Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stylesforfree
    replied

Detroit is a helluva tune. Funky Nassau and Sock it to em were very dirty, took a few good cleans to get em right. still dont play amazing but well enough.

Contains the version of Fridays Child I already have with the violins, I thought it was the other version with the guitars, still heavy as, can anyone point me in the direction of a release with the version im talking about please?

This is my first, (of hopefully many more) Manu Dibango record and im loving it.

Just thought what the hell, near mint original. probably paid a few quid too much but I was feeling flush.

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    That's a fantastic haul. I like the way you've laid it out like a tasty box of chocs, too.

Are there any sought-after Library 10s? I picked a few up from the dildo 'n' vinyl shop in York, but they were ungoogleable back then.

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied

Finds from the Greg's Greats Fair in Foxton this weekend. All 78s. For those who don't know this is an annual fair in the house and back garden of Greg Butler. You're confronted by more shellac and vinyl than you'll see anywhere else and to be frank it gave me the heebie jeebies and I almost ran off. It was a very pleasant digging experience though despite the fear of missing vinyl gold in a crate that you'd never get to see unless the fair lasted six months and you had no job or family. Tea and burgers were provided, the sun shone and Spitfires circled overhead (it's near Duxford). Huge thanks to Treeboy for the heads up.

I think I came away with some genuine finds - notably the library 10"s. Greg seemed slightly put out that I'd managed to pull them from the £1 crates - yes everything here was a quid.

Anyway, row by row, left to right:
    1 Evelyn Dall - My Wubba Dolly - contains the rhyme that Shirley Ellis sings in the Clapping Song - My daddy told me if I was goody that he would buy me a wubba dolly.
    2 String Dramatics - Conroy Library. Yet to listen properly
    3 Chappell Library - This side Reg Tilsely, the other side Nino Nardini and Johnny Hawksworth cues. Tilsley is the winner
    4 Southern Library
    5 Yma Sumac Exotica
    6 Zambesi - Stargazers brit kwela joy
    7 Harmonic library
    8 The Golden Bird - featuring a canary
    9 The Heel - Eartha Kitt - just discovering her early stuff, it's wonderful
    10 Chappell library - crazy western inspired piece
    11 Conroy Library - the Ultra Sonic Perception WOTAFIND. Crazy Music Concrete wibbly oscillations by Eric Siday. the other side has tracks called Fallout, fallout Aftermath and Eclipse - great Joy
    12 Modern Dramatics - Bosworth library featuring tracks Threshold of Fear, Relentless Pressure, Mounting Pressure and on the flip Confused Chatter, Uneasy Meeting and Pacemaker - HUGE
    13 Martini - tommy Whittle Quintet - great fifties modern jazz on reliable Esquire label
    14 Journey Into Space / Serenade to an Empty room - Frank Weir. Serenade is my pick. Gorgeous sax piece that holds up against all the libraries. very pleased.
    15 Harmonic library - Architectural Suite. Ideal soundtrack to opening tombs
    16 Chappell - the other side of #3 above. Didn't realise I'd photographed both sides
    17 Sydney Bechet jazz - not heard yet
    18 Alice Babs - God Morgon Mr Eko - weird echo effects on this jazzy ballad
    19 Ashok Kumar Indian thing
    20 you can't take it with you - Jesse Price. Nice blues number
    21 Black Bottom - Spike Jones. Mental Jazz track - probably familiar here
    22 Talking Budgerigar - an interview with a budgie
    23 Southern library Les Musiciens D'Autrefois. Lovely piece
    24 Lake & Berresford Chick Chick Chick Chicken (lay a little egg for me). One to amuse the kids
    25 La fille de bois - Jean Deny - nice French ballad with deep organ underneath

A happy little haul. My dad came too and picked up some Gene Krupa, King Oliver, Louis Armstrong stuff. A good day's digging. Not regretting leaving anything either, which is rare.

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackRegent View Post
    I would have bought it for that if it was in alright nick, but I would sleep easy if I were you. Probably going rate unless it was a minter. I can't imagine the sigs would add much to its value.
    Me too - it's a tough one to turn up and I've only ever seen copies at "ambitious" prices.

Leave a comment:

• BlackRegent
    replied
    [QUOTE=DerekJ;
    Also knocked back a copy of The Carnaby - Jump and Dance on Piccadilly issue signed by the band members on the label. He wanted £50 for it - have a dropped a bollock here?

Derek[/QUOTE]

I would have bought it for that if it was in alright nick, but I would sleep easy if I were you. Probably going rate unless it was a minter. I can't imagine the sigs would add much to its value.

