August 2016 finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by amidar View Post
    Suite London gets an OOffff from me kind of ties in with the orchestration thread as the recording of that album is just a feast for the ears, hope its in reasonable nick!

I got a very old Karl Denver album this year maybe even pre Wimoweh at first listen it sounded like it might have promise, couple of tracks at least so its in the sample box for the end of year swap if it happens.
    Thanks guys! Yeah suite is in great nick. all the other Peddlers records were in the bargain bins, but this one was full price. Not crazy, but the cheaper end of what it is on discogs. Had to get as I'd wanted it for ages & never seen in the wild.

I saw Karl Denver in a pantomime when I was a kid (think it was around the time he was on the Happy Mondays album). He wasn't even weaved into the story, just came on part way through with a guitar & played what I assumed was one of his hits. Even as a child I knew that was some bullshit.

Comment

• Not an original copy just a US re-press

Comment

• Never seen a Suite London in the wild either, nice pull. That Trubrot package looks good too.

My favourite charity shop reopened after a short break recently. Grabbed a few bits but this was the top find, Errol Dunkley on Arawak with the excellently named Dreadful Julio on dubbed out harp for 33p. I also returned to the box I'd previously found the US stand up LP's and rave 12's, and grabbed another couple of classic rave tunes. Banging. And to round it off, an odd private press from the late 60's, of welsh singer Megan Thomas. Cover looked like acid folk of the highest order, actually light operattas, one side entitled "Megan Thomas at 75 years of age', and the other 'Megan Thomas at 76 years of age'. Still, a desirable LP apparently.

Comment

• Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
          Never seen a Suite London in the wild either, nice pull. That Trubrot package looks good too.

The Trubrot is great. Melodic prog, Icelandic private press (I think) but recorded at Sound Techniques. Cover is a pretty trashed, and there's a few surface scratches but nothing that affects play. Mint copies seem to be ridiculous money on popsike anyway, so score, I guess. Was thinking of flipping it, but it's genuinely great record.

Comment

• Just realised I'd forgotten a couple. so part 2...

Allegedly, Deep Purple doing exploito cash in psych rock from 1968. On the same label as Animated Egg.

Not the cooler (and more expensive) Silence pressing, but still a jam

Comment

• Were you a Viking in a previous life PG? Nice finds btw

Everyone tear down your own little wall
              That keeps you from being a part of it all
              Because you've got to be one with the one and all
              You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

• Originally posted by amidar View Post
                I reckon 'Di-Gue-Ding-Ding' track one has been used as incidental music for years one of those 'ah that's what that tune is moments'.
                after the Karminksys comped it, it turned up in quite a few places - like this Twix advert:

Comment

• Exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of Sir Slim.
                  Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• Just a couple today this for 50p some spoken word I've been meaning to buy for a while, its never left the chazza warehouse, not the most cultured lot who frequent the place:

Causley Reads Causley

Tino Esteves And The Americanos ‎– Latino! Society label, could be a gem or on the other hand could be bloody awful:

Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                      Were you a Viking in a previous life PG? Nice finds btw

hahaha! they're a family heirloom of my mrs, apparently. Inherited them and a bunch of Welsh blankets.

Comment

• Major score on the Trubrot. Well done.
                        https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

• All of these were from the same complex as the arty glass bowl.

Stockhausen - Kontakte + Refrain (on Candide) - $2. NM/Ex (some ring wear).
                          A spare. The one I have is marked for disposal. I remember almost nothing about it. Only that everything that I have heard by Stockhausen has been a complete drag (dude). I suppose that I should listen to it again.

Lars Jansson Trio – Sadhana. $2. NM/Ex+
                          Early eighties jazz. Jansson’s writing seems fairly mainstream. Pleasant, but unremarkable. But there is a fair amount of improv. Some of the pieces are just improv. And his cohorts add a fair bit of pep. And they finish with a marimba piece, which adds variety (it could have gone on longer for my money). Worth a few more listens.

Lennart Aberg – Partial Solar Eclipse. $2. Vg /VG+. The LP has one small serious piece of crud on it. Otherwise it would be NM. (on Japo (via ECM))
                          Jazz orchestra work. The music is in six parts. Tumultuous (I). Other (II). Like “Stolen Moments”(III). Danceable, but with indulgent soloing (IV). Pleasantly calming (V). Conventional and mainstream (VI). Verdict – good; but goodbye.

Harbison – Piano Concerto, & Stock - Inner Space. $2. NM/Ex+. (CRI)
                          Conventional modern classical. According to the sleeve the Harbison piece won the 1980 Kennedy Center/Freidheim Award. Only one listen so far. Not a complete drag, by any means. Pretty good, I suppose. But I suspect that it will still end up leaving.

I have recently acquired a number of Takemitsu records on favourable terms. I am starting to get ‘ínto’ him. This is intriguing and annoying. Annoying because it makes me wonder if I should again sit through all of the classical stuff that I have recently dismissed. Such as Stockhausen.

Comment

• I listen to the Tibetan Bells LP on Youtube sometimes. It has one very nice track on it. I have missed buying it on line on occasion.

I passed on the Tino Esteves earlier today. Full details please, as it might still be there.

I've seen a spate of Sandy Bown recently. Nothing on the sleeves tempted me. I must focus more when I am shopping.

And I must keep my eye out for Trubrot.
                            Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 20-08-2016, 04:08 PM. Reason: "buying"

Comment

• Odds and ends from an early morning digging trip to a wet field in Northamptonshire.

Electronic-Classical-Prog for men with beards by Hodgson & Simpson.

Electronic-Musique-Concrète for schools by Daphne Oram & Vera Gray.

Music composed for 'The Womens League of Health & Beauty' by Barbara Furniss,
                              it is signed on the back and came with a live show programme.

Super to find this great album by Jellyfish but the sleeve was well tatty, luckily the 2 x vinyls are dandy.

I was pleased to turn up some sweet sevens all on the same stall, the same woman always turns
                              up with dozens of boxes of LPs (£2 a pop) and 7"s for 50p always has unusual stuff.
                              I also pulled clean and tidy Jeff Beck, Zeppelin, Clash albums

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by smartiepants View Post
                                got this itch that i need to scratch about getting a nice vintage turntable (Thorens TD-160)
                                That's what I've got. It's served me well for 20 years but I have a hankering for a Denon DP47- not that I can afford one.

Originally posted by Skip View Post
                                Karl Denver was purchased out of a general interest to see if anything he recorded compared to Wimoweh for bonkersness. It's a good album but the answer to my question appears to be no.
                                Have you seen this video? As lord Thames once said at about 1.40 the guitar solo actually comes out of the guitarist's mouth.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Working...
                                X