No announcement yet.

June Finds 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from the 78s these are a few bootsale 10" finds that I hadn't posted yet - cheers Turboellis for the imgsafe tip. Much cleaner interface.

Here's the back of that one - Chinese revolutionary folk songs...

An introduction to jazz from Kenneth Kendall:

and some actual jazz to round off:

Comment

• Haven't had chance to post finds for a while, combo of hitting gigs (AC/DC and Jane's Addiction lately - both off the chain, but JA just edged it for me), poorliness (labyrinthitis - good grief!), being mega-busy and being dead lazy.

So, apologies if this comes across like a hostile take-over.

Respect to anyone who can be arsed to read through the whole lot!!

A leisurely afternoon off work, checking the chazzas in one of Nottingham’s satellite towns. Said suburb is now such a University town that the vinyl is decreasing almost exponentially with the increase in students.

Peter Gordeno – Definitely remember this fella as some light entertainment stalwart of my childhood. Chancing his arm with some live gigs in Russia here (allegedly). Decent stab at ‘Vehicle’ and has a mad moog / beats breakdown on ‘I’ve Got The Music In Me’.

Twiggy – Mostly twee trad jazz stuff, but each side opens up with a groovy / freakbeat (Ok, slightly over-egging it there) type number.

Compleat Dancing Master – Too eclectic, doesn’t allow for any mood to build. Out.

Supercharge ‘Get Down Boogie’ – Genuinely only bought this for the Virgin 12” sleeve, which I’ve never seen before. The tune itself is pish.

All this lot came from the same jaunt as above and will inevitably pad out my trades / freebies selections.

Dodgy Avenue cheapo covers w/’Ain’t No Sunshine’ break
      Love Vibrations – John Schroeder production. Nowt to grab me though.
      Mersey Sound – Some decent R’n’B / pop efforts. However, I’m pretty sure the Mersey sound is “Eeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhmm”? No?
      And a common or garden Easy Listening Comp.

A small selection of items from an afternoon off work, rooting around near Sie’s old manor (Stabo).

2 x TV Themes VV / VG+ classics, which will soon reappear as freebies.
      Goodfoot – Working Man’s Soul type business with the obligatory drum-break hidden away (IIRC they do a bit of a breakdown on ‘Da Do Ron Ron’).
      Count Basie – Lovely condition and on Verve, so had to pick it up purely to pad out my trades bag for down the market next weekend.

This batch came from one of my regular digs in Rob’s Records.

Together Brothers OST – Underrated soundtrack, certainly, the second side has some great archetypal Blaxploitation tunes.
      Roy Budd – Live at Newport. Lovely LP. Don’t think I’d seen this one before. Not sure why it doesn’t get a bit more praise. ‘Quiet Nights’ is up there with his very best.
      Long John Baldry – Bit underwhelming if I’m honest. Until the final track ‘Flying’ which builds into a bit of an epic.
      Joy Division – Yeah, I caved in and bought one from eBay. Couldn’t do with waiting around and hoping one would crop up in ‘the wild’ – what’s viewed as wild these days anyway?

Had five minutes before my bus one recent afternoon, so popped into the BHF shop just near the stop.

Niemen ‘Dziwny Jest Ten Świat’ and three sleeveless LPs – Niemen ‘Enigmatic’, Breakout ‘Karate’, Niebiesko Czarni. Not really doing it for me, so all will be free to a good home when I next get chance to engage in my release-into-the-wild programme.

Kieran White was a good deal (cheap, with free postage) off eBay and is a bit of a folk-funk classic. Pretty solid LP really, far more to it than ‘Cajun Moon’.

Nipped to a record fair for the first time in ages last weekend but one. Not much to be found in the way of bargains, but was able to look at loads of lovely psych, prog and Brit Jazz (‘Black Marigolds’, ‘Septober Energy’, ‘Afreaka’ etc etc), all at three figure sums, but maybe one day a splurge could be justified. Anyway, I’m happy enough with the three I came back with, having haggled all prices down a wee bit.
      ‘Toomorrow’ – Obviously, ‘Spaceport’ is a killer, but I quite like some of the other swinging / pop-psych tunes.
      Heaven ‘Brass Rock’ – the sleeve on this one is intact but battered, so I got it cheap. Nowt wrong with the vinyl though, so I can live with the sleeve being gubbed and offer my better condition copy for trade (which I’ll get round to soon ……………..or soonish).
      ATDI ‘Relationship of Command’ – still sounds completely ace, if a little more ‘pop’ than I remember. Or is that indicative of this kind of sound having moved into the mainstream more in the intervening years? Either way, you can’t mess with ‘Arcarsenal’, ‘One Armed Scissor’, ‘Rolodex Propaganda’ et al.

