X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medlar
    replied
    Originally posted by babycart View Post
    Andy is opening his porridge drawer, Eine. The Scots make a bulk amount of porridge, pour it into a special drawer where it sets and carve a slice out when they're hungry.

Leave a comment:

• giantchicken
    replied
    Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
    It's a very faithful rendition of the version from the film, complete with big dance band, backing singers and tap dance effects. I do wonder why Mr Legs chose this song to make (as far as I know) the only solo vinyl release of his career.
    Not quite. He was certainly behind this release, which some claim also features some future members of Yes....

...with this oddity on the b-side, with a line up supposedly including Keith Moon and assorted Bonzos (and later added as a bonus track on the CD version of the Bonzo's 'Keynsham')

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    Originally posted by eine View Post
    ............wos' going on here? In terms of no troosers and visual design. Is he in a privy looking out?
    Andy is opening his porridge drawer, Eine. The Scots make a bulk amount of porridge, pour it into a special drawer where it sets and carve a slice out when they're hungry.

Leave a comment:

• eine
    replied
    Andy Stewart - Donald, Where's Your Troosers?:

............wos' going on here? In terms of no troosers and visual design. Is he in a privy looking out?

Leave a comment:

• tjh392
    replied
    Whilst I was in Warsaw I managed to get hold of these two original Polish posters. Both are from 1973 and are A1 size, I'll hopefully get them framed soon.

Leave a comment:

• Agnes_Guano
    replied
    Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
    Amazing sleeve. Never knew Legs Larry Smith had a solo career, any good?
    It's a very faithful rendition of the version from the film, complete with big dance band, backing singers and tap dance effects. I do wonder why Mr Legs chose this song to make (as far as I know) the only solo vinyl release of his career.

Leave a comment:

• bennyboy
    replied

A splendid Bonzo/Nazi crossover, 'Legs' Larry Smith - Springtime For Hitler:

Amazing sleeve. Never knew Legs Larry Smith had a solo career, any good?

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    Post '19' but it was the TOTP theme for a time during the late eighties. Embedded in my head from childhood, they may have commissioned him off the back of his '19' success I don't remember although I do seem to remember it got to about 18 in the charts.

Yep it would seem musicians were using some kind of Wireless MIDI and audio system not commercially available at the time and bass players could strum and play riffs.

I don't see Paul Ross getting one anytime soon sadly.

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
    N-N-N-N-N-Nope! but a great vid. the banks of synths without a single cable is also impressive. Used to annoy me watching TOTP, also the drummers miming to what were clearly drum machines.

these are only Waltham Forest Council's own blue plaques, not the official English Heritage ones (there's also David Bailey and Fanny Cradock, mispelt with two "d"s, round the corner). None for Jonathan and Paul Ross yet

The Star Wars make-up guy was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Freeborn - "the grandfather of modern make-up design". Modelled yoda on a combination of himself and Einstein. He also did the chimps from 2001

Leave a comment:

• Agnes_Guano
    replied
    Mainly from my trawl through the record shops and charity emporia of Southport.

Spike Milligan With The London Symphony Orchestra ‎– Paul Gallico's The Snow Goose:

It's a buyer's market at the moment... Rolf Harris - Again!:

Pete Atkin - Driving Through Mythical America:

The humorous side of mental illness, Steve Wright & The Sisters Of Soul - Get Some Therapy:

Been after an affordable copy of this Scouse Irish classic for a while, and there in a seaside chazza were two. I took the one that hadn't been scoured with wire wool and Ajax. Pat Mooney - Alive In Liverpool:

My Mike Harding collection, nears completion, Mike Harding - God's Own Drunk:

Mike Harding - FooFoo Shufflewick & Her Exotic Banana:

Max Miller - The Cheeky Chappie:

A splendid Bonzo/Nazi crossover, 'Legs' Larry Smith - Springtime For Hitler:

Just feel that smouldering sex appeal, The Grumbleweeds - Mama:

Early eco-awareness and environmentalism from everyone's favourite bearded naturalist, David Bellamy - Brontosaurus Will You Wait For Me?:

Brendan Grace ‎– Visit To Santa/Then He Kicked Me:

The Bonzo Dog Band - Keynsham:

Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, The Alberts, The Temperance Seven:

Billy Connolly - Super Gran:

Tony Blackburn Meets Matt Monro:

Andy Stewart - Donald, Where's Your Troosers?:

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Originally posted by amidar View Post
    I bet you've heard this, great synth miming I especially like the bit where he just runs his hand across a keyboard for no apparent reason not unlike some acts you see these days:
    N-N-N-N-N-Nope! but a great vid. the banks of synths without a single cable is also impressive. Used to annoy me watching TOTP, also the drummers miming to what were clearly drum machines.

