No announcement yet.

February 2016 finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few quick charity pickups. Popped into usually rubbish charity near me at lunchtime, and managed to pick up a few bits.

Great italian techno 12 from 91, fairly rare, and fairly raw. Good stuff. Gold In The Shade is street soul from 91 again, again fairly rare and fairly raw. Johnny Duncan 10" is an early Joe Meek production. Lots of echo.

(PAGING AGNES GUANO) Seem to have picked up a few comedy things over the last few days. Was unaware of Harry H Corbett's recording career, now on the lookout for 'Flower Power Fred'. Joan Sims backed up by Johnny Harris is great, and couldn't leave the 'Stereo Spectacular at Cesar's Palace, Luton' LP behind. Have yet to listen to this, but I'm hoping it will be like an evening out in Luton in 1971, ie truly magical.
    Last edited by bennyboy; 17-02-2016, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
      'Stereo Spectacular at Cesar's Palace, Luton'
      Bloody hell, I nearly spat my coffee out! Hilarious! - good work BB, that Johnny Duncan looks interesting too.....I've been coming up with a bit of a motley assortment of my own recently....

Alex Campbell et les Fire-Side Boys - 'American's Square Dance' (sic) - No, it's not the Scottish folkie of the same name, this Alex Campbell was a bluegrass musician who while serving in the US Forces was wounded during the Normandy landings and somehow worked his way into the entertainment side of the postwar occupation of Germany, broadcasting a country show on forces radio from a bierkeller in Munich. This (from the early 60s?)is one of a number of 10 inch albums he recorded for the French Unidisc label, There's lots of dozy doeing and promenading, some singing and calling and even a version of 'Buffalo Boys/Gals'. It's lighter on the fiddle than most square dance music and sometimes works in a mandolin which sounds good. The accompanying leaflet (in French) helpfully shows you the dance steps.

Jimmie Rodgers - 'Country Music Hall Of Fame' - Wow...how can I have only just discovered this? Forget all your preconceptions about country music, this is forged from the same stuff as Robert Johnson or Leadbelly. Including a selection of numbers drawing from all of his sessions in an all too brief 6 year recording career, songs like 'I'm Free From The Chain Gang Now', 'Yodeling Cowboy' 'The Soldier's Sweetheart' and 'TB Blues' are touching and chilling in equal measure. I'm already on the lookout for more....

Charlie Rich - 'Sun's Best Of' - I was hoping for a bit more rock 'n' roll on this, but despite the inclusion of 'Lonely Weekends' there's a bit too much lame Elvis copyism to make this a keeper....

Various - 'Country Guitar Vol. 12' - A 7" EP from, no doubt, the same collection as the above, but not enough guitar to make it special. Porter Wagoner's 'Battle Of The Little Bighorn' makes a bloodbath sound like a Walt Disney picnic, but I like the strange effect on the backing vocals on Hank Snow's 'Rockin' Rollin' Ocean'.....and on a completely different tip...

The Red Army Choir - 'Kalinka'
      - terribly recorded and with a vocal that would put the fear into anyone....run away!....

Gerald Hoffnung - 'The Hoffnung Interplanetary Music Festival'
      - having recently rediscovered his 'At The Oxford Union', I've signed up for more Hoffnung madness - no idea what to expect but included is a libretto for a fake opera....

The Shadows - 'Shadow Music' - a bit of a rarity, this turn of the seventies repackage of a 1966 album is the Australian World Record Club version, the stereo edition taken from the original stampers but with a different sleeve. It's in great condition but unfortunately even mad Shads fans are a bit stand-offish about this one. It's certainly sounds as if the boys are hedging their bets, unsure whether to continue down the beat group trail or retreat into cabaret in the face of 'Revolver' et al. Surprisingly it's the efforts by the Arnold/Martin/Morrow songwriting team ( who I usually loathe). 'Stay Around' and 'One Way To Love' that stand out although 'Razmatazz' is the Shads being more their usual selves...

OST - 'Tender Is The Night' - Richard Rodney Bennett's original music from the BBC TV Fitzgerald adaptation, sounding moody with (I think) some glass orchestra type instrument in there. Also features some slightly racy old timey classics like 'Tea For Two' and 'Let's Misbehave' transcribed from old 78s which are a good listen.

