No announcement yet.

july 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first post in here coz I never find nowt. Apologies for lack of photees.
    In the wilds of West Yorkshire : Pierre Henry - Cortical Art III . Life Before Death - RD Laing . Thomas Leer - Conversations .
    Quirky enough for a mention I hope. All in great nick except the Henry is the floppiest thing I've held in a while.
    Just over 30 sheets I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bandanaman View Post
      My first post in here coz I never find nowt. Apologies for lack of photees.
      In the wilds of West Yorkshire : Pierre Henry - Cortical Art III . Life Before Death - RD Laing . Thomas Leer - Conversations .
      Quirky enough for a mention I hope. All in great nick except the Henry is the floppiest thing I've held in a while.
      Just over 30 sheets I think.
      Reet gradely!

Comment

• I have continued to go through the flat clearance lot, but in all honesty it's getting weaker and weaker.
        I must have gained a few karma points though. When the gates opened to the car booter on Saturday (read: mad dash) I took aim at the competition in front of me and turned the direction he didn't take, and walked right into a promising crate. The couple was a bit vague about prices, "depends, up to £2" but I was surprised when my pile of 16 records were priced at £8 for the lot.

some blues/blues rock which didn't impress me, but there are some good tracks on the NRBQ debut

Happy to find an upgrade for Jazz på Ryska, well actually I had already let the copy I had go to a friend who needed it, so that was fortunate.
        I really like the Chappaqua soundtrack, I sometimes have problems getting into the long ragas
        The Temptations/Miracles are not their best efforts

A few Swedish ones. Hollywood by Pugh, his third, is a bit hit-or-miss, but some good tracks. Same with Monica-Monica, not the best by Monica Zetterlund, but some good organ beat here by Monica Dominique. The two Peps records are solid, his debut Blodsband is blues rock, Spår is where he turned more towards reggae. I saw him play at that time, in the town hall of the small town I grew up. He lived just outside town on a farm, and used to be on the bus when I went to school.

Two great ones by Hardy that I needed, and the great debut by Humble Pie, on Immediate.
        Revolver, ho hum? The one I had was not in great condition, the latest in a series of infinitesimal upgrades from worse to bad, so happy to get a clean play copy even though it's a canadian 70s press.
        ------------------------------------------------------
        "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

• Visiting Mum for the summer and have bought a mix of new and old things from a used record shop, a farmer market and a new record shop(!)

Sorry no pics. But thinking about doing a very mixed mix of the finds.

The Latin Jazz Quartet feat. Pharoah Sanders: Oh! Pharoah Speaks LP - Spiritual jazz meets groovy/ latin jazz, new reissue of a discount Trip release from ca. 1969
          John Coltrane: The Roulette series 10" - new reissue remastered from the original master tapes, includes one of my favorite Coltrane compositions, 'One And Four' (aka 'Mr. Day' from the Plays The Blues album)
          Little Indian: One Little Indian 12" - good indie rap from 1995, Buckwild remix
          Paul Horn & The Concert Ensemble LP - looks the biz, on Ovation, haven't had it before, Look of love, Light my fire, plenty flutes, harpsichord
          Soulful Strings: In Concert - usually not a big fan of live/concert albums but (except for Donny Hathaway, Wild Style and a few others) but a big fan Ricahrd Evans and the Cadet/Chess sound, a few groovy moments
          John Foster: Du-bi-du-bist wunderbar 7" - groovy fun Schlager/pop
          Jørgen Ingmann: El Bandito/Sahara 7" - Sahara is guitar surf with an oriental feel
          Truscott Taylor/I 5 del Sud?: Peptic 7" - Italian, sounds like the soundtrack to a gangster movie
          Berklee - A Guide to Jazz Phasing and Improvisation 7" - how very VG+ to pick this up, from 1973, hope for killer library drama yo, titles include 'The Joyous Life', 'Fly time', 'Variations on a rock motif', 'Just moving'...
          Harry Belafonte: Blues and worksongs LP - hope for something like Big boat up the river or Crawdad
          Wildon Felder: Secrets LP - solo Jazz crusader from 1985, could go either way...
          Steve Carlisle Sings WKRP in Cincinnati LP - love the cheesylicious tv theme even though I've never seen the show
          Breakin' original motion picture soundtrack LP - if you don't know me by now...
          Shakatak: Down on the street LP - I can never escape the light 80s funk memories
          Stephanie Mills: If I were your woman LP - cause 'You're Puttin' A Rush On Me' was a good song I think
          Grethe Agatz: Rytmisk musikalsk hilsen LP - Danish kiddie w breakz yo
          Change: Let's go together 12" - so-called modern soul
          Fatback Band: I found lovin' 12" - classic, euro press but still
          Stenrosen LP - Danish rock breakz yo
          Come to our surprise party - The swingin' sounds of the gate crashers LP - Stereo Gold Award, vulture classic perhaps?
          Sex Dancing - intime Melodine für intime Stunden LP - groovy "cheesecake" cover but the titles look like lame jazz, feat. Greet Kauffeld, Heinz Schacthner, Milo Pavlovic, Das Ad van der Hoed Quartett
          28 non stop hits for dancing LP - incl. Du lebst in diner Welt, MFP

