Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• july 2016

Kicking off July with three 45s.

Dave Davies - Hold my hand / Creeping jean. This has a couple of fans on here I'm sure. Creeping Jean is a top tune. DD isn't the flashiest of guitarists, but he is very effective. I like his style. As on Lazy Old Sun, it's a stoned, disorientating sound in a pop framework. Works a treat for me. No pic sleeve, so much cheaper than usual.

Cleo Laine -If we lived on the top of a mountain / Don't you pass me by. Hands up, I didn't know this tune until I heard it as the lead out tune on LDJB's latest Eclectic Mud set on Mixcloud. Nabbed one straight away for less than a posh coffee. The lovely, lazy, brass sounds like a fuzz guitar fading in and out. Classy, cool stepper.

Last one up....Put The Immigrant Song, Polecat Woman and a touch of Magic Potion in your cauldron, give them a stir and you won't be a million miles away from.....
    Bakery - No Dying in the dark / Trust in the Lord. Got lucky on a seriously under graded cheap one. Great Australian, heavy mover from '71.

Last edited by treeboy; 01-07-2016, 10:27 PM. Reason: No "The" in Bakery
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Youch. I didn't know Bakery had non-album singles. That's one for my list.

Comment

The other one is Bloodsucker on RCA. Apparently the Astor 45 was a top 10 hit in Perth back in '71, so that should be a good hunting ground. Get Funktionnaire on the case "No Dying In the dark" is non lp, it came out around the same time as that religious lp they put out.

Comment

I don't see singles that much. And when I do they tend to be chaff. All decent local stuff seems thin on the ground. Word is that Perth was very mainstream. I can vouch for it being mainstream when I arrived in the late 80's.

Anyway, I'll put out some feelers.

Comment

Digging that Bakery Paul - proper riffage! Wish I knew you needed the DD had a spare for ages which went recently.
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I like that Cleo Laine B side, hits the spot. Now I know I said I was staying away from chazza bins, well buying anyway but 3 'Wouts' in a week on S2S in Mint condition is a sign so I duly bagged this one. I was quite pleased with myself as I left a lot of things behind I might have been tempted to buy. They'd reduced some of the jazz in the charity warehouse but cover damage put me off and it was mostly comps or non essentials. :

Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
              Digging that Bakery Paul - proper riffage! Wish I knew you needed the DD had a spare for ages which went recently.
              Sometimes only a sledgehammer hits the spot hard enough I like the lift from the Hammond though. Playing it lots on the old Hacker, can't wait to get it on the hi fi....if we ever get sorted

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                Cleo Laine -If we lived on the top of a mountain / Don't you pass me by.
                I too bought that single for the B side but was then blown away by the A side:

and haven't played the B side since!

Comment

Here are a few of my recent finds.

Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes ‎– Prayin 45

Very much into Teddy Pendergrass and Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes at the moment. This is a later track of theirs, I am definately adding it to my 'would play at a wedding' list, Absolute BELTER.

Gwen McCrae ‎– All This Love That I'm Givin' Reissue 12

Pleased to find a working copy, originally released on a Cat 45.

Ruff Kut Records - Compilation From 1991

Ruff Kut records was based in Stevenage, I was born in Stevenage 3 years earlier, Other than that i dont have much Knowledge of this stuff.

DJ Godfather ‎– Work That! EP

From Hamtramck, Michigan. Picked up a little pile of Detroit 12's. This has introduced me to a genre Discogs lists simply as Ghetto

Gene Clark ‎– No Other

Im yet to give this a proper listen but am aware of the appreciation GC solo albums get around here.

Neil Young ‎– On The Beach

Chuffed to finally have this in my collection. Ive been listening to it for years, I Love 'For the turnstiles' and would advise seeking out The Be Good Tanyas version.

G
                  Last edited by george; 04-07-2016, 06:57 PM.
                  Elephant and dwarf they call them, Pepe Kalle and his little
                  stage dancing friend Emoro.