Carmen Amaya - 'Soleares' EP - Been very lucky with my Spanish finds of late. This immaculate 3 track EP (recorded in America) features the footstomping of the world's most famous flamenco dancer with the guitar of Sabicas and singing of Domingo Alvarado, with the A side not included on her 1958 'Flamenco!' album on Brunswick.

Grupo Folklorico de Ibiza - 'Canciones y Bailes Tipicos' - This similarly well preserved EP is something of a revelation, ten short pieces revealing that well before dance music tourists came calling, Ibiza was perfectly capable of producing some very unusual beat based music (caramelles) with weird repeated 'ye-ye-ye-ye-ye-ye' vocals (adapted from old couplets in praise of the Virgin Mary, apparently) accompanied by percussive swords (!), timbrels, flageolets and the other worldly pipe sounds of (I think) the Xeremia (hey, they named it after me...maybe)....I wish there was some of this stuff on Youtube - it's unbelievable!...meanwhile over in Ireland...

Patricia Cahill - 'Summer's Daughter' - This pure voiced songstress must have caused something of a stir in Ireland with this 1970 effort on Deram including as it does such risque songs as 'The Look Of Love', 'If You Go Away' and 'How Insensitive' - there's even a montage of songs from Jim Webb's 'How Sweet It Is', but that's as funky as it gets, since Miss Cahill never once deviates from her perfect angelic enunciation. Arranged by Max Harris with sleeve notes by Sir Val of Doonican - careful now...

Sean O'Riada, Ceoltoiri Chualann & Sean O'Se - 'O'Riada' - This scholarly album, recorded live in Dublin in 1969 is a pleasant surprise, a great band that includes Paddy Moloney on pipes, with a good range of songs and instrumentals. The sleeve notes have increased my knowledge of Carolan's 'planxties' of which a generous number are included. Modern folk that feels like it is still organically connected with the Irish golden age, I'm very happy with this.

...and a bonus find to finish on...

Siouxsie & The Banshees - 'Israel' (12") - reputedly only available for a week on release, this French pressing erroneously lists the running time of both sides at 12 minutes, and in this condition, my £1 investment might easily net me 10-15....happy days....
      you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Found a new spot recently, there's some rented kinda art spaces and there's a woman who sells her art and she also has boxes of records for cheap-as-chips. I was told there is a fella moving into one of the spaces that can be rented and he builds cigar box guitars, so im going to be frequenting the place more often, and on the first floor as you walk in there's a small kinda living room looking place where there's a fair few boxes of records too. This is in Liverpool btw, anyone wants any info just PM me.

Super blues playing on this.

Jack Dejohnette on drums and stuff, nice latin feel to this one, funky.

Needed this one.

My first introduction to fairport convention, im now branching out to the more folky psych/acid stuff now, digging this proper.

This one's been on my wantlist for a while, cheap filler copy that plays pretty well.

More cheap prog that aint bad in parts.

B side to this is killer. spooky soul.

And another classic added to the collection.

Comment

Originally posted by stylesforfree View Post

Super blues playing on this.
          I remember my dad playing me this years ago when I wasn't very interested in this kind of thing at all and then Season of the Witch came on and I realised it was the sample from Ya Mama by the Pharcyde. And that was my induction into the world of breaks collecting and the reason I stole my dad's copy of Supersession if he's reading.

Comment

My first introduction to that 'Super Session' album was Giles Peterson playing 'Season of the Witch' on his Radio 1 show in the early hours of 1999. Loved it ever since, my copy is the cheapo 'Embassy' reissue.

ELP the darlings of my store credit piles!
            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

I've got Season Of The Witch on a German splatter vinyl 45.
              Everyone tear down your own little wall
              That keeps you from being a part of it all
              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by Skip View Post
                I remember my dad playing me this years ago when I wasn't very interested in this kind of thing at all and then Season of the Witch came on and I realised it was the sample from Ya Mama by the Pharcyde. And that was my induction into the world of breaks collecting and the reason I stole my dad's copy of Supersession if he's reading.
                Awesome

Comment

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                  [IMG][/IMG]

The sale of the State library's records goes on. Today they dipped below the psychologically important $2.51 barrier. Although the KJ was from a few days ago and was $10. And "Breezy" was from a shop and so cost almost half of what the rest (KJ aside) cost in total.

No comments for a while I am afraid - I have barely scratched the surface of the last batch.

Also a spare Dudley Moore ("Sooz Blooz" etc.). My current copy soon to become a gift.