And some bargain soul 7"2:
          Patrice Rushen: Forget me nots
          Gwen McCrae: Rockin' chair
          Delegation: Where is the love
          The Modulations: I can't fight your love
          Deniece Williams: Baby, baby, my love's all for you
          Latimore: Keep the home fire burnin'"
          Dorothy Moore: Here it is
          Paulinho da Costa: Deja vu
          Sharon Brown: I specialize in love
          Sister Sledge: Thinking of you
          Izhar Cohen: Illusions -Eurovision winner funk flip
          Sylvia: Lay it on me

Comment

• For the first time in a few months went out on a bit of a buying mission on Monday. I haven't felt the need to buy much in the last few months as I have a backed-up mountain of stuff not listened to / or let's say only listened to once or twice..... going back a couple of years.

I wasn't much in the mood for close scrutiny of stock or extended rummaging (what, with my knees?)... just quickly picked out some things on instinct and whim.
            In the charity shop they had a bunch of good CDs .... some were pricey at £10 which I think is over-priced .... but nice titles like Sun Ra, Beefheart, Pearls Before Swine, Blue Note jazz cds.... oh there was a bunch of things but in a locked glass cabinet which I couldn't be bothered to navigate.... I'm not paying £10 for cds though .... choosing instead to peruse the cheaper racks where I got some Neil Young, Byrds, 2 x Freddie Hubbard, Isaac Hayes, Donny Hathaway, Caravan, Mad Professor, LKJ, Hendrix and a few others. At £2 - £4 each I don't mind piling em high.

However I know that CDs are yawn-inducing to most on here so will not tarry, dally or linger too long in the CD dept..... even though I am more inclined to play cds in my old age rather than vinyl.

Oh yeah - I got the Zappa live in Vancouver 68 double cd and the Lumpy Money 3CD set too (I would have called it 'We're Only In It For The Gravy' were I in control of the project).

Vinyl purchases on the same day - the Aggrovators at King Tubbys, that DJ Format Psych-Out double, Aphex Twin Cheetah EP and the Soul Jazz 'Boombox 1' 3LP comp of early rap and electro.

The chance of finding good vinyl in the local charity shops is less than zero round here. Either they are plundered by dealers who have inside information or it evaporates like early morning mist. I have no idea. Where I used to live there was a lot of record shops and bargains, good stuff could be sourced quite readily. Where I am now - even though it's a bigger city .... no dice.
            galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

• Some 7"s from the car boot this morning, yes they do them on a Thursday morning round here. There were lots of cars
              and it was pretty busy, but I only saw 2 other record collectors (who I narrow my eyes at as we pass along the lines of cars)

Northants based folkies who released this EP on Cottage in 1977

In the same box was this lovely flexi-disc I had not stumbled across before.

A North Irish Christian spoken word oddity

Debut 1970 release by the same Music maker.

Scarce 7" promo for a 60's cleaning product company, I had no intention of playing the B side, honest.

Curious (read rubbish) single by an ex Pontins Holiday Park house band, it came with a signed photo/label,
              more info on them here

I picked up this groovy R&B single for the title alone.

Best find of the morning was in a big box of 7"s that had been gone through dozens of times before
              but nobody noticed this weird wee gem.

I have also uploaded it for you here
              The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

• That Ervin Litkei is wonderful. Thanks for the upload too!
                www.raysmith.bz

www.mixcloud.com/COSMICSLOP/

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post

Went to a smalltown. Found a Kool & the Gang in a church charity and a Dollar Brand in the sales section of the local shop. The funk is on the border to being a bit too slick for my taste, like earlier Kool better, but I'll give it some spins because it does have its moments. The jazz had me sold at the listening station with this track:

Jungle Jazz is the jam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
                    Best find of the morning was in a big box of 7"s that had been gone through dozens of times before
                    but nobody noticed this weird wee gem.