Though slowing down on the 12”s lately (more by accident than design), I’ve picked up these few:
      Q Lazzarus – Quid in a charity shop for this hard-to-find, dark classic. Not sure it’s one for dropping at my mate’s 40th though - dancefloor may clear as folk go and hide. You don’t want to know what I do when I put this tune on. Hint: Origami of the gooch.
      Echo & The Bunnymen – Donnie Darko vibes. Why on earth did they mess with this in the (frankly abysmal) Director’s Cut? 28:06:42:12
      ‘This Charming Man’ – Why pamper life’s complexities? Not sure how completist I’m gonna be with The Smiths 12”s. Reckon I may just stick to those that I actually like. Usually a good idea eh?
      Prince – Peak period for me. I’m still having those ‘Shit. He’s really dead’ realisations - like Sam Malone in the fantastic ‘Bar Wars: Hallowe’en’ episode of Cheers – “What if he’s really dead?!”. Just doesn’t seem right.

These lot all came from a good rummage in Rob’s.

‘Up The Junction’ – Would imagine has a fair following round these parts? Nice to add to my nascent soundtrack collection, even though, after cleaning the vinyl, I think I overpaid.
      Johnnie Spence Big Band – Possibly too light and parpmongous for me. ‘Sugar Beat’ is the stand-out, but even that may not justify keeping it.
      Peggy Lee – Could and should have been so much better, even ‘Love Song’ is a let-down. Out pile.
      Chris Bickley etc Band ‘Gonna Fly Now’ – insane version of the title track, breakdowns and all sorts.

More from Rob’s a couple of weeks back -
      Barbara Dickson – Word to the wise (and the unwise, in which I include myself), here is a cheapo (£2 in this case) budget way of acquiring many of the tunes from Babs’ early, scarce collectable and altogether pricier folk LPs.
      Barefoot In The Park OST – Nice, swinging jazz.
      Roy Budd Trio – Not quite as good as his ‘Live at Newport’ set, to say the least. Think I’ll hang on to it, but it’s pretty limited in appeal.
      If – German (?) Two-fer of jazz-rock titans. Can’t go wrong at all. Yes, there’s lots of noodling, but there’s plenty of groove to accompany it. A strangely overlooked combo that bear favourable comparison with the far better regarded Nucleus.

Some more cheapo chazza finds from my various wanderings over the past month. All heading towards the exit at varying speeds.

Dalley Dozen – I was expecting parpage. Parpage I got. Just that teeny bit to cheesy and lightweight for me.
      Brass Impact – As above. Slightly more ‘oomph’ in this case and with nice vocal accompaniment.
      Pufnstuf OST – Aren’t drugs great? Whoever green-lit this must have been completely off their napper on monkey-juice.
      Johnny Hartman – It was a quid. And it’s on Perception. It’s just a bit too polite and straight for me.

These lot came from more tetanus-tempting digging at Rob’s Records. You take your wellbeing in your own hands, but blimey can you find some interesting records if you’re prepared to put in a shift.

Two Ventures LPs – Both ace. I really should make more effort to pick up The Ventures’ stuff – I always had them marked down as a US version of The Shadows. Clearly, to my shame, I was some way wide of the mark.
      Noel Coward / Norrie Paramor – Well, I just saw Nick Ingman’s name in the credits and wondered, really, how bad could it be. Quite bad.
      Don Harper & Denny Wright ‘Combo’ – The kind of album this site exists for, methinks. I reckon I’d looked at this one on five or six consecutive visits to Rob’s but been perturbed by the recording / release dates (1977 and 1978 respectively) so kept putting it back. And this is despite the backing band being the usual library suspects. Shouldn’t have worried. Finally gave in and chucked it in the bag, to find that there’s at least two library-esque bangers on here, with loads more going on besides. ‘Belly Dancer’ is the stand-out. Don’t pay much for it mind, but don’t leave it behind for God’s sake.

