X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SirSlim
    replied
    Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
    Went on a 14 hour dig last Sunday. It was a lot of fun but tiring ...

Thanks to members of the list for turning me on to this one ...
    Isn't that the one "sampled" by Byrne and Eno on "my life in the bush of ghosts"?

Leave a comment:

• SirSlim
    replied
    Originally posted by amidar View Post
    Picked these up from the charity shop today this first one from the 80's on Virgin, never heard of them but saw 'Harry Beckett' on one of the tracks so though it's worth 2 quid it is a double. :

Working Week - Payday
    Working Week grew out of Weekend, which in turn grew out of the ashes of Young Marble Giants.

The one Weekend Lp "la variete" is a classic in my house - still sounds great.

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    I'm on track one its alright, production wise your'e right but the rhythms are pretty cool the sax is edging to that 'Careless Whisper', 'Kenny G' sound so beloved of jazz of this era. It looks unplayed so I might keep it if its solid throughout.

To be fair I've avoided all eighties jazz in the main until recently probably put eighties Acid Jazz in there as well. Blame 'Kenny G' I always do. Oh and its no keeper its all over the place style wise one minute it gets quite spiritual then goes all 'Lisa Stansfield' on my ass or even worse it reminds me of the eighties film output of 'Sting' don't ask me why, its not a vision I wanted in my head today.

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    what's up with those hoods on the Neil Young disc?

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Originally posted by amidar View Post
    Nope never ever seen it, definite London jazz scene job I'd wager. I'm taking it that its not aged well then?
    it's ok I guess, suffers a bit from 80s production. Not sure it's worth the shelf space though when there's better jazz records to own.

ooh there's a video for "Inner City Blues" with some nice footage of grimy London (before it became all investment flats and branches of Costa):

(cuts off before the "rap" section though)

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    Nope never ever seen it, definite London jazz scene job I'd wager. I'm taking it that its not aged well then?

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    isn't Working Week "Working Nights" a charity shop regular round you then? maybe it's a London thing

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    Picked these up from the charity shop today this first one from the 80's on Virgin, never heard of them but saw 'Harry Beckett' on one of the tracks so though it's worth 2 quid it is a double. :

Working Week - Payday

This comp featuring 'Aesop Rock' , 'Prefuse 73' jazzy hip hop, glitch hop, probably from the time I finally found myself behind the curve electronica wise around 2004 I think.

Urban Renewal Program Supplement 1.5

These were from the same seller on ebay no one out bid me so got them at a really good price, the third and fourth 'Future Islands' albums. :

Future Islands - In the Evening Air

Future Islands - On The Water

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied

Picked this up based on smell alone ... actually I had to have a listen because of a nasty looking patch which turned out to be OK ... and the music lives up to the title ... a lot of fun and never seen it before

I'll post some others later ...

we were digging until about 10 p.m. and I felt like an amateur

the last shop had some amazing reggae which you don't see a lot of in Japan but the prices were too silly ... when I told the owner that his prices were too high, he actually agreed with me, but even after he'd agreed to knock some money off I still felt the prices were too high ... the human voice was the most expensive record I bought that day and it was about a fiver ...

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied

Picked this up based on smell alone ... actually I had to have a listen because of a nasty looking patch which turned out to be OK ... and the music lives up to the title ... a lot of fun and never seen it before

I'll post some others later ...

we were digging until about 10 p.m. and I felt like an amateur

the last shop had some amazing reggae which you don't see a lot of in Japan but the prices were too silly ... when I told the owner that his prices were too high, he actually agreed with me, but even after he'd agreed to knock some money off I still felt the prices were too high ... the human voice was the most expensive record I bought that day and it was about a fiver ...

Leave a comment:

• spacefin
    replied
    Originally posted by stylesforfree View Post
    Also, how do I make my pics smaller on here? or do I need to edit them on my computer first?
    I believe it's a matter of computer editing yes. For the 45s you could probably put them together and showcase them in one shot at that resolution, though.

I'd pick up every one of those 45s incidentally. Good work on the Winstons.

Leave a comment:

• stylesforfree
    replied
    A couple of Curtis Mayfield Upgrades. 2 of my favourites from the master.

Nice drum break on this and story book children, hot damn!

Couldnt pass this up for a tenner in ex condition

Another upgrade, absolute mint copy

Heavy funk number, recommended

Up tempo mod funk stomper

Impulse buy, in the same vein as twine time, heavy.

Also, how do I make my pics smaller on here? or do I need to edit them on my computer first?

Leave a comment:

• smartiepants
    replied
    only a couple of buys for me this week, both fleabay bids that i did not expect to get

Leave a comment:

• The Divine One
    replied
    Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
    I haggled the 5th, 7th and 4th Beatles fan club flexi's down to a fiver for all 3 at a car boot at 7am
    You wouldn't really want to be paying any more than a fiver, would you...

That Bo Diddley EP is a corker, love that track Diddling!

Leave a comment:

• Head Gardener
    replied
    some odds & ends I have picked up at car boots and a record fair

This 7" was right up my street, the B side offers advice on growing veg

It still amazes me that records like this can still turn up in charity shops for 50p,
    this put in the racks of the Red Cross shop last Tuesday whilst you were at work!

I haggled the 5th, 7th and 4th Beatles fan club flexi's down to a fiver for all 3 at a car boot at 7am

I was a 50p sucker for this Videodisc of Neil Young's classic concert film, no I don't need it and no I can't play it, but it looks nice!

This 2 x 12" pack by The Avalanches was one of only 2 records I picked up at the record fair yesterday.

the other 1 was this old Mo Wax 10"

The oddest LP I found over the weekend was this Deutsche Grammophon (promo?) in a record warehouse sleeve,
    it's a kind of Christmas card album featuring The Nutcracker Suite

Leave a comment:

Working...
X