December 2015 finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bongolia View Post
    there's a nice version of Tin Tin Deo on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfQREMfqae4
    Very nice indeed, but now you've reminded me of this version - will have to pull it off the shelf...

Comment

• Originally posted by amidar View Post

Bailables
      is one my key search words for Latin stuff. Is there an artist mentioned on that Tico lp?
      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Hey Babycart only person mentioned is the producer 'Pancho Cristal' and its the same with volume 1 according to discogs. Just the songs listed and 'all rights reserved'. Out of interest what does 'Bailables' translate as?
        Last edited by amidar; 17-12-2015, 11:32 AM. Reason: Bailables?
        Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• "danceable"

Comment

• Ah, cheers bud.
            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• A particularly long dry spell finally broken with an interesting house call, and a Frank Zappa overload…… I’m not sure if this is more Zappa than I can handle

Also lots of classic rock stuff. These are the more interesting bits, all well known. They came via a house clearance, it’s a shame I didn’t get to meet the guy, with extensive Zappa, Beefheart and Edgar Broughton I’m sure he would have been an interesting fella!

http://peachfuzzforest.blogspot.com
              www.the-onyx.co.uk
              www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by amidar View Post
                Hey Babycart only person mentioned is the producer 'Pancho Cristal' and its the same with volume 1 according to discogs. Just the songs listed and 'all rights reserved'. Out of interest what does 'Bailables' translate as?
                Literally, it means "Danceables" It´s usually used on hits packages in latin american countries, but you also get some older records that are a bit ballroom.

Pancho Cristal knew how to put a band together, but the titles on that comp (Charleston, Samba) make me suspect it´s a bit latin ballroom. However, it does have one of the staples of bailables lps - a skimpily-dressed model.
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by rprest View Post

That's a great Zappa collection. Most of the the 60s Mothers stuff is missing but it covers the 70s well and goes into the 80s and beyond. I'd keep everything except the Thing Fish box set (unlistenable IMO). Some are more challening than others (Them Or Us would be in few Zappa fans top 10) but there is some great stuff there. There's at least one bootleg (Titties & Beer, bottom front), one I don't recognise (behind Waka Jawaka at the top) and I don't recall what's on that picture disc top right?
                  Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

• Lena Horne - "Something in the Way She Sings". VG+/Ex. $?

A recent acquisition. Strangely, I can't remember where from or what I paid for it.

It is a 1974 New Zealand pressing of the 1970 Horne (Szabo + McFarland) outing on the Skye label. Possibly not such a good pressing.

I wouldn't have mentioned it here were it not for the McFarland post up-thread. Lena not my thing. Not enough Szabo to maintain my interest. A mildly Schrifinesque (Bullitt-like) arrangement towards the end of "My Mood is You" caught my ears. Some other notable players in the backing crew, and consequently some moments where they shine through.

All up though, this one is heading out.

Comment

• Thanks for the heads up! The pic disc is an interview disc. I have a bit of the Mothers stuff already, so these would fill the gaps. Not sure about the other one will have to check the title when I get home.

I've never really got into Zappa, this is definately a good opportunity to give it another bash!
                      http://peachfuzzforest.blogspot.com
                      www.the-onyx.co.uk
                      www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

• any excuse to watch this again, recorded it onto vhs when it was on the telly

Comment

• Recent chazzers and that;

Muddy Waters EP this and the other jazz 45's found up my mother-in-laws flat. Thought we'd rootled out all interesting records in the past, but these were sitting in a box. Great EP.
                          Cephas LP - visiting me parents en Midlands, and grabbed a few xian LP's out the tip shop. This is really great in parts, lovely instrumental below.
                          Meet Jesus Music - more xian rock stuff. Not grabbing me like the Cephas LP.

Harvey Andrews - Familar here, no doubt.
                          Benny Bennet & His Latin American Orchestra - great looking latin LP on Vogue, with a couple of great mambo's on here. Mambo En Sax being one. Cracking stuff.
                          Graham Walker Sound - Alan Hawkshaw on organ for well known Hair outing, but not had it before and it's great innit.