After the record fair I mentioned earlier, I had a look round the chazzas in some towns not too far from that location. No keepers though.

Down Tijuana Way – Surprisingly good version of ‘Louie Louie’ (here titled ‘Lovie Lovie’).
      Peter Covent – Canon fodder.
      Johnny Howard – Ditto.
      Wind Quintet (was purely making up numbers – looked interesting enough to take down to the market).

From the same expedition as above:

Johnny Gregory Orchestra TV Themes – Think this is just that bit too early for me. Thought it would have more swing to it, but it’s in lovely (if very heavy) condition.
      Ray Charles Singers – Making up the numbers in some offer or other. Will pad out my Trades bag.
      Barbara Thompson – Bit too ‘late’ / clinical sounding, but has some killer moments (Part two of ‘Temple Song’ is wicked.)
      Diane Solomon – For the sleazy version of ‘Sunshine Superman’ innit? A nice freebie for someone when I get round to it.

Same jaunt, different town -

Astrud Gilberto – pure quality, £1 incredibly well spent.
      Northumbrian Pipes - Making up the numbers, in the Trades bag already (I figured I’ll get my £1 back on a Topic release!).
      Sounds Familiar – Working Man’s Soul stuff again. Nearly there, but not quite. Actually quite professional / proficient. Just lacks that one stand-out groover.
      The Disciples – Canon fodder version of JCS. Again, a worthwhile freebie for someone.

Norman Castle – Woeful. The sleeve art is the only redeeming feature!
      Xian thing – Couple of acid folk / femme vox tracks which sounded worth persevering with when I did the needle drop thing.
      Lightnin’ Red – Again, a nice freebie for someone who’s yet to hunt down ‘Funky Friday’.
      Jersey Ile D’Amour – In an otherwise unmitigated onslaught of cabaret naffness, the track about St Ouen is nearly there.

Random selection from various sources (like you, I’m losing the will to carry on now!).

Max Roach Trio – Need another listen. Didn’t grab me on first listen though.
      The Associates – Cheapo copy off the ‘Bay. Bit scuffed, so need to track down an upgrade soonish. Quality album though and great to see them getting their critical (over)dues. Shame it never happened while Billy was around mind.
      Terry Riley – Popped into the charity shop near work last Friday evening and this was at the back of a box, behind the Mrs Mills and Jim Reeves. Random. Not my cuppa at all, but should be easy to punt on.
      Jellybread – Was actually next to the Terry Riley! Crazy. I’d wondered whether a collection had been donated and these two were the left-overs, but any local collector would definitely have taken these as well, so who knows what was going on? To be honest, I found this quite workmanlike sub-Mac blues. Looked like a keeper, but it’s in the Trades bag already. I even think I already know which of my market dealer’s customers will take it off him eventually!

And, in a 4 for £2 deal down at BHF the other day……

Original Tropicana Steel Band – I only got involved with the deal so as I could get this one (and cos it’s pennies towards charity). It’s nowhere near the level of the exalted 1976 LP. Passable disco grooves and some sampleable moments. ‘Don’t Wanna Lose You’ (Nick Ingman) almost justifies hanging on to it………….but not quite.
      Piano Hits - Out
      Peter Knight Orchestra - Demons
      Buddy Holly - Out

Right, now to sort the piles out with some finality. As if......
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

• What a mixed bag Ben! Fuzzy & Wild off the Ventures Wild Things lp does it for me everytime. I'm pretty sure I've got a spare sleeve for that lp if you want it.
        Everyone tear down your own little wall
        That keeps you from being a part of it all
        Because you've got to be one with the one and all
        You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• Originally posted by LDJB View Post
          Me too - it's a tough one to turn up and I've only ever seen copies at "ambitious" prices.
          Originally posted by BlackRegent View Post
          I would have bought it for that if it was in alright nick, but I would sleep easy if I were you. Probably going rate unless it was a minter. I can't imagine the sigs would add much to its value.
          To be honest i didn't know it, and had never seen one before. Checked it out when i got home and do like it. The record was vg+ to ex condition. He will most likely still have it next sunday if someone wants it i can pick it up.

Derek

Comment

• A bit of a 45 round up. Sorry for the long post.

Good RnRish version of a VG+ fave

Time to ditch the one tracker LP

Has everyone on here got one of these now?