'Kenny Wheeler' defo, don't think 'Damon' is deserving of a Plaque yet but I suppose that's up for debate. Star Wars make up guy that's just weird.
    these are only Waltham Forest Council's own blue plaques, not the official English Heritage ones (there's also David Bailey and Fanny Cradock, mispelt with two "d"s, round the corner). None for Jonathan and Paul Ross yet

The Star Wars make-up guy was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Freeborn - "the grandfather of modern make-up design". Modelled yoda on a combination of himself and Einstein. He also did the chimps from 2001

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    Originally posted by giantchicken View Post
    Yup, this one....

...with a bit of a reddy orange graded tint....a tad disappointing....mind you, I met them down the pub and discovered that they actually look like that....

Leave a comment:

• giantchicken
    replied
    Originally posted by jay View Post
    Bit of a piss take if it's the same sleeve what came on mine from roughtrade.

A sleeve to me means something I put the records in. Not a (albeit quite trippy) piece of paper which just half covers the normal sleeve...

Is it the photo of the band members with some weird colour filtering going on?
    Yup, this one....

...with a bit of a reddy orange graded tint....a tad disappointing....mind you, I met them down the pub and discovered that they actually look like that....

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    Originally posted by giantchicken View Post
    Slim pickin's for grim chickens since my last post, I'm afraid.....thought I'd bury them at the end of a dead month....

Franz Ferdinand - 'Do You Wanna'
    !!! vs. LFO - 'Me & Giuliani Down By The Schoolyard' - A couple of bands from the last decade that I thought I could hack and a couple of remixers (Erol Alkan and LFO) that I've had some respect for at various times. On this occasion however, I just find them all noisy and irritating....

Roger Miller - 'Third Time Around' - I admire Roger Miller for his more kooky numbers and his bravery in occasionally leaving the stories in his songs unresolved at a time when that wasn't the done thing. There's little kookiness on this one and while 'The Swiss Maid' exemplifies the second trait quite well, I have to say I prefer Del Shannon's hit version....and Del was a far better yodeller...

Steely Dan - 'Countdown To Ecstasy' - S'pose I ought to be pleased at rescuing one of my favourite albums from the charity shop, but it's my third copy and while it'll do for someone, it's not exactly an inspiring find....

Didn't do a whole lot better in the 45s dept. either....

Easterhouse - 'Get Back To Russia' (promo) - saw Easterhouse a couple of times in the 80s and even had a drink with their main man Andy Perry on one occasion although I found him a bit disappointingly self-centred....Must admit they never really clicked with me - plenty of righteous anger but not really musically innovative enough. This promo annoyingly stretches one song over two sides and thus renders both unplayable...

The Ride - 'Dancing Diamonds' - Self pressed effort by mid 80's Stockport band - rather directionless pop with a sax player who's too clever by half...

Daffyd Iwan - 'Rwy'n Gweld Y Dydd' EP - Like Amidar above, I'm having a bit of a problem making THE WELSH CONNECTION of late. This EP sans pic sleeve was a borderline basket case but cleaned up enough to reveal behind the incessant crackle some rather uninspiring folk ditties accompanied by the guitar skills of someone who'd bought a 'play in a day' manual about 4 hours previously. And then it got stuck on the last track.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - 'Welcome To The Pleasuredome' - Ah, at last, the high watermark of the Fairlight CMI brings some classic pop relief....

Joyce Grenfell - 'Olde Tyme Dancing' EP - Contains one of her 'schoolmistress' sketches which is a redeeming feature I suppose, but also includes a telephone monologue where she splits up with her boyfriend because she has to spend so much time looking after her ailing father. Odd to think that people used to have to buy a record to hear one half of someone's harrowing personal conversations - they're ten a penny on just about any bus ride these days....

