Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bennyboy
    replied
    The Nesmith LP has the excellent Capsule. Nice drums.

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    Not listened to any of these yet cheapo charity shop finds. I've just got back from St Andrews but I bought this for 50p before I went I thought it was the best of but silly me it just a repress of 'live at the pickwick' anyway it Mint and I love everything by the Peddlers even if I do have the first press so I'll be a completest only the biggie and 'Live at London' to go and the best of! :

Peddlers - Georgia on My Mind

Not much in the Charity shops of St Andrews and lots of people in Town most of these were a quid or so:

Keep Giving the Shads another go, I like 'Last Train to Clarksville' so it might float my boat:

The Shadows - From, Bruce, Brian and John

When in Scotland... :

Scots Wha Ha'e - Gaberlunzie in Concert

Jackie Lynton - The Jackie Lynton Album

This one looks quite cool but could well be cheese:

This one looks interesting, wind player, produced by Pete Townsend, I've never heard of him myself:

Andy Newman - Rainbow

Had to give Mike Nesmith's solo album from 1979 a go just for the title alone:

Michael Nesmith - Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma

Slim pickings so I treated myself to a second press of 'Boards of Canada - Music has the Right to Children' online because Its one of my favourite albums of all time and I kept meaning to for months. Wont post a stock image of that sure everyone is familiar.

Leave a comment:

• reza
    replied
    more finds, none of them real keepers for me, the Lefon Andrews is soul gospel , the rest are probably all known on here

Leave a comment:

• Sonovox
    replied
    Charity shop found for a pound:

John Cage; Steve Reich - Three Dances; Four Organs. Very pleased to grab a copy of this, the Cage is lovely and noisy and flowing - not pretentious or precious. The Reich is super minimalist and works brilliantly but would certainly mither some eardrums.
    Harry De Wit - Tumult. This looked promising, some avant garde dance/theatre music by someone that builds their own instruments - but it’s not as adventurous as I was hoping.
    Martinu; Janacek - Field Mass; Amarus; some interesting choral pieces.
    The Ventures - Underground Fire. Cracking fuzzy stuff, from 1969 - pretty late for a mono.
    Couple of steel band excursions in LPR and the Original Tropicana Steel Band, neither really grabbing me. I’ve had the OTSB before, it hasn’t magically changed into gold in the interim.
    The Bruton Music - Electric Piano Solos is late 80s and fairly anodyne in the places where I’ve put the needle down.
    Rufus featuring Chaka Khan has unappealing cover art and includes an unappealing giant poster.

They crawled from the cheap bins:

The Sandii and The Sunsetz and Susan albums are Japanese synth pop from the early Eighties, with YMO connections. Intriguing interesting need more listens.
    Rhinoceros - Satin Chickens. Fun bit of 60s rock, great cover.

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    Del Jones' Positive Vibes

Last night I was tipped off about a new stack of records being delivered to a shop I like to go to.

I came across this: Del Jones' Positive Vibes - Court Is Closed, originally recorded in 1973. Psych funk, very reminiscent of Curtis Mayfield.

Never heard of it before but it smelled right and the price was OK ... delighted to find something like this unexpectedly.

Only managed to listen to side 1 so far ...

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Really like the Blue Things by the way. The strange version of 'twist and shout' on the flip is an added bonus too!

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Cheers Paul. Counting back the way it is!

That Smile thing is Bosco - Running the Mardi Gras. No chance of ever even seeing an original so copped the recent reissue.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=07S_mJV1Xn8

Leave a comment:

• treeboy
    replied
    One word Lee....Top A few I'm going to have to check, because I don't know them, but know they will be good. Didn't realise Run Shaker Life was an Alan Tew arrangement.
    I don't even know what the Smile 45 is. Glad you like the Blue Things, but I'll bring something back from Hoorn to even things out a bit.
    After 50, I think it's a good idea to start counting the birthdays backwards from there.

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    A few more 45s - most of these were my birthday pressie from my wonderful wife for my, 'ahem', significant birthday.

