No announcement yet.

August 2016 finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice haul Bongo particularly like the percussive space age pop find. I found that Hypnotist record last year not sure whether I used it on my XMAS mix or its gone on to some tuneage I've made then again I could be confusing it with another 'Stop Smoking' albeit 7 inch record I found. Apart from the odd spin of 'Magic Fountains' in what are probably bouts of mental instability I don't think there is one good Manuel record but I am happy to be proved wrong!

That Munrow record is class and really educational the amount of work he did on this sort of thing getting these old instruments made for him (not to mention playing them all to a high standard.) and researching is astonishing. His Bipolar was both his genius and devil, very sad end and reminded me that record in particular introduced me to him, fascinating man full of joy and enthusiasm for his work which comes across in everything he did.
    Last edited by amidar; 06-08-2016, 12:48 AM. Reason: Munrow
    Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
      Family of Mann - First Light - had this years ago but sold it. Sounds funkier than I remembered
      discussion on Waxidermy about old Herbie at the moment. I think this one takes me up to 17 - who is the VG+er with 20+?

and getting close to that on Munrow - 14 I think although that includes a couple of box sets and also the Shirley Collins, Young Tradition, and Roundtable LPs he's on.

the recorder one with Neville Marriner playing Telemann and Handel is very nice, picked that up fairly recently

Comment

Edwin Heath is Avatar worthy surely?
        EH"Close your eyes and think of a quiet place...."
        Me "You can f+++ right off you crazy looking man!"
        Everyone tear down your own little wall
        That keeps you from being a part of it all
        Because you've got to be one with the one and all
        You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

Then later in the day at the street market:

The Milcho Leviev Quartet - Blues For The Fisherman (Mole Jazz - MOLE 1). Not sure about this one yet, but it was cheap, so I took a leap.

Earlier in the week a cheap copy of this turned up:

Ella At Duke's Place 1965. Didn't know this one but the reviews seemed promising. As always, Ella's voice is incredible. I don't know the songs well yet.

Milcho Leviev
          : If you haven't already check out Sad A Little Bit Heard this on Humphrey Lyttelton's BBC radio show when it first released ('81 was it?). I wrote it down on a piece of paper which stayed with me until I finally bought a copy on ebay a bout 5 years ago. Of course soon after that I found another copy in a chazza.

Ella At Duke's Place
          - That one I have too - when I absorbed my parent's small collection into mine last year.

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post

Milcho Leviev
            : If you haven't already check out Sad A Little Bit Heard this on Humphrey Lyttelton's BBC radio show when it first released ('81 was it?).
            Thanks candiman, I'll keep an eye out for it.
            "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Some chazza, some doormat, lots from a mates late sisters' collection.

The 2 heaps in top left of the photo were freebies from my mates sisters' collection. She was his older sister. Music obsessed, as is he. Their parents are proper hoarders. The dad died a little while ago. The mum is losing it slowly, which is sad, but it does make clearing the house a bit easier.It's taken over a month to clear one bedroom to the point where it just looks really untidy now. Tucked away under stacks of 60s 70s and 80s travel brochures was the record collection of my friends departed sister. I got to go through them before the rest were shipped off to the chazza. Loads of Beatles, Stones, T Rex, some nifty mainstream funky 45s....I didn't really NEED any of it, but a lot of them are better condition copies of stuff I have already. The Renault 21 flexi was one of his mums!

Dianne & The New Worlds - Tamla Hits. Stereo Gold Award exploit goodness with a handful of not very Tamla psychy jams with breaks all over them for people who get excited by that sort of thing. Ten bob well spent. Of course you'll know these tunes from other SGA lps.

Silver Apples - Oscillations / Whirly Bird. Repro from earlier this year of their 1st 45. Good job.

Greek Theatre - Sunstone ep. Only played this once so far but it's wonderful. Cheers for making this stuff a reality Sie

David McWilliams - Days of Pearly Spencer. 20p means I can ditch the lp now.

Chris & Craig - Isha / I need you. Chris Ducey & Craig Smith who later formed the Penny Arkade turn in a nice Eastern tinged, pop/psych 45 from July '66. Nothing on Youtube amazingly!

Hyperglo - Experiment in colour. 90s cover of the fantastic garage 45 by The Blues Company. Competent version.

Christie Lane - Johnny Remember me / I need the sun. Top version of "Johnny", couldn't find a clip.

Feminine Complex - Hide & Seek. Wurlitzer Jukebox 90s repro of this killer, creepy, girlie pop/psych job

SWap shop ep- nabbed it from the chazza to remind myself of the theme. Needn't have bothered really.