Tik & Tok - 'Cool Runnings' - Oft overlooked pioneers of electro-pop. Probably because they weren't very good I suspect...

....ah, thank the lord for the postman....

Cavern Of Anti-Matter - 'Void Beats/Invocation Trex' - well I've raved enough about this over on the February new releases thread so just to say it's highly recommended. I managed to bag one of the limited run of 200 with 'hand made sleeve' although the latter is somewhat underwhelming in truth. I got No.36, so I doubt Ringo will be too perturbed, but I think that's the lowest number 'limited edition' I've landed....and what's with that title? Trex?...Really?

Bit of a piss take if it's the same sleeve what came on mine from roughtrade.

A sleeve to me means something I put the records in. Not a (albeit quite trippy) piece of paper which just half covers the normal sleeve...

Is it the photo of the band members with some weird colour filtering going on?

Leave a comment:

• giantchicken
    replied
    Slim pickin's for grim chickens since my last post, I'm afraid.....thought I'd bury them at the end of a dead month....

Franz Ferdinand - 'Do You Wanna'
    !!! vs. LFO - 'Me & Giuliani Down By The Schoolyard' - A couple of bands from the last decade that I thought I could hack and a couple of remixers (Erol Alkan and LFO) that I've had some respect for at various times. On this occasion however, I just find them all noisy and irritating....

Roger Miller - 'Third Time Around' - I admire Roger Miller for his more kooky numbers and his bravery in occasionally leaving the stories in his songs unresolved at a time when that wasn't the done thing. There's little kookiness on this one and while 'The Swiss Maid' exemplifies the second trait quite well, I have to say I prefer Del Shannon's hit version....and Del was a far better yodeller...

Steely Dan - 'Countdown To Ecstasy' - S'pose I ought to be pleased at rescuing one of my favourite albums from the charity shop, but it's my third copy and while it'll do for someone, it's not exactly an inspiring find....

Didn't do a whole lot better in the 45s dept. either....

Easterhouse - 'Get Back To Russia' (promo) - saw Easterhouse a couple of times in the 80s and even had a drink with their main man Andy Perry on one occasion although I found him a bit disappointingly self-centred....Must admit they never really clicked with me - plenty of righteous anger but not really musically innovative enough. This promo annoyingly stretches one song over two sides and thus renders both unplayable...

The Ride - 'Dancing Diamonds' - Self pressed effort by mid 80's Stockport band - rather directionless pop with a sax player who's too clever by half...

Daffyd Iwan - 'Rwy'n Gweld Y Dydd' EP - Like Amidar above, I'm having a bit of a problem making THE WELSH CONNECTION of late. This EP sans pic sleeve was a borderline basket case but cleaned up enough to reveal behind the incessant crackle some rather uninspiring folk ditties accompanied by the guitar skills of someone who'd bought a 'play in a day' manual about 4 hours previously. And then it got stuck on the last track.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - 'Welcome To The Pleasuredome' - Ah, at last, the high watermark of the Fairlight CMI brings some classic pop relief....

Joyce Grenfell - 'Olde Tyme Dancing' EP - Contains one of her 'schoolmistress' sketches which is a redeeming feature I suppose, but also includes a telephone monologue where she splits up with her boyfriend because she has to spend so much time looking after her ailing father. Odd to think that people used to have to buy a record to hear one half of someone's harrowing personal conversations - they're ten a penny on just about any bus ride these days....

Tik & Tok - 'Cool Runnings' - Oft overlooked pioneers of electro-pop. Probably because they weren't very good I suspect...

....ah, thank the lord for the postman....

Cavern Of Anti-Matter - 'Void Beats/Invocation Trex' - well I've raved enough about this over on the February new releases thread so just to say it's highly recommended. I managed to bag one of the limited run of 200 with 'hand made sleeve' although the latter is somewhat underwhelming in truth. I got No.36, so I doubt Ringo will be too perturbed, but I think that's the lowest number 'limited edition' I've landed....and what's with that title? Trex?...Really?

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    On to this:

Expecting something like 'Blood Sweat and Tears' instead I get 'Herb Alpert' but worse. Straight in the outbox minus its inner sleeve and a quid down the drain.
    It's just pure cheese like James Last doing an album of Country classics which I expect he has done anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X