Funky library style flip with fuzz and drums

Spanish version of 'summertime' in a Billy Stewart style on here

Great EP by this ace Spanish garage band

Decent version

Kiddie pop fuzz

Ace and weird TV theme tune

Class 60s mod pop with a stinging fuzz break

Good 2 sider from an unlikely source. Popsike & freakbeat sides.

Amazing mellotron led psych ballad

Fun Irish bubblegum fuzzer

Blues geezers do psych

US garage

Great stonking garage pop tune. Sounds a little bit like the Seeds.

Funky soul

Funky Spanish gear with breakz

Picked this up for a quid - already have a US copy already but hey...

Lovely Popsike

Mr Farlowe does some soul stomping.

A Sayers psych soul spin

Got given this for nowt. Spoken word and groovy library snippets.

Nice psych funk instro flip on a rubbish bowling themed 45. Can't find much about this on the Internet.

The first, grittier, version of this psych classic

Toussaint produced funk by RnB giant.

Great popcorn flip from Cleo.

Funky skinhead reggae. Got it for a pittance at a fair and seems to be fairly sought after.

Minty Spanish copy of an embarrassing gap in the collection.

Early Hendrix / Knight funky instrumentals

Does what it says on the tin

Good flip on this euro cheapie

Interesting post punker

Garage soul cover a go-go

I'll be back with more when I've done a PO run
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• I'm very interested if you're serious Derek.

Originally posted by DerekJ View Post
              To be honest i didn't know it, and had never seen one before. Checked it out when i got home and do like it. The record was vg+ to ex condition. He will most likely still have it next sunday if someone wants it i can pick it up.

Derek

Comment

• Great selection Lee.!
                Feeling mighty left out on the Tarot front.....one day!
                I've got Hunose by The Live Five which is a cracker. Don't know the Billy Page, I'll check that.
                I would have bitten the fellas hand off on the Carnaby 45! Even the repro is creeping up now.

Edit...re Billy Page, had a listen and I was looking for Kim Fowleys name on the label. Classic slice of early LA garage to my ears. Nice find.
                Last edited by treeboy; 20-06-2016, 11:23 PM. Reason: Playing catch up as usual!
                Everyone tear down your own little wall
                That keeps you from being a part of it all
                Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                  Me too - it's a tough one to turn up and I've only ever seen copies at "ambitious" prices.
                  Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                  I'm very interested if you're serious Derek.
                  Have sent you a PM, Derek

Comment

• Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                    Interesting that the Popsike listings only go back to 2013 on the Eric Siday 78s. Is that because it's a fairly recent "discovery"? Or was it well known and people have only recently got round to selling them online?
                    Not really sure. I think they any electronic library tracks are interesting to a lot of people - ones of that vintage just don't turn up much. Discogs is kind of similar with one sale in 2013 only but 30+ people with it on wants lists.

Comment

• Originally posted by DerekJ View Post
                      Have sent you a PM, Derek
                      Thank you sir.

Comment

• Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
                        Pufnstuf OST – Aren’t drugs great? Whoever green-lit this must have been completely off their napper on monkey-juice.
                        Wow, you're not kidding. Industrial strength chimp grade monkey juice.

The Downstairs Lounge
                        http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                        http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                          Not really sure. I think they any electronic library tracks are interesting to a lot of people - ones of that vintage just don't turn up much. Discogs is kind of similar with one sale in 2013 only but 30+ people with it on wants lists.
                          Despite having my chips slight pee'd on by Col I'm still calling this a find and still awarding myself a small but audible ooof.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
                            there's also a track that sounds much too much like Zorba's Dance for my tastes ...
                            Picked up a good version of "Zorba..." last year in Italy:

Comment

• Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
                              Wow, you're not kidding. Industrial strength chimp grade monkey juice.

This passed as standard kids tv for us backintheday...

Comment

• Some pretty cool finds, Terry Riley in a chazza gives me hope, know he's not your cup of tea Ben but an OOoofff from me and yes I love 'Together Brothers' I first heard the title track used on some dodgy ninja film from the 80's, loved it ever since the only Barry White that resides on my shelves the rest are in the garage.

I had a trot around St Andrews yesterday and didn't do too badly, planning on doing the same tomorrow I have a mould issue with one record I may buy but its probably gone now anyway!

Why is it Kenneth Kendall always makes me think of Crass.
                                Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Working...
                                X