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    Ah cheers Boi, I got turned on to the discogs page for the pic and could only see Canadian presses, laziness personified. Seems I stumbled upon the remains of someones German disco collection then as there were a few others alongside Hansi but they were either 1980's disco or getting too close to it for my liking so I left alone and what looked like schlager albums if they we any earlier I may have spent more. I'm not near a turntable so had no chance to listen to what I did get as of yet, albeit I already know the DJ Cam.

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    I also asked if you were playing it at the right speed 😀 Very unusual voice - I can't think of another like it. Great record.

Leave a comment:

• treeboy
    replied
    Originally posted by DerekJ View Post
    Love this ! Really unusual voice but love it.

Derek
    Good isn't it Derek? I played it to Skip, and he thought it had a Muscle Shoals feel. I think he's right. The lp is very good too.

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    The Highlife comp looks very nice ... if that turned up here, it would be very expensive ...

photobucket alt: i use imgsafe.org cos my company blocks photobucket

Originally posted by Skip View Post
    Nigerian Highlife compilation - African pressing from 1981. Beautiful, sparkling music.

Alternatives to photobucket required - it's annoying the hell out of me and reducing my post rate (which might be a good thing).

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    I know what you mean ... there's also a track that sounds much too much like Zorba's Dance for my tastes ...

Originally posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    There is a track on "Karate Amazones" which to my ears follows the "Dirty Harry" format - driving rhythm + ethereal vocal overlay. But not as good.

Leave a comment:

• DerekJ
    replied
    Originally posted by treeboy View Post
    Look forward to hearing the verdict on some of those unusual 78s Skip. What a lovely afternoon that was
    Picked up a couple of bits at Gregs. Very rare I find something there that I'm looking for, but on the way out I found a copy of this big O fuzzer

This too on 45
    Love this ! Really unusual voice but love it.

Derek

Leave a comment:

• treeboy
    replied
    Look forward to hearing the verdict on some of those unusual 78s Skip. What a lovely afternoon that was
    Picked up a couple of bits at Gregs. Very rare I find something there that I'm looking for, but on the way out I found a copy of this big O fuzzer

This too on 45

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    Had a rewarding day at Greg's Greats record fair in Foxton today - some proper finds to follow. It's lots of 78s though so some editing required if I'm not going to take up a whole page. In the meantime these are a few from what's been until today a relatively quiet month...

A charity shop purchase - two sides is one side of gospel with Sam Cooke and the Soul Stirrers, the other side is his solo pop stuff but none of the more familiar ones. A gorgeous Sunday morning lp.

A boot sale find - Barbara Moore on Production. Wonderfully winsome girl pop.

Nigerian Highlife compilation - African pressing from 1981. Beautiful, sparkling music.

Alternatives to photobucket required - it's annoying the hell out of me and reducing my post rate (which might be a good thing).

Leave a comment:

• Boi Bach o Bethel
    replied
    Originally posted by amidar View Post
    Busy day and week coming up but still managed to do a few chazzas in a town I've not done for a bit. Wished I'd took a pic but 'Cancer Research' had '19.99 on Amazon/Ebay' with varying prices on albums once even said '10 on CD!' like the market for collectible CD's has any kind of crossover. Made me laugh but I left with this cheap/exploito comp:

Various - The Name of the Game Cheapest at 3 quid and probably the best thing there.

On to the Red Cross for a couple of 50p jobs. Seem to remember someone bigging this up so I gave it a go:

Shelly Manne/Andre Previn etc - My Fair Lady

Some MFP Xian from the same shop:

Kids Praise 2

On to another and these 2 at 1.99 a pop, they also had a Voodoo Party with a European Sleeve but I'm not that much of a completist and quite skint. Funny couldn't find one for years and found 2 since I got given one.

Penny McLean - Penny Canadian Disco I think from 1977.

Supermax - Don't Stop the Music German Disco released in 1977.

On to the Oxfam bookshop had some interesting Blues and Jazz on Fontana some I had other heavily priced up especially the Blues stuff. They had a mint 'Curried Jazz' hidden in the classical section but I couldn't justify the £19.99 price tag so got this double for £3.99 instead:

DJ Cam - Substances Some DJ hairlines on one record but the other is clean both should play fine I hope. 90's trip hop I suppose. :

Penny McClean isn't Canadian is an Austrian session singer turned Disco mainstay on the West German Disco scene. Trivia for VG+ fans , she was married Holger Münzer (who released 2 great psych folk singles after they divorced) she did a cover of the Parchment Hit light up the fire (in German) before joining the later Silver Convention.

Leave a comment:

• DerekJ
    replied
    Visited the local booter today for the first time in 3 months.

Picked up a few recent singles nothing too exciting, but did pick up a nice clean copy of The Wailers - Bend down low on UK Island.

Also knocked back a copy of The Carnaby - Jump and Dance on Piccadilly issue signed by the band members on the label. He wanted £50 for it - have a dropped a bollock here?

Derek

Leave a comment:

Working...
X