up. I guess some of these things are getting valuable now. Reminds me of days at my nans with my Granddad's Western books and Grans paperback Ian Fleming's in the bookcase.

Is Swingle II worth picking up I see that a lot recently but not took a punt?

Also lovely bit of Skronk there Boney, would love those!

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
            Never seem to see these kinds of old paperbacks anymore in charities. Have even seen charities near me bagging them up for recycling (can't properly recycle cheap wood-pulp paper anyway), without even putting them up for sale. There was a huge donated crate of sci-fi in an Oxfam books one the other day, but it was mostly more recent trashy (in a bad way) stuff, Star Trek, Star Wars and Dr Who spinoffs or bad fantasy. There was a nice series of old Tarzan books though (Tarzan Vs the Ant Men, etc) which looked more fun.

re: Swingles - I always grab them. Picked up "Getting Romantic" the other day, very pleasant
            Last edited by amidar; 03-12-2015, 03:19 PM. Reason: Skronk
            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

These were definitely going for "paper recycling", although I wonder if the recycling places actually just sell them on to someone like World Of Books?

Comment

Originally posted by cratedigger View Post
                It does have a picture with a filter on the back. It just doesnt do it for me, so it's in the out pile.

DANSA MED TV, from reza's post, that's Jan Johansson, right?
                Ok, thanks.

Comment

Yes correct , its ok imo , unusual mix somewhere between a library and a jazz album , not sure if its a keeper , more listens needed
                  I have Johansson's 'Radda Sverige' exercise jazz 7". Cool, vbut not overwhelming. Which are his best jazz releases, besides the obvious 'Jazz på Svenska'?

Comment

and a few more that may be more my cup of tea , possibly, I'll do some reviews in the following days

Harold Singer , don't buy this album , lots of croony singing , dire songs, outbox
                    Gianni Bedori, bought because its categorized as free jazz in discogs, its not , run of the mill Italian jazz, 5/10
                    Dansa Med TV , decisions still out on this one , too many short 1 min tracks , will I keep playing it ?
                    Spirale, unbelievably good modal jazz, no wonder its one of Romania's most sought after jazz albums , wow

Comment

Dansa Med TV , decisions still out on this one , too many short 1 min tracks , will I keep playing it ?
                      Spirale, unbelievably good modal jazz, no wonder its one of Romania's most sought after jazz albums , wow
                      love Spirale, the two "Colinda" tracks are the standouts for me.

I'd hang on to the Dansa Med TVas well...

Comment

Harold Singer , don't buy this album , lots of croony singing , dire songs, outbox
                        I made the same mistake with this. One quite nice track - Elijah Rock - but definitely not a keeper. Anything good on those African LPs? Nothing there I recognise but I'm not an expert

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                          I made the same mistake with this. One quite nice track - Elijah Rock - but definitely not a keeper. Anything good on those African LPs? Nothing there I recognise but I'm not an expert
                          Not really , only one with any disco/funk stuff the rest are mostly your average hi life soukous and poor reggae , reckon I'll part with just about all

Comment

I cant remember the name but saw a van pull up one time may well have said something to do with 'recycling' on it and out of interest looked them up and it was indeed 'World of Books' related. They make a big deal about 'environmental impact' and 'recycling' and such. Seems more to do with grabbing charitable donations in bulk at a good price to sell on to make a profit. Is that a good or bad thing I don't know, bad when they are getting first dibs scooping up any potential raers for their own ends I guess but I suppose the business model is sound enough they've got to make a profit and saves a lot from landfill I suppose.

I buy the odd CD off them on eBay they have the slowest postage of any eBay seller based in the UK I have ever dealt with. They even give themselves a 2 week estimated delivery time to get around it affecting their seller score!

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                            These were definitely going for "paper recycling", although I wonder if the recycling places actually just sell them on to someone like World Of Books?
                            Last edited by amidar; 04-12-2015, 04:08 PM.
                            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

first find lot of december , this morning, dont know where to start, havn't played any of them yet , who's the expert on this sort of stuff ...MPFlapp, TomB ...?

I only know some of the labels here - driver banza it one I'd be keen to hear

Only know the Sonny Okosun Peace LP here - Keen to hear the bottom left corner one...

Like that Doves LP on Clover Sound and the Silvestre Mendez number...

Quite a haul there fella...
                              "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Originally posted by MPFlapp View Post
                                I only know some of the labels here - driver banza it one I'd be keen to hear

Only know the Sonny Okosun Peace LP here - Keen to hear the bottom left corner one...

Like that Doves LP on Clover Sound and the Silvestre Mendez number...

Quite a haul there fella...
                                There was about another 200 , I just picked an assortment , I'll go back and re listen to your likes , and let you know what the one's your interested in are like , that bottom left one with the religious cover is as I remember is hymnal preaching durge but I'll re listen to that one as well

Comment

Working...
                                X