Some of these better in the 'classical' thread. Must remember next time.
                  Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 19-02-2016, 11:48 AM. Reason: On-going process

Comment

I've been wanting to upgrade my copy of String Beat for a while, managed to get this copy whilst in Warsaw for a good price.

Had to buy these 2 original Polish jazz gig posters whilst I was there too.

Wojciech Skowroński ‎– Blues & Rock - 1973

Bemibem - 1973

Picked up this copy of I Gres 3 recently, some nice bossa nova and dark stuff on here. Definitely an eclectic mix!

Been after a copy of Thematic Scenarios for sometime on account of Spooky Doo by Dick Walter.

Comment

• Been holding on to this lot for a while. Umbrellas up, its raining vinyl.

[IMG][/IMG]

North Atlantic Invasion Force - Black on white/ The Orange patch. Good 2 sider, poppy garage sound
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WYjJLPgezI

Paul Anka - Jubilation/ Everything's been changed. Johnny Harris arrangement on this steady groover from '72.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e8hqbQtsdE

The Fifth Estate- Tomorrow is my turn/ Morning, morning. Good b side from the "Ding dong the witch is dead" gang.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DmeQgyKN6o

CTMF - A glimpse of another time. Top new release from Billy Childish.
                      Harry Violet & The Sharks - Jungle cavalcade / Dance at the Korova. New from Dirty Water. Fantastic live band. Go see them.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bcBFBDzljo

John Shakespeare Orchestra - Fade Out
                      The Ark- Daily reminder
                      The Image - Creation
                      3 above are upgrades. Spares are gone already!

Annapurna - Everything for everybody / Hippy singing the blues. Over the top ceiling lifter. Been after one for ages but they started getting pricey. Only bidder on a cheapie.

Still awake?
                      [IMG][/IMG]

Highlights
                      Clock - Hang on / Your smile. Spanish killer from '71. Shouty fuzz job with brass.

Three man army - Polecat woman/ Take me down from the mountain. Heavy groover courtesy of Mr LDJB.

The Sweet Feeling - Ask me if I'm ready/ Emptyness of love. Fuzz and brass mover from Belgium.

Long time want turned up today.
                      [IMG][/IMG]

ART.461- Holy Cloud / Red flush. Superb, elusive Dutch 2 sider.Produced by Thijs Van Leer. 1st time I've seen it for sale (two Utrechts and not a sniff). Floaty, dreamy intro, gives way to a phased psych prog gem on the top side. Flip is great too. John Eskes (in the hat on the cover, died last year unfortunately) was the keyboard player and driving force behind it.

[IMG][/IMG]

The pitfalls of delving into LDJB's out pile!!
                      All but 2 came from a trade with said plusser.
                      The Group Image - A mouth in the clouds
                      Heaven - Brass Rock 1
                      Zager & Evans
                      Zager & Evans 2525
                      Freedom - Through the years (US)
                      Group Therapy- People get ready for
                      Sunday Funnies
                      Sunday Funnies - Benediction
                      The Quintet - Future tense
                      Thanks Lee, they should keep me busy for a while. Only got these the other day, so need to listen a while before posting anything really.

The American Dream - s/t. Todd Rundgren produced. Really good lp. If you like very early James Gang, you might like this. I'd say this is better actually.
                      1st 2 tracks give you a flavour

Supersister - Pudding & Yesterday (UK copy). Progtastic dutch band. Great stuff. Scarey fuzz keys and everything!

Comment

• Welcome mate. Like what you did with the Heaven sleeve in the pic there
                        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Such a great picture. Played the 1st lp of that set yesterday. Pretty fierce playing.
                          Got your pocket money ready for Glasgow?

Comment

• Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                            Such a great picture. Played the 1st lp of that set yesterday. Pretty fierce playing.
                            Got your pocket money ready for Glasgow?
                            I do mate and have even managed to scrounge a lift through

Comment

• I found this at lunchtime and it's made me happy. Rick's slightlydelic LP - nice UK mono too

..and here's me on another lunchtime with an LP that also made me happy but I had to pay a fair bit more for the pleasure

and a private press punk / new wave LP resting on my favourite bag for life

Comment

• Flogged my copy of The Way We Live at the same time as Fuzzy Duck and Indian Summer. Ain't getting them back
                                There's a track on it I think it's Siderial or something like that I used to like. Didn't go a lot on that "squares in a circle of emptiness" stuff. Same thing though, I'd probably like it more now than I did then.
                                Don't know the Rick Nelson one. Good?

Comment

Working...
                                X