Comment

That Ruff Kut LP is stupid rare. Oooof!

Comment

Dragged myself out out bed at 6am on Sunday morning, wondering why I bother as there'll be no records today, whats the point and why do I put myself through it. Arrived at the ol' booter and it was only half full, so already not looking promising. Balls. Anyway, first box of records looked like it had been given a good going over by some geezer ahead of me, but a quick dip pulled out these.

I was familiar with The Jazz At Toad Hall LP, and the Francis Bay and NYJO were mainly for the covers, but very pleased to pull the Daly-Wilson lp for 50p, and in great condition as well. "Dirty Feet" is a stormer, for those not familiar. Mobb Deep sample aiiiight.

Was fairly happy with those and thinking that would be it, wandered round the corner to three boxes. Sitting right at the front was a Son Of Bazerk 12, nice! Grabbing that, the next record in was a Main Source LP, and then the next record was Chill Rob G on Wild Pitch and then Masta Ace, and on and on. 3 big boxes of late 80's - early 90's US & UK hip hop and dance, all in great nick. Got about 25 for £20, and ran out of cash, as I hadn't expected the hip hop motherlode to appear. Anyway, I had a wander round the other sellers and when I popped back 20 mins later to spend me last coins, the whole lot was gone so happy that I managed to grab what was hopefully the good stuff before it disappeared.

I knew the NWA & The Posse LP, but hadn't realised how rare it is on this Malaco label. And NWA followed by Tim Dog, oh how I chuckled. Son Of Bazerk, Chill Rob G and Main Source in the bag.

UMC's Give The Drummer Some on Next Plateaux 12, Gang Starr, EPMD and Jungle Brothers. Low End Theory is later reish, sleeve a bit damaged, damn. Great to find a Blade 12" on his 691 label. I used to see him wandering around Lewisham back in the 90's, and I never did stop him to buy a record as he told everyone to do.

Hijack's Doomsday Operation and the Badman Is Robbin' 12's, and first couple of DJ Shadow on Mo Wax. Sabres Of Paradise and Underworld making up the dance end.

Also got a Duke Reid on Trojan & a Young Holt Unlimited lp (cover knackered, record in great nick) out the hip hop boxes. After that lot, a wander round the rest of field threw up the Carol Lee Scott LP (signed, naturally), a couple of indie reggae LP's and an 80's instructional LP teaching kids not to talk to strangers, including a real fun colouring book.

(Sorry about pics btw, spots always make the records look worse than they actually are.)

Comment

Popped into one of my local chazzas today and was pleased to find their regular £1 clearout was underway. These were well worth nabbing:
                        Anthony Phillips - Private Parts & Pieces 3 (RCA 1982). Guitar pieces with Enrique Berro Garcia - some lovely stuff, mostly Spanish/flamenco but with the odd piece venturing into Pink Floyd wigout territory.
                        Manitas Et Les Siens - Manitas De Plata live at Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer. More guitar magic. Lovely 1967 CBS copy (orange label) in great nick.
                        The Association Greatest Hits (Warner 1969). Great nick and some cracking psych/folky/poppy songs I'm sure many of you are familiar with.
                        The World of Blues Power (Decca 1969 Stereo) -quality mix with Peter Green and Clapton era Bluesbreakers, Savoy Brown, Ten Years After and more. Tasty.

Comment

Wow on the hip hop haul. I always take at least £100 to bootfairs just on the off chance ill hit a rich vein

Comment

Great Haul Bennyboy bit of everything to satisfy the ears there.

Funnily enough Mac I picked up that Manitas LP (must have getting on 10 of his LP's now I keep meaning to look its not a re-release of something I have, its in the listen list.) the other week to add to the growing collection of classical guitar and flamenco no one seems to want these days. A rich vein of powerful music indeed!
                            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Not really a find, more of a long term search finally fulfilled in today's post

Comment

Working...
                              X