Comment

• Originally posted by rprest View Post
                            Thanks for the heads up! The pic disc is an interview disc. I have a bit of the Mothers stuff already, so these would fill the gaps. Not sure about the other one will have to check the title when I get home.

I've never really got into Zappa, this is definately a good opportunity to give it another bash!
                            I think the other one is a 12" single of his version of "Stairway To Heaven". Brass section doing the guitar solo bit.

Comment

• You didn't ask, but here's a breakdown anyway!
                              Uncle Meat + Burnt Weeny Sandwich + Weazels Ripped My Flesh + Pregnant are all Mothers or related. All are keepers.
                              Lumpy Gravy is an experiment in tape editing, cut ups, etc, recorded during the Mothers period.
                              Hot Rats is his best known solo LP, over-rated IMO but solid. There was a time when if someone has only one Zappa LP, it would usually be this one.
                              200 Motels has a few good tracks but is mostly over-indulgent nonsense. If you got the rare booklet + poster, be happy.
                              Waka Jawaka is a gem. Grand Wazoo is similarly worthwhile. Both definite keepers.
                              Overnite Sensation + Apostrophe + One Size Fits All are all by the great early 70s band. Only Roxy & Elsewhere is missing. All great records but some find the inclusion of humour off putting.
                              Zoot Allures + Live in New York are from circa 75-76, with some serious soloing. Live in New York was my first Zappa and blew my mind.
                              Orchestral Favourites is a collection of mostly instrumental (AFAIR) leftovers. Not everyone's cup of tea, but still a keeper IMO.
                              Joe's Garage: Part 1 is a masterpiece IMO. The songs all in different styles and working brilliantly in telling the story. Part 2+3 is far less successful and deteriorates into knob jokes or whatever. It does have Watermelon In Easter Hay, however, possibly his best ever solo.

After this, it gets more hit or miss.

Sheik Yerbouti is the first really irritating Zappa LP IMO. There's almost nothing to recommend it.
                              Tinseltown Rebellion has much of the same 'humourous' content but includes good live versions. Side 4 is great.
                              Not everyone rates You Are What You Is but I reckon it's second only to Joes Garage Part 1 in telling a story through songs written in different styles.
                              The Man From Utopia has a great LIberatore cover but otherwise has little to recommend it.
                              Guitar + the Shut Up box are endless guitar solos, and pretty boring IMO: I never understood the stuff he chose to include in these guitar showoff albums.
                              Thing Fish is challenging. Six sides of Ike Willis singing in a funny accent. Good luck with that! I taped it for someone at the time and almost lost the will to live.
                              Them Or Us is a poor man's You Are What You Is.
                              That leaves Broadway The Hard Way, which I never warmed to and havent played in 20 years, and the classical pieces which are a bit meh.
                              And the You Cant Do That On Stage Sampler, which is drawn from the double CD sets which cover all periods.
                              Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

• 3 copies of Burnt Weenie Sandwich? He was a bit keen. Good score on The Move rprest.
                                Lots of my mates were heavily into Zappa, so I've had plenty of exposure to the man. The big guitar stuff tends to leave me a bit cold nowadays to tell the truth. Sleep Dirt (the track) I still think is beautiful, Apostrophe, Zoot Allures, Overnight Sensation, all special for where I was at late 70's. Seems like everyone I knew had Joes Garage, and could recite most of it word for word. Mostly it's Hot Rats that comes out for a play in our house. More a Beefheart fan than a Zappa fan anyway, pleased to see you picked up a couple of Dons goodies too.
                                Don't mind me asking Milesago, but are you a guitar player? I only ask as the people I know/knew who were big Zappa fans were guitar players.
                                I wouldn't make any hasty decisions about parting with any of them, I've seen what happens when people get the Zappa bug. You might catch it.
                                Everyone tear down your own little wall
                                That keeps you from being a part of it all
                                Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                                You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Working...
                                X