No announcement yet.

June Finds 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know what you mean ... there's also a track that sounds much too much like Zorba's Dance for my tastes ...

Originally posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    There is a track on "Karate Amazones" which to my ears follows the "Dirty Harry" format - driving rhythm + ethereal vocal overlay. But not as good.
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

• The Highlife comp looks very nice ... if that turned up here, it would be very expensive ...

photobucket alt: i use imgsafe.org cos my company blocks photobucket

Originally posted by Skip View Post
      Nigerian Highlife compilation - African pressing from 1981. Beautiful, sparkling music.

Alternatives to photobucket required - it's annoying the hell out of me and reducing my post rate (which might be a good thing).
      "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

• Originally posted by DerekJ View Post
        Love this ! Really unusual voice but love it.

Derek
        Good isn't it Derek? I played it to Skip, and he thought it had a Muscle Shoals feel. I think he's right. The lp is very good too.
        Everyone tear down your own little wall
        That keeps you from being a part of it all
        Because you've got to be one with the one and all
        You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• I also asked if you were playing it at the right speed 😀 Very unusual voice - I can't think of another like it. Great record.

Comment

• Ah cheers Boi, I got turned on to the discogs page for the pic and could only see Canadian presses, laziness personified. Seems I stumbled upon the remains of someones German disco collection then as there were a few others alongside Hansi but they were either 1980's disco or getting too close to it for my liking so I left alone and what looked like schlager albums if they we any earlier I may have spent more. I'm not near a turntable so had no chance to listen to what I did get as of yet, albeit I already know the DJ Cam.
            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• [QUOTE=DerekJ;
              Also knocked back a copy of The Carnaby - Jump and Dance on Piccadilly issue signed by the band members on the label. He wanted £50 for it - have a dropped a bollock here?

Derek[/QUOTE]

I would have bought it for that if it was in alright nick, but I would sleep easy if I were you. Probably going rate unless it was a minter. I can't imagine the sigs would add much to its value.
              ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackRegent View Post
                I would have bought it for that if it was in alright nick, but I would sleep easy if I were you. Probably going rate unless it was a minter. I can't imagine the sigs would add much to its value.
                Me too - it's a tough one to turn up and I've only ever seen copies at "ambitious" prices.
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Finds from the Greg's Greats Fair in Foxton this weekend. All 78s. For those who don't know this is an annual fair in the house and back garden of Greg Butler. You're confronted by more shellac and vinyl than you'll see anywhere else and to be frank it gave me the heebie jeebies and I almost ran off. It was a very pleasant digging experience though despite the fear of missing vinyl gold in a crate that you'd never get to see unless the fair lasted six months and you had no job or family. Tea and burgers were provided, the sun shone and Spitfires circled overhead (it's near Duxford). Huge thanks to Treeboy for the heads up.

I think I came away with some genuine finds - notably the library 10"s. Greg seemed slightly put out that I'd managed to pull them from the £1 crates - yes everything here was a quid.

Anyway, row by row, left to right:
                  1 Evelyn Dall - My Wubba Dolly - contains the rhyme that Shirley Ellis sings in the Clapping Song - My daddy told me if I was goody that he would buy me a wubba dolly.
                  2 String Dramatics - Conroy Library. Yet to listen properly
                  3 Chappell Library - This side Reg Tilsely, the other side Nino Nardini and Johnny Hawksworth cues. Tilsley is the winner
                  4 Southern Library
                  5 Yma Sumac Exotica
                  6 Zambesi - Stargazers brit kwela joy
                  7 Harmonic library
                  8 The Golden Bird - featuring a canary
                  9 The Heel - Eartha Kitt - just discovering her early stuff, it's wonderful
                  10 Chappell library - crazy western inspired piece
                  11 Conroy Library - the Ultra Sonic Perception WOTAFIND. Crazy Music Concrete wibbly oscillations by Eric Siday. the other side has tracks called Fallout, fallout Aftermath and Eclipse - great Joy
                  12 Modern Dramatics - Bosworth library featuring tracks Threshold of Fear, Relentless Pressure, Mounting Pressure and on the flip Confused Chatter, Uneasy Meeting and Pacemaker - HUGE
                  13 Martini - tommy Whittle Quintet - great fifties modern jazz on reliable Esquire label
                  14 Journey Into Space / Serenade to an Empty room - Frank Weir. Serenade is my pick. Gorgeous sax piece that holds up against all the libraries. very pleased.
                  15 Harmonic library - Architectural Suite. Ideal soundtrack to opening tombs
                  16 Chappell - the other side of #3 above. Didn't realise I'd photographed both sides
                  17 Sydney Bechet jazz - not heard yet
                  18 Alice Babs - God Morgon Mr Eko - weird echo effects on this jazzy ballad
                  19 Ashok Kumar Indian thing
                  20 you can't take it with you - Jesse Price. Nice blues number
                  21 Black Bottom - Spike Jones. Mental Jazz track - probably familiar here
                  22 Talking Budgerigar - an interview with a budgie
                  23 Southern library Les Musiciens D'Autrefois. Lovely piece
                  24 Lake & Berresford Chick Chick Chick Chicken (lay a little egg for me). One to amuse the kids
                  25 La fille de bois - Jean Deny - nice French ballad with deep organ underneath

A happy little haul. My dad came too and picked up some Gene Krupa, King Oliver, Louis Armstrong stuff. A good day's digging. Not regretting leaving anything either, which is rare.