Tapiman - Love Cpountry / Walking along the line. Spanish, '71 LC has great drums, congas and nice snakey lead guitar lines. Shit Youtube clip available, which gives you very little idea how good the 45 sounds.
              Last edited by treeboy; 07-08-2016, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Have that Feminine Complex LP and it's good but Hide&Seek is the standout track together with the psychey (or at least popsike) It's Magic:

"Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

Found this 45 in a 25p bin today, I couldn't find anything about it online but as Argos came into being circa '73
                  with the death of 'Green Shield Stamps' (I can't be the only one here who remembers them!) I'd date this somewhere
                  around the mid 70's. It's got around 5 different jingles and songs on it, the best of which is this one
                  At a guess I'd say it was used as a promo maybe at some trade fair or other, I can't imagine them ever selling it.
                  1973 was the year that Argos started - the first catalogue (https://issuu.com/retromash/docs/argos-no01-1973-74) was launched in the summer of that year by the guy who invented green shield stamps and was inspired by the US catalogue shops. It was launched with a show - "complete with dancers and specially written songs". Which must be where this 45 originates.
                  "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
                    Have that Feminine Complex LP and it's good but Hide&Seek is the standout track together with the psychey (or at least popsike) It's Magic:

I remember reading somewhere that Hide & Seek was a hit in America somewhere. I checked and couldn't find any other reference to it being a 45 release, so I suppose I was wrong to call it a reissue.
                    Nice one to have an og of Brainbomb

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post

Chris & Craig - Isha / I need you. Chris Ducey & Craig Smith who later formed the Penny Arkade turn in a nice Eastern tinged, pop/psych 45 from July '66. Nothing on Youtube amazingly!
                      Interesting!

Nice haul sir. You don't see that Diane and the new worlds too much anymore.

What's on that Ventures ep? I'm guessing 'Walk. Don't Run' will be on it given the title?

I've got a great spy themed one they did: https://www.discogs.com/Ventures-Sec...elease/6588637
                      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Some bits and bobs from a busy weekend booting. I saw a huge box of CDs in the back of someones car
                        and asked to have a dig through, wondering how much they were she said "whatever, 25p each - 5 for a quid"
                        I pulled out some Eno, Beatles, Hendrix, Bonzos etc and there were about 50 so I offered £10 and she said
                        "oh for Christsakes just have the lot for a tenner!" so I came away with a lot of the buggers but I'm going to have
                        to do a cheap CD stall at a car boot somewhere as I now have instant stock!

the odd singles

early 70's German Pop

I now have Freds' old copy of this Easy Listening EP

How nice to find a train record I didn't already have!

Goth Rock on Motherkare Records

In with several other mostly UK FX albums was this weird US one

I picked up another Mikron Theatre LP earlier this year, this is one from a couple of years later,
                        originally only available by narrowboat

Nicest find of the day was this 12" from 1986 with 3 different versions of the Dr Who theme in a fancy hologram sleeve
                        The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

An unexpected trip to Glasgow last week allowed time for a wee trawl around the shops.

Found this long time and harder than you would have thought reasonably possible want:

Slightly-delic. It's the Mike Vickers involved side you want.

Also found one of these:

Easily the best copy I've ever had in my hands. Sleeve is like new and vinyl is minty. Great LP and was a contender for my VV / VG+ 10 LPs list

Also made a couple of cheap punts.

Firstly

The jury is still out on this one. The 'rock' band is a bit polite and do they really need that many singers all at once? Cant' find any details on the WWW about this at all.

Also got a copy of this (sorry forgot to take a pic): https://www.discogs.com/Andr%C3%A9-P...elease/5286569

which turned out to have a rather splendid track on it!

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
                            Some bits and bobs from a busy weekend booting. I saw a huge box of CDs in the back of someones car
                            and asked to have a dig through, wondering how much they were she said [I]"whatever, 25p each - 5 for a quid"
                            Wow! Nice hawl, Head Gardener. When you've taken out what you need, you'll have enough left over to sell and pay for what you kept. That's always in the back of my mind, when I'm digging ...
                            "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                              Interesting!

Nice haul sir. You don't see that Diane and the new worlds too much anymore.

What's on that Ventures ep? I'm guessing 'Walk. Don't Run' will be on it given the title?

I've got a great spy themed one they did: https://www.discogs.com/Ventures-Sec...elease/6588637
                              Things got a lot more interesting for Craig Smith. Flying to close to the sun or something, he transformed into Maitreya Kali, and did a couple of lps of "out there" stuff. Mike Stax is a bit obsessed with the guy and has written a book about him.
                              I was going to post a link to Discogs for the Ventures ep, but it doesn't appear to be listed on there.
                              Tracks are; Walk Don't Run, Ram-Bunk-Shush, Silver City, Perfidia. Liberty LEP 2131.
                              Didn't know about the Cilla lp Lee.

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post

which turned out to have a rather splendid track on it!

Also on a french 45RPM : https://www.discogs.com/Free-Cats-Le...elease/2410970

I think i prefer the track Totem that's on your LP.

Comment

Working...
                                X