No announcement yet.

july 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Drums a Go Go got "Casbah" on? (possibly with title mispelt?)

It's probably Sandy Nelson's best:

Comment

• Yeah Casbah is on there, the break down with the solo is heavy but im not a big fan of the track. The version of Boot Leg on drums a go go is murderous though.
      I need Cheetah Beat too, thats a heavy LP.

Comment

• Yeah Casbah is on there, the break down with the solo is heavy but im not a big fan of the track. The version of Boot Leg on drums a go go is murderous though.
        I need Cheetah Beat too, thats a heavy LP.

Comment

• Today's findings at oxfam so probably the stuff skip left!!!

I have no idea what this is but liked the cover

And let's not kid ourselves this was bought for the cover!

Comment

• Decent haul at a local car boot today. The following cost me the princely sum of 33p each (3 for a quid) apart from the Kendrick LP which was £1 (and a bargain as in decent nick and one of his that had eluded me):

You'll be familiar with most of these, I've no doubt.
            Honky Chateau (translucent 'red' pressing), Mud Slide Slim, Smallcreep's Day and Catch Bull At Four need no introduction.
            Psychedelic Furs I'd never listened to apart from the single Pretty In Pink. It's a decent slab of 1981 new wave/alt rock and has the lyric sheet.
            Anthony Phillips' The Goose and The Geese I'd never heard, and it's a nice proggy concept piece given ample assistance by former chums Rutherford and Collins. Indie looking label and barely been played.
            Particularly enjoyed Fuse One, which is a tasty bundle of jazz-rock wizardry featuring top notch technicians John McLaughlin, Larry Coryell, Stanley Clarke, Tony Williams and more. Hits the spot when you're in the mood for that kind of thing.
            Mannerisms is a Manfred Mann compilation of some of their early 60s stuff, which I'm quite fond of.
            Haven't had a chance to listen to the Bonnie Raitt album yet, but generally like her stuff provided it's more bluesy than AOR. This is from 1974 so hopefully ticks the boxes.
            And was chuffed to discover the 1969 TOTP (No 5) features one Reg Dwight, having a warble on Dave, Dee, Dozy etc's hit Snake In The Grass, the only time he did a Top of the Pops album while grabbing some cover album sessions to pay the bills. Passable cover of Man of the World on there, too.

Comment

• Waiting for me on my return from the beautiful mountains of North Italy was this little selection.

Paul Orwell - Organized Blues. Heavy Soul Records release of blazing organ burners from PO. In Treeboy Towers, this is top drawer fayre. No complaints whatsoever, except I missed out on the blue vinyl edition.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NkxVJ0bxyk

Okko - Sitar & Electronics. Well known I'm sure. Took ages to find a reasonable one. Does exactly what it says on the cover. Very well too. A couple of Beatles covers, all the rest are written by Humphries/ Bekker/ Binder. Don't know who Humphries & Binder are. Some very VG+ friendly sounds on here I'm sure.
              More than a nod to Hey Bulldog on this one. Nice "Sprinkling of clouds" Moogy sounds, which predate Tim Blake by a few years.

Clee's Five is a mint-up from my Dutch find. Old one rehoused already.
              Adrian Street - Breakin' bones / mighty big girl. On Canon Records from '77. Glamourous wrestler shares his passion for causing harm to his opponents in a very Rocky Horror friendly style.

The Legends - Alright / How can I find her. June '65 Miami. Alright is a Mersey styled belter, heavy on the drums & hand claps with a great, short gtr solo. One for when things are getting messy.

Chris Morgan & the togas - There she goes / would you believe. California, April '66 release. There she goes has a bit of fuzz, some cheeky organ, a poppy refrain....great fun. Would you believe owes a bit of a debt to early Animals. It's a more moody affair, but still pretty good, with some ringing 12 string.

Best 'til last.
              The Mascots - I want to live / A different mind. Swedish, Freakbeat killer from '66. Simply one of the best records I own. I could get very flowery about this 45, but it speaks for itself.

Everyone tear down your own little wall
              That keeps you from being a part of it all
              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• Oooofffff that Mascots is amazing Paul.
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Their best 45 By a margin.

Comment

• Another Ooof for Mascots. I don't think I've seen it IRL here in Sweden.
                    Gotta go to Ystad to the guy who usually has a stall at the Wednesday market.
                    He always turns up good Swedish 60s 45s, often not in top condition or PS missing, but at really good prices.
                    And he's a nice guy, always gives a little discount without asking.

I like this B-side too:
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

• Mascots I Want to Live is available on the compilation Who Will Buy These Wonderful Evils Vol II, which is a bit like a series of Swedish Nuggets: comps Swedish freakbeat, psych, garage and similar.
                      "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                      and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
                        Mascots I Want to Live is available on the compilation Who Will Buy These Wonderful Evils Vol II, which is a bit like a series of Swedish Nuggets: comps Swedish freakbeat, psych, garage and similar.
                        thank, i'll give this a spin on Spotify thats my afternoon sorted

Comment

• Visited my parents for a couple of days. Visited 3-4 charities, 1 thriftshop and 1 decidedly not very good record shop (extreme overpricing of extremely slow moving stock - they probably make more money on the books and other things they primarily sell). Then visited 4-5 charities and thriftshops on a roadtrip to various smalltowns. The result was one Hawkwing compilation that in retrospect i shouldn't have bought because it cost me £3 and I have all tracks on the original LPs except one track that I believe is 7" only and I did find it a bit bland for an early Hawkwind song anyway.

Then home again I read about an annual fleamarket in the countryside. The kind I rarely go to because of long queues, not seldom entrance fee, lots of elbowing and general madness I have a hard time putting up with these days. But I was bored on a Sunday. What do you do? No entrance fee but a long queue, and when inside some elbowing. I was about to give up on records when I noticed a small doorway in the mansion (it was on the yard) with a sign saying "Music, movies and electronics" - and I belive I was the first record punter to find the crates inside. Pulled out a Sandie Shaw that didn't do much for me, but the Maxine Weldon on the other hand! Seen it before many times, but now I picked it up for a mere £1. Not quite jazz, not quite blues, not quite soul and not quite funk. But somehow all of these more or less at the same time. Even throws in some fuzz on Ain´t Got Nobody.
                          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• Its an odd one 'Smallcreeps Day' I ignored it for years thinking it would be terrible then turned up a mint copy for a pound this year and found I actually liked it.

Oh well done on the Okko TB definitely does what it says on the tin!
                            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• Thought you'd like that Okko lp A, what with your penchant for sitarry sounds.
                              The 2nd Mascots lp (called Elpee) is worth a listen too.Less "beaty" than the 1st, more freakbeaty! If you find one of those Cratedigger, give me a shout.

Comment

• I picked up a lot of Jazz recently from Cricklewood.

Some Lovely UK Coltrane

Always happy to add some thick spined Impulse releases to the shelves

Francois Rabbath - The Sound Of A Bass This was apparently quite a go to record for Jazz bass players at the time
                                Stockhausen on Victrola
                                Battle of Algiers OST - Morricone
                                Westbrook - The Paris Album

Johnny Windemere - Where It Never Stops SA release, Sounds like Dollar Brand might be on the Keys?

This is the inner sleeve from the Johnny Windermere, Tom Jones doing his bit for Apartheid.

Roland Kirk - Volunteered Slavery

Another thing i Love about VG+, I remember a long time ago someone posting this video, step forward if your reading this.
                                It blew my mind and im super happy to pick up the album but the live jam from Montreux? is astounding.

G
                                Elephant and dwarf they call them, Pepe Kalle and his little
                                stage dancing friend Emoro.

Comment

Working...
                                X