Comment

• That's a fantastic haul. I like the way you've laid it out like a tasty box of chocs, too.

Are there any sought-after Library 10s? I picked a few up from the dildo 'n' vinyl shop in York, but they were ungoogleable back then.
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Detroit is a helluva tune. Funky Nassau and Sock it to em were very dirty, took a few good cleans to get em right. still dont play amazing but well enough.

Contains the version of Fridays Child I already have with the violins, I thought it was the other version with the guitars, still heavy as, can anyone point me in the direction of a release with the version im talking about please?

This is my first, (of hopefully many more) Manu Dibango record and im loving it.

Just thought what the hell, near mint original. probably paid a few quid too much but I was feeling flush.

Comment

• Originally posted by babycart View Post
                        That's a fantastic haul. I like the way you've laid it out like a tasty box of chocs, too.

Are there any sought-after Library 10s? I picked a few up from the dildo 'n' vinyl shop in York, but they were ungoogleable back then.
                        Some of the 10" library LPs are, but there are a lot of items that are basically bland "newsreel" fodder. I guess 78s are similar but I think they don't turn up that often - I've never seen one IRL. There are definitely some that are fiended for, for example these

Comment

• Some nice bits coming up on the thread. Killing it there Skip. They looked tasty enough in your carrier, but presented like that, they're mouthwatering. Don't know why Greg was miffed, he obviously didn't even know he had them there. The man's got too many records. The positive upshot of the day, as you have proved admirably, is that the place hasn't been completely rinsed out over the years. There's still gems to be had if you are prepared to do the work. Just glad you didn't find a copy of that Raymond Scott 78
                          I still reckon The Ultrasonic Perception is a top name for a psych band

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                            Some of the 10" library LPs are, but there are a lot of items that are basically bland "newsreel" fodder. I guess 78s are similar but I think they don't turn up that often - I've never seen one IRL. There are definitely some that are fiended for, for example these
                            Interesting that the Popsike listings only go back to 2013 on the Eric Siday 78s. Is that because it's a fairly recent "discovery"? Or was it well known and people have only recently got round to selling them online?

Comment

• Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                              Some nice bits coming up on the thread. Killing it there Skip. They looked tasty enough in your carrier, but presented like that, they're mouthwatering. Don't know why Greg was miffed, he obviously didn't even know he had them there. The man's got too many records. The positive upshot of the day, as you have proved admirably, is that the place hasn't been completely rinsed out over the years. There's still gems to be had if you are prepared to do the work. Just glad you didn't find a copy of that Raymond Scott 78
                              I still reckon The Ultrasonic Perception is a top name for a psych band
                              I think I know why Greg was miffed. The library 10"s have been there for years. They're not actually his, he's selling them on behalf of a friend and each one came in a new white card sleeve which was stickered/indexed and priced between £5/£10/£15 usually. I have sat down and played through these boxes on at least 3 occasions, buying up the later 78s (1966-70) and methodically playing through the earlier years to make sure I haven't missed anything. I know that the above 10"s were definitely in these boxes so I can only assume somebody has re-sleeved them (I'm not saying the buyer has done this, btw).

What's really bizarre is the Linsey Moore Pye demo in an earlier post. One of those has been floating around at Greg's for years. It looks really interesting, you pull it out, you play it, you file it back. Next year you go, you see it, it looks really interesting, you pull it out, you play, you file it back [repeat]
                              new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

• Greg didn't seem miffed at all. He asked where I'd found them (they were in a section called Interesting Labels so not just randomly filed) but he was a jolly nice very genial chap - I think you'd have to be to invite so many strangers into your house. I'm not going to lose sleep over where they were - I think I must have been one of the first to dig through the box they were in so they must have been there when we all arrived. The Southern's and Conroys were in card sleeves but the others looked like they were in their original sleeves. I'd have loved to have seen what other libraries he had but unfortunately I had to race off to collect my family from the station.

The Linsey Moore was from a boot sale last week - the 7"s at Gregs were too overwhelming. I like it - the b side Linsey's Song is quite nice.

The one regret I do have from Greg's is the sleeve of Jean Deny 78 had the name of another record written on it - it was this:

Comment

Working...
                                X