No announcement yet.

August 2016 finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a steelband record so it's a 99% chance it will be terrible (or badly recorded, or both) but fingers crossed for you!

Comment

• Yeah but there,s also a cover of "Ymca" so you know its gonna be good :-)
      Will report back when it arrives, sorry cant do the sound clip thing.
      Cheers

Comment

• My main finds this month are from a very brief visit to Bangor on the Gwynedd riviera. The cathedral closes at 1pm on a Saturday to deter tourists from attempting to visit the city so instead I wandered around the charity shops and the sprawling second hand/junk emporium that is 'Relics'.

An American edition of a record that I have on UK 10 inch, Peter Sellers ‎– The Best Of Sellers:

Tom Lehrer ‎– That Was The Year That Was:

A gamble from a charity shop bin on the strength of the cover and the nonsense written on the back, it's sort of comedy country-ish, Snuffy Garrett ‎– Listen To This:

No trip to Wales is complete without the purchase of a Max Boyce record, Max Boyce ‎– In Touch With Max Boyce:

Fred Wedlock ‎with Chris Newman – In Person Live:

Enjoyed finding this one! Freddie 'Parrotface' Davies ‎– The Stories Of The Pied Piper & Snow White:

Equally no trip to Wales is complete without the purchase of an obscene rugby singalong album, The First XV ‎– Rugger Ditties:

Jessie Matthews and Jon Pertwee ‎– Children's Favourites:

Now for the non-Wales section, Noel Murphy ‎– Murphy And The Bricks:

Johnny Gregory And His Orchestra ‎– Channel Thrill!:

Jilted John ‎– True Love:

Ivor Biggun ‎– Bras On 45:

Ian 'Sludge' Lees ‎– Viva England!

One I have been after for a while, Roy (Chubby) Brown ‎– Common As Muck:

Leslie Crowther & Bernie Winters ‎– The World I'd Like To See:

From her first West End show in 1954, Joyce Grenfell ‎– Requests The Pleasure:

I'm always pleased to see a new comedy album released, so I picked up this double vinyl newbie from David Brent & Foregone Conclusion ‎– Life On The Road:

And not a newbie, but thanks to Eric Idle and a marker pen the cover art is now a bespoke limited edition of one, Eric Idle and Neil Innes ‎– The Rutland Weekend Television Song Book:

The Downstairs Lounge
        http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
        http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

• Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
          Jessie Matthews and Jon Pertwee ‎– Children's Favourites:

The first LP I ever owned. Somehow it got very badly warped but was still just about playable and I still associate the first track with watching the tonearm trying to keep up with the disk.
          Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

• I found that Snuffy Garrett but I think I purged it, was your copy signed Brett?

On a side note the youngest managed to get in his chosen Uni of Bangor so I'll be making a trip up there myself a few times in the coming years not that I've not been before, that second hand shop is great! It also boasts a fine noodle bar which I hope has not closed down since my last visit.
            Last edited by amidar; 31-08-2016, 05:14 PM. Reason: noodles
            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• Originally posted by amidar View Post
              I found that Snuffy Garrett but I think I purged it, was your copy signed Brett?

On a side note the youngest managed to get in his chosen Uni of Bangor so I'll be making a trip up there myself a few times in the coming years not that I've not been before, that second hand shop is great! It also boasts a fine noodle bar which I hope has not closed down since my last visit.
              Snuffy is not signed, must be the only one that isn't. I didn't spot a noodle bar but then wasn't particularly looking for one having had a slap up breakfast in St Asaph earlier that day. St Asaph is great for cathedrals but has about four shops, none of which sell records.

Originally posted by Mang View Post
              The first LP I ever owned. Somehow it got very badly warped but was still just about playable and I still associate the first track with watching the tonearm trying to keep up with the disk.
              The equivalent for me would be Wally Whyton and his 50 All-Time Children's Favourites featuring trademark scary clown cover art.
              The Downstairs Lounge
              http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
              http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

• A wet field in west Wales in mid-August - it's almost a cliché that this should turn up...

A bit of a mixed bag, but 4-5 great tracks

Comment

• Well Done Tom!
                  Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• Meic Stevens? Can I suggest an ooofff, or is that an over-reaction?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mactheruss View Post
                      Meic Stevens? Can I suggest an ooofff, or is that an over-reaction?
                      I'd go as far as caps-lock... OOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFT!!!!!!!!
                      Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

• Thats a Da Iawn from Me Tom B. I will be DJing in Festival Number 6 in between a set from the man himself.

Found a copy myself last year and sold it on . I couldn't see myself listening to it because of its rarity , plus the two best songs were pressed on a Festival 45 in France in 75.