That is an absolute beauty. What a terrific find.

Comment

• Not a lot going on at the temple market this month ... but at least I didn't go home empty handed ...

Esquivel - Latin-esque with its (slightly damaged obi) and despite a few marks on the vinyl, plays very nicely ...

Nancy Sinatra - Boots 7 ...

As it gets hotter and hotter, fewer and fewer records come to the market ... dat's the way it goes
                      "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

• I'd love to be able to comment on more stuff here, but my company's firewall is blocking access to *most* of the images posted here ... just as well, or I'd do no work at all ...
                        "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

• Japanese 'Esquivel' nice!
                          Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• A July finds update. These are mostly charity shops with a few notable exceptions. Not a bad month.

A couple of albums by Iranian singer Shusha. Folky jazzy loveliness on a couple of discs that I'd passed over on a previous occasion but a change of heart yielded a nice couple of finds.

Not the most appealing cover for an LP to have. Not nearly as dreary as it looks. Superb renditions of US folk and bluegrass. Has already had a few listens which is a mark of quality considering the constant competition.

A record store purchase. A long time want in immaculate condition for 20 notes. Not bad I reckon.
                            From the same store:

All remaining record store day at half price or less. This was a tenner and I picked up the Bert Jansch 7" too. Not listened to either yet although I know the Sven Libaek from a youtube link in the RSD thread. Some nice leftovers remaining there. Is Bram Stoker worth having?

This should be a vulture classic in it's own way. A nicer copy than mine which was so battered I'd already moved it along.

Another lovely WRC sleeve on this LP of lesser known Ray Charles numbers.

Nice OG of Thom Bell sessions. I am ready for love.
                            Find of the month in a good month:

beautiful highlife. These things can be a small fortune on discogs so I finds 'em where I finds 'em. This was three quid.

Also picked up: Phil Lynott Solo in Soho, and some folk LPs which I've not given time to yet. On needle drop they sound initially
                            Strident:

Fiddle-de-dee:

Signed:

Penultimately, some old timey country from Grandpa Jones:

And finally some zydeco - don't see much zydeco about, let's face it.

Comment

• Wow, that's two finds this week that are in my flat clearance pile. The top Shusha (I have another one as well) and the Kool&The gang that Brainbomb showed
                              ------------------------------------------------------
                              "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

• The past few weeks have generated some things which are lovely to say the least, it's been a very good month.

Disco Baby will definitely appeal to those that don't know about it, some nice funky disco covers with a pinch of cheese, nice arrangements and production, the version of Pick Up the Pieces is top dollar and Spanish Boogie is killer

My favourite Persuaders album, We're Just Trying to Make It is epic. Followed by a power Of Zeus boot/reissue, plays decently enough, sounds ok.

Susan Barrett - 60's jazz pop, Mas Que Nada! Best track on the LP and the only one that doesnt crackle a lot. Cool swinging tune. I diggit.

The Soul searchers - we the people top philly soul with plenty of grooves. It was in the £2 quid bin, there's some scuffs and hairlines. Plays pretty well.

Standard fare with Ted Nugent and The Association. The jusry is still out on Family - Music In A Dolls house, I only got it because the fella in the shop randomly knocked it down to a tenner.

Kazablan OST is an interesting one, some chanson style pop amongst a couple of groovy funk/psych tracks.

The 4 Instants - Discotheque a VV staple, can't go wrong with the version of watermelon man on here.

The Rock and Gospel Erupts LP's have their moments, mostly sampley moments.

John Tropea - Short Trip To Space is amazing and a bit weird, cool as fuck jazz funk.

The T-Bones - 'No matter what shape your stomach is in' has a killer version of fever on it and side 2 has a nice drum break/bassline thing on the intro to hole in the wall which then opens out into some killer down tempo mod style organ psych groove as guitars start licking and vibraphones start ringing etc.

Skate Now Shing-a-ling reissue - interesting pop-funk grooves, some very nice tracks.

Top left is a polish jazz fusion/funk lp which sounds a bit like placebo.

Im too lazy to type any more, just ask me if you want to know anything about the ones i havnt mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                                X