Great RnB two sider from a local charity shop (with the Mike Berry Dave Davies tune lurking underneath)

Ace garage psycher - thanks Paul

I guess everyone on here has one of these now (part 2)?

Great fuzzy US 60's punker

Well known Afro Funker with breakz

Funky UK rock from Spoke records faves

Spencer Davis moonlighting on a tough to find UK TV theme tune. Ahhh Jenny Hanley....

Longtime want. Superb mod funk from the 'dancing with the captain' man. Amazing.

Great fuzzy version of the Zombies standard.

Yep! Another fuzzy dancer.

Owned this 45 many moons ago but got rid as I had the LP. Rectifying this foolish mistake. Slightly different version than the LP.

Another funky fuzzy dancer - as comped on LBB thus driving up the prices.

Strange, hard and heavy psych that owes a debt to 'Purple Haze'

Leave a comment:

• Melter
    replied
    Didn't think I'd be buying much more this month after the road trip (posted earlier this month) but as it was my birthday last week it seemed wrong to not at least look!! Picked up some of these in Truro.

Got these three from Music Nostlagia in the Pannier Market.
    Bobby Naughton Units - Understanding. Didn't know this but it looked jazzy, features vibes, clavinet and flute amongst other instruments, and I liked the Hans Richter cover so punted on this. Turns out to be free/improv jazz and might be a stretch too far for me.
    Strawbs - S/T. Been loosely after a copy of Witchwood so again took a punt on this their first album which I hadn't heard. The cover is truly dreadful but there's a nice photo on the back with some serious Afghan coat action going on. Not gripped me yet.
    The London Jazz Four - Take A New Look At The Beatles. One of those I can recall seeing on here at some point. Paid a bit for it but nowhere near Discogs prices. Cool jazz Beatles covers, nothing to dislike there.

Armando Sciascia - Impressions In Rhythm & Sound. Been a few cheap RSD copies on Ebay of late so grabbed one quick smart.
    Os Brazoes - S/T. Birthday present from Deep Down Heavy (cheers bud). Top notch latin psych album. Love it.
    Andre Brasseur - The Fantastic Organ. Cheap comp picked up in Oxfam. Liking Red Dust and Speedy No.1 on this.
    Anita Harris - Nursery Rhymes For Our Times. Quite rare for me to feature a 7" but thought it might be of interest on here. Another cheapie from Oxfam and can't find a listing on Discogs which surprised me. From the blurb on the back it seems to be a follow-on EP from her first album Somebody's In My Orchard which I know has a few fans here. Tracks are: Old Queenie Cole, Eleanor Rigby, Bang Bang, B-A-D For Me. Nice, lazy, crime jazz version of Bang Bang.

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    Some pretty cool finds, Terry Riley in a chazza gives me hope, know he's not your cup of tea Ben but an OOoofff from me and yes I love 'Together Brothers' I first heard the title track used on some dodgy ninja film from the 80's, loved it ever since the only Barry White that resides on my shelves the rest are in the garage.

I had a trot around St Andrews yesterday and didn't do too badly, planning on doing the same tomorrow I have a mould issue with one record I may buy but its probably gone now anyway!

Why is it Kenneth Kendall always makes me think of Crass.

Leave a comment:

• SirSlim
    replied
    Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
    Wow, you're not kidding. Industrial strength chimp grade monkey juice.

This passed as standard kids tv for us backintheday...

Leave a comment:

• SirSlim
    replied
    Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
    there's also a track that sounds much too much like Zorba's Dance for my tastes ...
    Picked up a good version of "Zorba..." last year in Italy:

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
    Not really sure. I think they any electronic library tracks are interesting to a lot of people - ones of that vintage just don't turn up much. Discogs is kind of similar with one sale in 2013 only but 30+ people with it on wants lists.
    Despite having my chips slight pee'd on by Col I'm still calling this a find and still awarding myself a small but audible ooof.

Leave a comment:

• Agnes_Guano
    replied
    Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
    Pufnstuf OST – Aren’t drugs great? Whoever green-lit this must have been completely off their napper on monkey-juice.
    Wow, you're not kidding. Industrial strength chimp grade monkey juice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X