Between this and Bran Hedfan you have the 2 Welsh big ticket Lps mate
                        sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

• Some recent doormat finds:

Golden Dawn Arkestra - Stargazer - thanks to the recommendation on here
                          Pye Corner Audio - Stasis
                          Michael Tanner - Suite For Psaltery and Dulcimer
                          Mary Lattimore - Beyond The Dam - harpist, recommended by a couple of people on Waxidermy

A few charity buys from a few weeks back:

Percy Mayfield - nice comp on Ace, half are previously unreleased. After a few hours listening to a selection of terrible easy listening records, this sounded so good, a reminder of what great music sounds like.
                          Patsy Cline - In Memoriam always try and pick up proper country artists, but rarely see much country other than Jim Reeves or Slim Whitman or later cheap looking comps. Sound could be better on this, not sure if just the UK Ember pressing
                          Josh White / Carl Sandburg - didn't actually spot the second name, this is budget label job with tracks taken from two 10" LPs. Sound is quite lo-fi, sounds almost like a 78 transfer on the Josh White
                          John Williams / Julian Bream - Together - love a bit of classical guitar and seem to be going completist on these chaps. Was missing this one. Nice RCA Red Seal job
                          Dave Travis - Sings Hank Williams - got one or two instrumental ones that will probably get purged one day. This is passable, from memory I think the band is pretty good, but he's no Hank
                          Also it's got this strange doodle on the back:

Peter Hall / G.P. Hall - thanks to the BIN board.

couple from Emmaus in Battle from a trip to the south coast.
                          Light of the World - Round Trip - Brit jazzfunk, sound and playing is impressive, not sure it's a keeper though
                          Kraftwerk - Radio-Aktivität - sadly sticker sheet missing. Had this on CD in the 90s but sold it. After reading the Wolfgang Flür autobiography wanted to hear it again (youtube can provide) and it was much better than I remembered.

Missed the shops in Bexhill (they shut at 4pm!). Also on the holiday I went to Rye and didn't go into Schoolhouse Records (although have found the time/reward ratio not great in the past there), didn't get a chance to go to Atlas Sound in Hastings. Should have gone to Eastbourne and missed the shop there as well to make it a full house.

Did get 20 minutes or so in the Emmaus warehouse in Hastings for another monster 50p-each tat haul:

Expect this lot was some other digger's clearout. The Dollar Brand and Dudu Pakwana are pretty trashed, possibly played on a cheap turntable. The latter has some weird notebook pages in with some strange drawings too, so possibly a teenager/student previous owner.
                          First Edition also pretty noisy, and "I Just Dropped In..." skips
                          The Wayne Shorter isn't too bad and looks like it might clean up. Only a 70s dark blue label though.

Quintessence - I have this already on a test pressing with a weird hand decorated sleeve, and it smells of patchouli when played. Can't really remember it at all.
                          Three Dog Night - Golden Bisquits - never really seen much of their stuff around bar the hit singles, but they seem to have made loads of albums and done well in the US. This is a US comp with fold out sleeve. Probably going to start seeing their LPs everywhere now and had just been blanking them out.
                          Intergalactic Touring Band - looked promising from sleeve (spacey synths? synthy instro prog? spacey disco?) but then noticed it was on Charisma. Took the 50p chance anyway and it turned out to have a big booklet inside with some 70s sci-fi drawings (probably the best bit about it) which listed the credits. It's a sci-fi rock concept album, with Status Quo, Meatloaf and Ben E. King (!?) and a few others, although you wouldn't really notice the guest stars (unlike say "War of the Worlds"). There's a few synth-y bits, and the writers have a distinctive sound, but I'll stick with ELO "Time"
                          Francoise Hardy - Voilà - she seems to have some fans round here, presumably has better records than this?

Glenn Gould - Well Tempered Clavier - something decent at last, 4 LPs there for a quid
                          Perlman/Previn - Mendelssohn & Bruch Violin Concertos - only an 80s pressing unfortunately
                          David & Igor Ostrakh - Bach Double Violin Concertos - have a couple of versions on CD, but nothing at all by these two.

Feliciano! - one of my first Easy listening buys and still a favourite, but lost my mint copy years ago and have been trying to mint up from the scratched housemate's copy I ended up with for a while. This is an improvement, but still on the lookout for a completely clean one.
                          Nana Mouskouri - Turn On The Sun - has the nice 'Open Your Eyes' on it, but I like her voice anyway, sort of a nicer Joan Baez. Was going to pinch my parents' copy of this years ago but theirs had a click on that track.
                          Bert Kaempfert - Yesterday and Today - brown sleeve, Circle of Sound logo, no not "Moody" but this stinker. Don't recall this mentioned before on the board, unless it was in the Lords of Lounge on the old site, but it looks like it might have potential (50% originals, 50% rock'n'roll covers), but it's drippy easy-listening, without even the usual Kaempfert electric bass to liven things up.
                          Disco Lady Tribute to Donna Summer - heard some of the Barry White LP on Chevron recently, thought this had a small chance of something interesting - covers of stuff like "I Feel Love" are worth checking out when people don't have a roomful of analogue synths and try and write an arrangement for it instead (e.g. Paul Mauriat's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBGKplzVk0c !)

Relax With Nelson Riddle bit too early/smooth but a nice World Record Club sleeve (reissue of "The Tender Touch")

Comment

• Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                            A few charity buys from a few weeks back:
                            Can't edit, but forgot the Hubert Wolf and his Electronic Zither - The New Sound on Gemini - Terrible!

Comment

• Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
                              Found a copy myself last year and sold it on . I couldn't see myself listening to it because of its rarity , plus the two best songs were pressed on a Festival 45 in France in 75.

Between this and Bran Hedfan you have the 2 Welsh big ticket Lps mate
                              The Bran LP is long gone I'm afraid - a bit like you, couldn't see myself playing it too often. Enjoy Festival Number 6!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                                A wet field in west Wales in mid-August - it's almost a cliché that this should turn up...

A bit of a mixed bag, but 4-5 great tracks
                                I will fetch my coat on the way out...
                                Great find! Well done

Comment

Working...
                                X