july 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
    Dragged myself out out bed at 6am on Sunday morning, wondering why I bother as there'll be no records today, whats the point and why do I put myself through it.
    bennyboy, very nice haul ...

I go through exactly the same on a Saturday morning at exactly the same time ... as we all know, you never know when the diamonds are going to sparkle from within the shit ... for me last Saturday, it was this Doors EP in very good condition and from 1969!

A very unusual find, and it'll be funding my other more adventurous purchases for a while I hope.
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

I was also pleasantly surprised to find this super cheap in a shop where I suspect the guy doesn't know very much about non-Japanese music

I'm enjoying it immensely ...

Comment

This is interesting but not really my cup of tea:

Italian Prog - Uno

Gotta experiment when the prices are low ...

Comment

Lastly, there's this Legrand LP I didn't know existed ... apparently Japan only ... it's pretty top quality on the ball Legrand and the whole LP starts off with a bass solo ... not many musicians would get away with that but, of course he does ...

that was a present from a very generous friend ...

Comment

Wow! The Spisars look incredibly cool.
            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

The lunchtime run bears fruit.

Only the second 'terminator' I've ever found. This one will replace my old copy which has a sticker tear - funnily enough it's right where the sticker is on this copy. How do I get this off Nige?

The other LP was a bit of a punt. Private press jazz from '73 and had references to jazz-rock and a track with boogaloo in the title so it wasn't that risky. It's pretty good - upright bass, nice brass and breakz.

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                The other LP was a bit of a punt. Private press jazz from '73 and had references to jazz-rock and a track with boogaloo in the title so it wasn't that risky. It's pretty good - upright bass, nice brass and breakz.
                'Frump Trump' ...Lunchtime?
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
                  'Frump Trump' ...Lunchtime?
                  yesterday's lunching hour Rich...although I am rather peckish now.

Comment

This one will replace my old copy which has a sticker tear - funnily enough it's right where the sticker is on this copy. How do I get this off Nige?
                    Cotton bud, lighter fuel and patience, works best on laminate covers

Comment

The lunchtime run bears fruit.

Only the second 'terminator' I've ever found. This one will replace my old copy which has a sticker tear - funnily enough it's right where the sticker is on this copy. How do I get this off Nige?

The chap I visit on Grantham Market made his living as an industrial chemist (or summat along these lines) and he insists that Mr Sheen (other brands of furniture polish are available) is the best thing to lift off adhesives like this. Spray it on, let it soak in and dry, then you should be able to peel it off easy enough. As Reza says, would work best on gloss / laminates and it's always best to experiment on summat you can afford to damage first.

His advice for cleaning vinyl is to use neat Fairy Liquid (other brands of washing up detergent are available) and rub it into the grooves with your fingertips. Then rinse. I'm resolved to give this a bash as I'm finding PVA increasingly tedious. And smelly.
                      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
                        The chap I visit on Grantham Market made his living as an industrial chemist (or summat along these lines) and he insists that Mr Sheen (other brands of furniture polish are available) is the best thing to lift off adhesives like this. Spray it on, let it soak in and dry, then you should be able to peel it off easy enough. As Reza says, would work best on gloss / laminates and it's always best to experiment on summat you can afford to damage first.

His advice for cleaning vinyl is to use neat Fairy Liquid (other brands of washing up detergent are available) and rub it into the grooves with your fingertips. Then rinse. I'm resolved to give this a bash as I'm finding PVA increasingly tedious. And smelly.
                        Thanks Ben - I'll give the Mr Sheen a go. Slightly nervous as the sleeve isn't laminated.

I hate stickers (that aren't supposed to be there) on record sleeves - there are a few exceptions like those 17/6' stickers that always seem to be on Trojan LPs and I also allow those 'drastically reduced to 72p' ones which are usually on late 60's Decca LPs to remain. I've also left a minty 25p Woolworths price sticker on my copy of 'Illustrated London Noise'. Beyond that it's zero tolerance.

Comment

Got a bit of a space theme this week

Comment

True audiophiles listen while standing bolt upright, wearing only their underwear.

Good to be reminded of the finer points occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                              Wow! The Spisars look incredibly cool.
                              Yes they are. The Spisarbox is a Swedish quality product from Alstermo Bruk, makers of fine cases. Popular in the 50s and 60s, they started making them again a few years ago, but it seems they have stopped again.
                              Spisa actually means to eat, from German speisen, but in the 50s/60s it was hip lingo for "communally listening to records". That is, you'd bring your Spisarboxes over to a friend and listen to the records, safe in knowing that the records are securely stored and can be put into the correct index folder after listening.

All three colors now! They are getting increasingly popular, to a large extent as retro decoration for people without records. Happy that I could get these for a decent price as I intend to fill them with records.
                              The guy at the counter asked me if I was planning to store money in them. I looked like a question mark until I realized that he had no idea of what they were for.

------------------------------------------------------
                              "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mactheruss View Post
                                The very same. Either you're my mother-in-law or the bloke who sorts out Oxfam's records, and I claim my £5 ��
                                I wish I was the bloke sorting the records there. They seem to have a great stash hiden in the back and just now and then they release some gems.

I was there the other day and I saw those records you bought.

I just got some Ray Charles & Sam & Dave 7"s. I always find something in the 7" racks.
                                ¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Working...
                                X