June Finds 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sie-Fly View Post
    Love their debut over anything else they did ....
    First three are great!
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• Originally posted by treeboy View Post
      I think it's their best too.
      Killer LP.
      "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• A dismal rainy Sunday is allowing me to catch up a bit on recent purchases. These from last weekend's car boot where for a change there were actually some records to look through.

David Sylvian – Brilliant Trees
        David Sylvian – Gone To Earth
        Japan – Oil On Canvas

Bulking/minting up my David Sylvian / Japan collection. Can be a little samey but they produce some good musical landscapes.

An Invitation to Windham Hill. This was the sort of thing I thought might have some pedigree on here. Can't find many references, and those I have found seem to be pretty dismissive. Played one side so far, ambient/folk/jazz/classical instrumentals, some ok moments, good background music I guess.

Woody Herman – The Herd Rides Again
        . My second “Herd” in recent weeks. Yet to play but the other one gave enough encouragement to pick this one up.

Al Di Meola – Splendido Hotel. Liked Roller Jubilee at the time, this was minty so couldn't leave it. Not enthralling from what I've played so far.

Nanci Griffith – The Last Of The True Believers. There was a fair amount of country in one box. A combination of mint appearance and the Woolworth's sign (not the Woolworth's, granted) was enough for me to dip a toe in the Country lake. Heading for the out pile.

Gato Barbieri – Euphoria. The last time I bought a Gato album I swore never to buy another one. I do not like his strangled sax sound. So why on earth did I buy this one?

Dory Previn – Mythical Kings & Iguanas
        . Pick up her albums when I see them. Usually at least one worthwhile track to be found. Yet to explore.

Jerry Reed & Chet Atkins – Me And Chet. Not too Country, and some nice picking. Chet can really conjure some sounds out of that canoe paddle!

Sammy Price – Barrelhouse and Blues. The second white label blues album for me in recent weeks. The sleeve is a paper version of the Black Lion label cover art Sellotaped onto a Studio2Stereo album sleeve (Cornet Carillon - GUS (footwear) Band)! Sammy plays some nice piano and this is rather good.

Comment

• Last month at the car boot sale I was just beaten to the first Caravan lp and their subsequent 4 lps and 20+ others, Tom Waits etc in decent nick for about £20.
          Why couldn't he have been on holiday that week? Oh well...

Comment

• Decided to take a trip to a local charity shop on Friday in an attempt to cheer myself up after that result. Lo and behold it had some new stock. I ended up with quite a stack. Nothing to write home about on the musical front, and there are a fair few comedy records in this bundle – spookily from an era before we entered the Common Market and presumably when, a Brexiter will tell you, we were still Great. (enough of that but I had to laugh at finding Fool Britannia).
            What attracted me to many of these albums was the fact they were more than fifty years old and they were mint. Just looking at pristine Picadilly and gold on black Parlophone labels was enough to make me buy these. Spike Milligan and friends should provide some mirth and nostalgia and, wait a minute, I could be half way to being made up as a Brexiter! It just requires another play of these Sounds Orchestral albums which are really rather nice.

Other random noets:

Homegrown is a San Diego radio station compilation of local talent in various genres released in 1975, and has two or three tracks which have some merit, a couple in a sort of rock/soul vein.

Justin Wilson – Keep It Clean is another comedy record which will probably last no more than a couple of minutes on the turntable but was again bought because of the label – Paula. It was odd to see this on the Paula label, which I have always only associated with soul and gospel and 45s.

More German Beer Drinking Songs will be presented to a visiting German colleague at work tomorrow. He is in a team of Germans working with us on a big project at work. A couple of weeks ago they were all over here and we were watching Germany Poland in a local pub. Turns out the landlord's girlfriend is also German and she was there with some of her German friends. The flag was pinned up and red/yellow/black bunting was strung around the room. After the match she put on German drinking songs – it was all quite surreal, I was effectively in Germany in the middle of Bristol. Anyway, this particular colleague put his head in his hands when the German beer drinking songs (and some German pop music) were played – he is a prog rock fan. So he has to have this album.

Comment

• Been picking up the odd thing here and there from Windham Hill would have been dismissed as 80's New Age gubbins by myself a while back but there are some gems to be had I think and some of it has aged quite well. I've got one at the moment I've been spinning I forget the name, ambient piece. There seems to be some nice ethnic jazz on there as well. Not all good but its a label I always pick up now if I see it, usually quite cheap too.
              Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• Originally posted by candiman View Post
                Nanci Griffith – The Last Of The True Believers. There was a fair amount of country in one box. A combination of mint appearance and the Woolworth's sign (not the Woolworth's, granted) was enough for me to dip a toe in the Country lake. Heading for the out pile.
                what do you mean "not the Woolworths's"? you mean not the UK Woolworths? it was the same company originally, started in the US, they just did a good job of appearing British.

Dory Previn – Mythical Kings & Iguanas. Pick up her albums when I see them. Usually at least one worthwhile track to be found. Yet to explore.
                this is the only one I have, thought it was the most common/well known. has pretty much remained in the "should it go or not" state for 15 years, but must have something of interest to keep surviving culls. probably due another listen...

Comment

• Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                  what do you mean "not the Woolworths's"? you mean not the UK Woolworths? it was the same company originally, started in the US, they just did a good job of appearing British.

this is the only one I have, thought it was the most common/well known. has pretty much remained in the "should it go or not" state for 15 years, but must have something of interest to keep surviving culls. probably due another listen...
                  I assumed it was just some random local town lucheonette that just happened to called Woolworth's. But you are probably right - they probably wouldn't have been allowed to use the name.

I have 3 Dory albums now I think, all mentally filed in that (vast) nomansland between file and out box.

Comment

• Think I'd have cried would love to own first presses of 'Land' and 'Girls Who'. I always think 'not meant to be' in those circumstances.

Originally posted by Nizbit View Post
                    Last month at the car boot sale I was just beaten to the first Caravan lp and their subsequent 4 lps and 20+ others, Tom Waits etc in decent nick for about £20.
                    Why couldn't he have been on holiday that week? Oh well...

Comment

• Originally posted by candiman View Post
                      I assumed it was just some random local town lucheonette that just happened to called Woolworth's. But you are probably right - they probably wouldn't have been allowed to use the name.
                      My mum used to listen to a lot of Nanci Griffiths (and other Radio 2 type modern country artists) and there's a song on that album called something like "Love at the Five and Dime" about meeting someone in Woolworths. The lunch cafes were the location for a few civil rights sit-ins as well in the early 60s. Wasn't just all about the pick'n'mix...

I have 3 Dory albums now I think, all mentally filed in that (vast) nomansland between file and out box.
                      you're an optimist with plenty of shelf space then?

Comment

• Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                        First three are great!
                        You are the NE prog king now ... I.Still trust your taste massively though mate !!
                        Rockwell
                        Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• a topical tune I picked up yesterday at the boots : Wimbledon Fortnight Again download

it's better than the A side - released in 1985 when Oxford Utd were promoted to the old 1st division

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

• More time on my hands these days. Less money. It's back to the hard work, often coming home empty handed, occassionally strucking gold. Such was the day today.

Stanley Cowell on Strata-East. Extremely good condition on vinyl and nothing wrong with sleeve. Would describe it as about 1/3 spiritual soul-jazz, 1/3 afro-groove and 1/3 avantgarde/experimental jazz. Excellent. And

Best find of 2016 so far, and I doubt I'll be lucky enough for it not to still be it when the year's over. I'm well happy.
                            "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                            and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• Proper OOffff from me Brainbomb, well done sir!

Comment

• Mixed bag from the charities and boot over t'weekend. Here records here.

Late 70's afro disco from Them Mushrooms, Ray Charles in fine form on UK 45 and Frankie Howerd in not so fine form, ooof.
                                Sticky 12" is decent garage dancehall bizness, Arik Einstein was a punt, fairly MOR soft rock. And can't go wrong with a couple of Ronson tunes on a 10".

Not listened to the Saka Acquaye yet, but looks interesting, 1959 Elektra LP with a great cover. The Tsisperi Trio lp was previously owned by someone in Anchorage, Alaska but has somehow managed to make it's way to a charity shop on the UK's south coast, and is a pleasant listen. Not seen this James Last Hair sleeve before, NICE. The Lightbearers bring a few mildly funky moves to their gospel sounds, and Jebadiah promised much but is pretty fucking awful disco rock workouts. Should have known from the involvement of Michael Zager. Finally, v pleased to find the excellent first 45 from Mayor Hawthorne & The County in all it's heart shaped picture disc loveliness at the boot, great record.

Oh yeah, and a John Hassell Recordings lp of an end of term school production. Atmospheric, gets a bit Tyneham House at points.

Comment

Working...
                                X